Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300708 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1400 on: June 28, 2016, 11:58:13 AM »
Yeah.

But, my wife's whole family lives in Mount Airy, so we will certainly be back for visits.  Maybe we can "sit in" from time to time with the old gang.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1401 on: June 28, 2016, 09:00:43 PM »
Our summer concert was tonight and I conducted 3 songs... and halfway through the last song I conducted my music started to blow away. THAT was fun... I was up there holding the music down with one hand and conducting the end of the piece with my other hand and the choir was trying really hard not to laugh... they were singing "Children will Listen" from Into the Woods... which is NOT a light-hearted song in the least.

Other than that, it went really well, I love conducting so much
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1402 on: June 28, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
Sounds awesome!

Hopefully not a stupid or condescending question, but with only half a song to go, could you have just "winged it"?  You know the the music, you know the parts.  How important was it to actually have the score in front of you?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1403 on: June 29, 2016, 06:12:25 PM »
Sounds awesome!

Hopefully not a stupid or condescending question, but with only half a song to go, could you have just "winged it"?  You know the the music, you know the parts.  How important was it to actually have the score in front of you?

It wasn't, but I didn't want the rest of the music to blow away

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1404 on: June 30, 2016, 12:23:41 AM »
Figure I might as well just come back and immediately start promo-ing myself. (I'm shameless)... Here's a song from the album I'm currently working on - greek folk-inspired ambient... https://heliosgr.bandcamp.com/track/as-the-stars-drift-by

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1405 on: June 30, 2016, 07:44:57 AM »
Sounds awesome!

It wasn't, but I didn't want the rest of the music to blow away

♫♫ Let it go!  Let it go! ♪♫

Sorry

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1406 on: June 30, 2016, 07:51:52 AM »
Figure I might as well just come back and immediately start promo-ing myself. (I'm shameless)... Here's a song from the album I'm currently working on - greek folk-inspired ambient... https://heliosgr.bandcamp.com/track/as-the-stars-drift-by
It's very relaxing and peacefull! I don't really listen to ambient music very often so I can't compare it very well but I like it :azn: It could perhaps do with a little more variation? Or perhaps that would ruin the peacefull feeling...
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

« Reply #1407 on: June 30, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
It's very relaxing and peacefull! I don't really listen to ambient music very often so I can't compare it very well but I like it :azn: It could perhaps do with a little more variation? Or perhaps that would ruin the peacefull feeling...

Thanks! Yeah, I think the repetitive theme is consistent across a lot of ambient. Some of the songs I'm working on are a lot more "proggy" for lack of a better word, although I do tend to reserve the not-ambient stuff for the ol' band, rather than any solo works.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1408 on: July 20, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »
That's nice. I also listened to the new track, "Waves". I'll pay attention next month when your album is released. Are you uploading it to Bandcamp, or will it be released just in CD in Greece?

« Reply #1409 on: July 21, 2016, 02:31:42 PM »
That's nice. I also listened to the new track, "Waves". I'll pay attention next month when your album is released. Are you uploading it to Bandcamp, or will it be released just in CD in Greece?
Thank you very much! I'm not actually in Greece anymore, I'm currently based in the UK. The album will be on BandCamp and SoundCloud. I'm thinking of doing limited run CD-Rs, as I have done with some of my old releases.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1410 on: July 21, 2016, 04:59:21 PM »
Thank you very much! I'm not actually in Greece anymore, I'm currently based in the UK. The album will be on BandCamp and SoundCloud. I'm thinking of doing limited run CD-Rs, as I have done with some of my old releases.
May I ask why you left Greece? I visited Athens in 2014 and I love the music, the weather (it was Winter, but actually pretty warm weather) and the food (soublakia and salads :) ). Although, maybe you left for economic/personal reasons?

« Reply #1411 on: July 22, 2016, 03:34:41 AM »
May I ask why you left Greece? I visited Athens in 2014 and I love the music, the weather (it was Winter, but actually pretty warm weather) and the food (soublakia and salads :) ). Although, maybe you left for economic/personal reasons?
Personal reasons :) I'm going back for a few weeks this August, however, I still love the place.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1412 on: July 24, 2016, 04:17:25 PM »

Remember how I said I still love the outdoor gigs the best?  Man, I was starting to seriously reconsider that last night.

A private gig, backyard party for which we were each paid $100.  Six piece band, do the math; these people have a little money.  97 degrees out, no breeze, and threat of storms coming later.  We get there and yeah, it's big backyard.  A bunch of 8x4 plywood sheets laid on the ground is our "stage", covered by a big tent, roomy enough, but with the back and sides down, no air.  Step 1, before setting anything up, get those back and side curtains up.  Ah, a little bit of air at least, though there was still virtually no breeze.

Deck on the back of the house has steps coming down into the yard and also connects over to the deck surrounding the pool off to the right.  Really one big deck, actually.  Little kids' play area with some climbers past that.  Tables and chairs, most under tents, some out in the open, more or less in front of us and to the left.

These folks throw a big backyard party every summer and invite all the neighbors, so there were maybe 30 or 40 people when we got there, with more arriving as time went on.  Probably 100 or so total, with people coming and going.  This year's party is extra special, because their daughter graduated from high school, so it's also a graduation party for her.  This is good to know because there are half a dozen very pretty young ladies in tiny little dresses and other things you wear when it's 97 degrees out, and since they're the grad and her friends, they're all 18 (or close enough) so it's okay to look.  (It would have been impossible not to, but it's good to know it's okay.)

Three sets, 70-75 minutes each, so four hours with breaks.  Somehow we survived the first set, during which it was hot as fuck.  That's the only way to describe it.  I survived by doing the same thing I do at every gig, which is stand in my corner with my 20-inch fan leaning on an amp up at me while I play and watch the babes.  You know how 18-year-olds sometimes look like they're still in junior high, but sometimes like they could pass for 25?  This one brunette was absolutely stunning, the "looks much older" type not just in looks but in the way she carried herself, clearly the leader of this little group.  Of course, it turns out that she's the guest of honor.  Also a 4.0 honor student and a very nice young lady overall.

Her favorite band is Twenty One Pilots, so we learned and played "House of Gold" just for her, and opened the second set with it.  It was also the birthday of Joe, one of the neighbors, and another neighbor also named Joe had his birthday this week, so we played "Birthday" by The Beatles next, continuing the "hey let's celebrate things" theme, which seemed to raise spirits a bit.  People seemed to like us, but it was hot as fuck, so not much dancing or anything.  Mostly people sitting under tents drinking and trying to have a good time.  By the end of the second set, the sun was down and it was starting to cool off a little, so that helped.

Second break, we're all checking the radar on our phones and stuff, and the storms which were forecast are definitely on their way, though it looks like they might veer north.  Clouds roll in, and suddenly the air temperature drops and the wind comes up, both very noticeably.  The storm front is here.  We're either going to suddenly get wet, or we're just going to enjoy the breeze and the fact that it's now only about 80 degrees out, which is still kinda warm but feels heavenly compared to five minutes ago.

It did not rain.  The third set was amazing.  Cooler now and with a breeze, people were up and dancing.  People were eating, and all that drinking they were doing earlier to try and stay cool was hitting them pretty good.  The place completely came to life.  In a far corner, some guys were doing bong hits.  And at some point, the graduate and her friends decided it was time to hit the pool.  Remember how the deck to the pool is just off to my right, maybe 20 feet away?  These are times when you know that there is a God.  I have seen proof!  I mean, go ahead and use your imagination, but it will not exceed what passed before my eyes, many times in fact.

