Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300596 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #875 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:02 AM »
That's beautiful Lucien, I dig it.  Thanks for sharing.

No, thank you!  :D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #876 on: July 03, 2015, 05:22:29 AM »
Good stuff, Lucien!

We are doing our final rehearsal today for our big concert Monday evening.  It will be frought with peril and I am somewhat nervous - not for myself, but for a couple other guys in the group.  We'll see how it goes.

Also -

I am a fan of Carvin/Kiesel guitars, and my ambition is to one day order a custom guitar from them.

They have a line of headless guitars called Vaders.  That is not the particular kind I would want, but they are pretty neat.

Their custom shop recently produced this beast - just to see if they could.  It is a triple-neck Vader, which I am given to understand is the world's first-ever triple-neck headless guitar (for those keeping score at home).  The bottom neck is standard six-string, the middle is seven-string, and the top neck is an eight-string.  The thing weighs 14 pounds (which is less than I would have expected).

In a fitting name for something so outrageous, they named the guitar Merica. There is also a red, white, and blue color scheme.

I would never want such a thing, but I marvel at it nonetheless.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #877 on: July 03, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
Almost done with the movement 2 of the symphony, stay tuned  ;)

Offline Lucien

« Reply #878 on: July 03, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »
And here it is!

https://musescore.com/user/100120/scores/1025111

and here's the first movement for those of you who haven't heard it

https://musescore.com/user/100120/scores/781356

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #879 on: July 04, 2015, 12:31:08 AM »
so, my friend's friend's band (foxing) got all of their equipment stolen last night. i guess it was like over 20k total in gear. when i heard about it, my heart sank. i met these guys a couple years back, and they were some of the nicest people i had ever met, and hearing that this sort of thing happened to them, i just couldn't believe it. to me, it seems that over the last couple years there has been a spike in bands getting their gear stolen. i feel like every other week there is another band that has had a trailer or car broken into (or in Foxing's case, their entire trailer). some close friends of mine a had a computer and a couple guitars stolen last year (i think).

anyways, i guess what i'm trying to say here is that there seems to be way too many cases of bands having some equipment stolen on tour, and honestly, it's really making me consider not pursuing this whole music thing. i've spent way too much money on gear, and having some asshole come and take it while i'm playing a show, or sleeping, or eating dinner, or whatever, really makes me cringe.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #880 on: July 06, 2015, 06:53:33 AM »
So, my church band's show is tonight.  I am anxious to get through the day and start playing and singing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #881 on: July 06, 2015, 07:11:34 AM »
Ah, gig day.  I hope all goes well for you tonight.  ♫♫

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #882 on: July 06, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
Ah, gig day.  I hope all goes well for you tonight.  ♫♫
Thanks, buddy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #883 on: July 06, 2015, 10:03:44 PM »
Just got back from a pretty shitty band rehearsal.  Feeling shitty, also pretty tired since I worked all day then went to rehearsal, as did everyone else.  That's probably one of the factors; us all being tired.

Once we'd decided to rehearse every other week back in March or whenever it was, John had sent out a rehearsal schedule with dates, every other Saturday through September, which is when we have a gig.  This past Saturday would have been a rehearsal day, but since it was the 4th of July, he asked if people would be able to get together Monday night (tonight) instead.  We've done it a few times before, but it always sucks.  I guess it's better than not rehearsing at all, but we're all tired, especially from the holiday weekend.  We should've just rehearsed Saturday morning as usual.  I didn't have anything planned until later in the day anyway.

Despite John sending out the song list for tonight's rehearsal nearly two weeks ago, and me making sure everyone had copies of the mp3s later that day (I'm the official curator of tunes in the band), we still got there tonight and our other guitarist has been "too busy" to learn the new songs.  Like, apparently at no time in the past two weeks did he even listen to the songs.  I honestly don't even understand that.  I put the songs on my iPod and listen to them every day, because these aren't always songs that I know, and even if they are, I've never listened to them with an ear toward learning to play them before.  Driving to and from work every day, sitting here on the PC, I listen to the songs over and over, sing my keyboard parts out loud in the car, drill them into my head.  I don't necessarily expect everyone to do that, but how can anyone, especially these days, claim that they haven't had time in two weeks to listen to the songs?

