Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496923 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1645 on: October 28, 2015, 08:40:22 PM »
if anything, Hold Your Fire is the most uplifting album they put out

also from the spirit of the radio video

:lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1646 on: October 28, 2015, 11:05:18 PM »
^^ Speaking of that.  Here's the video! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jxfDuiDtzU

I don't think I have ever found a really good version of The Spirit of Radio, in these recent DVDs, where A. Geddy's voice is crisp, and B. The crowd goes really roaring during the "Concert Hall" part in these DVDs.  The closest to me was Snakes & Arrows Live.  This version seems all right.  Geddy sounds better here than in say the Time Machine DVD.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1647 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:10 AM »
Power Windows is uplifting??

Songs about war, nuclear bonbs, greed? :tup

Musically you git.  Not lyrically.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: October 29, 2015, 06:05:36 AM »
Well, Marathon has pretty uplifting lyrics.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1649 on: October 29, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »
Even though I put Power Windows as my #3 or 4 album overall, there is no question that it is Neil's greatest lyrical achievement.  Absolutely #1 in the lyrical department, and it's not even close.    Big Money is the only shaky one in the bunch, and even that one is not bad. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: October 29, 2015, 06:21:56 AM »
well all this Power Windows talk I just started playing it right after I&W finished.  Nice way to do paperwork I must say.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1651 on: October 29, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »
I bought Vapor Trails today. Listened to it, and nothing really grabbed me on first listen. Nothing I can hook onto and look forward to during subsequent listens.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1652 on: October 29, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »
I bought Vapor Trails today. Listened to it, and nothing really grabbed me on first listen. Nothing I can hook onto and look forward to during subsequent listens.

The original or the new remixes by Bottrill?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1653 on: October 29, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »
On that note, I've been really digging Peaceable Kingdom as of late.  Didn't know what I didn't like it too much, when I heard the remixed version the 1st time, but it's pretty good. 

There are some good stuff on Vapor Trails.  Ceiling Unlimited, Earthshine, Freeze, Out of the Cradle, and Ghost Rider are still among my favorites on it.  I just wished they played one of those tracks as oppose to One Little Victory or the occasional How It Is for the Vapor Trails part of the R40 tour.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1654 on: October 29, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »
Power Windows is by far my favorite Rush album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1655 on: November 24, 2015, 09:44:36 PM »
Watched R40 the other night at a friend's house...

-Geddy's vocals are probably better than they were on the last two DVDs/Blu-rays, but still rough at times
-Much like our show here in STL, Alex looked like he wasn't having fun most of the show
-Losing It was such a pleasure to finally see, even just on the Blu-ray
-2nd set/encore still just absolutely sick :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
-It's over

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1656 on: November 25, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
Even though I put Power Windows as my #3 or 4 album overall, there is no question that it is Neil's greatest lyrical achievement.  Absolutely #1 in the lyrical department, and it's not even close.    Big Money is the only shaky one in the bunch, and even that one is not bad.

I might give you No. 1, but I wouldn't say "not even close".   That is a watershed album for me, because it is one of the first albums I bought on CD (that, Perfect Strangers, and Misplaced Childhood, when I got my first CD player), and the first tour I saw them.   But...

Presto gives it a run for it's money on lyrical content.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: November 25, 2015, 11:11:48 AM »
I got to see Marillion play Misplaced Childhood live opening up for Rush on the Power Windows tour.  Hard to beat that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1658 on: November 25, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »
Most memorable concert experience?  Or just bragging?   :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: November 25, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »
Top ten.  And bragging. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: November 25, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
I got to see Marillion play Misplaced Childhood live opening up for Rush on the Power Windows tour.  Hard to beat that.

Damn you.   Just, damn you.

I got The Steve Morse Band as opener for that show; they came back around to I think Worcester Mass (or Springfield; it was in Mass).  I was new at UConn - which meant it was about a 20 minute ride from where I was - and though a guy in my chemistry class asked if I was interested, I passed.  My logic - then - was:

- I already saw this (Rush) tour;
- It was always an hour and a half or so to Mass from where I lived in CT, so I overestimated how long it would take to get there;
- I dug Marillion, but didn't know if it was worth an hour and a half drive (see above) for an opening act (40 minutes, in my experience);
- I was new to UConn, so there were girls there;
- I had beer;
- I didn't know the guy all that well (read: at all)

If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the shows where Marillion was booed, and while that isn't cool, in hindsight, I shoulda gone.   No question.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »
Damn Stadler.  That's exactly correct.  I saw them opening night in Maine, met Geddy, that's when I was front row, general admission right in front of the bass player, Jerry Peak and Alex for Rush.  In Springfield, that's when Marillion opened for them.

Edit:  No they were not booed.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:53:21 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #1662 on: November 26, 2015, 01:19:09 AM »
Watched R40 the other night at a friend's house...

-Geddy's vocals are probably better than they were on the last two DVDs/Blu-rays, but still rough at times
-Much like our show here in STL, Alex looked like he wasn't having fun most of the show
-Losing It was such a pleasure to finally see, even just on the Blu-ray
-2nd set/encore still just absolutely sick :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
-It's over

I could definitely sense that from the Vancouver show. Just kinda going through the motions. It must be hard though with his arthritis, so I can't say I'm surprised if he wasn't have a ton of fun.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1663 on: November 26, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »
I don't think "going through the motions" is the right way to put it.  I just think it was more of a struggle for Alex and Neil because of how much pain they were in, and it's hard to have fun or even look like you're having fun, when you're hurting and giving your all to get through a 3-hour show.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: November 26, 2015, 10:00:11 AM »
I'll beg them to continue to "go throught the motions" because it's not true.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1665 on: November 26, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »
I haven't seen Rush in a long time but in the half dozen times I have seen them, half of those they were definitely going through motions. Neil has never looked like he was having fun.

But his playing on this tour was very inspired and I don't think he has ever sounded or played better.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: November 26, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
Tim I would say you also didn't connect to the newer music which affected how you enjoyed the show.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1667 on: November 26, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »
I haven't seen Rush in a long time but in the half dozen times I have seen them, half of those they were definitely going through motions. Neil has never looked like he was having fun.

But his playing on this tour was very inspired and I don't think he has ever sounded or played better.

Neil just isn't a flamboyant entertainer.  He does his thing, and he does it brilliantly.  It's not like he's Portnoy or Mangini or anything.  His "schtick" hasn't changed much since the first concert vid I ever saw - A Show of Hands.  As for Alex... I don't know what I was watching then, because nothing stuck out as him going thru the motions in my mind. 

Gezuz guys, let's see what "motions" we're all going thru in our mid-60s.   :D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1668 on: November 26, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
Since Rush regrouped for Vapir Trails the band has had a much different personality. It's like they now appreciate what they have and are enjoying it. There's a lot more joy eminating from the band that was absent from them previously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1669 on: November 26, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »
Neil has never looked like he was having fun.

He always looks like that. :lol I have often said he is the picture of concentration back there, and given that he has not liked playing live for a long time, I think he just concentrates on doing the job well.

There's no way I can say that.  For his age, his playing is still pretty ridiculous, but if you go back and watch Xanadu for ESL, for example, he does several fills that are just crazy fast, and he didn't come close to doing those this time around.  Not that speed means everything, but I think you know what I mean.  Again, for his age, his playing is still off the charts, but he is no longer at the top of his game (which, really, was THE best any rock drummer ever was).  Of the three, I think Geddy is the one you could argue is playing as good as ever (but not singing as good as ever :lol :lol).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: November 27, 2015, 04:27:27 AM »
I would die to hear that.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1672 on: November 27, 2015, 05:32:18 AM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1673 on: November 27, 2015, 06:24:54 AM »

There's no way I can say that.  For his age, his playing is still pretty ridiculous, but if you go back and watch Xanadu for ESL, for example, he does several fills that are just crazy fast, and he didn't come close to doing those this time around.  Not that speed means everything, but I think you know what I mean.  Again, for his age, his playing is still off the charts, but he is no longer at the top of his game (which, really, was THE best any rock drummer ever was).  Of the three, I think Geddy is the one you could argue is playing as good as ever (but not singing as good as ever :lol :lol).

What I should've said was he has never played better since their prime which to me was PW/MP era, so as you correctly cite ESL, we are actually in agreement. Like it or not! :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1674 on: November 27, 2015, 06:35:23 AM »
Tim I would say you also didn't connect to the newer music which affected how you enjoyed the show.

I don't know. I think Hold Your Fire blows, but that might've been the best Rush show I ever saw.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: November 27, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »

I don't know. I think Hold Your Fire blows, but that might've been the best Rush show I ever saw.

T4E tour was killer every show I saw.

Geddy is interested in getting Steven Wilson to remix Rush albums in 5.1

Yup, we would all cream out pants. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1677 on: November 27, 2015, 08:19:01 AM »
I saw the show in Boston. Rush by numbers. That was the last time I saw them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: November 27, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »