Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 303245 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1120 on: December 03, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
Not sure what the right place to post this is, but I've learned a bit of Gift of Music today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6PFFfhq-tw

Fun song!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1121 on: December 04, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
Mosh, there's the post a video of yourself playing an instrument thread.  It hasn't been updated in a while, but that's only because we're all busy gigging.  Yeah, right.

Or posting it here is fine.  By the way, nice job!  That's a tough song.

----------

In other news, here's what a music nerd does on his day off:

These are the arrangements I cooked up last weekend.  Since the choir will be up in the choir loft during the actual Advent Extravaganza (or whatever we call it), I can't conduct the youth ensemble this time.  It's all one big shebang.  So our choir director's husband Steve will be conducting them, and I figured I'd print out the scores for him.  Had to clean them up a bit, first.  The software I'm using doesn't have a feature to auto-align notes, or at least not one that I could find, so I did it all by eyeball.  Bleah.  But it had to be done.  Steve is easily the best musician in the church (he's a music professor at DePaul) and I wouldn't want him to think I was some kind of amateur hack, even though that's exactly what I am, especially compared to him.  But he's a really cool guy, too, so I try to measure up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1122 on: December 04, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1123 on: December 05, 2015, 04:44:31 AM »
I'm actually attempting to learn to play guitar now.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1124 on: December 08, 2015, 08:03:59 PM »
I'm gonna learn one of these days, too.  There's just too many situations what it would be really handy to at least be able to play a couple of chords.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1125 on: December 08, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »

FlashDrive Update!

We auditioned Pat last night, and separately, each of us has "approved" him.  All that remains is the formality of John offering him the position and him accepting it.

We played four songs from our list, songs that he and John had previously agreed on which Pat knew already.  John also wanted to try the beginning of "Come Sail Away", which we've never played before, but I've known it forever so I started the piano thang and Pat sang and it sounded great so we kept going.  Bass and drums came in on the second verse as I added some layers to the keys, then the big change when the guitars came in, and we even fumbled through the Ab bridge (I was yelling out chords and stuff) and came back to C and finished it.  And it wasn't bad.  We could add that song to the list now.  I love it when you can just play a song in a band because everyone knows it, or knows it well enough to get through it.  It was pretty cool.

Then we did "Some Kind of Wonderful" by Grand Funk Railroad, and Pat impressed us by adding guitar, and doing it tastefully.  Our general rule is to stick to the original arrangements, but there's no guitar in that song.  He just added scratches and fills, but it was sparse and kept the original feel of the song, and was very nice.  (I'm pretty sure Steve could never have done that.  He tends to overplay everything.)  Then Pat said he'd been working on "Hotel California".  So we did that, too, and it was pretty damned good.  Sure, there are a few spots where the guitarists need to figure out who plays what, but it's already 85% there.  And then, just for fun, "Johnny B. Goode" in A.  Silly, brainless jamming, just because it feels good.

I'm pretty sure we have a new guitarist/singer.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1126 on: December 08, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »
That's great news! It's a shame your next band update will probably be about the drummer spontaneously combusting or drowning in his own vomit (or someone's vomit. You can't dust for vomit).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1127 on: December 09, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
Great news, Orbert!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1128 on: December 09, 2015, 10:14:41 AM »
After we finished, JT disappeared for a little while.  He was in so much pain (from the accident a few weeks back) that he was in tears.  But of course as a former Marine, he's manly and could not let us see it.  I honestly do expect him to be the next one to go, if and when that happens.

Pat has officially joined the band!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1129 on: December 09, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »
 :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1130 on: December 14, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »
It's been a while, but I've made another song. Hope you enjoy it  :smiley:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1131 on: December 14, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
Sweet lawd, dat sax. Great one, Sacul!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1132 on: December 15, 2015, 12:07:27 AM »
New piece of music. It's an intro for a song I'm in the middle of writing. https://soundcloud.com/cody-marshall-mckenna/skys-the-limit-intro
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1133 on: December 15, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »
Sweet lawd, dat sax. Great one, Sacul!
Thanks! Took me a while to find some sax samples that flowed well together but looks like it was worth it  :smiley:

Yet I can't stop feeling like whatever I write goes nowhere - can't find the way make tracks evolve. Well, at least they loop fairly well, so I guess I could use them as soundtracks to my games :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1134 on: December 16, 2015, 07:00:22 AM »
New piece of music. It's an intro for a song I'm in the middle of writing. https://soundcloud.com/cody-marshall-mckenna/skys-the-limit-intro

That's really pretty man! Well done!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1135 on: December 17, 2015, 10:57:01 AM »
I'm a little excited.  This Sunday, our band at church will be presenting our Christmas program, and one of the songs will be one that I wrote titled "We Rejoice".  I'm looking forward to it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1136 on: December 17, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »
That's awesome!  That might be something like a next step for me; performing an original.  I do all the arrangements for praise band and the youth ensemble, but have never written an original.  Of course, I'm not a composer, so that does present a problem. :p  My strength is more in arranging things.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1137 on: December 17, 2015, 11:44:11 AM »
Composing is just like arranging.  Just start arranging something that didn't previously exist.

Boom!  Original composition.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1138 on: December 17, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »
The problem is that I never like the stuff I come up with.  I mean, it's all very clever, and I think it sounds alright.  But I'm too close to it.  It may sound alright, but while other people hear music, I just hear something that was written by someone trying to be clever and write something that sounds alright.  I know from experience that certain chord changes sound pretty cool, but if I work that into the composition, then it's not real anymore.  It's just something that was included because it sounds cool.  Everything I do is like that.  Sure, people say it sounds good (not bragging, just giving the situation) but I know it's just a bunch of stuff made up to sound good.  It's not real.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: December 17, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »
but I know it's just a bunch of stuff made up to sound good.  It's not real.

I don't get it, isn't that the point?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1140 on: December 17, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »
I guess.  I think I've always had some trouble accepting my own music.  I can cook stuff and like to get feedback.  I can write stuff that I think is pretty good, and I like to share it and get feedback.  But music is different somehow.  No matter how many times I'm told that people like what I can do, inside I can't help but think that I've pulled something over on them.

Writing is something I can do, but I have to think about it, and sometimes it comes out pretty good.  Same with cooking, or programming, or teaching, or any of a dozen other things I can do.  I can do it, even do it well, but I have to think about it.  But a musician is what I am.  I don't usually think about it; it just happens.  I can be stoned out of my mind or drunk off of my ass, to the point where I don't even remember the gig, and what comes out of my fingers will still blow people away.  I've heard the recordings, seen the video.  Heck, if I start thinking too much about what I'm doing, I screw it up.  I'm usually better off not thinking about it and just letting instinct take over.  It's not me; it's coming from somewhere else.  Call it a gift from God, something in my genes, or whatever, but it's not me.

I'll sit down at a piano and just start playing (I listened to a lot of Keith Jarrett when I was younger) and people go "Wow, what is that?" and it's nothing; I'm just messing around, letting my fingers have some fun.  It's not real.  I've had people tell me that if I ever recorded an album, they'd buy it (again not bragging, just saying) and that's flattering, but it's also embarassing.  It's not me.  My fingers, my brain, but somehow I don't feel like I'm the one who created it.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1141 on: December 17, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »
So, despite my all-round lack of talent, some friends who have a mild interest in prog decided to start a chiptune band (I was in one before - it didn't work out, but I joined this one anyway) and asked me to program drums for them, given that I do a course in music technology at school. We released 2 EPs recently. Almost entirely Yes covers, a couple of Dream Theater ones, and a chiptune working of the Dream Theater "Instrumedley". Find us at https://soundcloud.com/thechromerainbow if you're interested in any way. My personal favourites are The South Side Of The Sky and Big Generator.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1142 on: December 18, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
It has begun.  The agent dude who John was talking to, the same guy who asked if we could do the day after Christmas, offered us a one-nighter at a place we eventually want to get into anyway.  December 18, a Friday night in the middle of Christmas craziness, $500.  Even for a fraction of that money, this is a place we want to play.  The owner is actually a neighbor of John's, and when John asked him about playing at his place, he had to talk to the agent dude.  Agent dude just offered us the place.  If we do well, we play there again.

But we don't have four full sets of tunes.  We've got a couple hours, and are adding a third batch now.  Agent dude suggests we play three 45-minute sets, with 25-30 minute breaks in between.  His idea.  Shit, we could do that right now.  So anyway, we're in.  Then if we do well there, and the thing on the 26th, he says he's got some stuff to look at in Q1 2016.  He tends to book a quarter at a time.  Very businesslike.

So... things are happening.  Gigs booked, promise of future gigs with the agent dude who basically owns this county.  We keep him happy, he keeps us working, and everybody's happy.