Our drummer and singer ignored the mp3s I'd sent out and just went on YouTube and found a different version of one of the songs, didn't even bother to check and see if it was the same one, and they learned that version.  It's the live version, and is very different.  Different intro, different breaks, different ending.  Great, so we wasted a bunch more time trying to figure what the hell was going on, and finally decided we'd learn the live version, so our singer is going to email it out to everyone.  This is after I'd spent two weeks learning the studio version.

And to top everything off, we're dropping two songs which would have featured the keyboards: "Smokin'" by Boston and "Separate Ways" by Journey.  The keys sounded fucking fantastic, if I do say so myself (which I don't, but literally everyone else did).  I worked hard on those tunes. But our singer can't sing them; they're just too damned high.  It's no one's fault, so I'm not actually mad about it, but I'll admit to being pretty damned disappointed.  Not many people, male or female, can sing like Brad Delp or Steve Perry, but I'd hoped that she could.  After a couple of times through, it was pretty obvious that it wasn't gonna work.  Shit.  So we had to drop them.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #884 on: July 07, 2015, 12:12:57 AM »
Ah, it always sucks when you can't do a really good song because its just too damned high to sing.  That's like my band with Hotel California.  Sucks cos I miss out on all that delicious guitar wank at the end!!!

You couldn't just drop the key of the song(s)? One of the bands round our circuit plays everything with guitars tuned to Eb, which makes a lot of sense.  Even just that semitone drop can make a world of difference when it comes to singing.  I imagine you're more than competent enough to change your playing to suit that, or you could do the lazy way and hit the transpose button on your keyboard, I know I would :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #885 on: July 07, 2015, 12:20:43 AM »
Suuup, first post here

Today it's the first rehearsal of my new project. We're playing Foo Fighters and Muse songs, and we're all very pumped about it. Hope it turns out good  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #886 on: July 07, 2015, 01:24:02 AM »
Damn, isn't half the benefit of having a female singer the higher range?
Separate Ways goes up to an E5, which should for manageable for a female singer with a typical register as a one off note. Even if she couldn't hit that note, you could easily modify the melodies to only need to go up to the B4 (which shouldn't be a problem for any female singer) and only sacrificing a couple of notes in the process, which the average listener probably wouldn't notice anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #887 on: July 07, 2015, 01:28:12 AM »
Damn, isn't half the benefit of having a female singer the higher range?
Separate Ways goes up to an E5, which should for manageable for a female singer with a typical register as a one off note. Even if she couldn't hit that note, you could easily modify the melodies to only need to go up to the B4 (which shouldn't be a problem for any female singer) and only sacrificing a couple of notes in the process, which the average listener probably wouldn't notice anyway.

:blob:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #888 on: July 07, 2015, 07:03:22 AM »
This was the second time we'd tried Separate Ways.  She wasn't too sure about it the first time, but had been working on it and thought maybe she could make it work.  I got the feeling she really wanted to do it because the band sounds so damned good on it, but the high stuff at the end was killing her.  The ad-libbed stuff is optional, technically, but the scream at the end is not, and it was just killing her.  Doable, but not healthy.

We also tried dropping it to D.  It just sounded bad.  Probably partly because we'd just be playing it in E, but also, the harmonics on the guitar don't work the same way so it wasn't possible to get that sound in E.

Smokin' was the same way.  Doable, mostly, but she really had to push herself, and it was showing.  And again, dropping the key just made it sound wrong.  I know a lot of people can't tell when the key of a song has been changed, but I can always tell immediately, and so can Steve, our lead guitarist.  It doesn't just sound different; it sounds wrong.  You're playing it in the wrong key.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #889 on: July 07, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
Bob, I can sing those songs.  I'll move up there and join your band.

Well, no I won't.  But it would be fun to jam out.

At any rate, our show last night went fairly well.  Meaning, we had a great turnout, and everyone seemed to have a great time.

But I was not happy because our sound was for shit.  We were using a sound system that we normally don't use, and our sound guy is not the sharpest crayon in the box, and we had real trouble all night with the monitors and mains. 

But we powered through, and although I thought it sounded like shit, it seemed to go over well.

