Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 303688 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1295 on: March 20, 2016, 06:38:27 PM »
Something I've always wanted to do. My computer crapped out so I can't at the moment.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1296 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:10 PM »
Easter Weekend was pretty music-filled for me.  Friday Night, our new Youth Director came up with a wacky idea to host "Dinner at Joseph's".  Joseph of Arimathea, that is, the night of the crucifixion.  A number of people were "cast" as certain people from the Bible, and they spoke about what they'd seen and felt, how they knew Him, what they think it all means, etc.  A couple of us were local musicians hired by Joseph to provide music and atmosphere.  So I brought a flute and recorder, Michael played violin.  We played a bunch of free-form stuff in D minor (the saddest key) to set the tone.  Wandered in and out of melodies and harmonies, echoed off of each other, that kind of thing.  We kept it low key.  It was pretty cool.  Got some nice compliments.

Saturday was band practice with FlashDrive.  Worked up a medley of three songs that our new guy Pat used to do with another band, and tightened up "Babe" by Styx which was a minor train wreck at our last gig.  The break was, anyway.

Sunday of course was Easter.  I took a brass quartet (two trumpets, two trombones) and arranged it for what we had available, which was flute and violin on one part, alto sax, French horn, and tenor sax.  The balance wasn't bad, with the flute and violin doubling.  We did two tunes, plus of course the choir had a couple of tunes.  Actually, counting choir rehearsal Thursday night, it was four straight days of musical indulgence.

The band has another offer, second weekend in June, at another tiny little place with a tiny little stage, but at least it's in the same county.  Actually not too far from John's house.  So at least it's not a frickin' hour away like the last two gigs.  That would be two gigs in June.  Hopefully something will come up between now and then, though.  If not, we'll have time to nail down our third set and be ready for the summer festivals.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1297 on: March 30, 2016, 06:51:07 PM »
Where are the gigs in June?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1298 on: March 30, 2016, 09:54:36 PM »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1299 on: April 03, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
That feeling when you wake up in the morning with a cool melody in your head and by the time you've turned on your phone to record it, it's gone:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1300 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »
Where are the gigs in June?

Saturday, June 11 at The Irish Mill Inn in Mundelein.  Tiny little place.  The upside is that it's close by.  Downsides are... many, but it's a nice little place.

Saturday, June 25 is a thing called VetFest, the first annual actually.  It's out in Huntley.  I guess our debut at Sammy's in Huntley impressed somebody so much that they contacted someone they knew who's on the team organizing VetFest, and convinced them that we should be one of the three bands.  So we are.  That's how word-of-mouth works.  VetFest of course is a festival honoring Veterans, and half the band are Veterans (three of the six, including myself) so it's a good fit.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1301 on: April 04, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »
Some new piano music for you guys.
https://soundcloud.com/cody-marshall-mckenna/alone-again
That's nice and relaxing! Perhaps it could do with a contrasting part somewhere?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1302 on: April 04, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »
OK, here's a problem.

At church, our band has gone into personal monitoring (in-ear/headphones as opposed to floor wedges).  I have been using headphones for the last month or so, and overall I've loved it - love doing my own mix, love not relying on the sound man, etch.

Just used in-ears for the first time Sunday morning, and there were some differences.  Biggest problem is easily that the in-ears completely seal me off from the outside, which would be great if I weren't singing.  My skull is filled up with my head voice.

How do I get around that?  Better buds?  I don't relish the idea of only using one bud, that seems to defeat the purpose.  I know that pro performers/singers use both, so it must be a fixable problem.

Any ideas?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1303 on: April 04, 2016, 12:42:17 PM »
I have no idea, so I'll leave it up to someone with experience there to answer.  But it was all in-ear monitors at The Chapel, and it took some getting used to.  I loved have my own private mix of whatever I wanted, but it was kind of a pain the way it sealed off the world.  At the end of each song, or if we stopped partway through, the WL would sometimes start talking, giving comments/pointers, then remember that we couldn't hear him unless we pulled them out.  After a while, he'd just give his comments to into the mike, and we could hear him, but some folks would pull them out of their ears out of habit, then have to put them back in.  It got to the point where we had to have ground rules just to know what to do if/when we ever had to stop during a rehearsal.  The final verdict was to just leave them in all the time, and he'd talk through the mike, but it took a while.  Then he left and we got another WL.

But I only ever played keyboards, never did any vocals with that group, so I have no idea what it would be like to sing with those things in.  Seems like it would be weird.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1304 on: April 04, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
OK, here's a problem.

At church, our band has gone into personal monitoring (in-ear/headphones as opposed to floor wedges).  I have been using headphones for the last month or so, and overall I've loved it - love doing my own mix, love not relying on the sound man, etch.

Just used in-ears for the first time Sunday morning, and there were some differences.  Biggest problem is easily that the in-ears completely seal me off from the outside, which would be great if I weren't singing.  My skull is filled up with my head voice.

How do I get around that?  Better buds?  I don't relish the idea of only using one bud, that seems to defeat the purpose.  I know that pro performers/singers use both, so it must be a fixable problem.

Any ideas?

I've used in-ears for years, they really take some getting used to if you are singing. Better buds probably won't solve the problem you are having because good quality in-ears are supposed to seal off sound, so if you buy better quality ones you'll probably further the issue.

I have done the one ear out thing before, but I don't like that because you lose a lot of the clarity of the mix, which is one of the huge benefits to having in-ears in the first place.

Some in-ear companys do make models with "ambient" bleed, basically they intentionally don't seal your ear off the whole way and allows bleed from the stage sound in... This might be good for you to hear less of your voice in your head. Other options would be less specific, essentially what I have done is adjust my in-ear mix if I'm singing so that I really don't have my vocal mic turned up hardly at all in my actual mix, that way, even though I hear my voice in my head, it's not overpowering the mix of instruments. The last thing I'll suggest is time. My wife has been singing in churches since she was a kid and in the last couple years was put into a situation where she had to use in-ears. She struggled because she was hearing her voice differently for the first time ever, it caused her to adjust some things, but after a while she got used to it and now hates to sing without in-ears because now she's used to that level of transparency hearing her voice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1305 on: April 04, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »
Yeah, I turned my vocal channel all the way down.  But when I sang, my voice was still louder than anything else in my ears lol

I'll just work with it more.  Like I said, Sunday was the first time I've used them, and that was for performance, not even a rehearsal where I could work with it a little.

"Fuck it, we'll do it live!"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1306 on: April 04, 2016, 01:14:16 PM »
My dad has used in ears for years in his band. I could ask him.

I'll try to make it to one of those gigs Bob. I'm kind of equidistant from both Mundelein and Huntley.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1307 on: April 04, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
If I wasn't singing as well, there would be no issue.

Oh well.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1308 on: April 04, 2016, 11:58:03 PM »
If I wasn't singing as well, there would be no issue.

Oh well.

What do you play in addition to singing? Everyone in my dads band uses in ears and everyone sings at some point while playing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1309 on: April 05, 2016, 08:23:28 AM »
Guitar normally.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1310 on: April 08, 2016, 08:49:55 PM »
Guitar normally.

I'll ask the guitarist what he does.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1311 on: April 12, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
So I've been putting together a very basic instrumental and finally have everything recorded in Reaper (which I ditched Audacity for and couldn't be happier).  The only thing that I didn't actually play was the drums, which I put together in Hydrogen drum software.  Not the best option, but I'm not spending hundreds on GOOD drum software, when this isn't something I do more often.  Maybe someday.

Anyway, it's basically something I've kinda put together as a gift of sorts for Mrs. C, like "Look, this is for you!" for our anniversary.  So I've been spending a ton of time downstairs working on this, but trying to be quiet about it.  Couple that with the lack of any good studio monitors to listen back through and it's bee difficult finishing up.  I'm going to go back in tonight and adjust some levels and hopefully get it to the balance I would like.  Once I'm happy with it and she's heard it, I'll post it so you guys can hear it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1312 on: April 12, 2016, 10:50:13 AM »
That sounds pretty cool.  Babes love it when you write a tune for them.  It's so romantic!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1313 on: April 12, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
Amazingly, it's 100x more difficult to come up with a slow and restrained melody than it is to just jam.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1314 on: April 12, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
Oh yeah, writing instrumentals is not for the meek.  Basically, the melody alone, and your performance of it, have to carry everything.  No words, so no "message" to get across, at least not in the conventional way.  It's all you.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1315 on: April 12, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »
Being the first time I've ever even attempted such a thing, it's fairly basic, but if nothing else, it's given me a considerable amount of experience working in Reaper and re-thinking ideas that I (at first) thought were good and trying to find ways to improve them.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1316 on: April 13, 2016, 12:15:43 AM »
I'm really excited. After being inspired by Michael Giacchino's application of theme and variation to the soundtrack of Zootopia, I've just started writing my Symphony #2. This time instead of being 4 movements, it will just be a single long movement (20-30 minutes?) in a sort of symphonic poem style, with a ton of themes each representing something (characters, events, feelings, etc) in some written but untold story I'll write for it. The introductory theme looks like this.

"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1317 on: April 13, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »
Sound good so far!  I like melodies that kinda go back and forth between major and minor.  They feel more free-form, less restricted to tonality or something.  You never know where they're gonna go, so if this is the opening of a long-form piece, the possibilities are endless.

----------

I got an email yesterday while at work (to my personal email) from one of the women from my church; her daughter is auditioning for a couple of things, and needs an accompanist.  Since she doesn't have rehearsal until 7, she wondered if I had any time between 3 and 7.  This made almost no sense to me, so naturally I was intrigued.  It was 1:30 at the time.  She apologized for the late notice and offered to pay me for my time, which I had no intention of accepting.  I've played for her in the past, and she's a sweet kid with a beautiful voice.  It's always a pleasure playing for her, and a good excuse to leave work early, too.

Eventually I worked out that she got out of school at 3, had to be at rehearsal at 7, so this left time in between for the auditions.  I still wasn't sure what the heck was going on, but I told the mom that I could probably duck out of work at 5 (which is early for me), meet them around 5:30, and if she had sheet music, then we're probably fine, but if I had to work things out by ear, we might need some time (which we obviously didn't have).  Last time it was a song from some show I'd never heard of, and all they had was a YouTube video.  I found some bad sheet music online, in the wrong key, and worked something out, but going from cold to audition-quality in an hour wasn't likely.  Show tunes tend to jump all over the place and use a lot of fun chords.  She said she had sheet music.

I get there and they've got a video camera.  The "audition" is actually in the form of a recording, two songs, which she sends to various places.  That's how you audition for summer programs and stuff these days.  Okay, so that's good, because it means we can do multiple takes and keep the best one of each.  Except the battery is getting low, and the spare is dead.  Great.  So we're only going to get a couple of shots at each one.

I look at the songs; one's in Db, the other Gb.  Seriously?  Five flats, six flats in the signature, and since it's show music, accidentals all over the place.  Oh wait, this one isn't Gb; it's actually Eb minor.  Yay.

Practiced myself a few times, then she started singing along with me a few times.  We worked out the tempos of each, the changes (there were many), the dramatic pauses (one in each song), all that.  One of them slowed down at the end, the other just ran its course.  It was almost 6:30 by this point.  I was thinking we had until 7, but that's when rehearsal starts; she has to leave about 6:45.  So now we have 15 minutes to get a good take of each song.

The battery had enough juice for three takes of each song, and in each case the third one was the best.  No surprise there.  Knowing the tape was rolling got the adrenaline pumping, but these were still tough pieces.  She had to bolt; it was almost 7 and she was gonna be late for rehearsal.  She's in the school play, of course; this was all for something completely different.  Mom reaches for her wallet; I told her no way.  I was my pleasure, plus I honestly wasn't that good.  She insisted, literally pushing the money at me (a couple of 20's) and besides, she thought it sounded great.  She's always amazed at how I can just blah blah blah okay fine, I'll take your money.

So I got out of work early, got to play some challenging music and help someone with their audition, and even made 40 bucks.  Life of a free-lance musician.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1318 on: April 13, 2016, 08:05:02 AM »
The happy-go-lucky days in the life of Orbert.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1319 on: April 13, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
The happy-go-lucky days in the life of Orbert.

It makes a nice change from the usual punishment of Orbert's almost band (which seems to be getting a good head of steam now by the sounds of things!)

So I've been putting together a very basic instrumental and finally have everything recorded in Reaper (which I ditched Audacity for and couldn't be happier).  The only thing that I didn't actually play was the drums, which I put together in Hydrogen drum software.  Not the best option, but I'm not spending hundreds on GOOD drum software, when this isn't something I do more often.  Maybe someday.

Anyway, it's basically something I've kinda put together as a gift of sorts for Mrs. C, like "Look, this is for you!" for our anniversary.  So I've been spending a ton of time downstairs working on this, but trying to be quiet about it.  Couple that with the lack of any good studio monitors to listen back through and it's bee difficult finishing up.  I'm going to go back in tonight and adjust some levels and hopefully get it to the balance I would like.  Once I'm happy with it and she's heard it, I'll post it so you guys can hear it.

Awesome!  Can't wait to hear it.  I've written a couple for my wife, she doesn't listen to them very often but :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1320 on: April 13, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
Yeah, there hasn't been much drama lately with the band.  I've meant to post an update a couple of times lately, but haven't had the proper combination of time and motivation.  I mean, if something drastic and ridiculous happens (band member quits, major gig scored, etc) then that's noteworthy, but lately it's just been working up songs and slowly adding gigs to the calendar.  We're coming along.  I really hate some of the new songs, but whatever; we all end up playing stuff we don't really like sometimes.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1321 on: April 13, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
Yeah, there hasn't been much drama lately with the band.  I've meant to post an update a couple of times lately, but haven't had the proper combination of time and motivation.  I mean, if something drastic and ridiculous happens (band member quits, major gig scored, etc) then that's noteworthy, but lately it's just been working up songs and slowly adding gigs to the calendar.  We're coming along.  I really hate some of the new songs, but whatever; we all end up playing stuff we don't really like sometimes.

Life of a band member. I still wish I had the time to do something like that. The choir I'm in has quite a few gigs coming up and so I'm busy as hell. But that's life. I do plan on catching a gig of yours if I have time and I'm close. Just keep the fb page updated and/or post here.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1322 on: April 15, 2016, 12:50:21 AM »
So here's 2 minutes of the work-in-progress Symphony #2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOxb4EZHbgpd2N1X3BNaVFOWTA/view?usp=sharing

Sort of stuck with that huge resolution at the end  :lol I'll figure out how to keep going soon, though.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1323 on: April 15, 2016, 02:37:20 AM »
Nice stuff.

Rather than me critique anything (beyond "I think it is really good"), what do you consider the strongest parts that are "done" (besides sound, production and maybe minor re-orchestrating) and which parts do you think you might come back for some stronger tweaking?

You should start a thread on orchestration and use some of your work as examples.  Why you choose this instrument for that line here, and that for that one there (beyond the obvious range limitations).  I messed with stuff in the early 90s, but MIDI was so much worse back then (at least on a budget).  The hardware synths were multi-timbral, but you could really hear all the depth of each instrument go down the drain when you chose it.  So I usually had a drum machine for drums and bass and one synth that I would only use one patch/tone at a time so that tone sounded good instead of 4 or 5 thin patches at once.  And I'd play guitar over it (but that was a live thing as recording guitar back then was dreadful). Unfortunately, it kind of hurt my ability to experiment with better orchestration.

I'm more into unnatural synth sounds these days.  But if you put up a thread on classic orchestra with samples and your thought process, I'd find the time to check it out.  I know there are other places on the net for that, but I'd probably do it on a casual basis.  I doubt I'm the only one that would find it interesting.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1324 on: April 15, 2016, 05:02:11 AM »
I ordered JP's Rock Discipline book from Amazon earlier in the week, and it arrived yesterday.

I'm going to make an effort to spend some time working through it. Prob a small amount of time (20-30 mins) each night for a while to see how I get on. I've been playing for over 20 years, but have to admit that I've never really practiced regularly, unless there is something very specific that I'm working on, which is rare. It will be a shock to the system!

I'm afraid it might be a case of "old dog, new tricks" though.  :lol

What have been other folks' experiences of the book? Helpful? Infuriating? Make you want to chew your own fingers off??  :)

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #1325 on: April 18, 2016, 12:29:49 AM »
So here's 2 minutes of the work-in-progress Symphony #2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOxb4EZHbgpd2N1X3BNaVFOWTA/view?usp=sharing

Sort of stuck with that huge resolution at the end  :lol I'll figure out how to keep going soon, though.

I dig the opening melody! Glad to find other people doing orchestral work here  :tup

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1326 on: April 18, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »
Song is done and posted in my Soundcloud thread!

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1327 on: April 22, 2016, 11:00:55 PM »
So I wrote a serial piece for my final composition project in Theory 4. It's pretty cool if you're into that kind of stuff.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1328 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:33 AM »
So I wrote a serial piece for my final composition project in Theory 4. It's pretty cool if you're into that kind of stuff.
That's pretty cool indeed, I like it! What exactly is a serial piece?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1329 on: April 23, 2016, 05:12:44 AM »
Sounds like a soundtrack to some really out there indie movie. Pretty cool.