Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496700 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2100 on: July 27, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »
Screw you guys.   War Paint is AWESOME....

War Paint is okay, but it works more as an album-building track than a standalone song
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2101 on: July 27, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »
It actually works much better as a non album track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2102 on: July 27, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »
War Paint works even better as a non existent track

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2103 on: July 27, 2017, 10:00:34 PM »
War Paint Neurotica works even better as a non existent track

FTFY  :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2104 on: July 27, 2017, 10:27:27 PM »
*sigh*

Well I guess since we're being negative anyway, I'm curious. What's everyone's LEAST favourite Rush album?

For me it'd have to be Roll The Bones, that album just seemed way more one-dimensional than their other work & some of the later tracks are straight-up bad (Heresy, Neurotica). All in all it seems like it was trying to be such a singles-oriented album, but the singles are *at best* on-par with the rest of Rush's 80s & 90s singles (if not slightly below).
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2105 on: July 27, 2017, 10:34:03 PM »
*sigh*

Well I guess since we're being negative anyway, I'm curious. What's everyone's LEAST favourite Rush album?

For me it'd have to be Roll The Bones, that album just seemed way more one-dimensional than their other work & some of the later tracks are straight-up bad (Heresy, Neurotica). All in all it seems like it was trying to be such a singles-oriented album, but the singles are *at best* on-par with the rest of Rush's 80s & 90s singles (if not slightly below).

I agree with all of this.  RTB is by far my least favorite album.  And I consider Neurotica, Face Up, Heresy, and You Bet Your Life to be the top 4 worst Rush songs ever made....and The Big Wheel isn't much better.   The other 5 tracks save it from being a total loss.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2106 on: July 28, 2017, 12:05:20 AM »
The very early stuff is not my cup of tea. The debut would probably be my least favorite. As far as the later ones go, Test for echo would be at the bottom, but even the less good albums from the 90s and 2000s have their share of truly fantastic songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2107 on: July 28, 2017, 01:20:43 AM »
*sigh*

I agree with all of this.  RTB is by far my least favorite album.  And I consider Neurotica, Face Up, Heresy, and You Bet Your Life to be the top 4 worst Rush songs ever made....and The Big Wheel isn't much better.   The other 5 tracks save it from being a total loss.
That pretty much sums it up.. However, Dreamline is one of my concert favorites with high energy. Especially on the Vapor Trails and R30 tours that song was smokin good, and the lasers too...
Heresy seems like an attempt to make a song similar to Wind of Change by Scorpions, but fell short.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2108 on: July 28, 2017, 02:19:10 AM »
The very early stuff is not my cup of tea. The debut would probably be my least favorite. As far as the later ones go, Test for echo Vapor Trails would be at the bottom, but even the less good albums from the 90s and 2000s have their share of truly fantastic songs.
Fixed for me.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2109 on: July 28, 2017, 03:12:26 AM »
For the record, I like both War Paint and Neurotica!

The very early stuff is not my cup of tea. The debut would probably be my least favorite. As far as the later ones go, Test for echo would be at the bottom, but even the less good albums from the 90s and 2000s have their share of truly fantastic songs.

T4E would be my least favorite Rush album also, not much apart from the title track grab me.

I also agree about their early stuff. I have to be in a very special mindset to listen to stuff like Caress of Steel or Hemispheres. While I can put on Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures or Power Windows etc, at any time regardless of the mindset...

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #2110 on: July 28, 2017, 03:40:07 AM »

Tie between their debut, which doesn't really feel like proper Rush for various reasons, and Caress Of Steel where their grasp exceeded their reach by some way.

There's a big run of albums from 2112 right through to Vapor Trails (though it took the remix/remaster to bring that to life for me) that I rate highly. I appreciate why T4E doesn't sit well with people as it's fallen down in my estimation over the years somewhat, but it was actually the first full Rush album I heard so I have a big soft spot for it.

