Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300696 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1225 on: February 19, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
Roll With the Changes is an awesome song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1226 on: February 20, 2016, 05:26:30 PM »
After working literally all day, from the minute I woke up until now almost half past 1am, I finally finished writing the last song on my band's first album. An 18 minute crazy epic.

Now all that's left to do is record! ... and find another drummer. ... and find a singer. ... Yeah we're not quite there yet, but now the album is officially written, which is a huge step that took almost a year and a half to take. So that feels great.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1227 on: February 20, 2016, 11:16:06 PM »
So I was bored all day and made this dark drone track. It's funnier making than listening to them  :P
That's quite nice for a drone track! It reminds me a bit of being in a cave or metro in a Fallout game. What did you use for the "ambient" sounds?
Some sampled textures and sounds I had - I plan to make some more in a few weeks after exams :P

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1228 on: February 22, 2016, 07:12:30 AM »
After working literally all day, from the minute I woke up until now almost half past 1am, I finally finished writing the last song on my band's first album. An 18 minute crazy epic.

Now all that's left to do is record! ... and find another drummer. ... and find a singer. ... Yeah we're not quite there yet, but now the album is officially written, which is a huge step that took almost a year and a half to take. So that feels great.

I'LL SING FOR YOU!!!!  :laugh:

But I'm not in Sweden.  :'(  I have a quarter of Swedish ancestry though.  :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1229 on: February 22, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
But I'm not in Sweden.  :'(  I have a quarter of Swedish ancestry though.  :lol

Awesome, then you'll fit right in!  :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1230 on: February 22, 2016, 04:59:55 PM »

If the album sounds anything like the "Long to Forget" demo, then  :hefdaddy.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1231 on: February 23, 2016, 09:00:20 AM »
It sort of the same style, so it should be pretty rockin'  ;)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1232 on: February 24, 2016, 05:29:53 AM »
Hey here is another song I wrote, It is the first time I used samples of people speaking I hope it works. I would really really love some opinions :azn:

https://soundcloud.com/ikmatthijs/isnt-it-great-my-laddie

By the way, please excuse the autotuned singing, I can't sing haha.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1233 on: February 29, 2016, 08:34:12 AM »
Orbert, how did the gig go? I was planning on going most of the week but lack of funds and daughter starting to not feel well meant I needed to stay home unfortunately. Hopefully the gig went well enough that there will soon be another gig?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1234 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:55 AM »
I was looking for you, but figured something must've come up.  Sorry you couldn't make it.

It went really well.  It was weird, a Saturday night in a small town, a political fundraiser at 7:00, and we start playing at 8:00.  We were there about 4:00, figured two hours to set up, sound check at 6:00, get out of the way, have something to eat, festivites start at 7:00.  That all went according to schedule, except that come 7:00, no sign of any "festivities" starting.  There were a lot of people there, however, and there was one guy in a blue sport coat and tie and great hair passing out business cards, so we figured he was The Man.  He was.  He came by our table maybe quarter after 7.

By this time, everyone's met Mike and Diane, the owners, and they're great, really nice people.  After The Man wandered off to kiss some more asses, I asked Mike if he still wanted us to start at 8:00, because I thought things were gonna start at 7:00 and I couldn't tell if they had or not.  He said he wasn't really sure about how this works, having never done it before, but yeah, we should start playing at 8:00.  I said that that meant we'd be finishing up before 11:00, so how does that work?  He said the place usually starts clearing out by Midnight.  This is not a huge place, and it's a tiny town.  No crazy headbanging until 2:00 AM here.  So okay.

Five minutes to 8:00, we start gathering, doing some final checks on stuff, and The Man asks if he can just say a few words before we start playing.  Sure, we figured that was the deal.  He introduces himself, some buddy of his running for Commissioner of something, and some other buddy running for Circuit Court Judge or something like that.  Asks everyone for their support, then introduces the band.  That was the extent of the political activities during the night.

