Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 302769 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1505 on: November 02, 2016, 05:40:46 PM »
Oh, absolutely.  You're both spot-on.  There are definite downsides to the whole mixed-gender band in the first place.

Due to his 20-something years of management experience, John believes that he has the skills to keep this ship sailing, and ride out the bumps.  He's willing to put up with the downsides in order to exploit the upsides as he sees them.  And to his credit, he's mostly managed to do that, despite some serious bumps, and we do emerge stronger each time.

But yeah, sometimes it would be nice to not have all the drama.  It's not enough to make me want to quit or anything, not nearly enough, because I refuse to let it bother me.  I just want to rock.  I get to rock.  Good enough for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1506 on: November 02, 2016, 10:44:21 PM »
Orbert talking about chicks and their serious bumps.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1507 on: November 04, 2016, 07:20:01 AM »
Agreed, there are many pro and cons to a female singer, especially if it's not the way the song was sung officially.
I think the two worst cons that prevented me from having a female singer ever are :
-It's not a "guy", you've got to care a little more about her and if it goes bad she can f*ck everything up or make you live a nightmare, when a man usually just leave, or punch you
-In France, most of those cover bands are more known as "that girl's" band, rather as a band, and it's tough for musicians, some sexism backfire.

By the way, I'm far from willing to take too much space here, and read the band's story from day to day, but I thought I could talk a little about mine :)

As one of the most hardcore Dream Theater fan, I joined a drummer that wanted to make a...Muse tribute :p
The idea of a DT tribute was an absolute no for me because it would never be ready to gig, and finding a gig would be a pain here.

So, after many years playing the usual torture in pubs and some outdoors stages, I stopped gigging for some years, and last winter I felt the urge to play live music.
My only band at this moment was my family one (playing pop punk in the basement with my wife and her sister + guests), garage way :)
I answered to an ad on a music kind of craiglist and went to meet the drummer, a muse fan that dreamt for years to do a tribute.
We played together for month, weekly, over backing tracks, and became friends.

We had a tough time finding other members for many reasons, some made us wait, some singers didn't have the good voice, and then BAM! this summer we found a bassist and a piano+singer !

The bassist is always clowny and full of energy, the piano/singer is a little classical/calm music snob and is the most perfectionnist, but I think we wouldn't make a lot of progress if he wasn't. As a metal/prog snob we live in constant opposition, but are enough open minded to make that a pro, adding some magic to each other's part.
Everybody is supportive around us and it's really cool.
The only tough point about the band is that we are spread locally and we rehearse an evening a week, so I get home in the middle of the night on wednesday, I do the effort to cope with work, more.

Technically, we rehearse with headphones 3 times a month and one time in a full rehearsal studio with PA :)
We have a 11 songs first set nearly ready to gig and a second one to begin.
Hope I'll be able to share some video soon, if anyone wanna see :)

Cheers !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1508 on: November 04, 2016, 10:23:02 PM »
That sounds like a nice setup.  I've played gigs where everyone had in-ears and their own Avion mix.  Cool stuff.  Great for rehearsal, great for performance.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1509 on: November 06, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
Orbert should really have his own thread - "The Flashdrive Saga".
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:28:58 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1510 on: November 06, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »
I've actually thought about going through this thread and taking all the FlashDrive bits and consolidating them in a separate thread.  Thing is, there's also a lot of discussion, or comments in passing, so the editing/quoting effort has to be considered.  I still might.

So we got together Friday night for a short practice.  We ran through the medley start to finish a couple of times.  Got through it both times, which was good, second time was better than the first.  This Friday is the Festival Showcase.

I was the last to leave, stuck around and asked John if anything had changed since we talked last Sunday, he said No.  Oh, well Yes, actually.  Friday is the thing, then our next regularly scheduled practice is Saturday.  The rest of the band, including Jessica, gets together to check out a singer named Cheryl.  Or maybe that'll happen Sunday afternoon.  He'll let us know.

This is shitty.  No one says a thing to Anne about the impending axe falling, because we want to get through the showcase, then John's gonna talk to her I guess (or maybe not), and we're already looking for new singers.  Just like how it's done in business.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: November 06, 2016, 05:38:26 PM »
https://davidoakes.bandcamp.com

I've a new instrumental album out.

Please check dat :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1512 on: November 07, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
This is shitty.  No one says a thing to Anne about the impending axe falling, because we want to get through the showcase, then John's gonna talk to her I guess (or maybe not), and we're already looking for new singers.  Just like how it's done in business.
How else could it be done?  You have to get through the showcase, so you don't want her out of there until after that.  But it sounds like the band can't keep her.  I'm not sure what else to do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1513 on: November 07, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »
I see both sides of it.  I was in a band where they didn't want me around anymore (the singer was not a fan of me, apparently), they held auditions behind my back, then one Sunday morning, I awaken to a call from my guitar player saying the guys don't want me in the band anymore.  Out of nowhere.  Instead of discussing any issues with me like grown-ups, so that any problems could've been rectified.  Nope.  They eventually folded, as the singer had memory issues and was constantly looking at the lyrics on the floor, so at gigs, the crowd generally only ever saw the top of his head.  On the other side, in an issue like this, you kinda have to do it on the sly, to preserve gigs and momentum that you already have.  It sucks having to be on either side of it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1514 on: November 07, 2016, 11:38:06 AM »
I see both sides as well, and to answer Hef's question, there's no other way to do it.  But it's still a shitty thing to do to someone.

John's business analogy was that there's a group or person who is being eliminated, but there's this big project currently underway and they're key to getting it done, so we keep it mum.  Then once the project is complete, we cut that group or person.  We use them until we have what we want, then cut them as originally planned.

The reason why it's shitty is because this isn't just like a business situation.  We play in bands because we enjoy it; it sure as hell isn't for the money.  When a co-worker gets cut, it's either "bummer, I liked them" or "oh well, I didn't like them anyway".  Either way, there's nothing you can do about it, so no use getting all upset.  But this isn't just business; it is also personal.

I understand why it has to be the way it is, and John says he's talked to her many times about this, always in an attempt to get her to see the bigger picture (that is, put the band first) but nothing seems to have worked.  So now that it's apparently not going to improve and other members of the band are threatening to quit, it has to be done, and it has to be done now.  But it's still a shitty thing to do to someone.  Don't tell them what you know is coming, because first you need to use them for something.  There is no good solution.  This is just how it has to be, and that's the only reason I can justify this to myself.  What I can't do is not feel shitty about it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1515 on: November 07, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »
Well, obviously I'm not in your situation, but if my only connection to the person in question was the band itself, and their continued presence would jeopardize the existence of the rest of the band, I wouldn't feel shitty about it.

Of course, I have also been told that I am a hard-hearted son of a bitch, so take that into account.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1516 on: November 07, 2016, 02:23:30 PM »
My only connection is through the band, but after working with her for nearly two years, I really have come to like to her like a lot, and I do consider her a friend.  We have spent some time talking about stuff other than band things.  I also happen to know that she's in a really bad place mentally right now, having come off of a bad breakup from a guy that was no good for her (but who she loved anyway).  That's why I feel shitty about it.

This band is so weird in that it's practically corporate rock.  We were formed as the result of Internet searches, we have some say in the songs we choose, but most of us are playing a lot of songs we don't like, just because we enjoy playing.  At first, I lamented the lack of personal chemistry between band members.  We've built up quite a bit of that, which was inevitable and I looked forward to it happening, but that makes it harder to cut people, as we're doing now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1517 on: November 07, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
I didn't realize it had been two years. 

It doesn't seem like that long.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1518 on: November 07, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
Funny, I was thinking it was longer, but I was just going through this thread, and it was just about two years ago that we started hitting on her, trying to get her to leave her old boyfriend band.

At that time, we promised her that she would be the center of the show, would have final say in all song lists, and we would literally build the show around her.  I didn't think it was a good idea then to make promises we had no intention of keeping, and it's biting us now.  She may be a prima donna, but we promised her a lot more than we delivered as far as how much control she would have, and I don't blame her for being pissed about how things shook out.  John sees that as the cost of doing business.  I guess I need to remind him again that this is not just a business.  This is people.  If your job suddenly gets eliminated, you can't do shit about it, so there's no use complaining.  If a band literally courts you away from another band with promises that they never kept, then the new band cans you for whining about not getting all the things you were promised, you have a legitimate beef.  There's still no use complaining, but it's still not the same thing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1519 on: November 07, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »

John called me this evening, says there's a new wrinkle.  I can hardly wait.

I've been whining about feeling shitty about how this is all going down, with Anne and the Festival Showcase, but Larry (unlike Orbert) had the fucking balls to lay it down with John.  He does not feel good about doing this showcase with Anne and her having no idea that she's about to be chopped.  And he cannot in good conscience play the showcase with her if we don't tell her what's what.

Bravo!  I didn't have the balls to put a friend before the band, but he did, and I'm glad.  His history is not with this band, it's with Anne.

I say to John "So you're calling her tonight, right?" and he says "I already left her a voicemail."  I told him I look forward to hearing about their conversation.

You cannot make this shit up.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1520 on: November 07, 2016, 06:56:48 PM »
Can Jessica do the job for the showcase, if Anne won't do it?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1521 on: November 07, 2016, 09:36:27 PM »
Jessica isn't available that day, which is why we have Amy to fill in.  But Jessica is not a lead-vocal quality singer anyway.

It comes down to Anne doing it, knowing full well that it'll be her last appearance with us and that she's basically helping us to move on without her; or her choosing not to do it, which is well within her right.  If she doesn't do it, we don't do the showcase.  We find a new singer, work up our new guitarist, and say "Just wait 'til next year"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1522 on: November 08, 2016, 07:24:14 AM »
Ahh, okay.  Hard to keep track.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1523 on: November 08, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
Good grief.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1524 on: November 08, 2016, 07:33:39 AM »
If I were her, I definitely wouldn't do it after John's back-stabbing class-act. A voicemail? He might as well have sent a text-message. 'Hey, you're out. You still wanna do the show-case though?' There's no way I would.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1525 on: November 08, 2016, 07:45:14 AM »
No, I think he means John left her a voicemail to call him, so that he could discuss it with her.  He didn't fire her via voicemail, I don't think.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1526 on: November 08, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
I also didn't remember that she had been promised the moon to join your band.

That's a horse of a different color.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1527 on: November 08, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
No, I think he means John left her a voicemail to call him, so that he could discuss it with her.  He didn't fire her via voicemail, I don't think.

I must have misunderstood than. In any case, also to reply to Hef, the whole situation as far as Orbert portrays it, is rather shitty. Being promised the moon has nothing to do with it. As soon as you join a band, it's not unreasonable to assume you're being treated fairly and your input is weighed in as well. Discussing stuff behind someone's back is never fun to do, and often not the 'best' way to keep everyone happy. If she does retaliate, she has all the right to (and it would be understandable).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1528 on: November 08, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »
Yeah, John's voicemail to Anne was for her to call him back as soon as she got a chance.  That's it.  As of 8:00 this morning, she hadn't called him back yet.  He didn't fire her via voicemail.

I received a text from John about an hour ago.  She called him back.  He told her, she's bummed, she'll go through a few more emotions in the next 24 hours and be a wreck at work (kinda dumb idea calling back from work, but whatever).  Then she texted him 20 minutes later and said she wouldn't be doing the showcase on Friday.

As for "back-stabbing" and doing stuff behind her back, it's all a matter of perspective.  John is a communicator.  He talks to each of us individually, he sends texts to the group, he sends emails to the group, or to the subset of the group which seems relevant.  As much as possible, he tries to insulate the rest of the band from issues any given individual might be having.  This can be good or bad.  If there are problems and they get dealt with and I never even knew about them, I'm fine with that.  But the deal with Jerry getting to the point where he's ready to quit, while I had no idea, was an interesting example of how it might be better to let others in on things sometimes.  But what's he gonna say?  "By the way, Jerry is thinking of quitting, he's so tired of Anne's crap."  And before John could do that, Jerry himself let it fly at a band meeting.

After dealing with Anne all summer and trying to get her to put the band first, to try to work with others instead of always saying "I want this" and "I don't like that" and finally having it lead to one member leaving and another threatening to leave, John made the decision to start looking for a replacement.  It's his band and as far as I'm concerned, that's his decision to make.  He assures me that if I knew all the shit he's been through with her, all the back and forth, all the whining he's gotten and the pleading he's done in vain, I would feel differently.  Well, okay, I'll have to take his word for that.  Anyway, because he didn't want to make a decision this critical without input from the others, he contacted me, Jerry, and JT separately.  Jerry and JT were on board.  I took a little more convincing, but I'm on board.  It wasn't a "secret vote" or a great conspiracy against her, though I can see how it looks like that.  It was to see if he has a consensus, and he does.  Larry was approached a bit differently.  He's a member of the band, but hasn't actually started working with us yet.  He was okay with the decision, though a bit bummed because it was Anne who brought him in.  But he didn't like the idea of doing the showcase with her and her not knowing what was coming while the rest of us all did.  That's fair, and that's why he insisted that Anne be brought up to speed.

So John had to tell her, and hope that she'd be willing to do the showcase anyway.  She has chosen not to.

This weekend, time and date to be announced, we start looking at new lead singers.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: November 08, 2016, 11:38:22 AM »
Aw, that sucks (the no show-case gig thing). But I guess you guys were in the situation where no matter what you do, the consequences would suck. Hopefully you'll find a new awesome lead singer.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1530 on: November 09, 2016, 04:27:48 AM »
Orbert's band stories are my favorite soap opera by far! :corn

I've been though some of that stuff myself and I hated it every time. Especially when the music was awesome but eventually suffered from dealing with people problems all the time until the inevitable yet nonetheless painful end.

Your patience is admirable. I would probably have left long ago.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1531 on: November 09, 2016, 07:07:38 AM »
There have been a few times when I've considered quitting.  But the band still gives me more than it takes.  I like learning new songs, and I like playing the old songs.  I like rocking and rolling.  If I quit this band, I would not be rocking.  If I sought out another band, it would be a while before I was nearly as comfortable with them as I am with FlashDrive because I've been with FlashDrive since before the beginning.  I helped build this band.  I designed the logo and run the band's Facebook page (which admittedly could be a little better but what the fuck).

It's too easy to just quit when things aren't going well, especially things we're only doing for the fun of it.  If or when it reaches the point where it's just no fun any more, or not worth the hassle, I'll probably stop.  But I'm willing to deal with the shit for the payoff of getting to be a weekend rock star.

And despite all of the shit we've been through, including numerous personnel changes, we emerge better every time.  Anne is a better singer than Karen.  Larry is a better guitarist than Pat, who was better than Steve, who was better than Rick.  JT is a better drummer than Terry.  The only one I'm not quite positive about is Jerry over Tony on bass.  As far as playing and singing, Tony was probably better.  But he also missed practices because of other commitments and eventually had to leave the band because his baseball league was starting up and they practice every Saturday.  He knew the band practiced every other Saturday when he took the job.  I'll give Jerry the edge because having a better player who's never there doesn't help anyone.  Jerry is very good, certainly good enough for our level, and I don't believe he's ever missed a practice, nor have we had to cancel or reschedule one because he couldn't make it.

Our gigs keep getting bigger and better, and we as a band keep getting better.  That's good enough for me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1532 on: November 09, 2016, 10:21:04 AM »

Very nice stuff. Low Tide and 2000 Miles Away were favorites.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: November 09, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »

Very nice stuff. Low Tide and 2000 Miles Away were favorites.

Thank you. I worked on it for a long time. Track 11 is my fave as It came from being scrapped and re-written about 3 times. Then the final time it all came together.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1534 on: November 09, 2016, 12:43:09 PM »
The other shoe drops.  Larry has left the band.

Larry was brought in by Anne, and seemed to fit very well with us in terms of personality and of course musical background.  John talked with him before the official decision to cut Anne, and Larry indicated that he would stay in the band even if Anne was cut.  At his "suggestion" Anne was informed of her impending fate prior to the showcase, and she has chosen not to do the showcase, which surprised no one.  Larry quitting, I must say, is not really a surprise, just disappointing.  Because he said he'd stay even if Anne was cut, my only conclusion is that it wasn't just the cutting; it was the way it was done.

Texts have gone around.  JT asked if it's time to call Jimmy.  I ask who Jimmy is.  Jimmy is a male singer.  Goes against John's "vision" for the band, we're already looking at a singer this weekend, and in context I assumed he was a guitarist.  Maybe Jimmy Page is looking for a new gig.  You never know.

So once again, I feel like I have no fucking idea what's going on.  But I'm still not ready to quit.  I'll stick with it and rock when I can, because the current option is to not rock at all.  Finding a new band would be a pain in the ass.  Jerry hasn't weighed in yet.  If Jerry quits (less likely now that Anne is officially out but potentially more likely because Larry is now also gone and we're again looking at rebuilding for a few months, minimum) then there's a good chance that the band will just fold.  When John called me the other night to talk about things, he briefly mentioned the possibility of the ending of the band, so it's crossed his mind as well.

In a way, it would be a relief.  An end to all the drama and frustration.  If that happened, I'd probably see about maybe finding another band.  I still won't be the one to quit and do that, though.  I don't see any upside to quitting a known quantity to take your chances on an unknown, not in this biz.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1535 on: November 09, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »
Damn, it just never ends, does it?
I hope this thread gets archived, or you compile all of the updates in this thread into one complete story.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1536 on: November 10, 2016, 10:57:15 AM »
I swear to God, musicians know how to bring the fucking drama.  There's some outright meows on the scene around here and people that I've committed myself to never working with.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1537 on: November 11, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »
Now if you download the EP (which you can do for free by just inputing $0 in the price section), you will get the 20 page short story (which ties into a book that I'm writing) detailing the storyline that the lyrics tell.

If you like prog rock, blues rock, hard rock... give it a shot. And remember, it's conceptual, so listen to it from start to finish like you would a DT concept album.

https://bloodhoundbandcamp.bandcamp.com/album/poet-ep
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1538 on: November 13, 2016, 06:00:12 PM »

FlashDrive is officially in a rebuilding season.  I tossed that term out there yesterday and got nods all around.  Wait, let me back up.

The Festival Showcase was Friday.  The band did not play, but that turned out to be maybe a better thing after all.  Last Saturday after practice, we sat and stuffed press kits, 50 of them.  Nice shiny black folder, logo (custom decal) on the front.  Open it up, 8x10 glossy of the band on the left side, song list and cover letter on the right.  Pretty slick-looking package.  John called them this week and turned the $100 audition fee into a booth fee, a kiosk with electricity.  He sat there all day Friday with the kits and a laptop playing video of FlashDrive playing live, ready to fellate prospective clients.  Good stuff.

Friday I had the day off, so I was being a bum at home and decided Oh yeah, I should revoke Anne's Editor privs on the band's Facebook page.  While I was in there, I took the opportunity to clean up some things, standardize Album Titles, add Descriptions to pictures, make sure everything looks nice if/when prospective talent folks go there for a look.  One of the pictures from our last gig is JT and Amy.  Amy is the girl who was going to fill in for Jessica as backup singer, since Jessica is a teacher and couldn't just take the day off.  Anne had added most of the pictures in the last two albums, but didn't add Descriptions, so I added them.  Mostly serious, some silly.  It was easy to tag Amy because we became Facebook Friends this week, yay.

I get a Facebook message from Amy, thanking me for the tag.  She remembered that picture being taken, but didn't get a copy.  By the way, her and JT have had a falling out and she doesn't think they'll be friends any more.  Um, okay.  So she removed the tag but downloaded the picture.  Then it occurs to me that Amy was really only brought in to fill in this one gig, Anne took her under her wing, we didn't do the gig, Anne is gone, her only connection to the band was JT, and I wonder if anyone actually told her that we weren't doing the gig.

Turns out Amy called Anne to talk about practicing one more time this week, and Anne told her the gig was off.  John assumed JT would tell her, JT saw the group email saying that we weren't doing it, but didn't notice that Amy wasn't on the To: list (it was just regular band members) and thought she knew.  Meanwhile, she found out from Anne, who was already pissed about being let go and had quickly become best friends forever with Amy so Amy called JT and says What the fuck, you didn't even tell me? and JT has no idea what she's talking about so they get into an argument and let's just say JT isn't fucking Amy anymore.  Too bad, she was cute.  Amy and JT aren't Facebook Friends anymore, but she and I still are.

Also, Anne unFriended Jerry and JT, but not me, and I can't believe I'm relating Friending and unFriending drama like it's the 90's and we're in high school but that's just how ridiculous this all is.  Bring on the fucking drama.  Jerry sends a text to me, JT, and John just laughing about the fact that Anne has unFriended him ("Good riddance!") but wondering why.  I said it's because she traces her exit from the band back to his comments at the round table, about him being 50-50 on quitting the band because of all the drama, and she knows she brings the drama, so it's "his fault".  Ah, wisdom!

John's email is just to me, JT, Jerry, and Jessica, the only people still officially in the band.  I'm the only one left whose name doesn't start with J.  It states that Anne is officially out of the band, and that Larry has left as well.  Larry was on his third strike with him (John) anyway, so John didn't actually try that hard to keep him.  So the search is now on for a new lead guitarist as well as a singer.  John goes on to question his leadership of the band, and now understands why many band leaders prefer a more Authoritarian model than the more Democratic model he's been using.  He does not say so, but he seems to be looking for feedback.

So I give him some.  First, I ask for clarification on Larry's "three strikes".  Then I go on to say that I actually like the way the band has been led thus far.  No leadership model is perfect for all situations; it depends heavily on the individuals involved.  If someone's not good with the way the band is run, they're not a good fit for the band, and that's going to be true of any model.  The band has been through some serious setbacks recently, the lows which always seem to follow the highs, and it's natural and expected for him to reexamine things, but I'm telling him that things couldn't really have gone any other way.  Anne was consistently putting herself ahead of the band, and was practically the definition of "not a good fit".  But we've replaced band members before.  I'm still in.

He thanks me for the "calming words".  Larry's three strikes were: 1 Telling John that he was okay waiting until after the showcase to tell Anne and otherwise deal with band personnel issues.  The personnel issues are separate from the gigs we have to play. 2 Turning around and insisting that Anne be told, or he's not going to play the showcase.  But don't worry, he's not quitting the band or anything; he just thinks it's not cool using Anne like this.  3 Quitting the band anyway after Anne says she's not doing the showcase.

Saturday (yesterday) I get there, ready to audition a new lead singer named Cheryl.  Her Soundcloud is good.  She's also pretty, but it's just a head shot.  She sings Jazz, but that's just her Soundcloud profile.  She sang in Rock and Roll bands for eight years out in Colorado.  Okay.

I get there, and Jerry is already there.  I ask him point blank: Are you still in?  He's like What?  The band, Are you still in?  He's like Yeah, of course I'm still in!  JT shows up, and I ask him: Are you still in? and he's like Fuck yeah, I'm still in!

Wait, this stack of promo packs that we stuffed last week, it looks like most of them are still here.  John fills us in on the showcase thing Friday.  It was "a learning experience".  Promoted as a showcase to 40 or 50 local vendors, representatives from three counties, folks looking to sign bands to their local events and bands looking to play them, John says there were maybe 12 or 15 vendors there all day.  It wasn't a continuous crowd, lots of folks all checking out the local talent.  There were two or three people there at a time, at the most, they'd listen to a few bands and leave, and sometimes they'd go a while with no vendors actually there.  The first band, right at 9:00, played to an empty room.  No one was there yet.  They just kinda wandered in and out all day.  John handed out 15 packets altogether, but probably only 12 to vendors.  The other three went to other bands.  They were wandering around, too, and saw our kits and went "Whoa, can I take one?"  So now they know how to make a professional-looking press kit.  So anyway, if we'd played, it would've been for the maybe one or two reps there at the time.  This way, 12 vendors out there have our info.  The band that they sign will not be the same people as in the picture, but so what?  We show and play, we have a new singer, or a new guitarist.  It happens.

Cheryl is just going to audition with the four of us, the "core" of the band.  We have just established that we are in fact the core and are all still in, and we've replaced singers and guitarists before, and what the hell else are we gonna do on weekends?  And we're all here, and we all sit down for a second and have some snacks (John always has snacks and drinks; he's an excellent host) and reassure ourselves and each other that we're the core of the band and we're all still in.  We ponder whether being "the core" means that the new guitarist and new singer will not by definition be part of "the core".  That depends.  Pat never felt like he tried to fit in.  Larry seemed like he would have, everything seemed so cool, but then he went psycho on us the same way Anne did.  So you never know.

Cheryl arrives, along with her husband Neal.  She hopes it's okay that he came along (of course it is) and she jokes that you never know, she thought she was auditioning for a band, but she might have been driving out to some house to get gang-raped or something.  Neal is maybe 5'7" with glasses and kinda nerdy-looking, and he immediately points out that he would have been no help at all if this had turned out to be the case.  Okay, so these two have a wacky sense of humor and don't feel the need to hold back.

Cheryl sings pretty well.  We go through four songs, "What's Up?" by 4 Non Blondes, "Higher Ground" by a cross between Stevie Wonder and Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar, and "Some Kind of Wonderful" not by Grand Funk Railroad, but Joss Stone's version.  We've never heard her version.  Jerry has never heard of Joss Stone.  Loser.  The rest of us have.  John plugs Cheryl's iPhone into the board and we listen to it.  It's funky, cool, and does not suck.  So we try that version.  She's like What, do you know this version? and we're like No but we just listened to it so let's try it and she seems impressed but hey, we are professional musicians here, baby.

So we rocked it.  We couldn't remember how to get to the ending thing, so it kinda crashed at the end, but we did it, a funky, cool version we'd never even heard before.

Cheryl and Neal leave, just the core four of us again.  Thoughts?  Decent singer, a bit thin in the upper range, though.  Alto, not a Soprano.  Anne was stronger in the upper range, so it didn't matter so much that Jessica wasn't, but we don't know how it'll work with Jessica and Cheryl.  They might be able to support each other, or they might suffer because neither are really that strong up there.

JT points out an uncomfortable truth.  This is show business, and talent definitely matters, but image also matters.  Cheryl is pretty, but she's not tall, and nearly as wide as she is tall.  She's like, round.  You can get away with mediocre looks if you have massive talent and presence.  You can get away with mediocre talent if you're hot and have great presence.  You can even get away with lousy stage presence if you're hot and talented.  But you have to have at least two of the three.  She was a decent singer, had no presence, and is not strong in the "image" department.  Hmm.  John says, Well, we keep her in mind and we keep looking.  Somewhere in here, I threw out my line about this being a rebuilding season.

In sports, a team occasionally has a period where it's a given that they're not realistically even thinking about the pennant.  They've lost some key guys and/or have a lot of new talent coming up and in need of seasoning, etc.  With us, it always seems to be winters.  Two years ago, we'd lost Karen and Mike, and had to replace a singer and a bassist, then we had to build up enough songs to play gigs.  We rebuilt over spring and summer, and by fall we played out for actual money.  Then Steve quit.  We got Pat in and by spring we were gigging again.  We gigged all summer, had some fun, played a major local venue, then lost both Pat and Anne.  Larry never even played a gig with us, so fuck him.  We got the holidays coming up again, I'm always busy with other musical things this time of year, and there's no gigs anyway, so whatever.  We rebuild, and keep on rocking, because what's the alternative?  Not rocking?  Sorry, but that's just not an option.  We must rock!

FlashDrive updates will likely be lesser over the upcoming months, as we enter the off-season and audition folks.  Hopefully, we'll be back to a full lineup and gigging again before too long.  I might take the time to create a separate thread for all these band updates, because in terms of total content, there's a fuckton of it and I feel like it dominates this thread too much.  I know some of you guys are fine with that, but hey, you can follow the updates in the new thread, too, and this way guys like Kotowboy and TheLordOfTheStrings and their projects don't get bombed out by me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1539 on: November 23, 2016, 07:11:29 AM »
For those who haven't seen it, I've created a separate thread here which consolidates all the band updates.  I included most of the comments at first, because it seemed appropriate, and sometimes other discussion would be sparked which didn't really directly relate to the band, so I had to make some on-the-fly decisions about what to include.  At one point, I'd included an entire discussion which didn't end up being as closely related as I'd thought, so I edited everything.  I wasn't very consistent about where I drew the line either, and got a bit ruthless towards the end when it became obvious how much content there was.  Also, I wasn't always sober when I did all this, so there could easily be some mess-ups.  I don't feel like going back through the whole thing to check, not yet anyway.

But my band seems to be continuing, so I'll be posting updates there.