After that, Snakes & Arrows was bland as all hell except for a couple of songs and Clockwork Angels simply doesn't work for me anything like as well as it seems to for many. If they do ever make another record I really hope they don't use Nick Raskulinecz again as I don't like what he did to their sound on those two records.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2111 on: July 28, 2017, 06:02:52 AM »
Test for Echo is easily my least favorite.  It's not bad, but there is nothing on it that is great, and it sounds like a band that was desperately in need of some time off (which they ended up getting for all of the wrong reasons).  I won't use the term "phoned in," but Test for Echo sounds like a tired band that didn't sound the least bit inspired.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2112 on: July 28, 2017, 06:15:20 AM »
Claiming reply #2112 :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2113 on: July 28, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »
Test for Echo is easily my least favorite.  It's not bad, but there is nothing on it that is great, and it sounds like a band that was desperately in need of some time off (which they ended up getting for all of the wrong reasons).  I won't use the term "phoned in," but Test for Echo sounds like a tired band that didn't sound the least bit inspired.

I like T4E, there are a few good songs here and there. Itīs the first album where Neilīs drumming didnīt sound jaw dropping to me, although Iīve grown to appreciate what he did in the album later on. But hey, it was the tour that started the "evening with" format, with the greatest setlist ever...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2114 on: July 28, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
*sigh*

Have I mentioned here how much I dislike p/g?   Don't like the sterility (yes, I understand that is what they were going for; still don't like it), don't like Neil's sound, and but for a few moments - the fill before "I hear the gunfire at the prison gates...." and all of "Between The Wheels", there aren't as many "Neil, dude, WTF?" moments as on other records. 

I concede it is a lyrical success (for the most part) and I think Alex Lifeson plays his tits off, even if I don't care for the stylings.   But it is in the bottom five for me and may be the least favorite in the catalogue. 

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2115 on: July 28, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
The debut and Caress of Steel are likely the obvious answers for most, and I'd fall into that category as well. Where I'll likely ruffle some feathers is in saying that Signals is next in line for least favorite for me. Not to say it doesn't have its bright spots, as Subdivisions and Losing It are absolutely brilliant and Analog Kid is pretty good as well. But the rest of the album pretty well does absolutely nothing for me. It's the one spot from A Farewell to Kings to Power Windows that ruins a nearly perfect seven-album run for me.

Yes, that also means I really like Grace Under Pressure (sorry, Stadler... ;) ). Funny how we hear/experience the same thing and can have completely different reactions to it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2116 on: July 28, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »
I made amends with Grace Under Pressure some time ago.

For me, Roll The Bones. And Test For Echo. And Snakes And Arrows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2117 on: July 28, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
After that, Snakes & Arrows was bland as all hell except for a couple of songs

yeah, S&A is the Rush album I rarely if ever feel like listening to.  Even live, I didn't care much for those songs outside Far Cry and maybe one or two others.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2118 on: July 28, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »
Thank God I have someone else with me on S&A. I just find that there's not much there. It sounds awesome though.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2119 on: July 28, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »
I remember everyone being excited before it came out with that "hemispheres chord" in one of the teasers.  I got it home and after a few listens it seemed like the songs just weren't that great.  Pretty bland for the most part.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2120 on: July 28, 2017, 04:12:22 PM »
Yeah. It actually felt like the music was written to the lyrics.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2121 on: July 28, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »

yeah, S&A is the Rush album I rarely if ever feel like listening to.  Even live, I didn't care much for those songs outside Far Cry and maybe one or two others.

And this album is just above Signals in my list, coincidentally enough. This one literally put me to sleep midway through the first time I popped it in the player.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2122 on: July 28, 2017, 05:38:07 PM »

I like T4E, there are a few good songs here and there. Itīs the first album where Neilīs drumming didnīt sound jaw dropping to me, although Iīve grown to appreciate what he did in the album later on. But hey, it was the tour that started the "evening with" format, with the greatest setlist ever...

