Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497157 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1820 on: October 14, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »
Wow that's awesome. I've never seen anything from that era.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1821 on: October 14, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2016/10/13/4782/Rush-Time-Stand-Still-R40-tour-documentary-DVDBlu-ray-now-available-for-pre-order
It seems the live bonus content is 60 min from Presto tour :tup

Whoa. That's pretty sweet! Now I'm sure most fans will ask if they can release the WHOLE show (just like the bits of the TFE Tour show they put on the R40 set a couple years ago). It's awesome that they even HAVE these concert videos, and maybe it's just all they WANT to put out, or maybe they will release Presto and TFE full concerts later on because they know fans will still buy them again.

Either way, I'm glad that of the 9 songs (sans the encore medley), they picked all 5 of the Presto songs they played on that tour. That's certainly a treat. Great attention to detail, that, instead of just giving us "Tom Sawyer", "The Spirit Of Radio" and "Limelight" again...and again...and again.

As for seeing live video from the Presto tour, I remember doing some trades and torrenting from DIME back in the day, and I had live concert videos from all of the 90's tours (for Presto, RTB, CP and TFE), some of which were multi-cam, pro-shot stuff, so I wonder if the show they're including here is from one of those...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1823 on: October 15, 2016, 05:43:27 AM »
While Presto isn't one of my favorite Rush albums, and a couple of those songs there I am not wild about, it's cool to see live versions of songs never seen before on a Rush DVD/Blu-ray, so you can't argue with that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1824 on: October 15, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »
It will be cool to see that tour.  I saw them 3 times on that tour and I need a refresher.  It's been awhile.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1825 on: October 15, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »
 That's actually really exciting! I was at that tour in Seattle in 1990, and I really loved that tour! Superconductor, Scars, and ESPECIALLY War Paint are among my favorites from the entire era!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1826 on: October 15, 2016, 11:00:07 AM »
Not all that enthused about what I call the "mid-life crisis" tour, but it would be good to have the official release of these.

Probably from this show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6kRzxgzwDc

Or maybe this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDDEHVrI62Q

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1827 on: October 17, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
Presto is a top five Rush album for me, and probably the album since Signals that I go back to most (actually, more than all the others combined). 

Online Mladen

« Reply #1828 on: October 17, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »
Presto is a terrific album, one of my favorites.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1829 on: October 17, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »
Even though I pretty much took the 80's albums off from Rush, I have always loved Presto. I remember thinking this was "adult contemporary" Rush. I love the vibe of that album.

That said, I personally feel that The Pass is the most overrated Rush song ever, and sorry J-dude, but I have to say that War Paint might be one of my all time least favorite Rush tunes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1830 on: October 17, 2016, 01:53:11 PM »
I love Presto and I agree about war paint, although the jazzy parts of that song are very cool.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: October 17, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
Even though I pretty much took the 80's albums off from Rush, I have always loved Presto. I remember thinking this was "adult contemporary" Rush. I love the vibe of that album.

Funny you say that Tim.  After Roll The Bones, all the guys in Rush though the same thing.  They felt the songs had a heavier,  more rocking sound live compared to the last 2 albums and that what lead to Counterparts sound.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: October 17, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
I feel like listening to Presto now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1833 on: October 17, 2016, 06:32:36 PM »

Funny you say that Tim.  After Roll The Bones, all the guys in Rush though the same thing.  They felt the songs had a heavier,  more rocking sound live compared to the last 2 albums and that what lead to Counterparts sound.

At least Presto had a certain "feel" to it. I'm not sure WTF they were going for on RTB.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: October 17, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »
I remember thinking Presto had such fresh writing on it. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1835 on: October 17, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »
A lot of RTB feels like songs that weren't good enough for Presto. There are some gems in there still, definitely better than Test for Echo at least.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1836 on: October 17, 2016, 07:02:01 PM »
A lot of RTB feels like songs that weren't good enough for Presto. 