Here's the setlist:

Salt & Light
Move
Amazing Grace (to the tune of Seven Bridges Road - I had the high harmony)
My Redeemer Lives
Greater
Days of Elijah
Love Lifted Me
I Must Tell Jesus (really bluesy song)
There's A Stirring
Revelation Song
People Get Ready
From The Inside Out
Lead Me To The Cross
Presence of the Lord (Blind Faith cover)
Jesus Is Just Alright (Doobie Brothers cover)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #890 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
Congrats on the gig, conditionally I suppose.  Did you get a chance to hear things from out at the board or in the audience, or did it just sound like shit on stage?  I've played gigs where I thought the stage was going to implode from all the suck, but audience recordings revealed that we sounded great.  Gotta trust the sound man.

Of course, you already know your sound man isn't great, so there's that.   :|

Still, the audience enjoying the show is still the ultimate goal, and if that was achieved, then it was a good gig.  It's no fun playing when you think you suck, but if the audience is digging it, then you're still awesome.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #891 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
I haven't heard any audience recordings.  It definitely sounded like shit on stage.

All in all, it was fun, and since it was at Chik-Fil-A, the manager let us eat for free after the show, so hey.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #892 on: July 09, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »
Do you do Love Lifted Me a'la Jack Black in Bernie? That southern gospel style?  Love that song.  My brother is such a southern gospel freak, which is weird as.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #893 on: July 10, 2015, 05:24:02 AM »
Do you do Love Lifted Me a'la Jack Black in Bernie? That southern gospel style?  Love that song.  My brother is such a southern gospel freak, which is weird as.
Not familiar with that rendition, but we don't do anything southern gospel.  I hate that shit.

The version we did was a bluesy thing in D minor.  I think our music director did the arrangement.  I had never heard it before.  And frankly, I don't like it very much.  But I am just a soldier following orders.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #894 on: July 10, 2015, 07:03:39 AM »
Not familiar with that rendition, but we don't do anything southern gospel.  I hate that shit.

The version we did was a bluesy thing in D minor.  I think our music director did the arrangement.  I had never heard it before.  And frankly, I don't like it very much.  But I am just a soldier following orders.

:lol fair enough.  Not a huge fan of it myself, but some of it is cool.  They generally have the same vibe as the old hymns where the lyrics go much deeper than the 'jesus is my boyfriend' stuff that annoys the shit out of me in a lot of ccm and modern worship.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #895 on: July 11, 2015, 11:43:26 AM »
Ah, it always sucks when you can't do a really good song because its just too damned high to sing.  That's like my band with Hotel California.  Sucks cos I miss out on all that delicious guitar wank at the end!!!

Anne emailed everyone a recording she'd made of us doing "Separate Ways".  She said it wasn't as bad as she'd thought, and she's willing to give it another shot, but either she sings it solo or we do some real work on the background vocals.  She's right.  Journey harmonies are clean and tight and a big part of their sound.  Either do it right or go home.

Now I'm having mixed feelings.  Yeah, great song, keyboard sound is a big part of that, but it is literally the one and only song which uses the synth.  I love my Prophet; it sounds great and is perfect for the song.  But it's a 40-pound beast and hauling it to rehearsals and gigs just for the one song is kinda dumb.  Also, we go to a gig, keyboard player has a fucking Prophet up there, and we play one song with it?  Oh, that's right; maybe two people in the whole place would even realize.  Forget I said that.  Anway, as disappointed as I was to drop the song, part of me wouldn't miss having to haul it around just for the one song.  But I'm a whiner.  The band was originally "70's classic rock" but we've been moving into some 80's stuff.  If we actually did a few more songs with synths, it would be worth it.

We do "Hotel California".  She sounds pretty good on it, and so do the background vocals and everything else.  The two guitarists do the main guitar parts, and I lay a bed with Hammond in my left hand and a 12-string patch in my right.  Rolling the chords sounds just like strumming, and it's definitely good enough to fill in behind the guitar lead lines.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: July 11, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »
Bit of a non-sequiter but there has to be a band called " Ctrl-Alt-Del"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #897 on: July 11, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
Bit of a non-sequiter but there has to be a band called " Ctrl-Alt-Del"

Not sure about a band, but there's a popular web-comic by that name.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: July 12, 2015, 01:43:40 AM »
And a computer keyboard command too.

:neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #899 on: July 12, 2015, 02:48:12 AM »

Anne emailed everyone a recording she'd made of us doing "Separate Ways".  She said it wasn't as bad as she'd thought, and she's willing to give it another shot, but either she sings it solo or we do some real work on the background vocals.  She's right.  Journey harmonies are clean and tight and a big part of their sound.  Either do it right or go home.

Now I'm having mixed feelings.  Yeah, great song, keyboard sound is a big part of that, but it is literally the one and only song which uses the synth.  I love my Prophet; it sounds great and is perfect for the song.  But it's a 40-pound beast and hauling it to rehearsals and gigs just for the one song is kinda dumb.  Also, we go to a gig, keyboard player has a fucking Prophet up there, and we play one song with it?  Oh, that's right; maybe two people in the whole place would even realize.  Forget I said that.  Anway, as disappointed as I was to drop the song, part of me wouldn't miss having to haul it around just for the one song.  But I'm a whiner.  The band was originally "70's classic rock" but we've been moving into some 80's stuff.  If we actually did a few more songs with synths, it would be worth it.

We do "Hotel California".  She sounds pretty good on it, and so do the background vocals and everything else.  The two guitarists do the main guitar parts, and I lay a bed with Hammond in my left hand and a 12-string patch in my right.  Rolling the chords sounds just like strumming, and it's definitely good enough to fill in behind the guitar lead lines.

I'd love to hear some of your cover band tunes, can trade you tune for tune ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: July 12, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »
And a computer keyboard command too.

:neverusethis:

omg no wait 4 rlz ? :neverusethis: dats totes cool af ngl !!!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #901 on: July 22, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
At practice the other day, we were working on "Hard to Handle" by the Black Crowes, which has some Honky-Tonk piano in it.  After we finished a run-through, John says "Bob, nice job on that Honky-Tonk piano."

JT, ever the smartass, says "Hey, isn't that racist?  Since it's Bob, shouldn't it be Asian-Tonk piano?"

"Asian-American-Tonk piano," I say, "if you please."

So there it is.  The tune has Asian-American-Tonk piano, courtesy of the resident Asian-American keyboard player.

My wife got a chuckle out of it, but I had to explain it to my kids.  I know; if you have to explain it...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #902 on: July 24, 2015, 07:43:51 AM »
lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #903 on: July 31, 2015, 05:52:51 AM »
I recorded guitars for a friend's hip hop project last weekend and was part of the choir for the epic closing track together with him and my other buddy. I have the widest vocal range, so I sang three-part falsetto harmonies! :D I listened to raw mixes of the songs and they sound really cool! :metal Working on music with others lit a spark of creativity in me, so I'm writing my own stuff for the first time in a year. The riffs I've come up with so far sound pretty good; some of them are pretty doomy, while others sound like 80s hard rock, so it's going to be an interesting mix. :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #904 on: July 31, 2015, 10:39:47 AM »
I haven't heard any audience recordings.  It definitely sounded like shit on stage.

All in all, it was fun, and since it was at Chik-Fil-A, the manager let us eat for free after the show, so hey.

Video footage!

Presence of the Lord

Jesus is Just Alright

Offline davagb071

« Reply #905 on: August 01, 2015, 12:17:25 AM »
a guitarist, pianist, bassist(considerably?), keyboardist and still trying to play some drums here. well not much, i'm 13 now and i started my very first music journey like 8~9 years ago with a piano. after 7 years of lessons i thought it'll be cool if i can play some guitar and--hey in fact ever since i play more in guitars than piano. i got my bass basics while figuring guitars on my own. when i met dream theater musics back there i got inspired to play the keyboard again(i used to play some while taking my piano lessons back there). well, here i am, a keyboardist and a guitarist mainly.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #906 on: August 02, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »
Recorded som stuff with the band for the first time today. It was mostly to experiment and find a sound we like, rather than to record something for release. We did maybe a minute and a half of one of our songs, and it already sounds really really cool. Very excited to record it properly and share it now.

We still have half the songs from the album to finish. 4 out of 8 are done (musically at least, still lyrics and vocal melodies to be done) and the other 4 are still only ideas and concepts, two of which are planned longer tracks. So it'll be very interesting to develop this further, and I'm sure it'll turn out great.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #907 on: August 02, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »

Video footage!

Presence of the Lord

Jesus is Just Alright

Very Nice!! ♫♫

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #908 on: August 03, 2015, 07:42:18 AM »
Thanks!

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #909 on: August 07, 2015, 07:58:09 AM »
I treated myself to a Yamaha PSR-230 Keyboard
- it was €10 in a store, so why not? It has MIDI in/out - so I can use it in Logic! Very nice, and it's from 1996, so is actually the newest full size keyboard I've ever owned.