Author Topic: College  (Read 29825 times)

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: College
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
I gave them zeros on the questions they cheated on, did not allow them to take the remedial exam and get an average of the two exams (normally, students who get below a 70 have to take another exam on the same material and get the average of the two exams), and this teat score can not be dropped.  Tough, but fair.

Well done! I would have given them a zero for the entire exam and reported them.
I am so sick of professors ignoring cheating students!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #246 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:30 PM »
The dean gave me the green light, and the AD is suspending the athletes for a few games.  The dean is out of town so I couldn't get his input.  It pretty much guarantees that they need A's from here on out just to pull a C, and it is past the withdraw deadline so that is not an option for them.  I know their coaches are going to give them hell.  There is an official record of it ßo if its a second offense for one of them then the school will send them on their merry way.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #247 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »
How did you catch them?-- if you can say at all
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #248 on: April 04, 2013, 10:37:34 PM »
Almost done, only 1 real class and then my senior design project. I'm taking Philosophy of Mind, which should be interesting.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »
At my uni, if you cheat, you get kicked out for a quarter.

Almost done, only 1 real class and then my senior design project. I'm taking Philosophy of Mind, which should be interesting.
Let me know how that goes. You're pretty much going to be talking about dualism vs. monism.

I had that class with a sloppy professor who went really slow, covering half the material in the first 8/10 weeks of the class, and then quickly rushed through everything else the last two weeks. Hopefully the same doesn't happen to you.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: April 05, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
How did you catch them?-- if you can say at all

Three virtually identical looking tests.  Same questions, just different substances / values.  When someone had numbers from someone else's test - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMOqm-wG3og#t=12s

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #251 on: April 05, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »
:lol

I caught someone the exact same way in a Calc class. Near perfect test, for the other one.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »
So I know that by this point, most of the people that I knew are gone and newer people don't know me but I'm back! Woot!

This morning, I committed to the University of Chicago--the same university as theseoafs. Yay!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
Welcome home, buddy.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
Numbers!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »
Whoa, the legend known as Numbers has returned.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
I don't even know you, dude...

I can't tell if that is a good thing. Anyways, heyo!!!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »
You probably don't know too much about me yet, but I've heard plenty of stories (good ones) about you.

Sorry if that sounds creepy. :lol
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: April 18, 2013, 05:24:11 AM »
I actually wasn't aware that there were good stories about me.

Ya learn something knew every day.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
 :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2013, 12:15:05 PM »

numbers is the Barry of DTF.  Actually, I'd say the other guy is Barry and numbers is the cool dude.

Anyone who gets the reference wins an internetz.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: April 18, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »

numbers is the Barry of DTF.  Actually, I'd say the other guy is Barry and numbers is the cool dude.

Anyone who gets the reference wins an internetz.

Big Lebowski?

Welcome back, Cole.  :tup  Don't screw it up this time.  ;)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
Numbers, you are planning to major in philosophy, right?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: April 18, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »
Big Lebowski?

I love Lebowski references, but this isn't one.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
Philosophy? Perhaps. Or political science. Depends on where my interests take me and where I am in two years.

It clearly seems as though Fiery Winds is out of his element.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »
Philosophy? Perhaps. Or political science. Depends on where my interests take me and where I am in two years.

It clearly seems as though Fiery Winds is out of his element.

I knew it probably wasn't right, hence the question mark.  The reference reminded me of this exchange from TBL:

The Dude: Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

It's a stretch, but figured it was worth a shot!  :justjen

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »
God I love that movie.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #267 on: April 18, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Went to the career fair, got a few promising leads. Also got hit up by a recruiter via email about a contract position in San Diego, so things are actually looking up on the job hunting front. Huzzah.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »
Don't do philosophy. Also, don't do political sense. Whatever keeps you away from a position of power, do that thing. On second thought, do philosophy.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #269 on: April 18, 2013, 10:33:57 PM »
My two cents: try to take a comp sci class while you're here.  It's fun and useful.

On the topic of philosophy, I'm taking a class in the department now and I'm not really enjoying it, but that's probably for circumstantial reasons (the professor isn't great).

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2013, 05:09:32 AM »
Don't do philosophy. Also, don't do political sense. Whatever keeps you away from a position of power, do that thing. On second thought, do philosophy.