So another rough start, but by the end, again, I'm thinking yeah, I still love outdoor gigs the best.  :xbones

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1413 on: July 24, 2016, 11:45:01 PM »
Got an email yesterday... The guy who is in charge of the GG band wants to start things up again but only if everyone is all in. 3/5 including myself have said yeah. Waiting on the other two but man that would be fun.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1414 on: July 25, 2016, 07:43:59 AM »
That would be awesome if Gende's Giant could get back together.  You guys have been on hiatus for too long.  Bands capable of playing that level of music have a moral obligation to be out there playing it for the unwashed masses.  I'm pretty sure that's true because I read it somewhere.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1415 on: July 28, 2016, 04:43:45 PM »
That would be awesome if Gende's Giant could get back together.  You guys have been on hiatus for too long.  Bands capable of playing that level of music have a moral obligation to be out there playing it for the unwashed masses.  I'm pretty sure that's true because I read it somewhere.

It may still happen, but the guitarist doesn't really play anymore and doesn't want to commit to anything... we may still do a jam in the future, but I'm not super optimistic. Now that may change, but I don't know.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1416 on: July 28, 2016, 05:58:47 PM »
Get Gary Green.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1417 on: August 03, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »

Remember how I said I still love the outdoor gigs the best?  Man, I was starting to seriously reconsider that last night.

A private gig, backyard party for which we were each paid $100.  Six piece band, do the math; these people have a little money.  97 degrees out, no breeze, and threat of storms coming later.  We get there and yeah, it's big backyard.  A bunch of 8x4 plywood sheets laid on the ground is our "stage", covered by a big tent, roomy enough, but with the back and sides down, no air.  Step 1, before setting anything up, get those back and side curtains up.  Ah, a little bit of air at least, though there was still virtually no breeze.

Deck on the back of the house has steps coming down into the yard and also connects over to the deck surrounding the pool off to the right.  Really one big deck, actually.  Little kids' play area with some climbers past that.  Tables and chairs, most under tents, some out in the open, more or less in front of us and to the left.

These folks throw a big backyard party every summer and invite all the neighbors, so there were maybe 30 or 40 people when we got there, with more arriving as time went on.  Probably 100 or so total, with people coming and going.  This year's party is extra special, because their daughter graduated from high school, so it's also a graduation party for her.  This is good to know because there are half a dozen very pretty young ladies in tiny little dresses and other things you wear when it's 97 degrees out, and since they're the grad and her friends, they're all 18 (or close enough) so it's okay to look.  (It would have been impossible not to, but it's good to know it's okay.)

Three sets, 70-75 minutes each, so four hours with breaks.  Somehow we survived the first set, during which it was hot as fuck.  That's the only way to describe it.  I survived by doing the same thing I do at every gig, which is stand in my corner with my 20-inch fan leaning on an amp up at me while I play and watch the babes.  You know how 18-year-olds sometimes look like they're still in junior high, but sometimes like they could pass for 25?  This one brunette was absolutely stunning, the "looks much older" type not just in looks but in the way she carried herself, clearly the leader of this little group.  Of course, it turns out that she's the guest of honor.  Also a 4.0 honor student and a very nice young lady overall.

Her favorite band is Twenty One Pilots, so we learned and played "House of Gold" just for her, and opened the second set with it.  It was also the birthday of Joe, one of the neighbors, and another neighbor also named Joe had his birthday this week, so we played "Birthday" by The Beatles next, continuing the "hey let's celebrate things" theme, which seemed to raise spirits a bit.  People seemed to like us, but it was hot as fuck, so not much dancing or anything.  Mostly people sitting under tents drinking and trying to have a good time.  By the end of the second set, the sun was down and it was starting to cool off a little, so that helped.

Second break, we're all checking the radar on our phones and stuff, and the storms which were forecast are definitely on their way, though it looks like they might veer north.  Clouds roll in, and suddenly the air temperature drops and the wind comes up, both very noticeably.  The storm front is here.  We're either going to suddenly get wet, or we're just going to enjoy the breeze and the fact that it's now only about 80 degrees out, which is still kinda warm but feels heavenly compared to five minutes ago.

It did not rain.  The third set was amazing.  Cooler now and with a breeze, people were up and dancing.  People were eating, and all that drinking they were doing earlier to try and stay cool was hitting them pretty good.  The place completely came to life.  In a far corner, some guys were doing bong hits.  And at some point, the graduate and her friends decided it was time to hit the pool.  Remember how the deck to the pool is just off to my right, maybe 20 feet away?  These are times when you know that there is a God.  I have seen proof!  I mean, go ahead and use your imagination, but it will not exceed what passed before my eyes, many times in fact.

So another rough start, but by the end, again, I'm thinking yeah, I still love outdoor gigs the best.  :xbones
I love you.

BTW, my 13-year old daughter's favorite band is also Twenty-One Pilots.  I am glad that she has a band to be really excited about (like I have been about other bands), but I wish it was one that I liked better lol (although I actually like their new song "Heathen" from the Suicide Squad film).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1418 on: August 03, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »
I've only heard the one song, "House of Gold", but I guess it's alright.  Mostly uke and voice, so we did a special thing where John's son played the uke and Anne's son sang it.  Keys, then drums and bass come in later.  The grad loved it.

One of her friends came up to me later and said "I'm your number one fan!"  I told her I was glad to hear that.  High five.  I'm Bob, by the way.  She said "Oh, okay" and turned and walked away.  Some fan.  Didn't even stick around for an autograph.  What, is it because I'm like three times your age?  We could make it work!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1419 on: August 03, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1420 on: August 06, 2016, 09:14:59 PM »
Get Gary Green.

How is he doing? Last I heard he wasn't doing the best health wise (granted that was forever ago and he's probably recovered). I know he lives in Illinois though. I mean the fact he came to our gig was just freaking awesome. I told him I didn't feel like I did the vocals justice and he's like "Dont' worry about it that music is a bitch to perform" or something of that nature and that made me feel a lot better :lol

But isn't he playing with Three friends right now?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1421 on: August 07, 2016, 09:37:20 PM »
I had no idea about this when I made the remark, but Gary had a heart attack in November 2015.  Up to that point, he was still with Three Friends.

He survived and had a stent inserted, and according to the brief article on the Three Friends website he "should be home in a day or two".  That sounds to me like a very mild heart attack, to be released so quickly and with only a stent.  All heart attacks are potentially serious, though, and I have no idea what his current status is, or that of Three Friends.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1422 on: August 15, 2016, 01:08:32 PM »
I considered making a seperate thread for this, and I will, but not until we have something proper, like our album coming out or something. But that's likely a long way off.

My band Oktober's first demo is done and is up on soundcloud!

https://soundcloud.com/oktoberofficial/voyage

It's not perfect. In fact, it's pretty rough. But it turned out really well considering that we produced it ourselves and it's the first thing any of us ever produced, so we had to learn everything from scratch as we went along.

This is the first song of an eight track concept album called "Virgo" that we've written.

« Reply #1423 on: August 15, 2016, 02:54:15 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/heliosgr/sets/hills-and-valleys https://heliosgr.bandcamp.com/album/hills-and-valleys-the-debut-album
My album is now out! Woohoo! Give it a listen, if you would like :)
@BlackInk, I love the track. It's really good! Can't wait to hear what the finished product is like.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1424 on: August 15, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
Thanks, mate!

Listening to your stuff now, very nice and relaxing way to end my day.

« Reply #1425 on: August 15, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks, mate!

Listening to your stuff now, very nice and relaxing way to end my day.
No problem. And cheers, glad to hear it's relaxing  :)

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1426 on: August 24, 2016, 03:01:12 PM »
So, my band is entering the studio the coming month to record a ten-track, almost 50-minute debut album under the name Overhaul. Essentially a follow-up to the EP 'Daybreak' we released in 2014, but with completely different music and, if I may say so, a far more pronounced style and attitude. I'n ridiculously excited for this, as it is the first time we're going into a proper studio to really record our music. Next weekend will be all drums, but since I'm the guitarist I have to be there all the time to play along (so the drummer has a little more to play along to than just a click-track).

It's great seeing everything come together; a tracklist of songs for the album (and an order in which the songs make sense), a title (don't underestimate how hard it is to give your album a title), album art, definite arrangements for all the music, et cetera. Excuse my ramblings a little, but oh boy, this album is going to kick ass. I know that  already. We've been working towards this for the best part of the last two years, and now it's finally happening! :caffeine:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1427 on: August 25, 2016, 09:20:57 AM »
Really cool! Looking forward to hearing stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1428 on: August 25, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
That's exciting!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1429 on: August 28, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »

With three more gigs under our belt and three coming up on the calendar, you'd have thought the band was finally getting something going, starting to fire on all cylinders, doing the things we've been trying to do for nearly three years now.  And you'd be right.  After last practice, we had a brief meeting to talk about some of the calls we've been getting, and John just wanted some guidance as to how much we should ask for, what's the lowest we'd take, that kind of thing.  We all seemed to be in the same boat.  Things are finally happening.  A well-known if not huge venue coming up, and a well-known and huge venue after that, our biggest so far.

So of course our "new" guitarist/singer (joined us in the spring) gave his notice that he's quitting.  He'll work the gigs we currently have scheduled, if we want (we do) and honor his commitment to them, then he's gone.

When he joined us not that long ago, he didn't have a day job and was gigging as much as he could to make some money.  We were one of three bands he was in.  Shortly after joining us, he dropped one of the others, as we were making more money.  Since then, he's been called back to his old day job, and only needs/wants to play in one band, not two, and we make less than that other band, so we lose.  He's a mercenary, something we hadn't counted on.  He freely admits that we're a better band and more fun to play with, but they're gigging regularly and making some good money, and if he's gonna be in a band, he'd rather make steady money than just play for fun.

That's the difference.  Since we're never gonna get rich doing this anyway, we're just doing it for fun.  Sure, it's nice to play bigger crowds and take bigger bucks; we're getting there, slowly but surely.  Wouldn't be so damned slowly if people would stop quitting the fucking band every time we get something going!  But each time, we get closer.  We've actually played paid gigs and have started building a very small following.  Two steps forward, one step back.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1430 on: August 29, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »
Sucks about your guitarist, Orbert.

Hopefully you can find someone else soon.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1431 on: August 29, 2016, 11:56:44 AM »
Thanks.  So far, the rest of us are still in.  I'm getting pretty tired of this shit where we finally get something going and somebody quits or has a hissy fit or whatever, but what can I do?  If I decide I've had enough of this crap and also quit, then I don't have a band.  I would then have to hunt around and try to find a band to play in, and hope that that band works out (and I'd have no reason to believe the odds are any better than what I have now) or just stick with what we have.  So I might as well stick with FlashDrive.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1432 on: August 29, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
Keep it going :tup

I've had to endure many line-up changes and people not being committed enough to do shit, but once you get a steady line-up of players that want to work for something good, well, you probably know that better than me ;)

---

From the other side of the world: drum recording went extremely well. It took him only two days to drum in the entire album, out of the projected 3 days, so that gives the engineers more room to edit the drums. We've got a full package at the studio, meaning that if one aspect of the recording process takes less time than planned, more time will go into editing and mixing, so the end result will be even better. I'm up next with guitars, starting next sunday. I'm super psyched to be hitting a proper studio for the first time in my life, practising like crazy to make sure I land the whole album in as little takes as possible (even though the engineers want to quad-track the whole thing  :eek). It'll be a fun weekend, definitely :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1433 on: August 30, 2016, 07:50:47 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but does quad-track mean they want to record four separate tracks of guitar?

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1434 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:19 AM »
Yes, indeed! It means that you record the exact same guitar part four times, so that in the mixing process you get a huge guitar sound. Mixing wise, you would then pan one track to the left, one to the right and the other two around 70/30. This is no exact science, as it differs per record, obviously. The reason you record guitars again is that the minuscule differences in the playing results in an overall 'larger' sound, rather than doubling the first take exactly, which would just make it louder. Examples of this can be found on basically any metal album. Dream Theater did this on Awake, all other DT albums are double-tracked, for example.
Squ