Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300723 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1260 on: March 12, 2016, 09:30:17 AM »
Calvin, you are spot on.  Treat every gig like it's an event, treat every crowd like you're there just for them, because you are.  Every one of us has done this enough to know how it works.  By time we get set up and sound checked, the adrenaline will be flowing and I'll be ready to rock.

There was exactly one gig, back in the 80's, that I didn't give the proper treatment, and I regret it.  We were to be the "special guests" at some multi-band thing an hour south of where we lived.  The problem was that we had a gig the night before, two hours north.  This was in the days of three-day and four-day gigs all over northern Michigan, so driving two hours each way was okay because it was an extended gig and good money.  Well, $700 in 1982 money, which wasn't too bad.

Anyway, we decided to tear down and pack the bus the night before, get some sleep, then hit the road when we got up the next day.  We got started late, traffic sucked, and we got lost on the way there.  We were still there half an hour before we were supposed to play, which was good, but that's when we found out that being the "special guests" was a euphemism for "suckers who we got to fill up a set".  Our guitarist and bassist had to plug into the "host" band's amps.  Drummer had to use their kit, and I had to use the keyboard rig.  Seriously?  In the half hour we had, I went up there and tried to quickly learn everything I could about some other guy's setup.  He gave me a ten-second summary, then disappeared, because he didn't like the idea of someone else using his gear any more than I did.  Nice stuff, but it was all backwards.  Synth on the left, organ on the right, piano in the middle.  I always have the synth on the right (it's a fucking lead instrument, of course it's on the right if you don't stack them) and my choice would've been to have the organ on the left, but I wasn't allowed to move them around or anything.  I'd never played a real Hammond with drawbars and everything, and it would've been nice to actually have even ten minutes to learn, but we weren't allowed to make any sound during the break, I guess because people wanted to hear the shitty jukebox music.

I was tired, sore, felt screwed over, and was trying to navigate someone's else rig.  "Special guests" my ass.  I decided it was okay to let it show on my face.  Yeah, we sound like shit, sorry, we're not happy about it either.  Later, the other guys asked me what the deal was.  Apparently they all had problems and I was the only one who actually sounded good, but I looked bored/unhappy/whiny the whole time.  Even their sound man said it was cool finally getting to mix a keyboard player that knew how to actually use all that awesome gear.  It was just a shame that obviously it wasn't easy for me, but it sounded great.

So... never again.  Every show is an event, every audience is special.  I'm a professional (even if I'm just an amateur) and I'm gonna act like one.

Sorry to hear about your experience playing with great musicians but never really getting to go live with it.  I love playing music, and just jamming with other talented guys is great, but ultimately, playing for others is where it's at.  Our band was originally formed because John has a huge basement and plenty of disposable income, so his idea was to buy a bunch of gear, assemble a group of capable musicians and have a freaking awesome time rocking out in the comfort of his basement.  Like me, he hadn't played in a "real band" since the 80's, so the idea of gigging wasn't even in the picture.  That changed when we realized how good we are.  It's already great playing with these guys, so going live is the next level.

Oddly enough, just thinking about this is starting to get me kinda fired up.  Or maybe it's the coffee kicking in.  I think I'll go make another cup.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1261 on: March 12, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »
I completely understand not feeling on top after all that you described about that gig. I'm not sure I would have been able to keep up my enthusiasm either.

I'm both nervous and excited when I think about playing live with the band some day. Nervous because I have aspergers, and am nervous as shit around people in general. And excited because we have some really cool music, and I think it'll sound really good live. And I do like performing music for people, despite my otherwise nervous nature, so I'm sure it'll be worth it once we get there.