That is amazing.

Can't make either of those days, but keep me posted.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1143 on: December 18, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »
I miss being in a band. I'm too busy and can't afford babysitters during practices and gigs. Right now I'm not only teaching but am an assistant conductor of a community choir out in the Chicago burbs, so my plate is pretty full...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1144 on: December 18, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »
Community choir seems like it'd be fun.  I like singing, but I'm not a choir person the way some people are choir people, or like I'm a band guy.  I couldn't see paying dues to sing in a group, although I can understand it for choir-type folks who don't have any other outlet.  I sing in the church choir, and that's enough for me.  I joined the concert band at the community college once a few years ago, because that seemed like it would be fun.  I took band all through junior high and high school, elementary too if you want to get picky.  But the director at the community college was kind of a dick and we didn't get along, so I just dropped the class.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1145 on: December 21, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »
https://musescore.com/user/100120/scores/1548246

This is it. The entire thing. 40 minutes long. Symphony #1.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1146 on: December 22, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »
That sounds really good Lucien. Didn't listen to all of it but if you could ever get this performed/recorded by a real orchestra I'd probably buy it.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1147 on: December 22, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »
That sounds really good Lucien. Didn't listen to all of it but if you could ever get this performed/recorded by a real orchestra I'd probably buy it.

Thank you!  :tup
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1148 on: December 30, 2015, 09:00:59 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/oktoberofficial/guitar-sound-test-1-palm-mute

Short guitar sound test me and my band threw together. The first thing we've recorded to go online! Not much though, and it's a bit sloppily played, but we were just trying out the sound so who cares.

Also, we're not actually this djenty. This riff will probably not be on the album as it was just something we threw together in 5 minutes.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1149 on: December 30, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »

FlashDrive Update!

Pat has officially joined the band, and amidst the holiday craziness, John still feels that we should try to keep some momentum going, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  The problem of course is that it truly seems like this band is cursed.

We were going to get together a week ago last Saturday, our next regularly scheduled rehearsal, but JT had booked something else that day.  The regular rehearsal schedule probably became tentative once Steve quit and the future was uncertain, and I don't blame JT for booking a catering gig.  He's a chef, and this is income for him, catering a holiday party.  He said he was available that evening.  John sent emails around asking if a weeknight the following week would work.  JT reiterated that Saturday evening was still open.  No one replied for a while.  I think the unspoken consensus was that giving up a Saturday morning to practice was one thing, but giving up a Saturday night was another, which is kinda sad, but that's reality.  This band keeps getting closer and closer to being something, but thus far it is still not a working band, therefore giving up a Saturday night to practice in the basement with fellow losers is tough, especially during the holidays when we all have better things to do.  But no one wanted to say it.

So that Saturday evening came and went without a decision.  The next round of emails started with John again asking about weeknights, and we decided on Monday the 28th (two days ago).  And that day, we got hit with an ice storm.  I swear, this band is cursed.  No way I was driving 10 miles out into the sticks on icy roads, and at least one other person agreed, so I'm glad.  Last night wasn't good, so we settled on tonight.

Yesterday, I noticed my brakes were feeling kinda "squishy" and there's the noise when I go around corners, so I took the car to the shop and called my wife to come pick me up.  My car is one of only two which can hold my keyboards and gear.  I have to check with my son to see if he's using the Durango.  His girlfriend comes back tonight after being gone for six weeks, but I think he said she won't be in til kinda late, and they'll get together tomorrow.  We shall see.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1150 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
May the Force be with you.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1151 on: December 30, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
The problem is that I never like the stuff I come up with.  I mean, it's all very clever, and I think it sounds alright.  But I'm too close to it.  It may sound alright, but while other people hear music, I just hear something that was written by someone trying to be clever and write something that sounds alright.  I know from experience that certain chord changes sound pretty cool, but if I work that into the composition, then it's not real anymore.  It's just something that was included because it sounds cool.  Everything I do is like that.  Sure, people say it sounds good (not bragging, just giving the situation) but I know it's just a bunch of stuff made up to sound good.  It's not real.

I know this feeling. I was this way for several years when I started writing. I was forever saying to myself, "Oh this sounds good, I need to put this in." Songs became vehicles for those cool parts, not necessarily songs. However, with further development, that "stuff made up to sound good" becomes integrated and encompassing of the entire song. Looking at the song from the macro level helps this I believe. What do I want from this song? Where is it going and what purpose does it have? What do I want to feel and want it to feel?

As limiting (and boring) as it is sometimes, I find the Intro-Verse-Chorus structure often focuses the mind on that. The desire should be to make each section as good as possible (and achieve the message or sound desired) and also to make each section fit. Before you know it: song. And all those cool parts are there too, because you naturally put them in.

I guess.  I think I've always had some trouble accepting my own music.  I can cook stuff and like to get feedback.  I can write stuff that I think is pretty good, and I like to share it and get feedback.  But music is different somehow.  No matter how many times I'm told that people like what I can do, inside I can't help but think that I've pulled something over on them.

Writing is something I can do, but I have to think about it, and sometimes it comes out pretty good.  Same with cooking, or programming, or teaching, or any of a dozen other things I can do.  I can do it, even do it well, but I have to think about it.  But a musician is what I am.  I don't usually think about it; it just happens.  I can be stoned out of my mind or drunk off of my ass, to the point where I don't even remember the gig, and what comes out of my fingers will still blow people away.  I've heard the recordings, seen the video.  Heck, if I start thinking too much about what I'm doing, I screw it up.  I'm usually better off not thinking about it and just letting instinct take over.  It's not me; it's coming from somewhere else.  Call it a gift from God, something in my genes, or whatever, but it's not me.

I'll sit down at a piano and just start playing (I listened to a lot of Keith Jarrett when I was younger) and people go "Wow, what is that?" and it's nothing; I'm just messing around, letting my fingers have some fun.  It's not real.  I've had people tell me that if I ever recorded an album, they'd buy it (again not bragging, just saying) and that's flattering, but it's also embarassing.  It's not me.  My fingers, my brain, but somehow I don't feel like I'm the one who created it.

I think we are similar in terms of music, becuase wow do I know that feeling. There have been times, hanging around with friends around the piano, and they are working their way through jazz changes or classical pieces like it was nothing, I sit down, just start playing like you say, and get the same reaction you do. And I just think to myself and say, "Yeah I don't even really know what I am doing. I'm not even thinking about it."

The thing is, it is you who created it. It is a gift, and a great one I think. It is a natural, creative way of writing music. From what it sounds like, you would be better served not thinking about it. Forget chords and progressions and structures, close your eyes, use your ears and write what you want. What I always say is, "Make the music you want to make, the music you want to hear."

Yes, it is impossible to tell where it comes from, but in the end it comes from you. I love that feeling, that I don't know how I came up with something, but I love the way it sounds and is exactly what I wanted to hear. One of the hardest parts of writing is getting what is in your head, out. It is the absolute best when it just comes to you. There are many people I have known that can't do that that wish they could, and when they have to write music they have to sit down and scratch it out. Some prefer the latter method and get the best results that way. The key is, use what works for you. From what it sounds like, you do it naturally, you just need to accept the music you write.

It took me years of writing and many songs before I began to accept my music, and still more years after that before I would stop getting upset at myself because it didn't sound as good as the professionals. Finally, after many many songs (I don't even know how many) I am to the point where I enjoy what I write. Not all the time. Like any other person, I write some things and then later think it is total rubbish. But I have also written things that I really love listening to, and will listen alongside any other artist. Not that I am saying it is as good as any professional (I won't judge that myself), but that I can listen to it like any other song and really enjoy it.

In the end, keep at it! From your description it sounds like you are a natural, so take advantage of that and write a ton!
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1152 on: December 30, 2015, 11:06:50 PM »
FreezingPoint, thanks for the feedback!  Everything you're saying makes sense.  At some point, someday, maybe I'll start writing down or recording the endless noodling my fingers like to do if I let them.  I need a PC rig of some kind.  MIDI from the keyboard into the PC, directly into some transcribing software.  I can save it, edit it, mess around with it, eventually decide that it's a composition.  That kind of thing.  Someday.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1153 on: December 31, 2015, 07:54:54 PM »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1154 on: January 09, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
I finally wrote something with piano and guitar, here is a link to the first minute: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-wFOZ_1jZ7eWkFES1NEY3JZcG8/view?usp=sharing
I would love to hear some opinions :)

Here are two pieces of classical style music I put together.
https://soundcloud.com/cody-marshall-mckenna/gizmo-21
https://soundcloud.com/cody-marshall-mckenna/venus

They both sound very nice! I think they would fit great in a game (as someone replied on soundcloud)
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!