Author Topic: College  (Read 29219 times)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
College
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:47:33 PM »
Hey DTF! So I start college tomorrow! I'm really nervous but very excited! I thought a thread to talk about college stuff would be a good idea! Let me know some memories or current school related happenings that you guys have! I'd love to get a glimpse into others experiences.

So here's my story! Tomorrow is my first day of college. I'm very nervous but just as excited to start this. I'm starting in the Marketing and Management Program at my local college, College of New Caledonia, in Prince George, BC, Canada. Wish me luck guys, not sure if I'll need it but just in case. Thanks again,  :tup I'll try and update this thread as time goes on :)

See ya, Brett.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: College
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
You living on campus or still chilling with your family?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
theseoafs checking in.  Second-year at UChicago.  School doesn't start for me until October (stupid quarter system).

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »
You living on campus or still chilling with your family?

With the family for the 1st few years, I'll do 3 years of college to get my marketing diploma, but after that I can enter into 3rd year University courses at University of Calgary.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »
I have my first class tomorrow too. I've been living at college for the past 5 days and it's been an experience and a lot of fun.

Good luck tomorrow
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »
Starting my third year of classes tomorrow as well.

Whoooooooooo...

But really it's not bad. :)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »
I have my first class tomorrow too. I've been living at college for the past 5 days and it's been an experience and a lot of fun.

Good luck tomorrow

Thanks man! Good luck to you too!  :D Glad to see your enjoying campus life  :tup

Starting my third year of classes tomorrow as well.

Whoooooooooo...

But really it's not bad. :)

Haha I heard it's actually a lot of fun! It's still an intimidating step for me but I'm ready for this! Should be exciting!  :D

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
In the middle of summer session at UC Davis. Entering the fourth year out of five.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
Omigawd you're all grown up!

I am thankfully done with college (and grad school- man, time flies), but I remember how exciting/terrifying it was to start. I was mostly just thrilled to be out of high school and my hometown :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »
I guess we are ;) I'm definitely excited to be out of high school, but in all honesty I really enjoyed high school too, I'll miss it, well mostly learning history from my favourite teacher, but I'm so excited and terrified. Should be fun tomorrow though :) Next step after this is going on to university out of town  :)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 12:53:17 AM »
Yeah, I start my first year at a University in a couple of weeks (just finished Community college to get my transfer degree, so I have two years knocked out so far). I have to say, I'm fucking EXCITED but also pretty nervous and anxious. So yeah.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
I go back up on Thursday. My college just lovessssss starting on Labor Day.
caw caw

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 03:57:19 AM »
Today begins my 7th year of undergrad. I've changed my major so many times that I've lost count, but this time I think I got it right with Pre-pharmacy. So just this one more year of college to go...  and then four years of grad school. The fun never stops.

But anyway,

Best of luck to you YtseCullen. College is a 100 times better then High School.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 04:57:03 AM »
Elite checking in. I'm starting my third year of musicology at the University of Utrecht. My classes begin in the week of September 10th, but my first actual class is on the 12th.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 05:25:33 AM »
One more year until I'm whisked away to College/University. Oh shit.

I hope you enjoy it man!
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 05:30:17 AM »
One more year until I'm whisked away to College/University. Oh shit.

I hope you enjoy it man!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 05:39:22 AM »
Sophomore music major, here. Today begins week 2. My class schedule on Monday and Friday is abhorrent, but the midweek is a bit better. Friday, I literally have classes from 9:30 to 5:45 in the evening with no breaks at all.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline John94

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 06:27:14 AM »
Well, in the UK, I am starting University next month which is the equivalent of College in the US. I am going to be staying at home as it will be much cheaper for me as the University is a 10 minute bus ride away. I will doing a 4 year course in IT, which I got a scholarship for, but I am feeling a bit apprehensive as I am not the most social person at times (apart from when I am with friends who I actually know) and I will be on my own the majority of time for a few weeks until I meet (hopefully) new people. The fact I don't drink or feel drawn towards alcohol would look like a bit of a stumbling block to some, especially considering my town is one of the most party centred places ever!

Ah well, if it doesn't work out at least I will be able to go to my real home at the end of the day and not some halls of residence where I would feel even more out of place.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:26 AM »
Graduated about three months ago.  Still on the job search.  Everybody enjoy college the best you can, they really are magical years.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 07:45:04 AM »
Best advice I can give. Don't sit on the railings of balconies. You might fall asleep.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »
I'm starting my first semester at a local community college in a week or so.

I guess I'm a freshman, they only took 20 of my transfer credits from my previous school, I had 53 credits. I live too far away from the main campus, so I am going to two different off campuses and taking an online class. My major is liberal arts and social science, so I still don't know what I want to do.

Best advice I can give is stick to it, and don't drop out. It's hard to go back.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
Just had two classes, one left for the day. Loving it so far
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »
Other side of the lectern checking in.  I only got half way through my planned lesson because unit conversions was appearently difficult as all fuck.  Now I have to figure out how to simplify it for Wednesday.  At least the students appriciated that I stopped when I realized they weren't ready to move on.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Besides the "meet new people, try new things" advice that every new college student hears a million times, I have two pieces of advice:

1) Go to class. Seriously. It's easy to tell yourself you don't need to because you can just learn it from the book, but while that may actually be true unless you have a stellar work ethic just spending the hour or whatever it is in class will almost always be a more efficient use of your time.

2) Do everything in your power to study abroad, ideally for a full year. It's just too valuable and awesome of an opportunity to deny.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
So I just finished orientation and I'm grabbing breakfast with some people that I met, my class starts in an hour. Sounds like a chill environment here. Loving it. It's cool to see I'm not the only one starting college. We'll have to keep this thread updated so we can share some of what's happening with each other  :D

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
Glad to hear it's going well. I finished my first two classes of the day, and I have this wonderful quote.

Quote from: My Business Law Professor
I'm going to blow your brains out with an AK-47.

It's better without context.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »
Glad to hear it's going well. I finished my first two classes of the day, and I have this wonderful quote.

Quote from: My Business Law Professor
I'm going to blow your brains out with an AK-47.

It's better without context.

Yeah, I'd say so.  :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »
Starting my third semester on Wednesday. This year registering for classes has been hell, but everything seems to be working out which is great.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
First day of college as well, good luck everyone!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
Besides the "meet new people, try new things" advice that every new college student hears a million times, I have two pieces of advice:

1) Go to class. Seriously. It's easy to tell yourself you don't need to because you can just learn it from the book, but while that may actually be true unless you have a stellar work ethic just spending the hour or whatever it is in class will almost always be a more efficient use of your time.

2) Do everything in your power to study abroad, ideally for a full year. It's just too valuable and awesome of an opportunity to deny.

I absolutely agree with #1, one hundred percent.  I lived in the dorm and loved the freedom of not having anyone "make" me go to class.  So cool, I could sleep in, I could blow off afternoon classes if I wanted... pretty soon I was flunking half my classes.

Go to class.  Force yourself.  Some of them may be boring, some may be downright stupid, but this is a new thing and you have no experience with it, so follow the directions first.  Maybe after a year or two you'll have some idea of where you can cut corners, but don't start off doing it now.  Also, the more classes you go to, the more babes you'll run into.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
Also, the more classes you go to, the more babes you'll run into.
Depends on your major.

But yes, GO TO CLASS. If you learn material when it's first presented, you can drastically cut back on your study time. I guarantee your dormmates will basically be playing catchup by the middle of the quarter and be horribly stressed out, but if you simply go to class and pay attention, you'll be in much better shape than them.

If school comes easy to you, you might be able to cut corners for the first few freshmen classes but it will bite you in the ass later. Learn to do it right when it's easy.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
So, I had a good day! It was only orientation for my math upgrading today, then on the 4th of September is when I have my orientation for my Marketing and Management classes. Today went really well, the class sizes I have are tiny and the instructors are very nice! The campus is easy to navigate and overall its just an awesome building. I'm very excited to get started. It seems like I'll do quite well!  :tup ;D

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »
My first day has been mainly going over the course outlines and syllabi. Pretty good so far  :)
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 06:31:11 PM »
Me this morning going into class: "I'm so smart, I bought all my books used online and saved a ton of cash"  :hat

Each of my teachers five minutes into class: "for everyone who got the used book, the access key to the online HW is $50 bucks"

:facepalm: just can't win

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 06:35:39 PM »
I just have a feeling that studying and doing homework is gonna hit some kids hard. I have about 100 pages to read for Wednesday and have spent time today reading and taking notes to get it done. A lot of the other kids on the floor are still just hanging out in the lounge and not doing their homework despite saying that they have a lot of work to do.

At least I see it like that in my eyes.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen