Author Topic: College  (Read 29650 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: College
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2013, 02:10:10 AM »
Lotion - I'd suggest Texas A&M over UT-Austin to be completely honest.  UT, while a good school for most things, has a bad rep here in Austin of being a party school (always has, really).  A&M, while in a smaller town, consistently ranks at the top of many lists for excelling in their mode of education (for example, their veterinary school is in the Top 10 or 20 US-wide).

While I live in Austin, I have many friends who chose to go to A&M and all have overwhelmingly stated that they didn't regret it and felt like they got the best education for their money.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #211 on: March 11, 2013, 02:32:59 AM »
Thanks for some response.

I actually thought about canada. But its too cold there, I'm already freezing here in Norway. Texas do seem nice though, but my GPA is B. So I can forget the best schools, unfortunately.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #212 on: March 11, 2013, 03:43:39 AM »
Uni is awesome today, we're doing about Amphetamines and Marijuana :)
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #213 on: March 11, 2013, 12:06:34 PM »
Faye... :rollin :tup

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »
It was pretty awesome lol. We kicked off the morning with speed, and brought it back down with cannabis... social workers constantly making 'ooh we're doing drugs on Monday' jokes. We sure know how to party..
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
Paris!

Which school are you looking into? I actually just got back to the States from studying in Paris for 1 1/2 years.  :tup

Actually, if I get into the program (still waiting for a response...) then I'll be studying at my own school -- we have a little campus in Paris.

Anyway, got my classes for this quarter:

Computer Science 23010 -- Parallel Computing
Computer Science 23500 -- Introduction to Databases
Social Sciences 12300 -- Self, Culture and Society 3
Philosophy 21590 -- Disagreement

The Comp Sci classes seem suitably interesting, and I'm pumped for this Phil class.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »
Lotion - I'd suggest Texas A&M over UT-Austin to be completely honest.  UT, while a good school for most things, has a bad rep here in Austin of being a party school (always has, really).  A&M, while in a smaller town, consistently ranks at the top of many lists for excelling in their mode of education (for example, their veterinary school is in the Top 10 or 20 US-wide).

While I live in Austin, I have many friends who chose to go to A&M and all have overwhelmingly stated that they didn't regret it and felt like they got the best education for their money.
:heart Yeah gig 'em Aggies! *Hugs Debra*

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
Starting college for welding next year. :metal

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »
Lotion, I don't know too much about the business school at University of Utah, but I do plan on going there for Pharmacy school after my undergraduate studies.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »

My buddy just did is and had three job offers before he graduated. He started at $19.50 and can do up to 12 hours of overtime a week if he chooses to do so.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
I just have one suggestion: Do not take Physics with Calculus, Calculus II and Discrete Math in the same semester. Unless you really like only thinking about numbers for every second of every day. I dream in numbers now. I think I tried to find the find the area bounded by the line formed by the Fibonacci sequence in my dream last night. I also mix up language constantly, which is annoying.

On a side note, next week is spring break for me. I'll be writing a paper for SCED 300 though. COLLEGE IS AWESOME.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
Paris!

Which school are you looking into? I actually just got back to the States from studying in Paris for 1 1/2 years.  :tup

Actually, if I get into the program (still waiting for a response...) then I'll be studying at my own school -- we have a little campus in Paris.

...Aaaaaand I just got the email! I'll be in Paris for 10 weeks in the autumn! :metal :metal :metal

Offline Ħ

« Reply #222 on: March 14, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »
:metal
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #223 on: March 14, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »
:heart Yeah gig 'em Aggies! *Hugs Debra*

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm an aberration here in Shorthorn land. :lol

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
I'm confused, is college in America the equivalent of university in England?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
You know, that's a really good question.  Not really sure though, but I do know that high school is WAY different here in the US than it is in England - the O/A levels and whatnot.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
Yeah O levels (well they are GCSE's now) are what you do in your last 2 years of high school, then college where you do A levels and then university where you do a degree, what's the equivalent of O/A levels in US then?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »
I would say O levels would probably be equivalent to a US high school diploma, would would make A levels a US bachelor's degree.  But - the bachelor's is four years of college to get.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »

It is (for the most part, there's things like community colleges and stuff which aren't quite the same). O/A levels are basically high school.

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »

It is (for the most part, there's things like community colleges and stuff which aren't quite the same). O/A levels are basically high school.

Yes.  If somebody from America says "I'm going to college", switch out "college" for "university" in your head.

Offline jonnybaxy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »
Gotcha :)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: March 15, 2013, 02:34:09 AM »
I feel like I should go back to college to be more marketable in the job search.  Because I haven't had an opportunity to apply my existing knowledge very much, it's mostly faded, and I feel severely underqualified for everything I look at.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
Do it!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
Paris!

...Aaaaaand I just got the email! I'll be in Paris for 10 weeks in the autumn! :metal :metal :metal

Congratulations and good luck man  :tup

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
So I have an accounting midterm in an hour, and in this class you need to pass the midterm to pass the class. Wish me luck guys, I'm nervous as hell  :-\
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
Good luck!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2013, 01:03:32 AM »
My final quarter:

1. French - avec une fille francaise qui est tres jolie (she has a super cute blunt cut and I am in love  :millahhhh)

2. History of Film Music - we literally watch movies and are graded for attendance and one final paper about "whatever" (his words)

3. Bioethics
4. History of Ethics
5. Foundations of Ethics

Loads of reading/writing this quarter.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:09:38 AM by Ħ »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
Question for all you younglings:

A professor catches 5 people cheating in a class.  You are not one of them because you didn't cheat.  How does this effect your opinion of the professor?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
I'm probably a little more wary of him, but ultimately I'm glad that he takes cheating seriously.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
Question for all you younglings:

A professor catches 5 people cheating in a class.  You are not one of them because you didn't cheat.  How does this effect your opinion of the professor?

What did the professor do after catching the students cheating? Just the act of catching them isn't enough to affect my opinion of the professor.

and on a side note, I don't think I've ever been in a single college class where there wasn't at least 20-25% of the class cheating and not just strait up looking at someone's paper. I also consider people that somehow steal/get a hold of back exams to be cheaters as well. They don't know/understand the material, they just memorize the back-exam. That's just as bad as looking off of someones paper, but these kids never get threatened with expulsion or disciplinary action. Its a very annoying elephant in the room, that no one ever acknowledged and its what really what made become disillusioned about college.

And for the record, yes I've exploited back exams multiple times (specifically Calc 3) and I felt pretty bad about it, and still do.

Sorry to rant.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:09:59 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »
I gave them zeros on the questions they cheated on, did not allow them to take the remedial exam and get an average of the two exams (normally, students who get below a 70 have to take another exam on the same material and get the average of the two exams), and this teat score can not be dropped.  Tough, but fair.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2013, 05:50:04 PM »
I gave them zeros on the questions they cheated on, did not allow them to take the remedial exam and get an average of the two exams (normally, students who get below a 70 have to take another exam on the same material and get the average of the two exams), and this teat score can not be dropped.  Tough, but fair.

:tup

Good man. I would have done the same.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »
Pretty light, if you ask me. Those students could be forced to go to the college's dean at some places. Tread carefully, if you violate a universities policies on the issue your neck could be at risk.

Cheating is a problem, though. Of the universities I've been at, cheating seems to be more prevalent the better the universities reputation is. Don't know why, but I guess it's a combination of more pressure and less attention given to classes by profs. ...could just be a fluke of my experience, too.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »

My buddy just did is and had three job offers before he graduated. He started at $19.50 and can do up to 12 hours of overtime a week if he chooses to do so.
Sorry I'm late, but that sounds sweet! :D I've heard lots of good stories like this. Makes me eager. :)

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »

Seems pretty light to me, honestly.  I would've just failed the bastards.