Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300560 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1715 on: July 31, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
^ Huge fan of the new album, I've just bought it & I'm downloading it now.  :tup

The only criticism I have it that it seems to drag on a lot in the 2nd half. I'd suggest maybe taking the best ideas from each song from the final quarter (apart from CK9) & putting it into one song so it flows better for the whole album.

Favourite tracks: That's A Nice Bike, Strange Things, Do You Remember, CK9
Wow we're super stoked you like it! Also, I appreciate the feedback. This album was extremely experimental in that we were really trying to craft a sound (as pretentious as that might sound). Also, we really wanted to cram the album as much as we could so we had a lot of material to choose from when we finally start gigging. There aren't really any plans to deliberately do that again, unless the story calls for it. Anyways, thanks so much for the support and for buying the album. It means a lot. <3
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

• EB
« Reply #1716 on: August 23, 2017, 12:22:33 AM »
Hey guys, I've got something new for ya! I just released my first instrumental solo guitar album! I wrote, arranged, recorded, and mixed everything, as well as played (and programmed) all of the instruments. My buddy (and Bloodhound bandmate, Tyler) mastered it for me. Would mean a lot if you guys would check this out as well. It's definitely not as long as the last Bloodhound album!

https://codymckenna.bandcamp.com/album/the-circle-of-wonders-i-welcome-to-the-circle
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1717 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:20 AM »
Had to let go our bassist, who replaced our former bassist in what was a total shitshow of a breakup three years ago.

Sucks, but he was one of those passive aggressive personalities. He had a strong vision of what the band should be, but he had no desire to lead us in that direction through anything other than arguments in the band group text.

• EB
« Reply #1718 on: October 22, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »
Had to let go our bassist, who replaced our former bassist in what was a total shitshow of a breakup three years ago.

Sucks, but he was one of those passive aggressive personalities. He had a strong vision of what the band should be, but he had no desire to lead us in that direction through anything other than arguments in the band group text.
Losing members is the worst. One time one of my bands had to kick out our singer. We weren't sure how to break it to him, so we looked up "ways to break up with a girl" online cause we though the situation would be similar. hahahaha. It said that doing it in a public place was a good idea so they don't make a scene, so we took him to poquito mas. Terrible idea. As we were in the middle of this conversation, they were calling our orders, so we'd be right in the middle of this intense thing - he's begging us to give him another chance (a 5th chance at this point), we're trying to explain to him why we can't do that, and then "NUMBER 21!", and one of us would be like "Oh, just a sec" and then get up to get our food, while he's just sitting there about to cry.  :lol :lol :lol
It was awful. hahaha.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1719 on: October 26, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »
Hey guys, I've got something new for ya! I just released my first instrumental solo guitar album! I wrote, arranged, recorded, and mixed everything, as well as played (and programmed) all of the instruments. My buddy (and Bloodhound bandmate, Tyler) mastered it for me. Would mean a lot if you guys would check this out as well. It's definitely not as long as the last Bloodhound album!

https://codymckenna.bandcamp.com/album/the-circle-of-wonders-i-welcome-to-the-circle

Hey I took a listen to this, and I enjoyed it. You're quite talented. I really like the expressiveness you have over your lead playing; you make the guitar sing. The way you've layered the parts is also interesting and keeps the listener engaged. You've definitely put some thought into them. There's also a great mesh of rock genres in play here, without straying too far into any one.

I would say I liked the second half of the album better and my favorite tracks would be Fragile, McFly and The Circle.

Would be interested in hearing a follow up album for sure.

Were the drums programmed? I thought so from the sound of it, but I could be wrong.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

• EB
« Reply #1720 on: October 26, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »

Hey I took a listen to this, and I enjoyed it. You're quite talented. I really like the expressiveness you have over your lead playing; you make the guitar sing. The way you've layered the parts is also interesting and keeps the listener engaged. You've definitely put some thought into them. There's also a great mesh of rock genres in play here, without straying too far into any one.

I would say I liked the second half of the album better and my favorite tracks would be Fragile, McFly and The Circle.

Would be interested in hearing a follow up album for sure.

Were the drums programmed? I thought so from the sound of it, but I could be wrong.
Hey thanks for listening! You're actually the first person ever to give me feedback on this (other than a couple of friends), so I'm super relieved it's positive. haha. Thanks so much for the kindness. And yes, the drums are programmed. It's funny, because a lot of my friends were fooled. Not you though! Good ear.  ;)

Anyways, thanks again for listening. It means a lot.

• EB
« Reply #1721 on: November 13, 2017, 12:32:26 AM »
We uploaded a new song. It's meant to be a stand alone single. It's definitely our most radio-friendly song. It relates to the concept much like the entirety of our last album did - that is, it's supposed to be a song written BY the main character instead of the normalcy of it being a song ABOUT the main character.

https://bloodhoundbandcamp.bandcamp.com/album/odyssey-single

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1722 on: December 19, 2017, 12:34:06 AM »
Got kicked from the band because I asked for weekend rehearsals, or nearer to me, since I couldn't handle physically anymore to drive through the night, picking up and dropping the singer, sleeping 3 hours before returning to work at 7am.
Had a pathetic chat with the drummer/funder, and the other two didn't even bother to send me a bye via messenger.

I wonder what I'll play next and when I'll be able to play live again, cause it's gonna miss me fast !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1723 on: December 19, 2017, 07:22:33 AM »
That sucks.  You asked for some kind of reasonable accomodations, and they kicked you out?  It sounds like you might be better off without them.  It sucks not having a band when you want to play, but being in a band shouldn't cause more pain than joy.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1724 on: December 20, 2017, 02:50:01 AM »
The drummer told me if I couldn't rehearse at his home on weekdays each week, it couldn't be possible anymore.
I can understand a part of the issue, but i've been dumped like poop and the two others just ignored me, it hurts a little, but I'm better without them.
Btw it was a mise tribute and never understood the need to rehearse every week
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1725 on: December 20, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
Yeah, that hurts.  But fuck them, obviously if they care this little about a band member, the band was not going to succeed.

Playing in bands once you get older, out of school and whatever, is really different from playing with friends in someone's garage or basement when you're growing up.  You're all friends first, or maybe someone is a friend of a friend, but you get tight personally if you weren't already, and that helps overcome a lot of other issues (like not actually being very good!)  The band is an important part of your life, but that's partly because you're young and there isn't a whole lot else in your life that could actually be important.  (School?  Ha!)

The band I'm in now was formed via Internet and word-of-mouth.  None of us in the current band knew any of the others before joining.  When we get together to rehearse, or even to play a gig, it's much more like a project team at work.  We know our jobs, we do them well, everyone wins.  But we're not tight on a personal level.  Occassionally two or three of us will meet at a bar to check out local competition, but we don't get together for dinner with our spouses, or social events or anything.  I've known our band leader for four years now, the drummer and bassist for three, and I don't know if I consider them "friends".  They're more like co-workers who I get along with really well.  We'll grab lunch together after a meeting if the timing works out, but that's about it.

Band members have come and gone over the years.  Some I'm still friends with (one anyway, the singer who originally got me into the band and was a friend first), some I would have wanted to stay friends with but they chose to cut ties, and some I was happy to see gone.  Some of the ones who I was happy to see out of the band are still Facebook friends, which is weird.

I'm not sure what my point was anymore, but what the hell, this is the chat thread.  Blab blab blab.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1726 on: December 20, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, you're obviously the voice of wisdom and it's a pleasure to have someone to talk about it.

I had several bars and pubs bands from 15 to 24 years old, that was my first tribute and I'm now 36.

I think several mistakes have been made and they are too stupid for this chat to happen with them.
The drummer waited with his classified searching for members, I met him in the end of 2015.
We worked loads of song every wednesday evening having loads of fun and I was getting home around 11pm.
Summer 2016 we meet a bassist and this guy became a friend, can play anything with some serious touch, while dancing like crazy.
Later on we get a keyboardist and average singer.
We redo the list of songs and work.
I grab the singer in town, forcing me to hurry after work and get home near 0h30, my mistake because he decided it was not possible for him to grab me because I am living farther on the road than him, Hello I'm uber.
I did this for a year and in june and july we had some live venues. I was happy because it was three loud outdoors venues with a good big crowd that appreciated the show, plus we got some money.

There we go downhill :
-we met a fantastic singer that auditionned with us, the drummer declined because the keyboardist threatened to leave if he stopped lead singing
-the bassist left the town so we got a new one that is weak technically
Summer comes and we stopped rehearsing

September I ask for a change of rehearsal times, we discuss the small possobilities and do it 3 times.
Until november the drummer asked me several time to go back to wednesday and fuck my life.
Then we rehearse with 6 new songs we all worked and we are rather happy.

The morning after I receive a mail from the drummer that kicks me because the fact I can't rehearse at night in weeks is driving him crazy and puts his family life in danger.
Then an epitaph on fb messenger, the two others don't bother to talk, and the day after I'm kicked everywhere.

On a side note, he updated his classified 10 days before the rehearsal so I'm not stupid, but the hypocrisis of making me work the songs for nothing and playing comedy is so weak of them.

I got the weekend after at the drummer's to get my stuff back, including my jamhub silent rehearsal, that he didn't miss to tell he was going to miss it and needed a solution to replace it.

I left this band as a prince, with a little money, good memories and no regret.

Without ego issue, I'll just add that I was the only current member with the technical level needed, and I which my future band will be stimulating for my playing quality and raise me up :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1727 on: December 20, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
Good for you.  Every musical experience is unique, and thus has something you can learn from.  We all grow as musicians from every gig we play, every time we jam, every time we rehearse.  They still acted pretty shitty toward you and you have every right to be pissed, but if you can walk away from this experience with a smile on your face, and a bit wiser, then you'll be fine.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1728 on: December 21, 2017, 03:47:23 AM »
Band drama is tiring. A guy in my band and one of my closest personal friends recently slept with the girl that he knew that I liked. More of a sit-com drama situation there but still just makes you tired.

• EB
« Reply #1729 on: February 26, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
First single off my upcoming solo concept album!
https://codymckenna.bandcamp.com/track/drawing-on-the-wall-part-1-single

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1730 on: April 08, 2018, 06:18:09 PM »
Wow, the Musician's Chat Thread hasn't been too chatty lately.  You guys posting original stuff, let me be the first to say that I suck and never seem to get around to checking out your stuff.  I'm sorry.  That said, let me now bore you with some of the shit I've been up to lately.

I worked up a six-part instrumental medley for Flute, Violin, Alto Saxophone, Guitar, Piano, and Organ.  Selections from "Jesus Christ Superstar" played Easter Morning at my church.  It seemed to go over really well.  We ended up with two guitars, both acoustic but one with pickup and small amp and one naked.  The music director told me what the final instrumentation would be (God knows I wouldn't have done it this way) and I worked with that.  Mostly flute and violin duet, with the occassional intrusion by the alto sax, and different combinations of guitars picking and strumming and the piano doing piano things to accompany.  The organ doesn't come in until the final eight bars, as we're pounding out the big ending.  Pretty crazy stuff.

Got a call this morning at 8:30 from Tim, the pastor's husband, asking me if I could bring my Melodica this morning (presumably for me to play, but I find it humorous that he didn't actually say that) because there's this song that Sherrie (the pastor) asked him to do in church this morning, and he thinks a Melodica would be a nice addition.  Sure, I'll bring it.  I was getting ready to leave, with choir rehearsal at 9:00 and service at 10:00.  So we ran through this song once at like 9:50, and we played it during the service.  He sang and strummed, Mijin played piano, and I played the Hooter.  Pretty fun stuff.  Mijin is our insanely beautiful/cute/hot Asian keyboard player.  Well, she's the organist and thus accompanies the choir and plays for the hymns and stuff, but also plays the piano sometimes.  Funny how I thought of her as a "keyboard player".  I guess it's all about context.

Oh yeah, we did a Taize Service on Maundy Thursday (Google is your friend) with me on the Flute, Michael on Violin, and Mijin on Piano.  Lots of free-form semi-structured music and singing.

My regular band is still practicing regularly, or at least somewhat regularly, learning new tunes, trying to be ready in case someone actually gets us a fucking gig.  We have like 60 songs now, and no gigs until September.  Yay.

Gonna do the gig for the homeless shelter again this year.  Bill the Guitarist/Vocalist is in charge again of course, at it's once again at the place I used to play at years ago.  Karen and Mike who I played with there before, and later in a regular band, and who are married in real life, will be on Lead Vocals and Bass respectively, another singer named Amy will be joining us this year (she's hot), and this time on Drums it'll be Scott who I played with years ago at the other place that I started playing at after leaving the first place.  He plays there sometimes now, too, and Amy is also from there (the first place) though she wasn't there when I was there before.  I'll be on Keyboards and Sax again.  I saw Scott playing in a band a few years ago, the band that the friend of our old lead singer was in, the same singer who joined after Karen and Mike left.  But remember, I knew Karen and Mike from before anyway.  And yes, I'm being intentionally obtuse in describing all this because I think it's funny how I'm connected to all these people in one, two, or even three degrees, and the "how" doesn't really matter.  So anyway, six people, 15 songs, three rehearsals and then we play the thing on April 27th.  That'll be fun.  Crazy set list.  Hotel California, Sweet Home Chicago, Rock Around the Clock, I'm a Believer... all over the place.  I'm looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:28:42 PM by Orbert »

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1731 on: April 09, 2018, 12:49:06 AM »
Glad to read from you, nice stories and be patient, gigs can only come !
Just beware of too much hotness around you, as it can lower hands accuracy and focus :D

I'm still bandless since november, but I have to take care of my pregnant wife, it's not a bad thing.
I play here and there and read music theory on relaxing time.
Next year will surely be busier ^^

I'll just try to do some jams with musician friends, that I wasn't able to do with the band activity.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1732 on: April 27, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
I don't really know about where to put this but...

Back in 2015, high school I went to was shut down (or actually merged to another high school but whatever). It was a great place to be, it had some emphasis on music and theatre and a lot of hugely talented people had been there. There was also a nice, welcoming and accepting athmosphere. Many people still miss the place. Anyway, when the musically oriented students heard about the merger and realized the fact our dear school wouldn't be no more, somebody came up with an idea of making a record where students would play different songs. Plenty of people liked the idea and in the spring 2015 recordings took place. The album was a real mixed bag: there was cover songs, students' own compositions, acoustic stuff, metal, pop, one child's ditty we thought was funny...

And some Dream Theater.

I was actually graduated by that point, but was friends with one guy who was a driving force behind the record. I don't actually record how it came to be, but I had probably mentioned to him that I was a fan of DT. Apparently some of the more metalhead students had came up with the idea of recording a Dream Theater song and he asked me to sing on it. I was naturally pretty stoked, getting to sing one of my favourite band´s song on a record!

The song was The Best of Times, with slightly altered lyrics. It was also shortened a little, to about 10 minutes. I was bit hesitant about the song choice at first, knowing that it was very personal and important track to MP, and really, losing our school was nowhere near close as devastating as losing a loved one. But I still decided to take part. One more thing: it was a duet. The other singer is a hugely talented female vocalist, way better than I am. And the performance of the musicians was absolutely top-notch, the guitarist nailed the solo. The guys and girl were around 18 for Pete's sake! And then there was me, with my croaky, Portnoy-esque baritone :lol. I actually sang parts of it octave lower than JLB, because my range is rather low. But it was a fun experience. And we actually played the damn thing live at school! Sadly, I suffered from cold that day and couldn't really hit the high notes. But it was great!

I don't think our version is online anywhere, but I might be able to upload it if someone wants to hear it. I might have to ask permission from the people involved first.

TL; DR: I have sang The Best of Times on a record commemorating my former high school.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1733 on: April 27, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »
I think it's awesome that you got to do that.  Any gig is a good gig.  Any chance to record a song and put it out there (whatever "out there" might mean) is a good thing.

:tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1734 on: April 28, 2018, 02:29:31 PM »
Did the gig for the homeless shelter last night, and it was a gas!  Technically a one-off gig, this was the second year in a row we've done it, but since Bill put the band together each time, who plays depends on who's available.  Bill (guitar, vocals), me (keys, sax), Mike (bass) and Karen (vocals) same as last year, Scott (drums) new this year but we've all played with him before, and Amy (vocals) who I didn't know but who has sung with everyone else before.

Then last weekend, Karen caught a nasty respiratory infection, was in bed all week, and couldn't do the gig.  Amy was promoted from background vocals to lead vocals on seven of the 15 songs, a girl named Lynn joined us on about half the songs, I added some backgrounds and the occassional lead vocals, and we did the gig anyway.

The shift in vocal responsibilities moved things around musically, which was interesting.  Bill did more singing, but he's not great at singing and playing at the same time, so a lot more fell to me, so that was fun.  Very challenging.  But we didn't cut any songs; we got through them.  "Hotel California" turned out pretty damned good, especially considering the personnel involved.  It turned out that Amy and Lynn's voices blended perfectly, and I added a third part, so the harmonies were tight.  When we got to the solo, I had my hands full with pad on the left, and a combination harpsichord/piano sound in the right, emulating all the picking/strumming stuff going on in the background.  Kinda hard to describe what I do with my fingers there, but it's a wacky combination of arpeggiating, comping, and "strumming" (rolling the chords) all at once.  Between that and the padding, and the fact that everyone was listening to the guitar anyway, the effect was nice and full, when it was only the three of us.

Four Fleetwood Mac tunes, all which Karen was supposed to sing lead on; that was a challenge.  Amy and Lynn split them up, we all sang, and it worked fine.

Got to play Superstition by Stevie Wonder.  I've always wanted to play that song, always meant to learn it, and managed to do it.  My Yamaha POS has a pretty decent Clav sound; people said it sounded great, so that's cool.

I'm still gassed about it (in case you couldn't tell).  Damn!  There's nothing like gigging, nothing like playing live music.  ♫♫♪♫!!

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1735 on: May 17, 2018, 07:12:13 AM »
So given that I haven't been round for a year, I thought I'd check back on this, glad to see the band's still going Orbert!

• EB
« Reply #1736 on: July 26, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
Next single of my upcoming solo concept album. I'm hoping the album will be done and out in the next couple of months. It would probably be done already if my there's wasn't so much crap going on at my job. But either way, here's the track. Hopefully you guys dig it.
https://codymckenna.bandcamp.com/track/come-and-see-the-show-single

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1737 on: September 05, 2018, 08:31:13 AM »
I'm currently preparing songs lists to help chosing with future band members because I'm fed up waiting for a band to join ^^
Only issue with my local ads is that I got 10 guitarists and that's it :D
One pop-punk set and one metal set, hope it will go well and rehearse soon !

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1738 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »
Singing Handel's Messiah for the first time on Saturday! I'm super stoked - such a brilliant piece of music. Tough though - not sure how worthy the Lamb will sound at the end... :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1739 on: November 07, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »
I've never sung the whole thing.  The most we've ever done with our choir are "selections" during the Christmas season.  The most we've ever done was seven pieces, plus five other pieces that were solos/duets by the featured soloists.