I expect it will be really difficult finding an audience for our weird prog/metal/rock where we live, but we will certainly try our best.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1262 on: March 12, 2016, 12:33:42 PM »
That's the spirit! :tup

Also, don't underestimate the influence of seeing music performed live.  There are lots of times I've been out somewhere and stopped and at least listened to stuff that I would probably blow past on the radio, because it's different when you're seeing it performed live.  Seeing them actually doing it, feeling the connection and the adrenaline, knowing what they're feeling as they perform, even if it's stuff I don't even like.  Any musician will feel it.  Even just flipping channels on TV, there can be some band I've never heard of, playing something I've never heard before, but I'll stop and check them out.  You never know.  You might think no one's going to want to hear weird prog/metal/rock, but play it well and look like you're into it, and some people will check it out.  And out of those who do, you might even connect with a few, make a few new fans.

I've told this story before, probably in this thread, but to me it's the perfect example of this.  Years ago, I had a friend whose roommate was a music performance major, majoring on the clarinet.  I can't say I'm a big fan of clarinet music, but I went over to their house one time, and he was practicing for his upcoming audition for something.  So he's sitting there in the living room, music on the stand, and he's completely tearing up some kind of clarinet concerto.  I mean, he's really wailing.  Amazing 32nd-note runs, great tone, great dynamics.  Totally killing it.  We all just stood there and watched and listened.  And when he finished, a great round of applause, of course.

Did I rush out and buy a CD of solo clarinet music?  No.  But for those five or ten minutes, with this guy right in front of me playing the best clarinet music I've ever heard in my life, it was mesmerizing.  The power of music, played live.  ♫♫

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1263 on: March 12, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
Totally agree. That's something me and my dad use to say, that almost anything is good live. If performed well of course.

look like you're into it.

I have also found this to be sooo important. Many modern beginner bands, at least the genres I usually listen to, often think it best to look really "cool" and serious, as if it's no big deal. Like they're not enjoying what they're doing at all. Not just live but in music videos and stuff too. So when you come across someone who you can truly feel is really into the music, it always makes it better, and it pulls you along.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: March 12, 2016, 01:13:49 PM »
I can't bear bands who scowl and frown in every picture.

You're in a popular band. You're doing what you always wanted to do.

People like you and you get paid for it.

Fucking look like you appreciate it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1265 on: March 13, 2016, 07:16:54 AM »
Last night's gig went really, really well.  Probably the best the band has ever played, and we had a small but appreciative audience.

It was at a little dive called The Lizzard Lounge, a surprise birthday party for someone named Patrick.  He thought he was just meeting a bunch of people there, but they'd rented out one side of the bar, set it up with food and balloons and stuff, and we were the entertainment.  A dozen or so folks our age, plus I think it must've been his mom or someone (older lady named Maggie, seemed to be in charge of things) and one of her friends, and even some little kids.  We had a sound guy named Marty who'd worked with Anne in her previous band, and he was great.  On stage, everyone could hear everyone else, and it was loud, but balanced.  The loudness couldn't really be helped because the place was tiny, but a lot of people told us we sounded great, one even said we "have a great sound" and that's the sound man, not us.  I suspect that we'll be working with him again in the future.  He actually asked John if we had a regular guy, if he (Marty) was just filling in for the night, or what, because he loved working with us.  He can afford to be a little picky about who he works with, and he said we're a group he'd like to work with.

Our set list had one saxophone song in the first set and the other three were in the second set.  That's just the way it worked out.  During the break, Patrick the birthday boy asked if we could do more songs with saxophone, because he loves the sax, and we told him we had a bunch coming up.  During "Play that Funky Music (White Boy)" everybody was dancing at the end when we normally end it, so I started wailing, the band followed my cue, and we went around another time with an impromptu sax solo, then came back and finished with another chorus.  I think that was our first improvised "live" moment as a band, and it came off really well, like it was planned that way.  I also doubled the length of the solo in "What I Like About You" although I think that might've been an effup.  Anne didn't come in to sing the third verse; she kinda looked at me like she wasn't sure if she was supposed to come in.  The solo literally goes right until the vocals come back in, so there's no break.  Anyway, she held off so I kept wailing, we went around again, and then she came back for the third verse.  More saxophone!

So my greatest fears were not realized, and that's good.  Everybody was really cool, really nice people, and I even got a piece of birthday cake, so what the heck.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1266 on: March 13, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »
That's awesome! :tup
Either you've used up all of your bad luck and are on easy street from here on out, or you're overdue for your drummer to spontaneously combust.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1267 on: March 13, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »
Cool :)

I used to play the saxophone when I was young. A little before I turned 16, almost 7 years ago, K picked up the guitar amd now only very rarely pick up the sax. I'm learning the piano as well now and people mostly know me as a guitarist. A lot of times when people find out I play the sax, they tell me I should play it more often and I do need to really,  it's an awesome instrument. Unfortunately, finding the time to practice guitar and piano is difficult enough and I need the guitar for my band and the piano for my work, so it's a tricky situation.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1268 on: March 14, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
That's the spirit! :tup

Also, don't underestimate the influence of seeing music performed live.  There are lots of times I've been out somewhere and stopped and at least listened to stuff that I would probably blow past on the radio, because it's different when you're seeing it performed live.  Seeing them actually doing it, feeling the connection and the adrenaline, knowing what they're feeling as they perform, even if it's stuff I don't even like.  Any musician will feel it.  Even just flipping channels on TV, there can be some band I've never heard of, playing something I've never heard before, but I'll stop and check them out.  You never know.  You might think no one's going to want to hear weird prog/metal/rock, but play it well and look like you're into it, and some people will check it out.  And out of those who do, you might even connect with a few, make a few new fans.

I've told this story before, probably in this thread, but to me it's the perfect example of this.  Years ago, I had a friend whose roommate was a music performance major, majoring on the clarinet.  I can't say I'm a big fan of clarinet music, but I went over to their house one time, and he was practicing for his upcoming audition for something.  So he's sitting there in the living room, music on the stand, and he's completely tearing up some kind of clarinet concerto.  I mean, he's really wailing.  Amazing 32nd-note runs, great tone, great dynamics.  Totally killing it.  We all just stood there and watched and listened.  And when he finished, a great round of applause, of course.

Did I rush out and buy a CD of solo clarinet music?  No.  But for those five or ten minutes, with this guy right in front of me playing the best clarinet music I've ever heard in my life, it was mesmerizing.  The power of music, played live.  ♫♫
This, indeed.

One of my wife's favorite artists is Garth Brooks.  I am not much of a country music fan, but I am familiar with his "hits", and I think he is a fairly talented songwriter.  I got her tickets to one of his concerts for Christmas, and it was this past Friday night.

Now, this was for her.  I would not ordinarily want to see this kind of music live.  But I must say, it was an incredible show.  Obviously they are pros and incredibly well-rehearsed, and the production was amazing, but they just as obviously were enjoying the hell out of it.  It was really captivating to see.

Also, that show was loud as fuck.  Country my ass.  That was a straight-up rock show.  I've seen Van Halen live, and I've seen The Who live, but I've never seen anyone live that was loud as Garth Brooks.

One cool part was during one of the encores.  He came back out on stage by himself, no band, just him and his acoustic guitar, and he started looking around the arena for people holding up signs with titles of songs that weren't part of the setlist.  And then he played those songs by himself.  Some of them were ones he hadn't played live in a long, long time, and he gave fair warning that it might suck, but it didn't suck.  That was cool as hell.

So, am I a big Garth Brooks fan?  No.  But was that show cool as hell?  Yes it was.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1269 on: March 14, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »
And again, that's what seeing music played live can do.  You weren't converted, but I'll bet at least a few people were.  People who were there with someone, weren't really a fan before, but walked out of there thinking "So, should I buy the greatest hits first, or the latest album?  Both?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1270 on: March 14, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »
I wasn't "converted", but I would go see another concert of his in a hot minute.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1271 on: March 14, 2016, 10:58:12 AM »
Close enough.  :p

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1272 on: March 14, 2016, 11:04:26 AM »
Also, a lot of hot chicks were in attendance.  I haven't seen that much T & A in one place in a long, long time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1273 on: March 14, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
Also, a lot of hot chicks were in attendance.  I haven't seen that much T & A in one place in a long, long time.

T&A = Tits and Ass
TA =  The Astonishing

Therefore T & A are Astonishing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1274 on: March 14, 2016, 11:26:16 AM »
I certainly saw some astonishing tits & asses.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1275 on: March 14, 2016, 11:38:13 AM »
:zydar:

Calvin6s

« Reply #1276 on: March 14, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
So glad to hear your gig went so well Orbert.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1277 on: March 14, 2016, 02:02:47 PM »
Thanks! :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1278 on: March 14, 2016, 04:52:56 PM »
Cool story Orbert, glad it was a fun gig! It's funny how sometimes the gigs that seem like they're gonna be a total dead rubber turn out being fun.

I'm finding that more and more with the acoustic duo I'm in - I tend to start dreading doing a gig, usually on that day.  It's like my mind starts running through all the negative things, 'this is going to suck, noones going to dig it, my voice isn't going to hold up' yada yada.  I kinda drag my heels all the way.  But once I'm actually into the swing of it, that seems to disappear and I end up enjoying myself quite a bit.  It's weird how my mind works against me like that.  In a way it's kinda good, cos if I'm going in with low expectations I can only really go up from there :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #1279 on: March 14, 2016, 05:14:11 PM »
Thanks! :tup

And going by your first impression of the gig, thank you for not ending up in a bar room brawl.  You planted some doubt in the back of my mind that I might have cheer led your band going to a legitimately dangerous gig.   :blush  Or your story today would be about your gear being stolen.

When are you posting the pics and/or video?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1280 on: March 14, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »
Unfortunately, there aren't any pictures of us playing, because we were all on stage.  Jerry's wife Vicki usually takes literally hundreds of pictures (she's a camera nut), but since it was a private event and we were just hired as the entertainment, plus it was out in the middle of nowhere, we didn't know if it would be okay to bring our significant others, and we didn't ask.

Jerry took one picture of the stage before we started.  He stood in the middle of the room.  There were four booths along the wall behind him, and three or four tables to the left.  The thing that looks like a gazebo next to where I'm standing is a stairway leading down to the storage/office areas.  That's it.  The place is small, and we were only on one side of it.

I snapped a picture later, knowing I'd want to put at least something on the band's Facebook page.

$2.00 PBR in 16oz CANS!

look like you're into it.

I have also found this to be sooo important. Many modern beginner bands, at least the genres I usually listen to, often think it best to look really "cool" and serious, as if it's no big deal. Like they're not enjoying what they're doing at all. Not just live but in music videos and stuff too. So when you come across someone who you can truly feel is really into the music, it always makes it better, and it pulls you along.

I had a great buzz going by time we started, plus I get really wired up when I play music anyway, so I was laughing and smiling and having a great time all night.  JT (drummer) was sweating his ass off, but I kept looking over at him and laughing, and he couldn't help but smile back.  Jerry (bass) was kinda bummed because he literally could not move around at all; there was just nowhere to go once we were all up there, but I laughed at him and got him to smile, too.  When I wasn't playing keys or sax, I whacked the cowbell or just danced badly behind my rig.  I just kept telling the others how awesome they were, how awesome we are, and it was infectious.  A lot of people said it looked like we were having a great time, and we were.

Bonus picture of Orbert laughing while playing:

Damn, I love playing music!!

Calvin6s

« Reply #1281 on: March 14, 2016, 07:28:48 PM »
 :tup

So happy you are now getting to enjoy what you set out to do with this adventure.  Good luck on keeping it up and adding to the fun.

But people love drama, so be careful not to change the show's dynamic of "As the World Orberts"  or you risk viewership.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1282 on: March 14, 2016, 08:50:21 PM »
Oh yeah, I know.  Some kind of shit is bound to come up.

John contacted The Man, and said we were ready.  The Man said he just had someone cancel May 27.  That's the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend, and I'm out of town.  Meanwhile, Agent Dude had something for us on April 1.  I'm out of town that weekend, too.  Both events are set in stone.  Shit.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1283 on: March 14, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »
That (partially) sucks.  I know if you were 18 to 25, the answer would be easy.  "Damn the torpedoes.  Let's do this."

This is also why I only pick up the guitar to write.  And back in the day, if I had a song idea, I'd stay up and my sleeping patterns would take a back seat to finish it.  Now, even when I have an idea, most of the time I just realize it will probably be the last time I hear it (and what I do remember at a later date won't have the magic).  Doing the band scene?  I can't do a half-assed job and I know that is exactly what I would end up doing at this time in my life. 

The reality is that even if I was about to write the greatest album of all time;
1.  It would be written by some *old* dude
2.  Assuming that guaranteed reception didn't happen, who makes serious money off albums?  So it is still a hobby.

By set in stone, John agreed to them already or it is just accept those dates or miss out completely?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1284 on: March 14, 2016, 10:40:22 PM »
Yeah, that wasn't very clear.  I have commitments which are set in stone for both of those weekends.  One is a trip to Virginia, the other is a trip to Michigan.  The Memorial Weekend trip to Michigan happens every year, for nearly 20 years now.  I'm okay skipping it, but my wife would have some trouble with it.  I brought it up, and she said that since it's a Friday night, we could conceivably hit the road Saturday morning, return late Monday night, and still basically have a three-day weekend.  So I went to email John again, saying it was now a maybe, but by then Pat had responded, saying that he was also out of town that weekend.  I feel better knowing I'm not the one holding us up.  If two or more of us can't make it, well that's just how it goes.  The Man has got to know that with us older dudes, we have families and stuff.  The 20somethings can drop everything and play that weekend.

The thing on April 1 would have been nice because it would've been our first time playing at least in this same county, actually in Anne's home town.  But that's been set for a while, too, and it's a train trip for myself, my wife, and our daughter to visit her college.  We've always wanted to take a trip by train, and since I really, really hated driving through the mountains last time, this kinda combined the two concepts.  We get to do the train trip, we do the college visit, and I sleep rather than white-knuckle it for 12 hours each way.

There will be other gigs.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1285 on: March 14, 2016, 11:41:55 PM »
How receptive is *The Man*?  Does it seem like he's looks at it as "there will be other gigs" or does it seem like he might feel "this is why I don't get older people gigs."

Why is *The Man* doing this btw?  If it is their livelihood, I could see the latter reaction.   The good thing is you guys did last weekend's gig.  If you had turned that down and then these two, I could really see *The Man* losing interest.

When do we get to have a perfect world that stops so we can go realize our dreams on the side?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1286 on: March 15, 2016, 07:23:23 AM »
The Man is the biggest agent in Northern Illinois for bars which have live music.  He is basically the agent.  All the major venues in Lake County work through him, and many in the neighboring counties as well.  We've known for years that to make it in this area, we must work with him.

He says he's not vindictive, and past experience bears this out.  If he offers us a gig and we turn it down, he doesn't get pissy and not book us for six months or some shit.  He's a businessman.  Treat him right, he'll keep us working, and we all make some money.

This isn't a huge deal.  He had set us up with two gigs in December, knowing full well that we only had two sets, maybe 2.5 hours of material tops.  He booked us anyway, and said to play three 45-minute sets with 20-minute breaks.  Three hours, problem solved.  Then Steve quit, and John called him immediately, told him the situation, and we had to back out.  He understood.  We gave him plenty of notice, so he wasn't left hanging.  That's good.  So yesterday, John sent him an email saying that we were back to at least where we were in December, and should be ready for full shows by summer.  He responded by saying that someone had just cancelled on him for May 27, and offered it to us.  John said he'd check with the band and let him know as soon as possible.  Two of us can't make it, so John will reply today that we can't do it.  I'm sure he doesn't actually expect to get a response same day, so I don't think this will be a problem.  He's still got over two months, and plenty of bands trying to get work.

I'm using monikers like "The Man" and "Agent Dude" because in general, I have a thing against booking agents.  That's from past experience getting screwed by them, even though it was years ago with my old band.  But in relating these events, I've chosen to give them silly names rather than use their real names.  There's no point in that, plus there's the tiniest chance that these tales will show up in searches and stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1287 on: March 15, 2016, 07:37:12 AM »
Damn, I love playing music!!

I don't comment on this thread that often, even though I initiated it, but I always enjoy reading your blog-like posts. You truly sound like an awesome dude to play music with. Making music with fun and and (at least to some extent) experienced people and having a good time while doing that is one of the best things ever.

I'm considering joining something like a jam band. I kind of miss simply playing music in a band. My own band rehearsals are very strict and to the point, which is definitely fun in its own regard (don't get me wrong, I love playing with the guys and nailing the stuff we write), but it's a different kind of fun than jamming and messing around. I want impromptu extended songs live as well and jamming around on stage. I'm pretty versatile as well. Although the guitar is my main instrument, I could pick up the sax as well occasionally (it would certainly be an incentkve to use it more often) and I know my way around the piano at least well enough for simple stuff. Plus I can sing reasonably well. Maybe once some other things in my life settle down a bit, I can have a look around for a band.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1288 on: March 15, 2016, 07:57:34 AM »
Orbert, I love reading your posts as well.  Your joy in playing is obvious, and it is inspirational for a musician like me, whose only real outlet right now is playing at church (which I love, don't get me wrong).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1289 on: March 15, 2016, 09:57:31 AM »
Orbert's saga IS the musician's chat thread.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1290 on: March 15, 2016, 11:38:36 AM »
Thanks.  You guys are too kind.  Music is indeed the one thing in life that I'm truly passionate about, and sharing what I've done and what I've learned in my many years is a way of giving back to the community.  And yeah, bragging and showing off a bit, too.  But really, I'm just trying to make people aware of the possibilities.

I moved to the Chicago area over 20 years ago now, but between a young son, a new job, and just plain hustling to make ends meet (I supplemented my income by tutoring math in the evenings), there was no time for music.  After our daughter was born, we joined a church and I started singing in the choir, just to feed my music jones.  I'd never sung in a choir before, but I could read music and have decent pitch, so what the heck.  Making music with my mouth instead of my fingers.  Somehow, that led to playing in the praise band, then eventually doing all kinds of arrangements for other things as well.

The band which is now FlashDrive started when Karen, who used to sing at The Chapel (a different church) with me, was in a startup band that needed a keyboard player.  She's gone now, and John and I are actually the only original members left, but it wouldn't have happened if I didn't take a chance on playing keys at The Chapel, and I only did that because a co-worker of mine was playing bass up there.  He's long gone now, too, but I've kept in contact with most of those folks.

As I see it, musicians are a community.  Yeah, we have to compete with each other for the venues and gigs available to us, but we're all trying to do the same thing, play music for people.  So the important thing is to just get out there and do it.  Musicians have a way of finding each other, and you never know what can happen.  At the very least, you get to play and people get to hear you.  That's already win-win right there, and it only goes up from there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:43:39 AM by Orbert »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1291 on: March 16, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »
I can't wait to see you gig. I miss being in a band...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1292 on: March 16, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »
You'll get your chance.  If the band can just hold it together another couple of months, we'll be ready for prime time.  We had to turn down the only two new offers we've had, so the only thing on the books right now is a festival in June.  John's out of town on business right now, but when he gets back, I'm sure he'll be busting his ass to get us something.  He's a hustler and a good businessman; he didn't rise to CIO of a major corporation by accident.  He worked for it.  He'll get us something.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1293 on: March 19, 2016, 09:09:59 PM »
I've been writing 80's video game music since last night. Holy shit guys, this is so much fun! What do you guys think?? (the pieces aren't necessarily supposed to flow together or anything, although some kind of do)
https://soundcloud.com/cody-marshall-mckenna/sonics-super-poke-kong-world
https://soundcloud.com/cody-marshall-mckenna/battle-themeromancenight-time-village
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1294 on: March 19, 2016, 11:01:03 PM »
^Awesome! nailed the vibe