I don't want a position of power; fret not. I just want to be a curmudgeony academic for my entire life. It isn't like Noam Chomsky or Slavok Zizek actually have any power. It isn't like hoards of college kids are storming the White House with copies of Failed States and The Sublime Object of Ideology. :P

My two cents: try to take a comp sci class while you're here.  It's fun and useful.

On the topic of philosophy, I'm taking a class in the department now and I'm not really enjoying it, but that's probably for circumstantial reasons (the professor isn't great).

Class? Professor? I might want to avoid it or take it just because the material is cool. What makes the professor bad?

Also, as for comp sci...dude, I struggle turning on my computer. This community taught me what a C-Drive is and that took a while. I have no idea what I'm doing here. That is why I want a job as a professor—I'll always have someone to fix my computer for me!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #271 on: April 30, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
Just finished my last final, the semester is now officially over. Going to go to graduation to see some of my friends graduate and then it's summer break! (and work...)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: April 30, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
That is why I want a job as a professor—I'll always have someone to fix my computer for me!

It's a dream as likely as being a professional athlete in one of the big four American sports, and it's a dying industry, but you're off to a great start by chosing a good school like University of Chicago. Make sure to start looking into those Research Fellowships by the beginning of your Junior year, at latest.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
Last finals tomorrow!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »
Hell, I know the goal is quixotic, but I will try my best. You are right in that going to UChicago is an excellent first step.

I forgot where I read it but graduates from top 15 doctoral programs aren't facing the professorial cutbacks as much as other universities are (or any real cutbacks for that matter). Considering UChicago is a feeder school into those programs—hell, maybe if I'm lucky I could go there for grad school—I have step one down. I understand I will need to push my self to my absolute intellectual limit, but if it pays off in the end, it is worth it.

That being said, I am not looking at UChicago as a means to an end. The school is phenomenal, the people there are smart, and I will have an amazing time and a wonderful four years. It will suck sometimes, but that is what one needs to put up with when going to college in general. I really can't wait.

Good luck in your finals Cedar!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #275 on: May 01, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
That is why I want a job as a professor—I'll always have someone to fix my computer for me!
It's a dream as likely as being a professional athlete in one of the big four American sports, and it's a dying industry, but you're off to a great start by chosing a good school like University of Chicago. Make sure to start looking into those Research Fellowships by the beginning of your Junior year, at latest.
Undergrad isn't that important for getting a professorship. Grad schools are full of students from lesser known places just as much or more than from big names, because those big names are built off of grad school and profs, not undergraduates.

I'm not sure what field you're coming from, but most undergrads do not come into grad school with research fellowships. If you're aiming at high research institutions your graduate education should be paid for, including stipend. Independent fellowships are great, you can avoid extra work, but they are not necessary.

Also, grad school is far different than undergrad, it's something hard to understand until you're knee deep into it. The drop out rates for PhD's is crazy, and I would guess most come in having dreams of being a professor. Keep your options open #'s.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #276 on: May 01, 2013, 05:48:40 PM »
Looks like numbers and I are on parallel paths.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: May 01, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
Undergrad isn't that important for getting a professorship. Grad schools are full of students from lesser known places just as much or more than from big names, because those big names are built off of grad school and profs, not undergraduates.

I'm not sure what field you're coming from, but most undergrads do not come into grad school with research fellowships. If you're aiming at high research institutions your graduate education should be paid for, including stipend. Independent fellowships are great, you can avoid extra work, but they are not necessary.

Also, grad school is far different than undergrad, it's something hard to understand until you're knee deep into it. The drop out rates for PhD's is crazy, and I would guess most come in having dreams of being a professor. Keep your options open #'s.

I studied my M.Phil on a research fellowship. I just kinda assumed most people from lesser known universities had to either be willing to drive themselves into debt for grad school, or at least be marginally talented, enough so that your professor recommends you to another professor's program. I came from a pretty bad undergrad university, but the department I was in was pretty good. But I could not have afforded grad school without a fellowship.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: May 01, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »
Looks like numbers and I are on parallel paths.

What do you want to be a professor in? And where do you go to school?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #279 on: May 01, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
Bout to graduate from UC Davis with a BA in philosophy. Then going for an MA in Philosophy at Biola University in the fall. That'll probably take 3 years, cause I heard it's difficult. But I also hear that many people in the philosophy program there go on for PhD's.