Honestly, I can't even imagine singing the whole thing in one performance.  My throat would be ravaged.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1740 on: November 08, 2018, 03:53:36 AM »
It's gonna be tough for sure. Especially since we're doing it twice: once on Saturday, once on Sunday.

I shall post here with details of just how ravaged my throat has become. :D

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1741 on: November 08, 2018, 05:39:06 AM »
Tough business indeed. From what I remember, the second tenors' part is throat hell. Constantly on the passage.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1742 on: November 13, 2018, 06:24:22 AM »
So I had three perfomances of Messiah on the weekend - final rehearsal and two concerts. And it was pretty tough, but more so on the feet (standing still for three hours with no breaks sucks, especially during the parts where you're not actually singing and thus don't have anything to focus on) than on the voice. Either way, it was soooo much fun, even if it was quite taxing.

Tons of goosebump-inducing moments, chief among them the fantastic arias "And who shall abide", "The people that walk in darkness" and "He was despised", just to name three. All of the soloists were fantastic and a real joy to listen to. I had to restrain myself from bopping my head along to "Why do the nations rage", what an infectious piece. Also, there was a small child that started clapping into the pause just before the final Hallelujah in "Hallelujah", which was seriously hilarious. I think none of us could keep a small grin from forming. He was so enthusiastic, it was just a pleasure to behold. And belting out that final "Amen" at the end... what a feeling.

10/10, would sing again. Definitely recommended to anyone who has the chance to be a part of a performance of this amazing piece.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1743 on: November 13, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »
They have a thing every year here in Chicago where anyone can just come down and sing The Messiah.  If you've always wanted to do it, here's your chance, that kind of thing.  Everyone brings their own copies of the book (or you can probably buy cheap copies on site), you rehearse all day, then do it that night.  Some members of our choir go every year, some do it every couple of years, depending on various factors.  I've never done it.  I couldn't stand for three hours for the performance, especially after rehearsing all day, and my throat would be wiped out, especially when it's needed for my own church choir (it always seems to be the same weekend or the weekend before our big cantata).  I'm a natural baritone, but can sing *most* tenor stuff.  I can hit an F#, and pop an occassional G, but that's about it.  I swear, Handel must've had a bad breakup with a tenor or something.  The tenor parts he writes are brutal.  But yeah, it would be a hell of a thing to do.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1744 on: November 13, 2018, 06:58:37 AM »
That sounds like a really cool project! I'd imagine that the quality would probably be nothing to write home about and it's probably more for the performers than for the audience, but it still sounds like a hell of an experience.

And yeah, I was really glad that I'm a bass and not a tenor. Some of the stuff that the tenors had to do was downright ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:31:33 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1745 on: November 13, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely a thing more for the singers than for the audience.  But it's a thing, and I'm sure it's pretty cool singing in a choir of several hundred people.  Most people who would participate I'm guessing are at least moderately talented and interested in doing it seriously, so it's not a total lack of quality or anything, and the sound must be huge.  Link, just because.

For me, it would be kind of like playing in a symphony orchestra.  A single part out of hundreds, would often not make any difference if I wasn't there, but it's a chance to be part of something huge, something bigger than you could ever do without lots of help.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1746 on: November 25, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »
Did a pretty cool church gig this morning.  I'm still kinda psyched.  About a month ago, the music director said she was thinking of having this song she'd heard played during one of the services, and asked if I'd be up for arranging it (knowing full well that I'd say Yes).  I said Yes.  Two acoustic guitars, piano, violin, flute, djembe (drum), and either two or three vocalists, depending on who we could get.  I started putting charts together, and after a few weeks we didn't have any singers, so I kinda said if we got desperate, I'd do one of the leads.  As it happens, there weren't any intrumental parts left to play; I'd managed to write myself out.  So fine, I'd probably sing one part, and Shirley the music director sang the other part.  I did a freakin' duet with a vocal music instructor.  Kinda held my own, too, from what I heard.  It was scary.  People said they liked it, liked the arrangement, so that was cool.

So anyway, that was this morning.  The ensemble was really good.  We got a nice balance, got a lot of nice compliments afterwards.  Besides the one "feature song" we opened the service with three songs, and there was the closing song as well.  Our organist played piano for all of it.  I played Melodica on the rest of the songs.  Between that and the flute and violin jumping in here and there, two guitars, drum, it was a pretty cool sound.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1747 on: November 26, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
I've been flirting with another band online.

My regular band has had numerous personnel issues, many of them health-related and the rest are the normal shit you deal with trying to keep a band together, but the bottom line is that we played exactly two gigs in 2018.  It's insane.  Our schedules are just fucking impossible.  Seven people, how often are we all going to have a Friday night or Saturday night available at the same time?  Sure, we could if we had gigs and people didn't commit to things, but apparently everyone besides me has other stuff going on and won't block out their weekends just in case we get a gig.  I guess I understand that, but since I don't have a life, I'm always up for jamming or gigging.

So anyway, our drummer JT has always said that I could be playing every weekend if I wanted.  Keyboard players are in demand.  Yeah, probably, if I really wanted to work at it.  Or maybe if I only wanted to half-ass it, I could work once a month or so.  So fine, I put together a profile on Bandmix dot com and put myself out there to test the waters.  Keyboard player looking for a band, just to jam and have fun, not to "work" regularly; I already have a job.  Music is supposed to be fun.

Less than a week, I've heard from two bands so far.  One practices on Thursday nights, which basically rules them out, since I have choir rehearsal on Thursday nights.  That one's not negotiable.  The other band sounds somewhat promising, mainly classic rock, girl singer (pretty hot, too) so I checked out their videos on YouTube and thought I'd stepped into a different dimension or something.  12 videos, and I only knew three of the songs, and had never played any of them before.  Maybe we have different definitions of "classic rock" but I was expecting to know most or all of them, and hopefully had played some of them before, so all we'd have to do was pick some and we could jam this weekend.  But this complicates things.

Also, most of the songs in the videos had a few things in common; they were mostly slower, bluesy kind of rock.  Not bad stuff, can be fun to play, but I just didn't know any of it, and it was all kinda samey.  "Crossfire" by SRV, "Stormy Monday" by Allman Brothers, and "I Put a Spell on You" by someone I can't remember (but I always think of Bette Midler's version from Hocus Pocus, which smokes).  But they do the slow, bluesy version, the version the house band was playing before the Sanderson sisters took over.

So maybe we're not a good fit after all, or maybe the song list I asked them for will have some songs on it that I know and we can jam this weekend.  We shall see.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1748 on: November 27, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
"I Put A Spell On You" is an old, old song.  Probably the most widely known popular version is by Credence Clearwater Revival, but the song predates them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1749 on: November 27, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
I'd never heard it before the movie Hocus Pocus.  I've heard it a few times since then, always the slow, bluesy version, but I still think of it as the song from that movie.  Silly me.

I've heard from two more bands looking for a keyboard player, and the one that practices on Thursdays said that they used to practice on Mondays years ago, but they switched to Thursdays a while back.  The guy couldn't remember exactly why, and it might be possible to change back to Mondays if that works better for me.  So yeah, JT was right; keyboard players are in demand.  I feel kinda bad because ultimately I will disappoint most of these people, possibly all of them.  They all think they've found a keyboard player, since I put "looking for a band" in my profile, but while I'm a musical slut (I'll jam with anyone, any time) I still have classic fear of commitment.  I'm not just going to join your band because I'm available and you need keys.  We have to jam, we have to have chemistry, I have to like you.  And if you don't have at least one hot female in your band, you will lose out to one of bands who does.  Sorry, my keys, my rules.  If I'm gonna spend time in a practice room with a bunch of people I've never met before, all other things being equal, the band with the babe is the tiebreaker.