Author Topic: Atlanta / Prog Power USA  (Read 580 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Atlanta / Prog Power USA
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
I'm really thinking of going to Prog Power this year since it is "only" a 5 hour drive and I don't expect to see much of anything else to come close for a while.  The trip is going to necessitate a hotel stay.  I know there is at least one Atlanta peep here.  I'm wondering about some things like:

How easy is it to drive in Atlanta (my goal is to only drive to whatever hotel I stay at and not drive again until I leave)?
How safe the area where the conert is at night?
How easy will it be to get a taxi beyond 1 AM?
Anything I should be aware of?
Anybody else going?

The concert venue is 1374 West Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA, which is just west of Ansley Park according to Google Maps.

Mods: I know I posted this in GD because even though it is in relation to Prog Power, I am looking for general Atlanta information mostly, so please don't move to GMD.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: Atlanta / Prog Power USA
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:05:16 AM »
Atlanta driving is not friendly, but if you have any experience in a city you're fine.  ...but if you're only driving to a hotel you have no issues.

The location is not in an unsafe location.  Lots of major business offices very close buy, my daughter goes to daycare only a few blocks away.  There's a Thai place with a meal cost of around $50 about two blocks away, if you want to use that to judge the expected people roaming the area.  It is a city though, protect your valuables.

Taxi's in Atlanta are by call only, it is illegal for them to do pick up people by flag down.  Plenty of the progpower goers will be using taxi.  The subway is creepy at that time, near the end of it's daily runs, but you will be very close to a station for during the day.  ...one more on taxi's, I believe there are usually a bunch outside the venue during events, I believe waiting for use.  The companies will probably looking for your business at the end from the venue calling them, you may not need to actually call.

Aware of?  Depends what you're interested in, I'm in the area almost every day.  You're walkable to numerous affordable places to eat, although they'll be packed due to the festival if you go over breaks.  The sellers room is great, you might bring something to carry purchases one day.

Anybody going?  I was going to, but my life is too occupied and so I backed out right before getting tickets.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:13:01 AM by yorost »