That's interesting.

Joe, was Ghost Of A Chance written during the Presto sessions by any chance? That definitely has a Presto feel.

Oh, and  :hefdaddy at Alex's smoky guitar in Ghost.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1837 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
Rush never had stuff left over and used it on the next album. I believe pretty much everything was always fresh during the writing of whatever the new album was.

Also, Roll the Bones is way better than Presto.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: October 17, 2016, 07:47:01 PM »
Yeah, no leftovers. A note about the solo for GOAC,  Alex recorded it in his own studio as a demo.  He could never recapture that solo in the recording of the song.  So they synced the solo to their recording.   

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1839 on: October 17, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »
Didn't mean they actually were leftovers, but that's what some of it feels like to me. Same sort of guitar driven songs with heavy riffs neutered by the production.

Ghost of a Chance is one of the better tunes.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1840 on: October 17, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »
RTB is like a twin album to Presto for me, only not as good.

And yes, any Rush album is better than TFE

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1841 on: October 18, 2016, 03:51:14 AM »
I'm in the Presto > RTB camp as well. The Pass and the title-track alone beat anything on RTB, and Hand Over Fist is the only song I don't care about, while RTB has got more filler.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1842 on: October 18, 2016, 07:13:14 AM »
Overall Presto is more consistent than RtB..

But Dreamline, Bravado and Ghost of a Chance are better songs than anything from RtB.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1843 on: October 18, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »
Overall Presto is more consistent than RtB..

But Dreamline, Bravado and Ghost of a Chance are better songs than anything from RtB.

I don't know, I find them to be on par with at least Dreamline, Bravado, and Ghost of a Chance.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Mladen

« Reply #1844 on: October 18, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
Another vote for Presto here. The high points on Roll the bones aren't as high as the ones on Presto, and I agree that Roll the bones has more filler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1845 on: October 18, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »
More love for Presto.  My last Rush album at the time was Signals.  I'd missed most of the 80's, and from what little 80's Rush I'd heard (that is, on the radio), I wasn't missing much, but in 1989, this was already in the cut-out bin at the record store.  For $3.99, I was willing to take a chance and see what the guys were up to lately.  I liked the stripped-down sound, getting back to basics.  80's SynthRush is interesting, some of it is even pretty good, but it's definitely not my favorite flavor of Rush.

Also, in 1989, I bought my first car that had a CD player, and this disc lived in it for the first two or three weeks.  I grew to really love this album.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1846 on: October 18, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »
Roll The Bones has one of the best 6-song runs I can think of.  The first six tracks are ones I can confidently say I love listening to them all in order and don't ever feel the desire to skip any of them.  It's hard to think of any other Rush album, at all, that has that.

Title track and Available Light on Presto are some of my all time favorite Rush tracks though, and might rate higher than anything on RTB except for Dreamline.  Overall the rest of the tracks aren't as strong as RTB if you ask me.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1847 on: October 18, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
Speaking of Presto.. Does anyone know if they ever played Available Light live?

That is a damn good song, and one of their best album closers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: October 18, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »
No they never played it live.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1849 on: October 18, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
I love that song. Since Day 1.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1850 on: October 22, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
No they never played it live.

I'd have taken that in this decade over The Camera Eye or Jacob's Ladder in a heartbeat.

I'd have probably taken it over Losing It  too although it was obvious why Losing It was included in the first place so maybe not that one....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: October 22, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »
I think it's a tricky song to play live and I wish they gave it a shot.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1852 on: October 22, 2016, 11:58:07 PM »
It is one of their more vocal driven songs. Maybe they rehearsed it recently and Geddy didn't think he could do it justice.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1853 on: October 23, 2016, 12:22:54 AM »
I really don't think Geddy could do the chorus of the song live on a night to night basis.   That was purely a "studio note" for him these days.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1854 on: October 23, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
Definitely. It was a studio note at the time.