Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490133 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2012, 03:50:31 PM »
1 Body Electric dropped for Middletown Dreams
2 Bravado for The Pass
3 Carnies for Seven Cities
4 Manhattan Project for Dreamline
5 Spirit of Radio for 2112

1B, 2B, 3B, 4equal, 5B.

Just got around to really comparing this now. If this is true, Philly is going to be fucking insane.
Philly will be a B show? hadnt counted up to see  :P
Not sure how i feel one way or the other, i think id have to listen to all the songs to decide.. i would like TSOR, but 2112 is epic too  :hefdaddy

"2112" Would be MORE epic if it's the Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx/Grand Finale medley they did on the R30 tour. I did see the picture of Geddy's set list on his keyboard rig, from the Manchester show, which had "Limelight" crossed out between "Tom Sawyer" and "The Spirit Of Radio", so making "2112" the 3-part medley in place of "Limelight" and "The Spirit Of Radio" would make sense, considering it runs about 8:15 long, it would keep the encore at about the same length.

Although, IIRC, this might be the first time they've rotated songs in the encore on an A/B format, but they have changed songs in the encore mid-tour before, like on the Presto Tour, the encore began with "The Big Money", then changed to "The Spirit Of Radio".

Less than 2 hours til show time!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2012, 06:26:51 PM »
Middletown is being played. Color me surprised, this is awesome. It's like the band has taken everything I've ever wanted for the past few tours and thrown it into this, fucking amazing!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
I'd rather see Middletown over Body Electric, Seven Cities instead of Carnies, and 2112 instead of TSOR, but I want to see Bravado and Manhattan Project more than any of those others, so A wins out.

And it turns out one of my friends is trying to sell a Rush ticket for the Charlotte show, which would be an A show.  Hopefully I'll nail this interview and I can finance it for $20/month for six months.  That would be RAD.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »
I suspect that if they end the show with 2112, they will play The Grand Finale after the Overture and Temples.

Kev - you were right! They brought back the R30 version of "2112" and played "Grand Finale" tonight, though no word on whether or not Alex played the solo at the end. I hope he does!

As noted, the alternate "Night B" set list was played tonight. Now the only question that remains, for the set list this tour, is whether or not "Limelight" will make it to the encore between "Tom Sawyer" and "The Spirit Of Radio" in the "Night A" set list.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »
This tour is totally tits. Seriously, this is the best tour of Rush's post golden age career.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »
This tour is totally tits. Seriously, this is the best tour of Rush's post golden age career.

Totally! This is probably one of my favorite set lists of the last 20 years (from the RTB tour to now), I'd say right up there with the Counterparts and Test For Echo tour set lists.

I really hope both sets make it to the DVD/CD set!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2012, 09:50:16 PM »
Save for 2112, I love the A set so much more.

I guess this means I'm headed to Bridgeport instead of Philly.

Nothing is ever easy.......

If there is a C set, I guess that means I'm in deep doo doo.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »
For my father and my brother, the fact that they are playing Limelight pissed them off
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
So I'm watching a video of "Headlong Flight" from Manchester, and Neil's short solo in the middle of the song features him playing to samples of Alex/Geddy playing riffs from the song. It seems like Neil has dissected his traditional 8-10 minute drum solo and divided it into three parts:
The Acoustic Drum Solo - played in the middle of "Where's My Thing?", features some of Neil's old solo bits, like the Waltz and cross-overs
The Samples Play-Along - played in the middle of "Headlong Flight", taking the place of his usual horn-samples he's played since the Power Windows Tour
The Electronic Drum Solo - played before "Red Sector A", features a whole new first half with techno sounds, then does some 7/8 things Neil loves to do, then brings back the steam-y sound bits from his Time Machine Tour solo

Over-all, between these 3 solo spots, he's featured for about 5:45 of the show, considerably less than he's done in recent years. I thoroughly enjoy that Neil is shaking things up with his solo. His solo, as it was, had been growing and evolving since 1986, and while it's changed a bit more in the last few tours, I'm glad he's decided to do something different. I wonder if he was just getting tired of doing 8-10 minute solo spots for himself? Either way, it's a neat way for him to be featured throughout the set!

EDIT - some more notes about this tour that I've compiled (and thusly sent to Eric @ the Power Windows website)

Also of note:
"2112" played on the "Night B" set list is the R30 version with Grand Finale after Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx
Alex has a keyboard rig on his right, which (so far that I've seen) he plays during "The Garden"
With "Night B" being real, only 8 out of 20 albums are not represented on this tour: FBN, COS, AFTK, HEMI, CP, TFE, VT and FB.

