Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497164 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1610 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »
https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2015/10/08/4496/Rushs-upcoming-R40-Live-CDDVDBlu-ray-details-cover-tracklist-and-pre-order-now-available

Official trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyMwIdrvpHI&feature=share

Very nice.

Based on the trailer, I suspect this will be another Rush live release I won't get a lot of mileage out of because of Geddy's current live vocals. 

That aside, it will be great to get Losing It on a live DVD finally. :coolio :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1611 on: October 14, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1613 on: October 14, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »
Very nice. :hat

Online Mladen

« Reply #1614 on: October 15, 2015, 07:59:41 AM »
That video floored me. I love this band so much.  :heart

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1615 on: October 15, 2015, 08:09:06 AM »
I've skipped the last few DVDs but I'm getting this for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: October 15, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »

Me too.  I've bought all of the live cd's that they have released but haven't purchased too many of the dvds.  This one is a must.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1617 on: October 18, 2015, 04:00:35 AM »
It's such a shame the tour never came to Europe, but I'm def getting this when it comes out - new Rush AND Paradise Lost DVDs on the same day = :2metal:
Based on the trailer, I suspect this will be another Rush live release I won't get a lot of mileage out of because of Geddy's current live vocals.
I think one of the reasons they chose two lower register songs (Bones and Jacob) as the full preview videos is that Geddy's weaknesses aren't so audible and therefore may not scare away potential buyers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1618 on: October 18, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »

Me too.  I've bought all of the live cd's that they have released but haven't purchased too many of the dvds.  This one is a must.
I've even skipped the live CDs. Last DVD I got was Rush In Rio. I actually only got that CD within the past year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #1619 on: October 20, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
I've seen Rush 5 times in my life, and for whatever reasons, I just didn't make that big of an effort to get to this last tour cycle. Once I heard about the stage show and everything about this tour, I totally kicked myself for not going. I will be  picking up the R40 video release for sure!  :tup
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1620 on: October 21, 2015, 01:12:49 AM »
I've even skipped the live CDs. Last DVD I got was Rush In Rio. I actually only got that CD within the past year.
Why is that - because of Geddy's voice? Personally, I'm glad they've released a video and CD from every tour starting with the Vapor Trails tour - saves me the hassle of having to find a good quality bootleg from each tour! And since the VT tour, they've shaken up the setlist significantly more from tour to tour than they did before Neil's tragedies (besides the R30 tour). So IMO it's worth getting every one of their live releases. And now with the R40 box set, you can get them all together plus a bunch of bonus stuff.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1621 on: October 21, 2015, 06:55:08 AM »
I'm with you Scotty.  It's cheaper to get a Blu Ray than a video bootleg!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1622 on: October 21, 2015, 12:42:34 PM »
Why is that - because of Geddy's voice? Personally, I'm glad they've released a video and CD from every tour starting with the Vapor Trails tour - saves me the hassle of having to find a good quality bootleg from each tour! And since the VT tour, they've shaken up the setlist significantly more from tour to tour than they did before Neil's tragedies (besides the R30 tour). So IMO it's worth getting every one of their live releases. And now with the R40 box set, you can get them all together plus a bunch of bonus stuff.

No, Geddy has nothing to do with it. I just don't have a huge interest in Rush. This past tour was special, and I'm making an exception.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: October 21, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »

No, Geddy has nothing to do with it. I just don't have a huge interest in Rush. This past tour was special, and I'm making an exception.

Don't have a huge interest in Rush?  Ha, good one Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1624 on: October 21, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
Rush to me these days is "just another band". Has been for a long time. Clockwork Angels was excellent, but to me, they have never come close to touching Hemispheres through Moving Pictures. That's why I fell in love with Dream Theater, as they picked up where 1981 Rush left off.

