Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300711 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #805 on: June 05, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
My only basis of comparison is our band at church. 

But if I was in a real band, I would feel more like you guys.

That's why I love getting the other side of things, by playing in the church band.  Because of our wacky instrumentation, it's a given that we won't sound like the CD, but then again, there are at least two or three versions of most songs we do, so ours will just be another version.  I love that, getting to put our own spin on songs.  It truly is our version of the song.

But I always send out mp3's of the versions I'm using as our starting point.  At the very least, they need to know the songs.  The words and phrasing, etc.  In the email, I'll point out that the lead guitar line will be played on electric violin, who will be singing which parts, etc., and for the horns and guitars, I've got charts.  So it's nothing like anyone has ever heard before, but it's still the song.
Yeah, I get that totally.  Our music director sends out youtube links of the versions we will base our versions from.

But then invariably we change keys to better suit someone's voice.  Or add an instrumental part where there wasn't one.  Or use the bridge as an intro, or repeat the chorus at the end, or do a reprise, or just flat out alter the chord progression because we think the one on the studio version is stupid.

Or whatever.  On good rehearsal nights, its incredibly rewarding and fun.  On bad nights, it is drudgery.

BTW, next month we are actually going to have another "concert" (playing at a local Chik-Fil-A lol), and we spent time at rehearsal last night working up the Doobie Brothers version of "Jesus is Just Alright" and Blind Faith's "Presence of the Lord".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #806 on: June 05, 2015, 12:16:32 PM »
And I will concede that I take certain liberties myself, but only when I feel they will not impact the song's integrity or presentation.  Solos are the main point where this is applicable.  There are some songs where, for me, it is unacceptable to play anything but the studio solo.  Crazy Train, Bark at the Moon, Seek and Destroy, Electric Eye, for a few examples.  Some songs, I'll take a lot of the elements of the studio solo and inject a little bit of improve into.  Wild Child by WASP or Keep Your Hands to Yourself are a couple examples.  Some, I'll just completely wing, like Tush or Simple Man or Rockin' in the Free World.  Then there are songs where there isn't really a definite solo, so I'll inject something tongue-in-cheek.  Or I'll replace a solo section with something that someone who's REALLY paying good attention will recognize.

1. We used to do I Wanna Be Sedated.  In the "solo" section before the key change, I'd always play the Flintstones theme.  People loved it.
2. She Hates Me, by Puddle of Mudd.  The "solo" section was the exact perfect length to play the solo to Def Lep's Photograph.  Nearly the same key, even.
3. Mary Jane's Last Dance.  The whole end solo section, since it was in the same key (barring any F major chords in the rhythm), I played the solo to Stairway to Heaven, changing the obvious F notes in the solo to E, when they didn't fall over a D minor chord.

So in instances like that, you can kinda get away with it, keep yourself entertained, and really not take away form the song at all.

BTW, next month we are actually going to have another "concert" (playing at a local Chik-Fil-A lol)

I probably shouldn't find this funny, but I totally do.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #807 on: June 05, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
Go ahead, I certainly do.

Believe it or not, that will be a really big deal, for us, the restaurant, and the community.  Small town.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #808 on: June 05, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »
I'm terrible at picking things out from recordings. But we play original stuff, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I agree 100% with the 'learn at home, put the done pieces together on band practise' thing. That was the biggest proboem with our drummer. He'd show up to rehearsals, not at all knowing the parts, having had months to practise. We spent three hours last practise teaching him how a certain fairly simple 7/8 rhythm went. Eventually he sort of got it, and it suddenly felt awesome playing that part. His kick drums suddenly lined up with what I was playing on the bass and the whole section just felt so much more powerful.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #809 on: June 05, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
I have always hated having to play music teacher at band practice, especially when everyone else is sitting there (already knowing THEIR parts) with a look on their faces like "Why am I even here?"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #810 on: June 05, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
Exactly, it drains everyone of so much enthusiasm, and you have to fight to get it back to where it was before.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #811 on: June 05, 2015, 01:10:32 PM »
And I will concede that I take certain liberties myself, but only when I feel they will not impact the song's integrity or presentation.  Solos are the main point where this is applicable.  There are some songs where, for me, it is unacceptable to play anything but the studio solo.  Crazy Train, Bark at the Moon, Seek and Destroy, Electric Eye, for a few examples.  Some songs, I'll take a lot of the elements of the studio solo and inject a little bit of improve into.  Wild Child by WASP or Keep Your Hands to Yourself are a couple examples.  Some, I'll just completely wing, like Tush or Simple Man or Rockin' in the Free World.  Then there are songs where there isn't really a definite solo, so I'll inject something tongue-in-cheek.  Or I'll replace a solo section with something that someone who's REALLY paying good attention will recognize.

1. We used to do I Wanna Be Sedated.  In the "solo" section before the key change, I'd always play the Flintstones theme.  People loved it.
2. She Hates Me, by Puddle of Mudd.  The "solo" section was the exact perfect length to play the solo to Def Lep's Photograph.  Nearly the same key, even.
3. Mary Jane's Last Dance.  The whole end solo section, since it was in the same key (barring any F major chords in the rhythm), I played the solo to Stairway to Heaven, changing the obvious F notes in the solo to E, when they didn't fall over a D minor chord.

So in instances like that, you can kinda get away with it, keep yourself entertained, and really not take away form the song at all.

I love doing stuff like that, especially quoting other songs in solos.  Usually I'm the only one who even knows what I've done, but what the hell, at least I was amused by it.

Tomorrow we're going to do "Smokin'" by Boston.  The day after the email went out, John called me just to make sure I was okay with it.  I'd mentioned that I'd played the song before in a band.  Well, technically I suppose that's true.  Three years ago, at a one-off gig, we put together some songs and played them, and "Smokin'" was one of them.  Anyway, I told him I'd be ready.  I'd started working on it the night before, about an hour after getting the email.

The solo for "Smokin'" is interesting because it's a combination of ad-libbed and certain points where the band comes together.  Obviously we all have to hit those big A's and go "wahh!" all together, but in between he's just riffing.  And actually, he's just playing a couple of riffs, a couple variations each.  Tom Scholz plays some keyboards, but he obviously just put together enough generic bluesy organ licks to do the solo.

Anyway, I told John that I'd planned to start the solo, hit those chords where we all come together, and riff around in between, so it'll work but not be exactly what you hear on the record.  He was fine with that.  Some solos are iconic; you play them as written because they're as much as part of the song as the words (Stairway to Heaven, for example), but some solos are obviously meant for ad libbing.  So this will be interesting.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #812 on: June 05, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
But then invariably we change keys to better suit someone's voice.  Or add an instrumental part where there wasn't one.  Or use the bridge as an intro, or repeat the chorus at the end, or do a reprise, or just flat out alter the chord progression because we think the one on the studio version is stupid.

Or whatever.  On good rehearsal nights, its incredibly rewarding and fun.  On bad nights, it is drudgery.

We could never do that.  The others would lose their minds and starting screaming, or collapse in a corner and start babbling and drooling.  It's hard to enough to get them to actually play what's on the chart in front of them (which I had to write because they can't play anything from listening to it, it must be written out).  If I started rearranging things or changing the key, forget it.  I get enough flak just suggesting that we repeat the chorus the last time, or double the intro to get the feel.  They can't deal with that.

You know what works?  I write completely new charts, with the intro doubled or whatever, and say I made some changes that I think will work better.  They look at it and go "Okay" because they never listened to the mp3 anyway.

BTW, next month we are actually going to have another "concert" (playing at a local Chik-Fil-A lol), and we spent time at rehearsal last night working up the Doobie Brothers version of "Jesus is Just Alright" and Blind Faith's "Presence of the Lord".

That sounds cool!  Lol at Chik-Fil-A, but hey, a gig's a gig.  We've done "Jesus is Just Alright" a few times, but we lost our one singer who could really nail the slow section.  She wailed.  So now we don't do the song anymore.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #813 on: June 05, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »
Those two songs are really in the wheelhouse of our lead guitarist.  Last night when we ran through Presence of the Lord, and we got to the instrumental section with the big Clapton wah solo, he sounded EXACTLY like him.  It was awesome.

I wish I was playing drums for those songs, but I'm back to guitar at the moment.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: June 05, 2015, 04:33:21 PM »
This one time - I was in a band where the drummer was so shit that I simply had to go.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #815 on: June 05, 2015, 04:39:59 PM »
This one time - I was in a band where the drummer was so shit that I simply had to go.
Insert Lars Ulrich joke here

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: June 05, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »

« Reply #817 on: June 06, 2015, 03:59:28 AM »
 :lol No, get it away from me! The HORROR! THEEE HORRRRRRORR!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #818 on: June 06, 2015, 05:17:10 AM »
If anyone cares, here is a recording our worship band at church did about ten years ago.  This is an original song called "Mosaic."  My friend who is the lead vocal wrote the lyrics (and gave the song its title, which, once you hear it, you will realize is probably not as appropriate a title as "Tapestry", but I digress), I wrote the music, and my wife (who is the dominant female voice on the recording) helped with constructing the melodies.  We were fortunate enough to get a few song professionally recorded at that time, although the other three songs we recorded are covers.

Like I said, this is ten years ago, but our band lineup is largely the same now.  On this recording, I am playing drums.

https://soundcloud.com/hefdaddy42/mosaic

« Reply #819 on: June 06, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »
Again, proving my church is... just the worst. Thanks, Hef.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #820 on: June 06, 2015, 08:08:30 AM »
I'm sure your church is just fine.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: June 06, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »
When I moved back to my Dad's - I started going to the church on his farm where he and my Grandad are both leaders.

Now I work on Sundays I can't go anymore.

