Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300865 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1330 on: April 23, 2016, 07:04:08 AM »
So I wrote a serial piece for my final composition project in Theory 4. It's pretty cool if you're into that kind of stuff.
That's pretty cool indeed, I like it! What exactly is a serial piece?

Basically a piece of music that uses a row of unrepeated notes and the entire piece is just manipulations (transposition, inversion, retrograde, and retrograde inversion) of the row. The row in this is a 7 note row (C - G - C# - D - A - F# - G#) that I do some of those things two, going back and forth between fast and slow.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1331 on: April 24, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
I attempted to write a 12-tone piece in college to make it tonal. My composition professor got mad. :lol not really but he was like "you aren't supposed to do that!!"
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1332 on: April 24, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
So I wrote a serial piece for my final composition project in Theory 4. It's pretty cool if you're into that kind of stuff.
That's pretty cool indeed, I like it! What exactly is a serial piece?

Basically a piece of music that uses a row of unrepeated notes and the entire piece is just manipulations (transposition, inversion, retrograde, and retrograde inversion) of the row. The row in this is a 7 note row (C - G - C# - D - A - F# - G#) that I do some of those things two, going back and forth between fast and slow.

Thanks for the explanation! :)
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1333 on: April 26, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »
Update on my band, because fun!

We've ditched the guy who was our drummer and who had the studio we recorded in. It just wasn't working. He didn't care for the music, he never had the time to record, so we were getting nowhere. So now it's just me and two guys left, and we've started recording demos at one of the other guys' house instead. We've already gotten further in a few weeks than we did with the other guy in a few months.

We still need to find a singer and a new drummer, but once we've done that and gotten the demos done we have a more professional studio guy we know that we can go to. We'll have to pay this time, but it'll be worth it.

Also, where we record our demos is just a few hundred yards away from Fascination Street Studios, also known as Jens Bogren's place. We'd love to involve them in some part of the process, perhaps for mastering once the album is done a year/a few years down the line. That would be mighty exciting.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1334 on: April 26, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »
Changing personnel is never fun, but if it's necessary and you're better off with the change, then it's a good thing even if it's a hassle.  Sounds like it's the right move here.  Good luck!

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1335 on: May 15, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
Have a small 1 minute bit of a 12-tone serial piece I'm working on.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1336 on: May 16, 2016, 03:21:04 AM »
While we're at it; my band released a short snippet of 5 new songs on our Facebook page. We're going to record a full album of 11-13 tracks later this year and it will definitely be released before the end of 2016 (unless things go very wrong, in which case it will be 2017).

At this point we're mainly looking for places to record our drums and guitar, since all the rest (bass, keys and vocals) is stuff we can do at home well enough. Then we're looking for someone to mix the stuff and someone else to master it. The demo EP we released 2 years ago was nice and all, but it's very outdated and frankly, it doesn't sound as good as we would have liked. We're going all the way for the debut album, because we feel that's what our music deserves.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1337 on: May 16, 2016, 04:01:22 AM »
That sounds really epic, especially near the end!  :omg:

While we're at it; my band released a short snippet of 5 new songs on our Facebook page. We're going to record a full album of 11-13 tracks later this year and it will definitely be released before the end of 2016 (unless things go very wrong, in which case it will be 2017).

The instrumental part sounds quite solid and very energetic, what's up with the chipmunk?  :lol Does remind me a little bit of The Mars Volta this way  :D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1338 on: May 16, 2016, 04:08:13 AM »
Everything is sped up :lol That's how we put this much music into less than a minute. The album will be at a normal speed :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1339 on: May 16, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
That sounds really epic, especially near the end!  :omg:

Thank you. Eventually I expect the piece to be about 5-10 minutes. 12-tone serial pieces are pretty easy to write since the only rule is that you cannot repeat the notes of a row within a row.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1340 on: May 17, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »
My composition professor got mad at me when I did a 12 tone song but used about 20 different variations of the tone row in order to try and get some sort of tonality out of it. it's a woodwind trio for flute, oboe, and bassoon, with piano accompaniment... It's on my other hard drive and I don't have access to it at the moment :(

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1341 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »
Here's a few things I did in college.

An orchestration of a Debussy prelude (I got a B+ on it and am still pissed)

OK never mind everything else that was on there sucked :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1342 on: May 18, 2016, 01:34:44 AM »
We had to harmonise melodies and we would run the result through a midi-sequencer and put blast-beats underneath. The results were usually hilarious :lol
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1343 on: May 20, 2016, 08:38:58 AM »
Last thing I released was an EP in September last year, but in the shadow of Paris in the Spring being on hiatus, I have worked on a collaboration with Joseph Tingle (Perpetual Change formerly on this forum), who I have collaborated with before for PitS, but this time it's a whole new project where we've worked 50/50 on it.

It's pretty close to release now and our work is pretty much done. Looking to release it before May is over if possible, and it will be a 6 song EP, kinda Indie Rock with some ambient & post-rock influences, not that far off from some of my albums. But yeah, should be coming out soon. Happy about that, and happy about finally getting something creative out again. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: May 20, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »
I've got hardly any motivation at the moment to record new music and anything I do record sounds pretty poor tbh so i'm just recording demoes and I don't care how long it takes to put the next

album out. The first "Juggernaut" album I put out took me like 2 years. 1 year of writing demoes and almost 1 year of recording so it would be cool to do that again.

After that first year I had like TWO HOURS of ideas in an iTunes playlist which I whittled down to a 35 minute album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1345 on: May 21, 2016, 09:09:57 AM »
Last thing I released was an EP in September last year, but in the shadow of Paris in the Spring being on hiatus, I have worked on a collaboration with Joseph Tingle (Perpetual Change formerly on this forum), who I have collaborated with before for PitS, but this time it's a whole new project where we've worked 50/50 on it.

It's pretty close to release now and our work is pretty much done. Looking to release it before May is over if possible, and it will be a 6 song EP, kinda Indie Rock with some ambient & post-rock influences, not that far off from some of my albums. But yeah, should be coming out soon. Happy about that, and happy about finally getting something creative out again. :)

So yeah this is out now!
https://arcadiaforever.bandcamp.com/

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1346 on: May 21, 2016, 09:28:21 AM »
Listening now, sounds very relaxing.
Squ

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1347 on: May 21, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »
Very nice. August 18, 2013 is especially good so far.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1348 on: May 21, 2016, 11:31:56 AM »
Cool to hear that you like it! Yeah we definitely went for a pretty chill vibe. A day at the beach kinda. :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1349 on: May 22, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »

Had a gig last night, it went pretty well overall.  Outdoor thing set up in the big parking lot out back, under a tent, perfect weather, the first band went from 1:00 to 4:30, then we were supposed to go 5:30 to 9:00.  Well, that's wrong, because it takes more than an hour for one band to move all their stuff out and another to set up and be ready to play.  At 5:30, however, we were surprisingly close to set up, thanks to a lot of coordination and many hands making light work, but once we got to checking the mikes, something was wrong.  So we lost 20 minutes chasing down a bad cable, and that was after taking longer than I would've thought for two guitarists to get all their shit together.  I thought the idea behind having all your pedals on a board and semi-permanently arranged was so that you can just plug in and play.  I was the first one set up, and had keyboards, stand, pedals, amp, saxophone, and my own mike to deal with.

Anyway, we didn't start til nearly 6:30, so after the first set, one of the guitarists turns around and says "We should just keep going, since we started late".  I was still pretty fresh, so I voted "Yea" and so did everyone else, so we went another set.  Okay, at 8:15, I was damned glad for that break.  Somewhere in there, I got a cramp in my foot, since gigging and rehearsing are the longest I ever stand up non-stop these days, but I kept playing, and tried to make it look like I was striking dramatic rock poses while I was stretching out my left leg and foot.  For anyone actually watching me, that is.  One of the good things about being in the back corner is that no one ever sees me, and to be honest, I'm usually okay with that.  Yeah, it would be nice to be seen once in a while, but mostly no one knows I'm even there.  "Oh, your band has keyboards?  Cool."

Proof: During the break, I went to get a Coke at the bar.  The guy took his time (asshole), slowly wandered over and got a cup, poured it, and asked me if I was gonna run a tab or what.  I told him I thought the band got drinks for free (which we do, word from the owner herself).  He said "Oh, are you with the band?"  You asshole, I just got done playing for nearly two hours, and I still have my saxophone strap around my neck.  Also, you asked me the same thing last time I was here.

Anyway, this was our first time playing three full sets.  John had it in his head that we needed to have 40 songs down before we started taking on full gigs, which meant that we nailed down two songs at our last rehearsal.  There, we have 40 songs.  But we only skipped two songs, skipped a break, and still went until 9:30.  I guess around here, you play three longer sets.  Back in the 80's, it was four  sets of 45, sometimes five 40's, whatever.  Now they want fewer breaks, so longer sets.  Getting too old to Rock and Roll?  Never!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1350 on: May 23, 2016, 08:14:50 AM »
 :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1351 on: May 23, 2016, 10:10:46 PM »
I'll catch you guys at the next one. I'll be done with school then!!!! FINALLY!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1352 on: May 23, 2016, 11:06:55 PM »
Next one's up in Mundelein on June 11.  John says the stage there is really small.  This will be the closest gig so far, at least in the same freakin' county, but with six of us, fitting everyone up there will be a pain.  This should be interesting.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1353 on: May 23, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »
And you know that by the rules of stage priority, you'll probably end up having to play the gig from the bathroom. People can say hi on their piss break. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1354 on: May 24, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »
Yeah.  There's usually a round of emails that go around after a gig, and this one's no different.  Things that were good, things that we need to work on, etc.  As usual, most pictures show our singer being animated and engaging, while the guitarists are standing up there looking at their hands while they play.  The back row is actually looking up and out most of the time, but our front line is pretty boring.  I can't even be seen in most pics, since I always end up behind a stack and/or in the shadows.  I could actually be off stage somewhere, and maybe four people there would even know the difference.  And half of them are in the band.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1355 on: May 24, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »
That's the way it goes sometimes. When my dad's band plays at Coins in Kenosha, it's like that, but they have such a blast playing there. Having that energy and excitement through the ENTIRE band and not just the singer is very VERY important. When that happens, the crowd will usually be engaged.

Speaking of venues, I'm trying to find places for my dad's band to play. He wants to kind of break through into this market and expand to more upper midwest venues than just mainly NE, SE, SW Wisconsin, and E Iowa once in a while. They've won WAMI awards (like the state's version of the grammys, basically acknolwedging achievement throughout wisconsin; they've won best tribute band twice, and last year my dad won best male vocalist in the STATE), so that should be some sort of indicator of success. Obviously, they have a huge setup, and a pretty devoted following that would make the trip down here. I emailed Dirty Nellie's and Reggie's, and he's mentioned he wants to play the Arcada in St. Charles, but I'm wondering if there are any other places in the area that would be able and willing to host them. Do you happen to know of any that I'm forgetting, Bob?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1356 on: May 24, 2016, 11:44:02 AM »
I know almost nothing about the scene around here.  I'm a transplant from Michigan, and have only played bars around here for a few years, and at that, only four times, and all pretty small places.

Edited: Probably shouldn't be using real names here.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:17:31 PM by Orbert »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1357 on: May 24, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
EDIT
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:03:46 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1358 on: May 24, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
Actually, I think I'm going to edit my post.  I don't think we should be using real names here.  Google searches, etc.

Coz, editing your own post is up to you, but my band name is here in this same thread, so I probably should be more careful.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1359 on: May 25, 2016, 08:47:19 AM »
Yeah I'd possibly edit your post, Coz.

I don't know much about the music scene either, and really don't know a lot of people who are in it. I'm just looking for venues that would work for the band. They have the Journey band, which is a full blown setup with lights and projectors and everything, so they need a big stage for that which is why I'm looking at larger venues like Durty Nellies or something. I basically looked up music venues in chicago and ignored like house of blues and stuff like that... he's probably going to have more success in the burbs anyway... so I found a few venues all throughout the area, south, west, and north. Wheeeeee

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1360 on: May 25, 2016, 10:38:13 AM »
Not sure that you need to ignore the House of Blues.  I know the one in Myrtle Beach occasionally has tribute bands play.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1361 on: May 25, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
Yeah I'd possibly edit your post, Coz.

Completely understandable.  Done

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1362 on: May 25, 2016, 03:24:03 PM »
Thanks, Coz.  I don't know if the guy is in the habit of Google searching himself or various band names (especially since ours is also a fairly common word) but you never know.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1363 on: May 25, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »
Not sure that you need to ignore the House of Blues.  I know the one in Myrtle Beach occasionally has tribute bands play.

I guess. They just haven't "broken through" this market yet, you know? There's a more popular (although inferior, in my completely unbiased opinion) that plays more often around here called infinity, but I haven't seen them performing for a while. Also, house of blues in myrtle beach is probably different than HoB in Chicago. They do a lot more "up and coming" bands here than tribute bands. Or at least that's from what I've seen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1364 on: May 26, 2016, 07:21:03 AM »
The one in Myrtle Beach features a little of everything.  Current bands play there, and classic rock acts play there (I just missed Heart there last summer), and they also do comedians and rock tribute bands.