Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497000 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1715 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
I think you gave it backwards Nick. :lol

That is pure genius!

Nick, you have the backwards Best Buy Starman flashlight?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1716 on: December 07, 2015, 07:46:12 PM »
Well.. the plan was to start on new material after the first of the year. He and Alex are anxious to start writing new stuff then. They are not averse to recording without touring if that lets them stay creating.  If NP decides no way, then my guess is they don't move ahead without him, but Ged is ready to create after the holidays, whatever that looks like. But they want to make music together.

And they will. The band just won't be called Rush. 

So how close from not happening was the last tour? I gotta figure it was less than a thread.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm still kind of in celebratory mode. It's the end of live Rush (as I long suspected) but the beginning of a new thing...whatever it might be.

Forty years of music (live and otherwise) is really hard to top. It's the gift that keeps on giving. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1717 on: December 08, 2015, 05:12:04 AM »
Sorry to be a party pooper in this whole thing, but I really don't dig Vapor Trails at all. The songs just don't grab me. They don't have much variation in the music. They seem to start in one key and just stay there. And somehow I doubt the remixed version will make me like the songs any better. Oh well. Try again with another album then.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1718 on: December 08, 2015, 05:35:14 AM »
The Garden would be an amazing swan song to their career as a band. I have no qualms about them calling it quits at this point.
Great point.

He's earned it.
Definitely.

I Don't See Alex and Geddy playing together without Neil.  They may guest on each other's music but not form a band.  Imo.
Another good point. Alex might end up playing some stuff on Geddy's next solo album, which I'm sure will come out at some point. That's certainly a thing to look forward to.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1719 on: December 08, 2015, 10:17:29 AM »
On the one hand I'm sad if this is the end of Rush.  But on the other this was a great way to go out.  Clockwork Angels is easily my favorite album since PoW.  The last two tours were excellent and I would say R40 was my favorite tour ever seeing them (even topping having a 2nd row seat on the TFE tour).

Today I was contemplating why I was feeling sad about this and I never felt that way about Genesis, who I would still say is my favorite band of all time (slightly above Rush).  And I think the reason is that I got into Genesis so late in their career and that their musical output and focus was not on their glory days.  I have only seen them 1 time and that was on their tour in 2007.  Comparing that to Rush who ever since I got into them (Presto) I've had the privilege of seeing them on almost every tour and even going to multiple shows on a tour.  And even when I didn't enjoy every song on whatever their most recent album was, the live shows were always great to see. So I think it boils down to a lot of great memories over the last 25 years and now knowing that I'll not have another one to add to the list is sad.  But I'm sure in a couple of days this sadness will pass and I'll be able to focus on the awesome memories.

And who knows, maybe Geddy and Alex would do something going forward.  I'm interested to hear what they'd come up with, either individually or together.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1720 on: December 08, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »
Well.. the plan was to start on new material after the first of the year. He and Alex are anxious to start writing new stuff then. They are not averse to recording without touring if that lets them stay creating.  If NP decides no way, then my guess is they don't move ahead without him, but Ged is ready to create after the holidays, whatever that looks like. But they want to make music together.

Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee. Mike Portnoy.

That's not gonna happen. If NP is done completely, then Rush is done completely. They won't move on without him. It's a bit odd though that he would not have officially told the guys before announcing it through the media. Maybe it was taken out of context, maybe not. Ged says the plan was to decide one way or other, but that he and Al we're gonna write after the first of the year. I haven't been in contact with him since Saturday. Maybe they've spoken since then. Dunno. I know things have been "tense" deciding what to do, but aren't they like that occasionally in all families?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1721 on: December 08, 2015, 11:21:47 AM »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1722 on: December 08, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »
Based on the quotes from the Peart interview, I thought that it was extremely premature to draw the conclusion he was 100% retired/retiring.

As was mentioned in this Blabbermouth article ...  Asked whether he feels Peart's quote was taken out of context, Lee said: "I think that's absolutely right. That's their job. Talking about something when there's nothing to talk about."
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1723 on: December 08, 2015, 02:53:52 PM »
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1724 on: December 08, 2015, 07:35:03 PM »
Sounds like Geddy's in denial. :lol :lol

Besides, it is very possible to retire and then unretire, and I am sure at this point Neil does consider himself retired.

I would say it would be cool to see Geddy do another solo album and tour while playing songs from his first solo album, too, but knowing a lot of Rush fans, they'd go expecting all Rush songs and then piss and moan when Geddy plays a lot of solo material.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1725 on: December 09, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »
Ged is not in denial. NP not wanting to tour any longer and essentially retiring from touring is nothing new. As I've said since before the last tour ended, the plan is to begin writing after the first of the year. Neil is open to continuing to record and produce new music. But no more big tours. That also leaves open the possibility of a reduced live show in some capacity. Ged told me during the summer that Neils feeling is he would make new records forever if that meant no more touring. But he knows that's not really fair to Ged and Al. However, I'm not sure they are really averse to that either. What they have discussed is something sort of new. Make new records, do a limited arena engagement...3 or 4 dates in one spot, tape the live show, make it available to everyone. That had some general consensus as they got close to wrapping up the tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1726 on: December 09, 2015, 03:26:01 PM »
That's good to hear, Temp.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1727 on: December 09, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
I meant Geddy is in denial, in a nice way, of course. 