« Reply #822 on: June 06, 2015, 08:53:30 AM »
I'm sure your church is just fine.
It's mostly pensioners singing "Jesus take the wheel" and the such-like. I think many of them are of the opinion that rock is the work of the devil.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #823 on: June 19, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »
Much music going on this weekend.  Band practice tomorrow, we're gonna put together "Hotel California," so that should be interesting.  I got together with John and Steve (the two guitarists) last Saturday at Steve's, and we worked out who's playing what, and we're putting it together with the rest of the band tomorrow.  Basically, John and Steve cover the important guitar parts (and there are a lot of them), and I fill in B-3 with one hand and layered six-string plus 12-string with the other.  Also "You're No Good" by Linda Ronstadt, and "Wonderful Tonight" by Clapton.  Whoa, I just noticed that they're all pretty mellow, this batch.  Except we're doing the live version of "You're No Good" which kinda rocks out.  The Clapton is fun though because I'm again doing the B-3 with the left hand, but a Rhodes with the right.

We're also gonna review the two new ones from last time, Foghat's "I Just Wanna Make Love to You" (live version) and "Smokin'" by Boston.  "Smokin" totally smoked.  We sounded great, and that's a hard tune.  So we'll do some rocking, too.

Then on Sunday, I'm providing the music for church.  Our organist accompanies the children's show choir from our neighbor church, and they're doing a gig in Orlando, so I'm gonna play everything she would normally do, except on the grand piano up front.  So that's gonna be sweet.  I get to totally pound on it during the hymns and stuff because the congregation will be singing.  Also, the Doxology.  We redid the chancel a few years ago, pulled all the carpeting out and put in hardwood, and it's completely alive now.  You've seen the pics.

Plus I get a few solos.  A short bit called "Welcoming the Light" which is about a minute or a minute and a half (long enough for someone to walk up to the altar from the back, light three candles, then walk all the way back again).  I'm gonna do a slow chill, bluesy version of "This Little Light of Mine".  They won't recognize it at first, then when they do... well, hopefully I'll get a chuckle or two.  Also the Benediction and the Postlude.  A quickie, then I can basically do whatever I want for the Postlude.  I've been wanting to play "Remembering You" (also known as the closing theme from "All in the Family") for a while, but I've got a pretty killer version of "Morning Has Broken" (with the Wakeman breaks) that would probably be more appropriate.  I probably won't decide for sure until a few seconds before I play.  Should be pretty cool.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #824 on: June 19, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »
:metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #825 on: June 20, 2015, 06:30:30 AM »
Sounds good, Orbert.

We have normal church on Sunday morning, so playing guitar and singing on 7 or so songs there.

But this afternoon my wife and I are performing four songs at the funeral of the mother of one of my wife's friends.  That will be tough, especially since it is four songs I've never played before (and one of which I'd never even heard before) on basically one day's notice.  Hopefully we can do our best.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #826 on: June 20, 2015, 07:22:13 AM »
Seven songs every week is a real commitment.  I used to do the Christian Rock thing about once a month (there were four "teams" which rotated weeks) and it was usually opening the service with two or three songs, then one or two at the end.  If there were only two up front, it would always be two at the end so it was always four or five songs.  When I sat in with my buddy's church a few years back, we found four songs I'd played before and could throw together with one rehearsal (that Sunday morning), but when I got there, I learned that the four we were doing were only four out of the usual seven they play every week.  It's a two-hour service.  That's a lot of rehearsing, a lot of prep, each week.  "That's why we're not very good" he joked, but no, they sounded great.  I was honored to get to sit in with them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #827 on: June 20, 2015, 07:36:25 AM »
Our average service is:

One or two to open up the service, normally more uptempo songs/calls to worship

Greeting time (everyone gets up off their ass and goes around greeting fellow churchgoers/shaking hands)

Two or three more songs from us

Prayer time

Sometimes a special song (not crowd-participatory)

Sermon

Invitation song

Dismissal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: June 20, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
:lol I hate whenever our pastor decides to do " get up and shake everyones hand and say how are you " over some instrumental music. SO excruciatingly awkward...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #829 on: June 20, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »
Why is that awkward?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: June 20, 2015, 07:43:21 PM »
Because Kotow is an awkward person?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #831 on: June 20, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »
Because Kotow is an awkward person?
I thought there might be a different answer than that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: June 21, 2015, 01:44:50 AM »
Yeah and very introvert.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #833 on: June 21, 2015, 05:06:17 AM »
But that doesn't explain why that situation is awkward.  Only why YOU wouldn't like it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #834 on: June 21, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »
Singing two concerts on the weekend again. Looking forward to one of them, the other not so much.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: June 21, 2015, 10:56:56 AM »
But that doesn't explain why that situation is awkward.  Only why YOU wouldn't like it.

no need to cry about it. .  . . . . .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: June 21, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »
Singing two concerts on the weekend again. Looking forward to one of them, the other not so much.

Rather you than me. I might downplay my musical abilities but I absolutely 100% definitely cannot sing. :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: June 21, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »

Rather you than me. I might downplay my musical abilities but I absolutely 100% definitely cannot sing. :lol

Hence all the shitty instrumental albums

jk :hug:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: June 21, 2015, 12:29:55 PM »
That is obviously the reason :lol

" You know - i'd love to hear your music with vocals :) "

Oh bad luck  :biggrin:

No. Sincerely. i am an awful singer.  It's just too difficult.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #839 on: June 21, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
Same problem for me, but I still write song melodies and lyrics, and plan to have others do the singing.