A total of 30 songs are featured on this tour, with 5 swapping out each night. In Comparison:
24 - Time Machine Tour
31 - Snakes & Arrows Tour (both legs)
34 - R30 Tour (counting the 6 parts of the R30 Overture separately, otherwise, it's 29)
31 - Vapor Trails Tour (counting song swaps and the addition of CTTH)
25 - Test For Echo Tour
(Drum solos were not counted in the song counts above)

Over-all, the show is longer than the previous tour (by about 18 minutes), but shorter than the Snakes & Arrows Tour (by about 15 minutes), and about as long as the average Vapor Trails Tour show (music only, not counting intro/outro videos).

Song Notes:
-The band plays a total of 10 new songs from the album, dismissing only "BU2B" and "BU2B2", though the former was played on the Time Machine Tour, meaning all but ONE of the album's songs will have been played live.
-"Subdivisions", along with staples "Tom Sawyer", "The Spirit Of Radio", "YYZ", "Working Man", and "Far Cry", all return from the Time Machine Tour
-"Dreamline" returns from the Snakes & Arrows Tour
-"Force Ten", "Red Sector A" and the "2112" Medley both return from the R30 Tour
-"The Big Money", "The Pass" and "Bravado" all return since last being played on the Vapor Trails Tour in 2002
-"The Analog Kid" returns since last being played on the Counterparts Tour
-"Where's My Thing?" returns having ONLY been played on the Roll The Bones Tour
-"Manhattan Project" returns, last seen on the Presto Tour
-"Territories" returns since last being played on the Hold Your Fire Tour
-"Grand Designs" AND "Middletown Dreams" both return, having ONLY been played on the Power Windows Tour
-"The Body Electric" returns since last being played on the Power Windows Warm-Up Tour in March 1985

-Only 5 songs are played from their Pre-Signals albums: "Working Man", "2112", "The Spirit Of Radio", "Tom Sawyer", and "YYZ" (possibly 6 if "Limelight" does indeed return), and they're all played at the end of the show.
-Only 5 songs are played from albums between Presto and Snakes & Arrows: "The Pass", "Dreamline", "Bravado", "Where's My Thing?", and "Far Cry", and all but "Dreamline" are played in the first set.
-A total of 10 songs hail from their 80's/Synth material (Signals-Hold Your Fire), and a total of 10 songs are being played from the new album, both chunks making up 2/3rds of the total songs played this tour.

-Since the R30 Tour, Rush have played SEVEN out of EIGHT tracks from Power Windows: "Mystic Rhythms" on the R30 Tour, "Marathon" on the Time Machine Tour, and the other five on this tour. The only track not played (and still remains to be) - "Emotion Detector"
-Similarly, since the Vapor Trails Tour, 4 songs from Signals have been played ("Subdivisions", "The Analog Kid", "Digital Man", and "New World Man") and 4 songs from Grace Under Pressure have been played ("Distant Early Warning", "Red Sector A", "The Body Electric" and "Between The Wheels").
-However, only 3 tracks have been played from Hold Your Fire and are the only tracks from that album that were played AFTER the Hold Your Fire Tour - "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still" and "Mission".

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:58:52 AM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2012, 11:45:41 PM »
Very nice. :tup :tup

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2012, 04:30:00 AM »
I didn't quite believe it when I read the setlist - a LOT of 80's stuff. Fortunately, I love that era, and I'm stoked about seeing that stuff live. I'm glad they're shaking things up.  :metal

Prefer Set A, though - TSOR is a better closer than 2112, and I'd rather hear Bravado and Manhatten Project over Dreamline and The Pass (although I'd much rather hear both!)
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »
It was a nice surprise seeing Alex play the piano section before the guitar solo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
Looking forward to the show in a couple of weeks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »
I just realized they're making the pop corns next to Neil's set. They've always had ridiculous stage props like this, although the washing machines were teh best.  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
Now I really hope they add another US   leg in spring next year. Summer would be nice as well
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »
"The measure of a life, is a measure of love and respect; so hard to earn, so easily burned..."  :metal

My best friend has been getting into the album lately. I didn't really like Clockwork Angels at first, but ever since we listened to it on a long car drive, it's been growing on me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »
Hmmm, back to Set List A tonight, but it looks like 2112 was still played instead of The Spirit of Radio, Wish Them Well was dropped and they played both Carnies and Seven Cities of Gold. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2012, 09:47:42 PM »
Hmmm, back to Set List A tonight, but it looks like 2112 was still played instead of The Spirit of Radio, Wish Them Well was dropped and they played both Carnies and Seven Cities of Gold.