We totally killed 'em.  I mean come on, this is Huntley, Illinois.  We were the best thing they'd seen/heard in a long time.  We played a little over an hour, took a break, came back and played our second set, by this time it was pushing 10:30.  Diane asked if we could play a little more.  We told her that that was actually all we knew; we've only practiced together four times.  "Four times!"  She was blown away.  But we whipped out Johnny B. Goode in A, stretched it out, everyone took solos, then we repeated Born to be Wild, and did Come Sail Away again (even better than the first time) which is Diane's favorite song.  I did my piano solo thing leading into the intro, John did the Tommy Shaw solo at the end and took it a bit farther, then the big ending.  It was actually a really good rendition.  Diane looked like she was gonna cry.  She said we're definitely invited to come back.  So that's cool.  I'm not a fan of the hour drive out there, and playing two counties away doesn't do a lot to build a local following, but a gig's a gig.  They like us and are willing to pay us, and it's good practice for when we start doing more high-profile stuff hopefully not too long from now.

Now we just gotta get a third set together and we'll be ready to go.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1235 on: February 29, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »
 Let me know when you guys go back. I feel bad for not going, I was planning on going, but just didn't work out this time unfortunately. Keep me posted!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1236 on: February 29, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »
I figured out how to find everyone who's "Liked" the band's Facebook page, and see that you're on it, so you should see Event notices and other postings to the band page.  But I'll probably blab about it here, too.  If/when this band actually starts playing regularly, I'll back off on that, but for now, every gig actually is an event.  In over two years, this was only our fourth gig, and other than a birthday party in two weeks, we have nothing on the calendar (yet).

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1237 on: February 29, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »
Wish I had connections. Someone I used to teach with is in a band who plays mainly the far northern burbs and my dads band plays an occasional gig in Kenosha and down here probably once every 3 years or so :lol I'm no help

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1238 on: March 01, 2016, 07:44:11 AM »
*gig write up*

Sounds great, Orbert!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1239 on: March 01, 2016, 08:13:27 AM »
Thanks!  It was a good time.

Our next gig is two Saturdays from now, a private thing in another tiny little place in a tiny little town.  Somebody rented out the bar for a birthday bash and will pay us $300 to play.  Sure, why not.

So John wants to get together this Saturday to practice, brush up a few things that didn't quite go right the other night, and also learn "Birthday" by The Beatles.  As much as I'd rather have a Saturday to sleep in, it wouldn't hurt to practice a bit more.  I already know "Birthday" (having learned it and arranged it for the praise band a few years back) but it'll be cool to whip it out at the gig, since it's a birthday party.  Also, there's always a chance that someone will be out celebrating a birthday, so it'll be a good song to have in the bag anyway.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1240 on: March 01, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
it'll be cool to whip it out at the gig, since it's a birthday party.

I predict this will be the last gig you get.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1241 on: March 01, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
Hey, we don't know what kind of birthday party this is, at all.  It could well be what gets us many gigs in the future, though perhaps of a slightly different nature.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: March 01, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
You got me there. In that case, rock out with your cock out. :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1243 on: March 01, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »
:metal

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1244 on: March 01, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
If they are renting out the bar, it's possible that the manager of the bar may also be there, and if they like you, well there you go.

Where is the gig? Obv since it's a private party I won't be going, but just wondering for geographical purposes and what you mean by tiny town :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1245 on: March 01, 2016, 12:58:50 PM »
The town is Wonder Lake, on the shore of... Wonder Lake.  Population 4000 as of the 2010 census, but in 2000 it was only 1300.  West of 31, east of 47, north of 120, south of 173.  I've never heard of it before now, but that's not unusual.  There are a zillion little lakes around here.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1246 on: March 01, 2016, 10:32:11 PM »
The town is Wonder Lake, on the shore of... Wonder Lake.  Population 4000 as of the 2010 census, but in 2000 it was only 1300.  West of 31, east of 47, north of 120, south of 173.  I've never heard of it before now, but that's not unusual.  There are a zillion little lakes around here.

And every lake has a town. Round Lake, Grayslake, Third Lake, Lake Villa, Lake Forest, Lakemoor, Lake in the Hills, Crystal Lake, Fox Lake, Gages Lake, Island Lake, Lake Barrington, Lake Zurich, Lakewood... And half of those towns are in Lake County. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1247 on: March 01, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
Seriously.  Lakes all over this damned state.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1248 on: March 05, 2016, 01:52:06 PM »

Thanks to Splent and Cozmo for their support!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:45:38 AM by Orbert »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: March 11, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »
Someone wrote this nice blog post about my music :)

https://eclecticmusiclover.com/2016/03/10/david-oakes/

No I didn't write it :lol

I would not have put "exceptionally talented" :lol :p

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1250 on: March 11, 2016, 10:50:07 AM »
That's a pretty nice writeup.  I would think that getting positive exposure like this would be quite a boon, although the irony of eclectic music becoming more popular isn't lost on me, and I have no idea how many people follow ECLECTIC MUSIC LOVER.

