Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496888 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2065 on: July 07, 2017, 05:56:28 AM »
Yep.  Great last tour with a set list that the fans loved, and great final studio album.  That is another reason why it needs to be over.  You don't mess with a perfect ending.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2066 on: July 07, 2017, 06:37:00 AM »
They still owe on more album to Roadrunner.  So I'm expecting a studio album with no tour.  I can live with that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2067 on: July 07, 2017, 06:40:15 AM »
Didn't they already once got out of such a deal with releasing a compilation? Or was it a different band?

If they did another one, it would be hard to top Clockwork angels and The Garden. Both the album and the song were the perfect ways to end a discography. In every single way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2068 on: July 07, 2017, 07:22:36 AM »
I care more personally about getting new music still.  I know Geddy and Alex want to.  Does Neil want to without touring?  That is the question.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2069 on: July 07, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »
That would be the ideal, it seems to me.  They make one more album (or more!), but don't tour.  Yeah, people will be bummed.  They want to see Rush.  That's actually a good thing, but the fact is that Neil just doesn't want to.  Deal with it.  Heck, The Beatles completely stopped touring after the first couple years, and it didn't seem to stop them from gaining a certain amount of popularity.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2070 on: July 07, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »
I never really had an "interest"....he's made vocal his distaste of touring for a long time.  But the *big* change was his physical ability.   He personally feels he has gotten to a point so as to be incapable of being 100% any more.   He promised himself that when it hit that particular point, it was over.   He honored that promise to himself.     

In fact, he almost made it sound like he hit that point after the CA tour, and got strong armed into the R40 tour.
I think you're correct in that he probably felt he hit that point after the CA tour, but he did not get "strong armed" into doing the R40 tour. I recall reading an article or interview with him, where he promised himself he wouldn't do any more touring *unless* someone else in the band said that they thought one more tour would be it for them (since they were worried they wouldn't be able to do it after said tour). Alex pretty much said exactly that, and Neil, being the principled man that he is (even if just living up to an agreement he made to himself) willingly agreed to do the tour.

There was a part in the Time Stand Still doc where Neil hinted he knew Alex would be the one to say "one more"....and when that's exactly what happened, he went home with some cursing under his breath. That was the moment that led me to believe that he had been hoping to NOT do "one more"
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2071 on: July 07, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »
I never really had an "interest"....he's made vocal his distaste of touring for a long time.  But the *big* change was his physical ability.   He personally feels he has gotten to a point so as to be incapable of being 100% any more.   He promised himself that when it hit that particular point, it was over.   He honored that promise to himself.     

In fact, he almost made it sound like he hit that point after the CA tour, and got strong armed into the R40 tour.
I think you're correct in that he probably felt he hit that point after the CA tour, but he did not get "strong armed" into doing the R40 tour. I recall reading an article or interview with him, where he promised himself he wouldn't do any more touring *unless* someone else in the band said that they thought one more tour would be it for them (since they were worried they wouldn't be able to do it after said tour). Alex pretty much said exactly that, and Neil, being the principled man that he is (even if just living up to an agreement he made to himself) willingly agreed to do the tour.

There was a part in the Time Stand Still doc where Neil hinted he knew Alex would be the one to say "one more"....and when that's exactly what happened, he went home with some cursing under his breath. That was the moment that led me to believe that he had been hoping to NOT do "one more"
I haven't seen the doc yet, but what you're saying doesn't surprise me. Nonetheless, Neil could've easily said "sorry guys, I'm done" as he has now. But like I said, he apparently made a promise to himself with that one stipulation. So even tho he didn't want to do it (something I don't dispute), he willingly followed thru on his promise to himself and did it. I wouldn't call that being that he was strong armed into it, as if the other two guys forced him into doing it, which is what that phrase seems to suggest to me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2072 on: July 07, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
I felt that Neil was amazing on the R40 tour. He summoned whatever he had left and nailed it, similar to the last H&H tour with Dio.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2073 on: July 07, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »

I haven't seen the doc yet, but what you're saying doesn't surprise me. Nonetheless, Neil could've easily said "sorry guys, I'm done" as he has now. But like I said, he apparently made a promise to himself with that one stipulation. So even tho he didn't want to do it (something I don't dispute), he willingly followed thru on his promise to himself and did it. I wouldn't call that being that he was strong armed into it, as if the other two guys forced him into doing it, which is what that phrase seems to suggest to me.

How about "emotionally leveraged"?   ;D :angel:

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2074 on: July 08, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »

Rush alternate cover!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2075 on: July 08, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
 :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2076 on: July 08, 2017, 09:24:30 PM »
WTF?!  :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2077 on: July 08, 2017, 10:13:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm not following the logic behind that.   :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2078 on: July 08, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »
Oh, I don't think there's any logic there, it's just a silly thing.  That's why it's a laughing WTF and not a serious one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2079 on: July 09, 2017, 08:05:53 AM »
There is definitely no logic there! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2080 on: July 09, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »
I felt that Neil was amazing on the R40 tour. He summoned whatever he had left and nailed it, similar to the last H&H tour with Dio.

That's my view of the Clockwork Angels tour. 

The only time they nailed it on a night to night basis on R40 was the last three weeks of the tour. Unfortunately, the DVD night wasn't one of them.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2081 on: July 09, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
There is definitely no logic there! :lol

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb......

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2082 on: July 09, 2017, 05:33:37 PM »

That's my view of the Clockwork Angels tour. 

The only time they nailed it on a night to night basis on R40 was the last three weeks of the tour. Unfortunately, the DVD night wasn't one of them.
This!  The DVD doesn't do this tour justice..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2083 on: July 09, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
I am not sure how this happen, but I kinda like War Paint now. I have long called that one of their five worst songs, but I have come around on it a bit.  I did not see that coming. :lol :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2084 on: July 10, 2017, 12:01:23 AM »
That's a fantastic song.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2085 on: July 10, 2017, 06:19:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm not following the logic behind that.   :P
Logic? You want logic? From me?

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Tick
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2086 on: July 10, 2017, 06:57:52 AM »
If Rush will release another and final album, I wish (and I know it will not happen) it would be an all instrumental album, with no restriction of the trio format on the arrangement of the songs (the greatest benefit of not have to play any of them live!). And It would be amazing to mantain The Garden as their "last words".
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2087 on: July 22, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »
I am not sure how this happen, but I kinda like War Paint now. I have long called that one of their five worst songs, but I have come around on it a bit.  I did not see that coming. :lol :lol

That was one of the very few highlights on the Presto Tour for me. Would have loved to have seen a return live at some point.   Still can't believe Presto was never played on that tour, but at least they rectified that mistake.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: July 22, 2017, 10:17:06 AM »
I remember being disappointed that Presto wasn't played but Scars was.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2089 on: July 22, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »
War Paint is one of Rush's worse songs. And I love the Presto album.

Joe, Scars is cool.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: July 22, 2017, 10:27:58 AM »
Not live.  It sounded thin.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2091 on: July 22, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »
I remember being disappointed that Presto wasn't played but Scars was.

H-H-H-H-ey!  I like Scars live.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: July 22, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
Meh.  For me, it didn't translate well live.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2093 on: July 22, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »

That was one of the very few highlights on the Presto Tour for me. Would have loved to have seen a return live at some point.   Still can't believe Presto was never played on that tour, but at least they rectified that mistake.
Yeah 22 years later..lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2094 on: July 23, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »
War Paint is one of Rush's worse songs. And I love the Presto album.

To clarify, I don't all of a sudden think War Paint is amazing; I just kinda like it now.  Before, it was a bottom 5 Rush song in my eyes.  Now, it is like bottom 20. :lol :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2095 on: July 24, 2017, 12:45:57 AM »
Speaking of Presto, I'm listening to it right now & honestly, I think Available Light might be the best Rush song ever.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2096 on: July 26, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Speaking of Presto, I'm listening to it right now & honestly, I think Available Light might be the best Rush song ever.

Best one on Presto anyway. Well maybe. Hard to tell with Chain Lightning, War Paint, Presto, Red Tide, The Pass..... oh hell.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2097 on: July 26, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »
Available Light is AWESOME!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2098 on: July 26, 2017, 09:34:52 PM »
Screw you guys.   War Paint is AWESOME....

Neurotica OTH  ::)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2099 on: July 27, 2017, 01:43:54 AM »
All puffed up with vanity, we see what we want to see..