It's very interesting. Still no sign of "Limelight", and it would be a shame if they've permanently dropped "The Spirit Of Radio", although having that solo in "Grand Finale" again is pretty fantastic.

Also, having both "Carnies" AND "Seven Cities Of Gold" is pretty epic. Guess we'll have to wait a few more shows to see how this set list pans out!

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »
2112 >> SoR

I'm shocked as hell that SoR isn't being played at every show, as I've always considered it and Tom Sawyer the two that would never be dropped (although they did try it with SoR once before), but I'm happy about it.

Also, I think it's pretty clear why the setlists look a lot like they do. I think Geddy was reaching the point where they either had to cut down the show time a lot to keep playing the amount of older material they were used to, or they could keep the length and play more stuff he can sing easier. It's telling that all the old staples are at the end of the set as well. Sing the easy stuff for most of the night and then it's not as bad if you end up blowing it out a bit at the end.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2012, 10:20:52 PM »
2112 >> SoR

I'm shocked as hell that SoR isn't being played at every show, as I've always considered it and Tom Sawyer the two that would never be dropped (although they did try it with SoR once before), but I'm happy about it.

Also, I think it's pretty clear why the setlists look a lot like they do. I think Geddy was reaching the point where they either had to cut down the show time a lot to keep playing the amount of older material they were used to, or they could keep the length and play more stuff he can sing easier. It's telling that all the old staples are at the end of the set as well. Sing the easy stuff for most of the night and then it's not as bad if you end up blowing it out a bit at the end.

True. It is pretty odd. I just hope that ALL Of the songs being played this tour (that is, all 30 of them) will be recorded and filmed for a future live DVD and CD release. There's just no excuse not to release all of these wonderful songs, many of which would see their first live release!

-Marc.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2012, 03:12:19 AM »
Wish Them Well was dropped and they played both Carnies and Seven Cities of Gold.

IMO, Seven Cities is one of the stronger tracks on the new album, and the one that I was most looking forward to seeing live, so I was very surprised it was a rotational song. Wish Them Well is my least favourite song, so I'm quite glad that's not a permanent feature of the setlist after all.

Still can't quite believe there's no Limelight, no Freewill, Spirit of Radio is on rotation, and they're playing five songs from Power Windows plus The Body Electric...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2012, 05:23:02 AM »
Wish them well is a classic, I like it better than Carnies and Seven cities.  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2012, 06:26:50 AM »
As a fan who's seen them 29 times, I'm glad they are mixing it up.  I know they have to play some standards but I am glad it's not 10 standard songs deep.  Good to see them cut the amount of standard songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »
Neil is 60 today!!!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Mladen

« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »
Happy birthday, you Genius!  :hefdaddy

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
Happy Birthday to Cornelius Ellwood Peart! ♫♫

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »
I'll join in, too! Happy Birthday to one of my greatest inspirations and influences as a musician, percussionist and drummer - Neil Peart! a.k.a. The Professor a.k.a. Pratt a.k.a. Dr. Braino

-Marc.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
1 Body Electric dropped for Middletown Dreams
2 Bravado for The Pass
3 Carnies for Seven Cities
4 Manhattan Project for Dreamline
5 Spirit of Radio for 2112

1B, 2B, 3B, 4equal, 5B.

Just got around to really comparing this now. If this is true, Philly is going to be fucking insane.

No it isn't. This is why I'm dropping Philly and driving 4 hours to Bridgeport without a ticket.

I love 2112 and all, but I'm not missing my shot at The Body Electric and Manhattan Project before they've realized their mistake!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
Now I really hope they add another US   leg in spring next year. Summer would be nice as well

Don't worry. Already planned for sometime in 2013.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »
That's cool to hear. They usually come back to Minnesota when they do that
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »
And by then, they will have dropped Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions for Open Secrets and Everyday Glory. :coolio :hat :eek :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2012, 10:41:24 PM »
And by then, they will have dropped Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions for Open Secrets and Everyday Glory. :coolio :hat :eek :biggrin:

I want to laugh, but at this point who the fuck knows. I still seriously can't wrap my head around how far out the window they've thrown out the playbook, it's awesome.