Author Topic: College  (Read 29232 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: College
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »
Does anyone else still have homework? I have to do these three chapter/personal summaries for psych, going to try to do them today/tomorrow so I can relax.

I have 14k words due in on January 7th... I've done approx 6k so far. All needing tidying up. So my Xmas break is going to be spent writing essays and reading!

And this is just the first semester!

Sounds fun. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
Does anyone else still have homework? I have to do these three chapter/personal summaries for psych, going to try to do them today/tomorrow so I can relax.

I have 14k words due in on January 7th... I've done approx 6k so far. All needing tidying up. So my Xmas break is going to be spent writing essays and reading!

Sounds fun. :)

My Christmas is going to be one long load of fun, for varying reasons :P I do get a week inbetween Semesters in January though where other than paid jobs I can actually breathe a sigh of relief, before doing it all again...
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online Adami

« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
Ah, well I guess I just love writing. I actually used to write class mates papers on top of mine just for fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »
I loved it when I was undergrad writing about music as I actually felt like I knew what I was talking about... now I'm postgrad doing Social Work and it's all so new I (and all of my classmates apparently) feel well outta depth!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »

Fourteen thousand? This isn't for an undergrad degree, is it? Cause that's pretty insane.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »

Fourteen thousand? This isn't for an undergrad degree, is it? Cause that's pretty insane.

It's for a Masters. It's more words in the first semester than I think I wrote in my entire first or second year undergrad. It's pretty scary. Then we do it all again until April/May, the straight into a five month full-time placement. This is without doubt the hardest academic/career thing I've ever attempted!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2012, 12:54:42 PM »

It's for a Masters. It's more words in the first semester than I think I wrote in my entire first or second year undergrad. It's pretty scary. Then we do it all again until April/May, the straight into a five month full-time placement. This is without doubt the hardest academic/career thing I've ever attempted!
Ah I see. What are you writing on?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »
The papers I have due in January are... one on the moral and legal implications of compulsorarily treating anorexics, one on counselling skills in social work practice, another on what makes a good and bad assessment and my nemesis, 4.5 k words on the way laws reflect society's dominant norms and values... bit of a mixed bag really. At least next year I get to take a module on drugs.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
Wow. There's so many different perspectives you could come from on any of those topics. Well...good luck and don't procrastinate!

Online Adami

« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »
The papers I have due in January are... one on the moral and legal implications of compulsorarily treating anorexics, one on counselling skills in social work practice, another on what makes a good and bad assessment and my nemesis, 4.5 k words on the way laws reflect society's dominant norms and values... bit of a mixed bag really. At least next year I get to take a module on drugs.

Though my masters was in psychology I have to say that that paper sounds fun to me. I dunno guess I'm weird.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
Wow. There's so many different perspectives you could come from on any of those topics. Well...good luck and don't procrastinate!

Thanks... given that I've already written two and plan to write the other two this and next week and spend the first week of Jan making them good, I don't think I'm doing too badly... the fear is incessant though lol.

Though my masters was in psychology I have to say that that paper sounds fun to me. I dunno guess I'm weird.

Which one in particular?

Online Adami

« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »

Which one in particular?

Well the moral and legal implications of compulsorily treating anorexics sounds just down right fascinating. The one on counselling skills in a social work practice would be interesting if I knew more about social work, which would be nice to learn. The good and bad assessments one might get a little too heated for me since I have rather strong views on the matter, and the one on how laws reflect societies norms and values seems very interesting as well. Although I'd have to study English laws of course first.

Of course I have no idea how papers are written in your system, so for all I know the way I write would get low marks, dunno. But it would be fun none the less. :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:34:52 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
My project this winter break is to prepare for my French course next quarter. Although I took 4 years in high school, that was 3 1/2 years ago and I forgot nearly everything. Gotta get back on track in the next few weeks.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
FUCK YES, got an A- in formal languages. :metal  Three classes left (but that was the hard one, anyway).

Online Adami

« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
FUCK YES, got an A- in formal languages. :metal  Three classes left (but that was the hard one, anyway).

Congrats dude!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
Congrats! Shows that you do not fuck around.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »
Not when it comes to theoretical computer science, anyway.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »
Have you decided on a major yet, theseoafs? And where are you going to school?

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »
I'm going to the University of Chicago for computer science.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
Nice. This is your...freshman year, is it? Or sophomore year?

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »
2nd year.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »
Cool. Best of luck...you'll be out before you know it. :)

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »
Got a 95 on my music final.
93 on my psych term paper.

Finals are over, waiting for grades.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:27:07 PM by Cecilia »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
Very soon going to graduate. Two more quarters, but I'm squeezing in more classes than before, on top of work. And I have to pull my 2.91 GPA to a 3.0 if I am to qualify for the grad school I want to get into.

But I am getting very excited for next quarter. No science classes so I can focus on these other classes a little bit more -

FRE 2 - Elementary French
MUS 10 - Intro Music Lit
PHI 21 - Phil: Ancient
PHI 101 - Metaphysics
PHI 128 - Rationality

The philosophy department at Davis is okay. It's really barebones and not very cutting edge. That's okay, I'm outie by summer. :victorydance:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
I'm basically done with actual classes now, so I just have my senior design project to work on and then I graduate in june. Woo.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Spring 2013 is my 14th and final semester of undergrad. Hurray  :D

so I decided to make the most of the academic and intellectual potential that my university has to offer:

FMA 3770   Horror film study
KINS 1022  Swimming
Art  2016  Ceramics
KINS 1043  Weight Training II

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2013, 05:01:47 AM »

Which one in particular?

Well the moral and legal implications of compulsorily treating anorexics sounds just down right fascinating. The one on counselling skills in a social work practice would be interesting if I knew more about social work, which would be nice to learn. The good and bad assessments one might get a little too heated for me since I have rather strong views on the matter, and the one on how laws reflect societies norms and values seems very interesting as well. Although I'd have to study English laws of course first.

Of course I have no idea how papers are written in your system, so for all I know the way I write would get low marks, dunno. But it would be fun none the less. :)

I have 2k words left of this AWFUL law essay, I know bloody nothing about law, it's killing me! But I've written the drafts of all of the rest of them. The anorexia one was fascinating, I learnt so much just writing the paper. Honestly can't wait to get it all handed in on Monday, and have a week off from academic stuff!

Offline John94

« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2013, 07:04:53 AM »
I start my second semester of the first year on Monday. Got a few essays before then. Up to now I can't say I have enjoyed Uni really. Then again I suppose the real experience of it is what you get when you move away from home and alls I have to do is get off a bus every morning and get the same bus back.

I don't really regret not moving away, maybe the social aspect a bit, but I have no regrets especially with my nephew just being born.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2013, 07:10:51 AM »
I start my second semester of the first year on Monday. Got a few essays before then. Up to now I can't say I have enjoyed Uni really. Then again I suppose the real experience of it is what you get when you move away from home and alls I have to do is get off a bus every morning and get the same bus back.

I don't really regret not moving away, maybe the social aspect a bit, but I have no regrets especially with my nephew just being born.

Yeah uni is totally different when you move for it I think, my primary motivation for going to university was because it's the easiest way to move out of your home, it's kinda a stepping stone between being at home and being in your own place working to pay the bills etc, with all the financial support you get given for it here in the UK. That's awesome about your nephew, though. Does living at home mean you get to be closer to him?

Offline John94

« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2013, 07:18:03 AM »

Yeah uni is totally different when you move for it I think, my primary motivation for going to university was because it's the easiest way to move out of your home, it's kinda a stepping stone between being at home and being in your own place working to pay the bills etc, with all the financial support you get given for it here in the UK. That's awesome about your nephew, though. Does living at home mean you get to be closer to him?

As a family we are pretty close (both location and relationship  :lol) and I've been there for my sister when she was pregnant and helped her out when he was born. Forming a bond with the baby in the process. Seriously all the kid has to do is smile at me and my days just turned around.

The money issue played a small factor, I do get a fair bit of support with grants and stuff, and I applied for scholarships. One of my friends moved away and pays £90 a week for a bed alone. Then he is forced to move into a house (with other people) in the second year.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:23 AM »

As a family we are pretty close (both location and relationship  :lol) and I've been there for my sister when she was pregnant and helped her out when he was born. Forming a bond with the baby in the process. Seriously all the kid has to do is smile at me and my days just turned around.

The money issue played a small factor, I do get a fair bit of support with grants and stuff, and I applied for scholarships. One of my friends moved away and pays £90 a week for a bed alone. Then he is forced to move into a house (with other people) in the second year.

I know that feeling, I have two nephews and can honestly say the love I feel for them, they're the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.  Just seeing them and doing the usual childcare stuff of helping potty train and feeding and getting sick on me and holding his hand near the roads, everything is just utter bliss for me. So I can understand wanting to stay close to him.

Yeah I paid around that per week for my accommodation, though bills were included. Is moving into a house not something you fancy doing? Each to their own but personally I find going to uni/college, the greatest thing you can do for your personal and emotional development is to get out there and live in your own place, learn how to get along living with other people you may not like or know very well, and have the freedom to do whatever you like with nobody breathing down your neck. I would say that was probably the best part of uni for me. My attitude was more well, money will come and go throughout my life but I'll never have the opportunity to let loose as a teenager at uni ever again. Though now I'm back at uni and nearly 25 it's even more fun the second time around!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:50:00 AM by nightmare_cinema »

Online Adami

« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
I just got an e-mail confirming that the entirety of my application has finally been received and now I have to wait 4-6 weeks to see if I get accepted.

I really hope I do. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »
Why is your attitude always so pessimistic? You got your stuff together. Think about the people that just mess around for years without going to school, and you've already got two degrees.

Online Adami

« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
Why is your attitude always so pessimistic? You got your stuff together. Think about the people that just mess around for years without going to school, and you've already got two degrees.

When did I come off as pessimistic? I just said I hope I get in. The sad face was more a sign of my having to wait to find out.

Am I 100% confident I'll get in? Nope. Thus waiting gives me lots of time to doubt.
fanticide.bandcamp.com