Call me a sucker for great endings, but I think ending with this year's tour and with Clockwork Angels being their last album, is the perfect ending to a 40-year plus career.  I mean, The Garden as the last song on their last album?  What could get better than that? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1728 on: December 09, 2015, 07:41:44 PM »
Call me a sucker for great endings, but I think ending with this year's tour and with Clockwork Angels being their last album, is the perfect ending to a 40-year plus career.  I mean, The Garden as the last song on their last album?  What could get better than that?
Nope.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: December 09, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »
The Garden is a great ending without question.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1730 on: December 09, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
Well, even being an Uber Rush nut there is one better last song. 

Queen, "The Show Must Go On".  That is the ultimate,  last song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1731 on: December 09, 2015, 08:50:48 PM »
But even that wasn't really their last song, since they released Made in Heaven.  Granted, that was filled with songs previously recorded and unfinished prior to Freddie's death, but it still goes down as their final album.

Similarly, while I enjoy The Endless River a lot, I still wish High Hopes would have remained as the last song on the last Pink Floyd album.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1732 on: December 09, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »
I agree 100% Kev. I've told Geddy that more than once. But creatively, they all feel this is their greatest time. I mentioned before that they had so much material it couldn't all make it on the last record. They could easily go out on top, but honestly Geddy and Al don't think they're at the top of what they want to do yet. Ged feels like they're in the zone at this point in their careers. But he knows time is the enemy and there are limitations. He told me last summer, "I feel like a baseball player on the greatest baseball team of all-time, and we've finally built a team dynasty, just to realize that the window now is closing fast."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: December 10, 2015, 03:06:51 AM »
But even that wasn't really their last song, since they released Made in Heaven.  Granted, that was filled with songs previously recorded and unfinished prior to Freddie's death, but it still goes down as their final album.

Similarly, while I enjoy The Endless River a lot, I still wish High Hopes would have remained as the last song on the last Pink Floyd album.

Wasn't truly finished by the full band. I always look at Innuendo as their swan song album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1734 on: December 10, 2015, 07:37:25 AM »
The way I see it with Peart is that retired professional golfers still play golf every once in a while, retired footballers still go for a kickabout every once in a while.  He was comparing himself to an athlete afterall so I don't see why it would be any different.  Drumming may not be his 'job' anymore but it surely must still be his passion.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1735 on: December 10, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
Exactly.  There's a difference between retiring from a profession and "never going to do that ever again".

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1736 on: December 10, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/rushs_geddy_lee_i_almost_ended_up_producing_metallicas_master_of_puppets_album.html

Hmmm, I know Kirk Hammett gave huge praises for Rush in Beyond the Lighted Stage, and Metallica did thank them in the linear notes of Master Of Puppets, so this could have been interesting to see if it happened.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: December 10, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »
Does anyone have any clue why on earth this new DVD isn't getting a release in Australia?  Every other Rush product has, seems weird.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: December 10, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »
Does anyone have any clue why on earth this new DVD isn't getting a release in Australia?  Every other Rush product has, seems weird.

Is the CD being released there, or is it just the DVD?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1739 on: December 12, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »
See, here's something interesting: I wonder what kind of music Rush can put together when there's no real concern about being able to perform it live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1740 on: December 12, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
See, here's something interesting: I wonder what kind of music Rush can put together when there's no real concern about being able to perform it live.

Different Strings
Witch Hunt
Losing It

All were written and recorded at the time with the thought being that they would never perform them live (although Witch Hunt was once advances in MIDI came about in the mid 80s, and we all know about Losing It finally being played this year).

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1741 on: December 14, 2015, 01:20:55 AM »

I wish "Two Suns In The Sunset" had remained the last song on the last Floyd album, but there ya go.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1742 on: December 14, 2015, 05:03:26 AM »
https://themusicexpress.ca/pearts-rush-future-unclear/

"...the band is committed to at least one more studio project."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1743 on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:09 AM »
I wish "Two Suns In The Sunset" had remained the last song on the last Floyd album, but there ya go.
That would have been fantastic. Their overall discography would have been so much stronger in my opinion.

Another Rush album would be great, of course, especially considering how incredible Clockwork angels was. If The Garden turns out not to be the final band song, oh well. I used to think Judas Priest would officially retire after Nostradamus, that would have made the brilliant song called Future of mankind their very last. But then they released another album and The Beginning of the end might turn out to be the final song, and that's not that bad either. Maybe Rush would put out a closer similar to quality of The Garden...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1744 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:47 AM »

Different Strings
Witch Hunt
Losing It

All were written and recorded at the time with the thought being that they would never perform them live (although Witch Hunt was once advances in MIDI came about in the mid 80s, and we all know about Losing It finally being played this year).

Geddy has said on many occasions that since at least Permanent Waves, there has always been one song on each record that was "a studio creation", meaning it was never intended to be recreated live.   I guess we all get to guess which ones are which, but there you go...

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1745 on: December 14, 2015, 11:46:55 AM »
Hmm, I never knew the band was so deliberate about including those kinds of songs already. From interviews I always remember Geddy emphasizing how important being able to perform the music with 3 people was to them.

Well, anyway: more generally, what I mean is that it would be interesting to have a whole side of an album or something be written without the live performance of it being a concern.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: December 14, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »
That was the truth until Counterparts.   Then, Rush went back to a strip down sound again and yes, they talked  about it back then. A good example is Avaliable Light.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1747 on: December 14, 2015, 05:11:17 PM »
I'm sure Tai Shan and Emotion Detector were also "studio only" tunes as well.  They usually put them as the 2nd to last tunes, even as far back as Rivendell on Fly by Night.  But yeah, from Counterparts on, there isn't anything I can think of that fits that bill.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1748 on: December 21, 2015, 02:49:01 AM »
Happy 21/12, guys!  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: December 21, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Happy 21/12, guys!  :metal

That album is coming out today!!