I thought Snakes And Arrows blew, while I do enjoy Vapor Trails, well most of it. I haven't been moved to buy the live offerings.
But I enjoyed the boots of the last tour, and the setlist is amazing. An untouchable 2nd set.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: October 21, 2015, 10:29:09 PM »
Rush to me these days is "just another band". Has been for a long time. Clockwork Angels was excellent, but to me, they have never come close to touching Hemispheres through Moving Pictures. That's why I fell in love with Dream Theater, as they picked up where 1981 Rush left off.

I thought Snakes And Arrows blew, while I do enjoy Vapor Trails, well most of it. I haven't been moved to buy the live offerings.
But I enjoyed the boots of the last tour, and the setlist is amazing. An untouchable 2nd set.

re the bolded.... Of course they haven't.  Nobody has.  Those are God-tier albums, and arguably the best run of four albums ever (imo, they are... only Floyd's run of DSOTM to The Wall comes close to matching it).  If that's the standard you expect them to be held to consistently, then of course you're going to be disappointed.  They had some winners, and some clunkers - but even in the clunkers, there were plenty of songs to love.  And even with S&A Live, they brought out enough from the vault to make it worthwhile.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1626 on: October 21, 2015, 11:59:51 PM »
they have never come close to touching Hemispheres through Moving Pictures.

re the bolded.... Of course they haven't.  Nobody has.  Those are God-tier albums, and arguably the best run of four albums ever

:huh:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: October 22, 2015, 12:19:54 AM »
2112 and AFTK would like to be in that run as well.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: October 22, 2015, 04:57:07 AM »
they have never come close to touching Hemispheres through Moving Pictures.

re the bolded.... Of course they haven't.  Nobody has.  Those are God-tier albums, and arguably the best run of four albums ever

:huh:

Sorry... brain fart at 12:30am.  Considering AFTK is my #3 album of all time, I always default to thinking about that four album run.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1629 on: October 22, 2015, 06:17:37 AM »
I would totally put Power Windows in that tier.   No contest.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1630 on: October 22, 2015, 08:19:04 AM »

re the bolded.... Of course they haven't.  Nobody has.  Those are God-tier albums, and arguably the best run of four albums ever (imo, they are... only Floyd's run of DSOTM to The Wall comes close to matching it).

I prefer Power Windows and Clockwork Angels to Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, as albums.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: October 22, 2015, 08:58:03 AM »
I prefer Power Windows and Clockwork Angels to Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, as albums.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1632 on: October 22, 2015, 09:15:08 AM »
I prefer Grace Under Pressure to Moving Pictures. I couldn't decide between GUP and Permanent Waves though.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1633 on: October 22, 2015, 09:27:01 AM »
2112 and AFTK would like to be in that run as well.
Absolutely.

My point was late 70's/turn if the decade Rush is some of my all time favorite music. I know Power Windows is highly regarded but it's not the direction I wanted Rush to go in. They really became a different band for me.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1634 on: October 22, 2015, 10:02:43 AM »

::)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: October 22, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
Closer to the Heart from R40 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVJDviOuUo

Geddy sounds top notch, and nothing beats a real acoustic 12-string. 

My body is ready.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: October 22, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
 :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: October 22, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »
Oh yeah :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: October 22, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
I'll be picking it up within hours (maybe minutes) of it being released on November 20th.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1639 on: October 27, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1640 on: October 28, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »
Power Windows has some of the best Lyrics NP he's ever written. The music translates them very well!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: October 28, 2015, 03:54:16 PM »
Power Windows has some of the best Lyrics NP he's ever written. The music translates them very well!

Amen!!  So damn uplifting too!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1642 on: October 28, 2015, 04:48:47 PM »

Amen!!  So damn uplifting too!

Yeah, especially after the depressive dystopia of GUP.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1643 on: October 28, 2015, 04:51:15 PM »
Power Windows is uplifting??

Songs about war, nuclear bonbs, greed? :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: October 28, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »
Power Windows is uplifting??

Songs about war, nuclear bonbs, greed? :tup

All feel good stuff lol