Also, I've often wondered where "Kotowboy" came from, and now I know. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: March 11, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
Yeah it was my band for 5 years. I f---ing loved it but we broke up because we went from being the most popular band in our area to nobodies when we moved to London.

I was the drummer but we wrote the songs between the 4 of us and we all contributed to the songwriting. We tried to be really original. Anything generic was out.

You can sample our album here : www.itunes.com/kotow.

This is just me on guitar and my bro on bass and vocals and Production. Drums are programmed.

:)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1252 on: March 11, 2016, 11:17:34 AM »
I just realized you must be the same David Oakes to whom James responded about Richard Chyki's voice as Nafaryus, right?
https://twitter.com/jameslabrie/status/705150701819797504
https://twitter.com/jameslabrie/status/705487313447591937

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1253 on: March 11, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »
In other news, my band has a gig tomorrow, and try as I might, I just can't get fired up about it.

It's the second gig with the new guitarist, and he's great and the gig two weeks ago rocked, and we finally seem to be getting somewhere.  But tomorrow's thing is at a place even more remote and nowhere than the last one, the venue itself has no website, and their Facebook page (which is apparently their only official web presence) looks like shit.  No logo, no picture of the place, just a semi-bad picture of the sign hanging over the door taken by a patron and submitted to the page.  Other pictures taken by patrons and submitted reveal a tiny little place frequented by 100% white rednecks.  User posts rake them for being racist assholes and implore them to at least come into the 21st century.  For obvious reasons, I'm a bit sensitive about racism.  Interesting that the posts are even there.  Either the people running it don't care, aren't savvy enough to remove them, or some combination of both.

Yelp reviews aren't all horrible, but the second one mentions the bartenders getting high right outside the front door so people have to walk through the smoke to get in.  Real classy place.

Our drummer JT took a trip up there to do reconaissance, and says the place is about 2/3 the size of the last place (which was tiny) and has a stage.  A stage might sound good, but it's actually not.  It means that we have a predefined place to set up six people, and there's no way to push out even two inches onto the dance floor.  And we were pretty crammed into the last place.

So it's basically a shithole out in nowherefuckingland, and once again will do nothing to help build our local following because it's an hour away.  I told John all this in an email and that I realize that we have to start somewhere, but shouldn't we at least try to have some standards?  He acknowledged my concerns, and joked that hey, as long as they check for weapons at the door, we'll be fine.  The next email from him was the official announcement to everyone that we had accepted the gig, because Agent Dude (the same guy who got us the shitty gig last November) got it for us, and he's in with The Man, and we want to make The Man happy, because he's the one who'll get us the real gigs.  Whatever.  I do love to play.  I'm just having trouble getting excited about this one.  The last gig was a nice place that just happened to be really small.  This place really does look like a shithole.  We're not even getting paid as much as the last gig, and this time we're paying a sound man, too.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1254 on: March 11, 2016, 12:37:20 PM »
Well...

Yeah :lol

No seriously I hope you guys do well there. Yeah you gotta start somewhere but I hope you can start playing at some venues closer to where you guys are.

I don't know of any places by me that do live shows, there are some bars that do karaoke but I don't know if that means they do bands or not.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: March 11, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »
I just realized you must be the same David Oakes to whom James responded about Richard Chyki's voice as Nafaryus, right?
https://twitter.com/jameslabrie/status/705150701819797504
https://twitter.com/jameslabrie/status/705487313447591937

Didn't even see this. :). Thanks.

Album credit mis print.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1256 on: March 11, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »
I know we have to start somewhere, but the idea is that it doing it will lead to something.  What's next, birthday parties for 10-year-olds?  The only reason I can see for playing this gig is because playing live gigs will help solidify the band, work out some kinks, etc.  That's always good, but driving an hour each way, setting up and tearing down in middle of nowhere, is not necessary.

I told John that we don't have to jump on every gig they offer us.  Agent Dude is, by all accounts, an asshole.  JT and Steve have both met him and confirm this, but more importantly, they also both say that we don't actually have to kiss his ass.  It doesn't hurt to keep him happy, of course, but he's basically The Man's lap dog.  We're already in with The Man.  Last band meeting, John asked us if we thought we were ready to call The Man and tell him we're ready for real gigs, and we all said "Yes!"  The Man had us booked twice last December before Steve had his hissy fit and quit, one for $500 and one for $400, and we're better right now than we were last December.  We're getting $300 for this nowhere gig, a fucking redneck birthday party, and our sound man comes out of that.  It's time to cut out this piddly shit and play some real gigs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: March 11, 2016, 10:27:32 PM »
What's next, birthday parties for 10-year-olds?

I believe next is an Air Force base, then some kind of jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd.

If you had a few more gigs under your belt and a small following, I'd start to get more selective, but for now I'd just take it as experience with the worst to prepare you for anything that comes later. So basically what you said.
I shall wish you good luck though, and pray to the rock gods that nothing more goes wrong. :tup

Calvin6s

« Reply #1258 on: March 12, 2016, 01:10:34 AM »
Request:  A thread called "As the World Orberts"

The only thing worse than moving slowly is not moving at all.  I'd just power through the gig and treat it like a very important gig.  Pump up the crowd (patrons).  Get a local fan to record the performance for facebook or similar posting.  If you are worried about somebody sneering that the gig is a joke, that just gives you the opportunity to respond that the band treats every gig like a no holds barred event.

This can then become your calling card (or link) for local gigs.  Perhaps some similar hole in the wall local gig will think "Hmm.  I like band's that would treat my place like the greatest gig ever offered."

It sounds like you've passed the worst part of a startup band.  The band itself.  There are so many factors with the players.  Not aligning with the band direction.  Not showing up to rehearsals.  Talent and ability.

Heck, one band (with original music - so even tougher on direction alignment) I played with was great.  We all got along great.  We all were supportive of one another.  Rehearsal was a fun event, so calling for a rehearsal was as easy as "have free time to rehearse tonight?" answered with "let's do it."  All were very talented.  But they were more the garage band type (mentality).  When it was just us jamming, we pushed each other to perfection.  If we had to quickly rehearse something before a class, we knew the songs so well we could play a 6 minute song in 3 to 4 minutes.  And other musicians would always look in the door window and tell us it sounded great.

But ever rehearsal would end with me or the other guitarist saying "let's play live".  I understand the hesitation.  We were talking about playing in front of a ton of top notch musicians that could be the "arms crossed observer" x10.  It was strange though because prior in high school, I'd always form the bands that played in front of the whole school.  And I had enough muso friends to say "Christine from the Drama department asked me to have us play as part of their big production."  We could have same day prep and go in with no fear.  Now I'm at a musicians school playing with top notch musicians and some of them freeze at the thought of playing live.  What if they mess up?  So what?  And that's all in your mind because you play flawlessly when you didn't even these musicians are watching you through the door anyway.

After so many rehearsals, my friend and I just scheduled the time and told them we were playing instead of asking.  They said no at first, then agreed.  We played and the intro was great.  Then a few bars in, the bass just dropped out.  And that is a big frequency range drop.  Then the other guitar dropped.  Thankfully the drums kept going.   It caught me by surprise, and I turned from the audience to the band and thought I was going to mess up as well ... but the ungodly amount of rehearsals kept me playing and it was like somebody else was playing as I talked the drummer into not stopping so the others could find their place and come back in.

After we were done, they were adamant that they weren't ready to play again.  I said it wasn't their rehearsal prep, but their stage fright and they just conquered it.  If anything, we should play again the very next night.

It was a strange thing because we played smaller stages around town and even in front of the MI teachers as part of the curriculum where it wasn't about cheers, but always about critique on what we could do better.  In other words, unless you were the best, most perfect band ever created on the planet ... you were going to get feedback / critique.  And it was done without a hitch.  But go up on the big stage and these insanely good players freaked out.  It almost made me want to call up the less stellar high school buds to come play just so I didn't have to deal with people that had no reason to freak out ... freak out.

And you are past all that.  Where 800 factors of band dynamic are checked and in the rear view mirror.  Don't cancel the upcoming gig.  Own it and push really hard for more gigs.  If you aren't concentrating on why this gig is so bad and possibly cause another bandmate to lose enthusiasm, you can concentrate fully on the other gigs.

Especially the jazz exploration gig.  (BTW, I know I'm not telling you anything you haven't thought of.  But sometimes it is good to hear)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: March 12, 2016, 07:36:14 AM »

What's next, birthday parties for 10-year-olds?

What's next ? A gig for ANTS?!