Author Topic: College  (Read 29206 times)

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
Re: College
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
I'm in a similar boat to Phoenix. This is my 6th year, still in undergrad; I've also just switched majors several times. I've held on to Geography though, and I'll probably be through with that in a year and a half. I transferred from community college to a bigger university just a couple of years ago. I took last semester off and just worked for a while. I've been back for a week and I'm quite excited; all my classes are higher-level major classes, so it's nice to not have to take prereqs/general ed crap anymore (though I do have a couple left to take that I've just been putting off).

Offline Cable

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
I just have a feeling that studying and doing homework is gonna hit some kids hard. I have about 100 pages to read for Wednesday and have spent time today reading and taking notes to get it done. A lot of the other kids on the floor are still just hanging out in the lounge and not doing their homework despite saying that they have a lot of work to do.

At least I see it like that in my eyes.

This is really the interesting part of college and/or university. There a few extremely smart people who, depending on the university's challenge, can party and ace things. I do not find them in the majority at all. I believe only 30% (probably 40% now) of most 1st year students make it to the second year? That is a number I saw somewhere a while ago, and is an aggregate probably.

Stick with this mindset Systematic Thought that you have.
Not directly a part of this thread, but as some advice from a graduate level grad; in a year, start hanging around with professors and helping them out. This is what so many people miss out on the higher level of education. It builds your resume and experience, and just as importantly, gives you references and/or contacts.
---

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 06:54:34 PM »
Thanks, I just feel like a bit of a loner at times because I did stick to reading today. I guess I just find the work important and the socializing can come on the weekend. Of course, you do need to find the balance of work and play.

Despite feeling like the loner, a still had a great day. The people in my class are really cool and nice
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
Luckily I won't have too much work ahead of me judging on what I've my instructor gave us today, It was a calendar of what we're doing for every day of the semester, and when the tests are and every thing, and the way my instructor lays out our work out it doesn't look too bad at all.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
A ton of people at my college only worry about what parties they can get to at night, and are only there for the fun of escaping home, getting drunk, high, and having fun. I'm not that type of person so I'll definitely be spending most of my time in the art studio, the soccer field, or reading/studying/working. I've already made a lot of new friends, but I'm not liking the vibe I get from a lot of people-- even our orientation counselors were telling the students where the best parties were and what to do if you had a class and a hangover.

As for that aspect of college; blegh. As for the learning and the new experiences? Awesome.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
I really haven't had the college social experience a lot of people seem to have had. Never lived in a dorm. I live in an apartment now pretty close to school, but I still have never really made friends at school. I feel fortunate to not live the stereotypical college party life, but on the other hand I wish I could meet people more easily.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 10:49:05 PM »

got my college hoody, seriously love it already, so comfy :)

Offline jsem

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
Today and Yesterday were my first two days of uni @ Uppsala University.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »
First day of actual class stuff today went by really easy, the instructor is really nice and easy to talk to about any problems you had understanding it, only 2 pages of home work tonight, not bad at all  :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
The secret is to not do your homework until ten minutes before class. You'll get great grades if you do that.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
The secret is to not do your homework until ten minutes before class. You'll get great grades if you do that.

Not sure if you're serious... :lol
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »
It's a method tried and true.

But seriously, it may seem like you have a buttload of work to do. I'm not sure what your major is, but you'll definitely have to take GE classes which require lots of reading. If you feel like you can't read 40 pages out a history textbook every night, don't be afraid to prioritize your work and cut it if it's not mandatory reading.

It's kind of like chess. You're trying to get the king, right? The king is your A+. But you can't play the game without making sacrifices. Learn to balance your workload, your health, and your social life to achieve your highest level of efficiency.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:31:09 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 03:07:51 PM »
It's kind of like chess. You're trying to get the king, right? The king is your A+. But you can't play the game without making sacrifices. Learn to balance your workload, your health, and your social life to achieve your highest level of efficiency.

Indeed.  :clap:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »

If you wait till the last minute to do something, it only takes a minute to do.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Great day today. I went to class in the morning and was done by 11. Walked back to the dorm, went to lunch with some friends in the dorm. Did my homework and laundry for a few hours, and then went to dinner with some more friends and now I'm back here in the dorm and now people finally have homework! They're like me now, in dorms studying.

Here's a picture I snapped on my way back to my dorm.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »

Indeed.  :clap:

Yep; that's really the secret to college right there.

New undergrads are often drawn to extremes: they have to drink all the beer, then come home and read all of War and Peace before banging out an eleven page paper in the remaining three hours before class starts.  That may be fun or exhilarating and it could be productive for a little while, but you can't keep that up for very long.

The key is to find a happy medium between trying to do absolutely everything (which will backfire inevitably) and not really doing anything of substance (which is a waste of your time and money).

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »

I think I'm doing a good job at that already, I turned down a second job where I could make a ton, and just tonight I cancelled on plans to make sure I get my first homework assignment done. I'll do my best to keep this technique going.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »
So... I just finished my first class of Management, which is also the first class of my Marketing Program, and we spent it trying to figure out how to pass a snowman between 25 in under 5 seconds. My prof is really cool and a very interesting guy, sounds like I shall have a fun this semester  :tup

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »
Fun College story: Today, I had a class where my professor brought up making thought connections and comparing it to discovering your favorite band. He talked about how you can remember that moment when everything just clicked. I just looked down at my "A Dramatic Tour of Events" T-Shirt and just smiled.  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:34:44 PM by Cedar redaC »

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
Fun College story: Today, I had a class where he brought up making thought connections and comparing it to discovering your favorite band. He talked about how you can remember that moment when everything just clicked. I just looked down at my "A Dramatic Tour of Events" T-Shirt and just smiled.  :)

Cool story dude! thats awesome!  :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »
Meeting some awesome people at college, but none as fantastic as the friends I have from high school. Some people are absolutely alien to me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »
I'm realizing that people in college are freakin bums. It's kind of uninspiring after a while. I remember people being twice as productive in high school.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
I'm realizing that people in college are freakin bums. It's kind of uninspiring after a while. I remember people being twice as productive in high school.

For me I see a lot more people doing work around my college than I did in high school. It's a pretty awesome work environment around my school.

Meeting some awesome people at college, but none as fantastic as the friends I have from high school. Some people are absolutely alien to me.

Theres definitely people a lot older than myself so its a little awkward socializing with those people, but it's neat seeing people around my age or a little older and socializing with them, I've made a lot of friends this past week, also being a senior in high school it felt like sometimes there was no sign of intelligent life in the younger grades so it's a nice change seeing mature people around me.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2012, 01:38:55 AM »
A lot of the "friends" I made my freshman year felt that way: temporary. I'd only be friends with people for the semester that I was in the same class as them, and then I was shocked the next semester when thy wanted nothing to do with me. It was the same with everyone. The ties I tried to make to my teachers or to extra curricular things, none of the women I thought I might have something with, none of the people I lived in the dorms with. Never felt like I was laying down foundations for my future, just that we were all kind of dealing with each other as long as we had to. Did so piss poorly my first semester (fuck general classes, just let me get straight to my major) that they threatened to kick me out, was so depressed and disillusioned with everything that I literally didn't do anything my second semester (rarely showed up to class, just hung around my dorm or with my high school friend (i.e. my roommate)) except drinking and partying, ended up flunking out (this still haunts me four years later. I have never seen my father so ashamed of me.), managed to weasel my way back in for a third semester.

Third semester I actually managed to do better than I had the previous two, and for once I was proud of myself. Got my shit together, lived off campus, actually had a girl who was interested in me, but before we could really get to know each other, the guy who let me back in kicked me out again because apparently I hadn't met the conditions he presented me with to keep me there. I was told I needed all C+ grades or above, which I did, but he pulled some "Oh well I forgot you need this high of a GPA too." thing at the last minute. Goodbye everything. Was told I could not re-apply for any University of Wisconsin schools for two years. Wound up going to community college near home from 2009 - 2011, and hated every second of it. Only a few teachers actually seem to give a fuck about what they're doing, and the recent paper budget from last year really took the piss out of a lot of those classes. Managed to slog through a few semesters of general classes, and I graduated with a liberal arts degree, but fuck that.

After a three-semester break spent working at a damn grocery store while living with my parents, I'm going back into the University of WI system in January. Going to see what I can do in the area of computer technology. At this point I'm 23, I don't feel like going there to make friends or get my future wife or whatever the fuck, I just want a degree in a growing field that will get me out of this state.

My point, people in college, is have fun when you can afford to, but don't be a massive fuck up like I was. You want to look back fondly on your college years, they're supposed to be a high point of your life, not a time you remember with a complete disdain for your teenage self for derailing your future so badly. I can't even think about 2008 without cringing in disgust.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
Welp, I leave for University tomorrow. I'm extremely excited but nervous at the same time. I'm probably putting too much pressure in myself, but there is a lot that needs to happen while I'm away from home like this for the first time.

Oh man.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »
Welp, I leave for University tomorrow. I'm extremely excited but nervous at the same time. I'm probably putting too much pressure in myself, but there is a lot that needs to happen while I'm away from home like this for the first time.

Oh man.

Good luck man! I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

What makes you say that? At least in my major, most of my classmates work incredibly hard.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »

Oh man.

You'll do just fine!  :)

Who else has a shitload of homework? Just finished up my first week, and I am slammed. Already have a paper to write for one of my classes!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 06:02:56 PM »
Still two weeks before I leave  :'(

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »
I got hit with a lot of homework and it seems like I'm the only one.

What I've found out, though, is that my roommates always come in around 11 PM or midnight and always complain about how they have a lot of homework to do and often times will put it off until the last minute. Me on the other hand, am always having fun around 11 or midnight because I finished all of my homework.

They do nothing all day but go around talking. I'm balancing working 8 hours 4 days a week from 2-10:15 and I still manage to get all my work done.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »
^^

I've got a friend that always waits till 11pm the night before an exam to start studying for an exam, where as I start studying around 5 days ahead of time and break up the material into smaller pieces.

I used to break his balls about it, but he always ends up getting the same grades as me, so more power to him. I just can't stand sleep deprivation.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 07:54:30 PM »
They might be like that too, and I agree, more power to them. It's just more of how they complain about how stressful it is that they have so much homework, but want to sleep.

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
Welp, here we are. Gonna go out and explore the campus a bit soon. I'm just feeling a little anxious.

I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ħ

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »

What makes you say that? At least in my major, most of my classmates work incredibly hard.
People do work hard on midterms/finals week, I guess, but there's basically no one in the library or in lecture on other weeks.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »
I'm in the process of applying to a number of colleges right now. It has actually been quite a stressful time for me. Can't wait to be done with it, hopefully accepted somewhere.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.