Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496879 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2135 on: July 29, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »
Tim you are so succinct. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2136 on: July 29, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »
I like The Speed of Love. It has kind of a cool, laid back vibe, although I will admit that I can totally see why many do not care for it. 

As for the lyrics to Nobody's Hero, they are very jarring and in-your face, especially that first line. Some old buddies at the time the record come out were turned off immediately by the song because of the lyrics.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2137 on: July 29, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »
*sigh*

Well I guess since we're being negative anyway, I'm curious. What's everyone's LEAST favourite Rush album?

For me it'd have to be Roll The Bones, that album just seemed way more one-dimensional than their other work & some of the later tracks are straight-up bad (Heresy, Neurotica). All in all it seems like it was trying to be such a singles-oriented album, but the singles are *at best* on-par with the rest of Rush's 80s & 90s singles (if not slightly below).

I agree with all of this.  RTB is by far my least favorite album.  And I consider Neurotica, Face Up, Heresy, and You Bet Your Life to be the top 4 worst Rush songs ever made....and The Big Wheel isn't much better.   The other 5 tracks save it from being a total loss.

Bet Your Life is an amazing song.  Lyrically not as deep as some of Neil's best but still a lot to chew on.  And the outro is just glorious!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2138 on: July 29, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
 ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2139 on: July 29, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »
Nobody's Hero is a great song but the opening verses are cringeworthy.

So Neil writing about a real friend who's sexual orientation was different was cringeworthy?
Not that,  I just thought the part where it said "I went to his parties as the straight minority, it never seemed a threat to my masculinity" is a bit cheesy..
Sorry if I came across that way though..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: July 29, 2017, 05:07:21 PM »
Not at all.  Don't worry.  But that was the truth.   Neil used to go to his friend's parties and was the straight minority.
For Neil's lyrics,  it sounds very straightforward and I think that's why it threw people off.

Also what Kev said.  Mostly dudes listened to Rush.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2141 on: July 29, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »

Also what Kev said.  Mostly dudes listened to Rush.

Yup. I listened to Rush as the straight minority.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: July 29, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »
Dont lie you owned Polyhedral Dice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2143 on: July 29, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
Not sure I even know what that is. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: July 29, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »
Yeah, yeah. Whatever   lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2145 on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:16 PM »
No idea.  :)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2146 on: July 29, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »
It's a reference to role playing games.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2147 on: July 29, 2017, 11:04:30 PM »
Speaking of the lyrics to Nobody's Hero, I never really got how the chorus was meant to relate to the rest of the song. Like, the verses are pretty clearly about the deaths of people they knew, but the chorus says they're "nobody's hero" & then says a bunch of things they didn't do. What's it meant to mean? That it's odd that we mourn people who aren't heroes? & speaking of which, how is a "glamour girl who'd love to sell her soul" a hero? What's the connection?
:justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2148 on: July 29, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »
It may not seem like it, but gay rights have made a lot of progress over the past 20 years.  Back in the day, when a famous person died, if they were out and championed gay rights, the word "hero" was sometimes tossed around.  This person was a "hero" for being brave enough to step out, speak up, fight back, etc.  Neil is saying No, this person is not a hero.  He didn't save a dying child, or rush into a burning building, or anything like that.  Yeah, maybe he did something that in some small way has changed the world, but let's not go overboard with the praise.  Each verse is like a separate story of someone who some might consider a hero.  To Neil, these people weren't heroes, they were just people.  At least that's my take on it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2149 on: July 30, 2017, 06:46:06 AM »
Speaking of the lyrics to Nobody's Hero, I never really got how the chorus was meant to relate to the rest of the song. Like, the verses are pretty clearly about the deaths of people they knew, but the chorus says they're "nobody's hero" & then says a bunch of things they didn't do. What's it meant to mean? That it's odd that we mourn people who aren't heroes? & speaking of which, how is a "glamour girl who'd love to sell her soul" a hero? What's the connection?
:justjen

The lyrics there is:

"Not the glamour girl who'd love to sell her soul"

Each chorus lists people should be heroes in the first half:

-saves a drowning child
-cures a wasting disease
-lands the crippled airplane
-solves great mysteries
-is the voice of reason against the howling mob
-is the pride of purpose in the unrewarding job

And then people who shouldn't be heroes in the second half:

-the handsome actor who plays a hero's role
-the glamour girl who'd love to sell her soul
-not the champion player who plays the perfect game (I have always suspected Michael Jordan was the inspiration for this line)
-not the glamour boy who'd love to sell his name

The chorus relates to the rest of the song because he gives examples of how regular people do heroic things all the time, and the two people he spoke of who died in the verses were just regular people, while people often call people heroes who should be "nobody's hero," like the champion player or the glamour girl.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2150 on: July 30, 2017, 06:47:45 AM »
Right, Kev.

I have always taken the lyrics to mean that everyone is a hero of some sort, to somebody. They may not fit society's definition of a hero, as described in the chorus, but each verse shows that everyone's own story is important and special.

It's actually one of my favorite Rush songs, and lyric.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2151 on: July 30, 2017, 06:53:37 AM »
As jarring as the lyrics are in that first verse, I think that the song overall is one of the greatest lyrical accomplishments of Peart's career.  Most of Peart's best lyrics were when he addressed real life issues (Nobody's Hero, The Pass, Marathon, etc.).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2152 on: July 30, 2017, 06:57:33 AM »
Personally I can't stand The Pass. I've actually never sat down and examined the lyrics on it as I was too busy skipping the track. ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: July 30, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
Personally I can't stand The Pass. I've actually never sat down and examined the lyrics on it as I was too busy skipping the track. ;D

It's time for therapy Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2154 on: July 30, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »

It's time for therapy Tim.

I think I'll...um..pass.

:neverusethis:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: July 30, 2017, 08:43:57 AM »
You have an addiction to puns.  You need help. :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2156 on: July 30, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »
C'mon man, don't pass on The Pass!  If you do, your just straining at invisible chains.. Christ what have you done? You need to pass on passing on The Pass... ;D
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2157 on: July 30, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
He needs to turn around and walk the razors edge.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2158 on: July 30, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »
 :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2159 on: July 30, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
I'm gonna turn my back on this now.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2160 on: July 30, 2017, 02:03:08 PM »
Just don't slam the door on me, now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2161 on: July 30, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
If I could wave my magic wand.

We're done with The Pass now right?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: July 30, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »
If you could wave Magic's wand?!  You traitor.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2163 on: July 30, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
Gee.....

......damn autocorrect! ;D

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2164 on: August 01, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
Now that Rush is supposedly done, I wonder if Geddy and Alex will do any projects under a different name.  I'd almost like to see Geddy Lee in the Yes line-up with Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman. Imagine the increase in ticket sales. It might even bump them up to larger venues. This is all hypothetical, I really hope Rush has another album in them.
Who knows, maybe they are working on one and that's why everything is so quiet in the Rush camp right now..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: August 01, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Now that Rush is supposedly done, I wonder if Geddy and Alex will do any projects under a different name.  I'd almost like to see Geddy Lee in the Yes line-up with Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman. Imagine the increase in ticket sales. It might even bump them up to larger venues. This is all hypothetical, I really hope Rush has another album in them.
Who knows, maybe they are working on one and that's why everything is so quiet in the Rush camp right now..

They still owe the record company one more album so We still will have one more Rush album.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: August 01, 2017, 02:21:31 PM »
Can't that be a greatest hits album though or perhaps some bsides stuff?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2167 on: August 01, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

They still owe the record company one more album so We still will have one more Rush album.

This talking about a contract for one more record, it is really confirmed?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2168 on: August 01, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
Well that's good news, I hope you're right!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: August 01, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
I read multiple articles like this at the end of 2015.  So I'm optimistic.

rush_is_committed_to_release_at_least_one_more_album_manager_says.html