Yep, the set list that tour was great, despite the inclusion of too many TFE songs.  It saw the return of Natural Science and 2112 in its entirety for the first time ever. :metal

The debut and Caress of Steel are likely the obvious answers for most, and I'd fall into that category as well. Where I'll likely ruffle some feathers is in saying that Signals is next in line for least favorite for me. Not to say it doesn't have its bright spots, as Subdivisions and Losing It are absolutely brilliant and Analog Kid is pretty good as well. But the rest of the album pretty well does absolutely nothing for me. It's the one spot from A Farewell to Kings to Power Windows that ruins a nearly perfect seven-album run for me.

Yes, that also means I really like Grace Under Pressure (sorry, Stadler... ;) ). Funny how we hear/experience the same thing and can have completely different reactions to it.

I like Signals a lot, but it gets less plays in my CD player than the other synth era albums.

Songs like Armor and Sword and The Main Monkey Business are really good on the album, but were a bit too plodding live.  Workin' Them Angels worked pretty well live, I thought; that song just has very high energy.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2123 on: July 28, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
I feel so alone in my adoration of TFE.....which is just compounded by my not getting the often revered Counterparts. 

After the extremely bland RTB, they realized that they needed to get their balls back.   But CP *to me* just sounded like they were trying WAAAAYYY too hard to be relevant during the grunge movement.   Stick It Out *to me* is the most blatant attempt to cash in on what was cool at the time that I've ever heard them be guilty of.   Nobody's Hero comes across as hammy, heavy handed and preachy.  I do like Cut To the Chase, Alien Shore, and Cold Fire.  Everyday Glory is very meh....but it sounds too much like a lame attempt to redo Available Light.  Animate is OK I guess.

But TFE sounds more like the guys found their "sweet spot".   After trying too hard to prove they were heavy again, they took a step back and made it their own.   The first 5 songs on that album are (again...to me) one of the greatest opening 5 in their ENTIRE catalog.  The only real klunkers on the entire album are Dog Years and Totem.   Also don't get the hate for Virtuality.   In spite of the somewhat dated lyrics (which aren't nearly as cringeworthy as some people try to make them out to be) DAT RIFF is seriously one of the GREATEST RIFFS that Alex has ever written.   It more than makes up for B-level input from Neil.    Other than the two aforementioned tracks, every other song on that album is absolutely 10 on a ten scale.   And I say TFE is a top 5 (maybe 6 after Clockwork Angels) Rush album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2124 on: July 28, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »
I feel so alone in my adoration of TFE.....which is just compounded by my not getting the often revered Counterparts. 

The first 5 songs on that album are (again...to me) one of the greatest opening 5 in their ENTIRE catalog. 

J Dude, what the f'n f are you smoking? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2125 on: July 28, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
TFE is easily the worst Rush. I can remember maybe two songs on there I like.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2126 on: July 28, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »

The first 5 songs on that album are (again...to me) one of the greatest opening 5 in their ENTIRE catalog. 

J Dude, what the f'n f are you smoking? :lol

Apparently, not the same stuff that the CP lovers are on....cause that stuff is so strong, it will make you stop and wait at a green light. 

:hat

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2127 on: July 29, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »
I love Counterparts and Test for Echo, so there. :)

(Stick it Out is a great song)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2128 on: July 29, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »
Nobody's Hero is a great song but the opening verses are cringeworthy.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Art

« Reply #2129 on: July 29, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
I love Counterparts and Test for Echo, so there. :)

(Stick it Out is a great song)

Yep, me too.  :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2130 on: July 29, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »

I remmember when this song came out, in less PC times, weīd put it on at parties and say "hey buddy, I found this song, and apparently it was written for you - listen to the first verse!!!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2131 on: July 29, 2017, 04:20:31 PM »

So Neil writing about a real friend who's sexual orientation was different was cringeworthy?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2132 on: July 29, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
Nobody's Hero's verses are AWESOME!!!!! Awesome!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2133 on: July 29, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
The only song on Counterparts which I didn't think matched all the others songs in quality was The Speed Of Love.  They talked about the trouble they had writing the song and to me is just felt unfinished.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2134 on: July 29, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
Yes, that song blows.