Author Topic: Does musical technicality impress you?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Ħ

Does musical technicality impress you?
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
One of the biggest things that turned me on to DT and metal in general was how the music was crazy technical. DT wrote songs in 9/8 or whatever with blazing fast solos (while most mainstream stuff was in 4/4 with very simple beats and riffs) - that made me a proud listener, and it fed my angsty teenage ego.

Now, all that matters is how music makes me feel. Well, it matters when some novice guitar player of a popular band wins an award over John Petrucci. That's annoying.

What are your opinions on super skillful, technical music? I reckon it is actually very important to a lot of people, given that is a huge element of prog.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:48:19 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Does musical technicality impress you?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
Yeah technicality is a huge thing for me. I listen to more technical stuff than melodic stuff (not to say I don't like melodic music as much, I certainly like it as much as technical music or more), and it will always impress me.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm impressed if an artist can make use of lots of technicality, but I wouldn't want to listen to them too much if they don't have other qualities I enjoy. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »
Technicality can be a great thing, but it can also be boring, overused, or badly utilized.  I'm going to fault someone like Gotye for not having some shredtastic solos or really complicated songs when they're so good and catchy as they are already.  I am going to fault a band like The Mars Volta for boring me to tears with endless wanking. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:25:50 PM »
Does it impress me? Totally. Does it mean I'll like the music? Not at all.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »
I don't care about technicality at all.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
My feelings exactly.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:32:25 PM »
Yup, it impresses me a lot of the time. I like hearing a musician who is a master of their craft. These types of threads always turn into a "give me a slow-as-fuck guitar player with feeling over some guy who WANKS all over the place". I'll just say I like musicians who can be technical and tasteful depending on what is called for.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:34:05 PM »
Absolutely it DOES impress me.   But that doesn't mean I'll like the song. 

I liked Yngwie early on because I liked the songwriting.   Then he kinda went all 80's rock on me and I didn't care any more.   

I have never really cared for Symphony X because in spite of their talent, I just don't think their songs are that good.

OTOH: I love stuff that's really sick and catches me off guard.    Fast guitar playing doesn't impress me as much as challenging rhythms.   Like some of that really sick stuff BTBAM does...or even Mr. Bungle or The Mars Volta.    I like it when the music becomes a 'puzzle box' that I have to solve.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
I'm impressed when they can take that technicality and apply to other areas. Being technical for the sake of technicality bores me.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »
I love technicality, but i probably prefer melody over it if i had to choose.  I love dt because they have both, Petrucci has so much feeling in his playing.  While i enjoy bands like btbam to some extent, they have tons of impressive technicality but not enough melody to make me really like them.  I love Joe Satriani because he is an incredible player but has so much soul in his playing; he can shred but play an amazing ballad too. just my 2cents

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »

A-yep.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »

This.

One of the reasons a lot of prog metal sucks is because they focus too much on technicality and not enough or not at all on melody or any kind of hook at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 09:52:26 PM »
What are your opinions on super skillful, technical music? I reckon it is actually very important to a lot of people, given that is a huge element of prog.

My opinion is very high.  Always been a fan of music that is technical.  Stuff like, Blotted Science, Watchtower, Cynic, Death, Faceless, Gordian Knot, Planet X, Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale etc. has always impressed me and I always enjoy, but, I'm a huge melodic rock/AOR fan, so there is a time and a place for everything and most of the time, I'd take the melodic rock over really technical bands like the ones above. 

Bands like DT, SX, Pagan's Mind etc. have a good middle balance of the two.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
I'll take good songwriting over technicality.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »

This for the most part. If a group is capable of writing really complex music that makes sense from a songwriting perspective than that is always a plus.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
These. I can enjoy not-full of shred songs like those from Explosions in the Sky a lot more than overcomplex songs like those from Spiral Architect.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 05:32:05 AM »

What sigz said.

I do enjoy technicality if it's balanced, but when it comes to stuff that is just fast shredding, I get really bored after the third song.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 05:34:07 AM »

This guy knows what's up.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:46 AM »
I prefer good song writing over technicality. There was a time when I loved DT for being technical, but nowadays it's not something I look for in music.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 06:11:29 AM »
Well of course everyone will take good songwriting over everything else, including technicality. I don't think there's any person in the world who would disagree. But technically complex sections are just another way of communicating what you have to say. And if the artist is good at communicating that, it will make my heart sing just as much as anything simpler.

I must say something, though, that I'm slightly aggravated any time someone talks about this, because there's always people who say simple = good, complicated = bad at all times. The number of people with such prejudices will probably not be as high on a predominantly prog forum, since some of our favorite music contains some sort of complexity but in other discussions it pisses me off to no end. If you haven't heard anything that's both good and technically complex, that's just your problem, Imaginary Man I'm Talking To. I call those people "simplicity snobs".
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:17:18 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 06:16:41 AM »
It used to impress me more than it does now, I still appreciate it but songwriting is the most important aspect to me.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 06:53:41 AM »
It impresses me as long as it is used to create something good and not just doing it for the sake of doing it. I won't argue Malmsteen is a fantastic guitar player but he bores me to death. I have the same feeling with most of ADTOE, I think they are way too technical just because they can. I think earlier DT work is great because they use their technicality to build something that is greater than their ability to play.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »
It only impresses me if they can use their technicality to play something that I like musically/melodically, but the ability of a bedroom shredder to play a generic scale at 300bpm doesn't impress me in the slightest. Having the subtlety to use their skill as necessary to enhance the songwriting is more impressive to me than just constantly playing as complex as possible. Songwriting always comes first.

Technical ability can be the icing on the cake, but there's only so much icing you can eat without actually having a cake at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 09:18:23 AM »
I do appreciate it, but not in and of itself. Only when I feel it's being utilised properly within well-written music.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21:03 AM »
As a fan of technical metal and tech death-the latter being the only death metal subgenre I really love-I obviously love technical playing, and suspect my tolerance for it is higher than the average person's. I listen to stuff that makes Dream Theater sound like they're playing in straight 4/4 using three chords.  :biggrin: Technical bands do run the risk of putting technique behind soul, even at their best, and I honestly have to be in the mood for it, or it falls flat. At the end of the day, I generally prefer music that, for lack of a better term, is more complex, but that doesn't mean I only like it, it's just a preference.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »
It used to impress me more than it does now, I still appreciate it but songwriting is the most important aspect to me.
My thoughts exactly.

EDIT: This too:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:43:19 AM by ? »

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
Not anymore. When I got into DT I was still in that "OMG Petrucci is the best guitar player in the world" and it lasted a good while, but since the last year or so I got over that and now all that matters is that I enjoy the music. I got over what my library looks like too (even if no one ever sees it) and now I can comfortably sit and listen to Sum 41's Chuck and have a blast without caring if it's "good" or "technical" music or not. I have to say I am much happier now that I got rid of these prejudices and boundaries that I was imposing on myself.

I guess I got a bit off topic, so I will sum it up with: Not anymore, I just care if I enjoy the song or not.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
My feelings exactly.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:03 AM »
Technicality only impresses me if there is some depth and substance to it. DT blends it very well and that 's why I like them. But if a band is just strait up technical wankery, then I get bored real fast.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
Yes, but not if its all the song is. Since I,listen to a wide variety of songs, the ones I enjoy are ones that use technicality well.

Technicality only impresses me if there is some depth and substance to it. DT blends it very well and that 's why I like them. But if a band is just strait up technical wankery, then I get bored real fast.

Basically this.

But I am a sucker for Polyrhythms
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »
ITT: We are looking how in how many ways we can say the same thing.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
ITT: We are looking how in how many ways we can say the same thing.
I think this is pretty valuable, because most people can't shut up about how prog fans just drool over wankery, while here you have 30-ish people who say "no, we actually don't". So even though that's old news (and quite logical, really), it's still nice to see.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
Well, if it's well placed wankery then it's pretty wizard, but yeah. Agreed.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D