Author Topic: Does musical technicality impress you?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Does musical technicality impress you?
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »
ITT: We are looking how in how many ways we can say the same thing.
I think this is pretty valuable, because most people can't shut up about how prog fans just drool over wankery, while here you have 30-ish people who say "no, we actually don't". So even though that's old news (and quite logical, really), it's still nice to see.
Oh, you're absolutely right, I don't want to demean this, I was just playfully-teasingly taking a jab at the fact that everyone in this thread was basically saying the same thing in different words.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »
Oh, you're absolutely right, I don't want to demean this, I was just playfully-teasingly taking a jab at the fact that everyone in this thread was basically saying the same thing in different words.
I know you did, just thought it would be an appropriate time to make the point.

God we're so polite and understanding. How about some tea & scones, good sir?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
ITT: We are looking how in how many ways we can say the same thing.
I think this is pretty valuable, because most people can't shut up about how prog fans just drool over wankery, while here you have 30-ish people who say "no, we actually don't". So even though that's old news (and quite logical, really), it's still nice to see.
I think the real interesting thing is that even if most people have the same opinion, you can guarantee everyone draws the line somewhere different as to what constitutes too much focus on technical play. One person's "he's playing the shit out of that guitar, but it's still well-written and tasteful" will be someone else's "ugh, no thanks, weedly weedly weedly".

Offline Ruba

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 03:50:44 AM »
Yes, it does. IF the music just isn't any random wanking (yes Symphony X, I'm looking at you!). But I can also enjoy punk music, so techinicality isn't essential.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 04:43:22 AM »
I know you did, just thought it would be an appropriate time to make the point.

God we're so polite and understanding. How about some tea & scones, good sir?

It would be a pleasure, fair lady. :ariich:

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 05:24:31 AM »
Your tea-maid appears (me).

What tea would you like?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 08:11:36 AM »
To answer the question in the OP:

I am always impressed by a musician who has achieved a high level of technical expertise on their given instrument, or with a composer who can write a complex piece of music.  I suppose this is somewhat similar to a baseball player being impressed with another player's ability to hit home runs, or make amazing catches in the field.

There is a certain amount of effort that must be put in to achieving technical proficiency on a musical instrument.  It takes years and years of practice and hard work.  It's something to be admired.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »
Your tea-maid appears (me).

What tea would you like?

A cup of exquisite darjeeling would do quite nice, thank you James.

:splodegent:

Offline jsem

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
Does it impress me? Totally. Does it mean I'll like the music? Not at all.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »

Yup.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 12:09:17 PM »
On a superficial level, sure, but if it is not combined with good songwriting, then it is merely musical masturbation.  I am way more impressed with someone writing a well-written simple song than someone who can play fast because he sat in his bedroom practicing scales 10 hours a day for two years.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
I don't care about technicality at all.
Yeah agreed. As long as the musician can play everything they want to be able to play (as well as do it consistently live), tech skill doesn't affect me at all. Not that I can't be impressed by the level of skill some people acheive with their instruments.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
I am definitely impressed by technicality, but it really depends on how the musician uses their proficiency on any given instrument. Super technical guitar solos can be cool, but if that's all you do then it tends to get really boring, really fast. But if you can incorporate good songwriting and good melodies and whatnot, then it can really earn you a whole lot of points with me.

I do I have a sweet spot for technical drummers, specifically Deantoni Parks, who happens to be the drummer of my favorite band (go figure). But he's not just all super tight snare hits or super fast beats, he also can just absolutely tear it up on the kit whenever he wants to, but I really dig his technicality as well. He's the best drummer right now in my opinion, but that's another thread.

All in all, I think Sigz said it best:

prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
I agree with the general consensus, but I've always thought that people say that their gripe with Prog (specifically the bigger bands like DT) is the technicality, but with most bands, it's always well-placed. And a lot of bands (obviously not Tech Metal and instrumental stuff) don't really do the DT-length crazy ass solo sections and when they do them, to me, it generally works. Guys in Prog like JP, it's sort of like as much as possible has to be put in, but it's always well thought out and has to sound good. People complain about filler a lot but I've always felt that with most Progressive bands, each riff, solo, etc. served its own purpose. Every note connects beautifully, even if the connection isn't the most logical or expected, it's usually the most pleasant and awesome. Watch someone like Mick Barr, yeah it's impressive (especially with how that guy looks, holy Christ), but it's nothing but noise, even if it flows well...
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington