Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300671 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #595 on: January 26, 2015, 04:15:39 AM »
I think Orbert won this thread with the top post. 

Grunge definitely feels to me like a return to 'honest' music after the excess of the 80s. 

I'm not glorifying nirvana in any way shape or form. I'm just stating the fact that they were very influential and changed everything in the early 90's. And their music however "inferior" it is, will live on unlike most of the hair metal from the 80's which will be forgotten sans a few songs.

That's biased BS. A ton of it has already endured better than Nirvana, and will continue to endure as long as anything Nirvana ever did without a doubt.

I love how you call him out on his bias whilst clearly displaying your own :lol Both genres are bound to have an influence on lots of people, to say one is more influential than the other is like comparing apples and oranges.     

I'm not downplaying Nirvana to the level 1neeto has tried to do with hair metal.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #596 on: January 26, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »
I think the truth of the matter is closer to 1neeto than to you, Blob.

Nirvana's place in music history is assured.  People take them seriously and respect them, even if they don't like them all that much.

No one now gives much credit to the hair metal bands (even if they should), except for the statistical outliers like you, Coz, and a few others.  Sure, there is a dedicated audience, but it is relatively small.

There was some great music made by hair metal bands (I like a lot of it), but it was typical 80's, as with everything else that decade: style over substance, image is everything.  I feel like the really great songs that were produced were almost by accident.

Just my two cents.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #597 on: January 26, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
I don't know that I'd really say the audience for hair metal is relatively small, really.  You'd be surprised how many people still love it.  Although, obviously not here.  A glance at the first page of GMD makes it painfully obvious that this isn't a place to go for hair metal.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #598 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »
I don't know that I'd really say the audience for hair metal is relatively small, really.  You'd be surprised how many people still love it.  Although, obviously not here.  A glance at the first page of GMD makes it painfully obvious that this isn't a place to go for hair metal.
I'm not talking about here.  This place is a relatively small sample size no matter WHAT we're talking about.

Except Aussies who don't go outside.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #599 on: January 26, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »
:lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #600 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
*cues Tyketto*

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #601 on: January 26, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »
Just listened to Tyketto's first two albums last week.  Good stuff.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #602 on: January 26, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
Just listened to Tyketto's first two albums last week.  Good stuff.
I like the first one a lot.  I never thought they got the acclaim they should have.  I make fun of hair metal sometimes, but I liked that band.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #603 on: January 26, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
They're going to be at M3 this year, so I was catching myself up.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #604 on: January 26, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
They're going to be at M3 this year, so I was catching myself up.
Is that a festival for one-time hair metal bands?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #605 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:10 PM »
Lots of bands of that ilk.  This will be like my 6th year in a row, going.  Here's this year's lineup:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #606 on: January 26, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
Lol Winery Dogs
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #607 on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
Lol Winery Dogs
TBH, that's probably my favorite band from that poster.

I would attend something like that if I won tickets, but I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for tickets.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #608 on: January 26, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
It's not one of the better lineups they've had, but it'll be a good time. We get lawn seats and roam back and forth from our seats where you can see the screens for the main stage, and the Festival stage that you can walk right up to. Back to back bands on alternating stages from 11-11 Saturday. And like 6-11 on Friday.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: January 26, 2015, 08:46:59 PM »

I hear hair metal everywhere, on TV, in movies, it still gets big exposure given how old it is, and a lot of people are still into it, and a whole wave of new bands have popped up in the past decade influenced by that music. You'd have to be living under a prog rock to ignore it. I very rarely hear grunge music anywhere these days though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #610 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:49 PM »
"living under a prog rock" is my new favorite phrase.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
:lol I must say, I'm proud of that one.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #612 on: January 27, 2015, 07:43:48 AM »
:clap:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #613 on: January 28, 2015, 09:12:46 AM »
Lots of bands of that ilk.  This will be like my 6th year in a row, going.  Here's this year's lineup:

A few good ones there.  The rest probably have some bills they're behind on.   ;)

I've seen Tyketto about a dozen times. They were such a good band though I never really referred to them as a hair band.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #614 on: January 28, 2015, 10:11:13 AM »
Here are the lineups for the years I've been:

I missed the first year.  Every year has had its specific highlights.  2010 = ZO2, Nelson (with Mark Slaughter on rhythm guitars and backing vocals), and Cinderella.  2011 = Mr. Big back together and Big Noize (supergroup with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals).  2012 = EzN and Night Ranger back to back.  Also Stryper.  2013 = King's X and Steel Panther.  2014 = La Torre fronted Queensryche and Tesla headlining.

We always get lawn seats.  From there, you can see the screens that display the goings-on on the main stage, then you can walk over and right up to the Festival Stage.  Saturdays are basically 11-11 bands back and forth on each stage.  It's great just getting to wander around, people watch (my good friend Mark referred to M3 as "A festival of rack"), and listen to music all day.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #615 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:59 AM »
I'm sure that it's 10 tons of fun.

lol I never thought of Tesla as a hair metal band.  But I guess they could be construed that way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #616 on: January 28, 2015, 11:42:57 AM »
I'm sure that it's 10 tons of fun.

lol I never thought of Tesla as a hair metal band.  But I guess they could be construed that way.

I never thought of them as metal at all, let alone hair metal.  I know why people do it though.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #617 on: January 28, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
I think the truth of the matter is closer to 1neeto than to you, Blob.

Nirvana's place in music history is assured.  People take them seriously and respect them, even if they don't like them all that much.

No one now gives much credit to the hair metal bands (even if they should), except for the statistical outliers like you, Coz, and a few others.  Sure, there is a dedicated audience, but it is relatively small.

There was some great music made by hair metal bands (I like a lot of it), but it was typical 80's, as with everything else that decade: style over substance, image is everything.  I feel like the really great songs that were produced were almost by accident.

Just my two cents.

Thank you. That is exactly my point. There are a lot of great hair metal songs, but many will be forgotten because the image style looks absolutely ridiculous nowadays. Hair spray and spandex will never be back. T shirts and jeans on stage will always be around. GenX will keep hair metal alive until we die off and then it will be mostly forgotten with the exception of some household name bands like Mötley Crüe and maybe Poison and Skid Row.

I know you must hate it Blob, but Nirvana is the Led Zeppelin of the 90's. I can't say the same for any 80's hair metal band.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #618 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »
I don't know.  There was no Led Zeppelin of the 90s.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #619 on: January 28, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »
Nirvana were the Led Zeppelin of the 90s?  That's just wrong.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
I'm going with REO Speedwagon of the 90's.  They had a handful of songs that your average radio listener knows, and they'll be remembered as a band that was very popular in their day, but their music may not have aged very well.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #621 on: January 28, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »
Meaning as how the revolutionized the music industry during their time. Not style or talent wise. I knew that comment was gonna strike a nerve.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #622 on: January 28, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »
Meaning as how the revolutionized the music industry during their time. Not style or talent wise. I knew that comment was gonna strike a nerve.

It didn't really strike a nerve as I'm not a big fan of either.  However, I don't think you can compare the influence of the two. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: January 28, 2015, 09:15:30 PM »

Beyond wrong. I'm not even a big fan of Zeppelin, but they've had a huge influence on rock to this day, and you can even hear the clear influence in many of the other big classic rock acts, and many more modern ones. Nirvana's influence doesn't really extend beyond grunge. It was an isolated trend that's pretty much died off. They didn't revolutionize anything in the way that Zeppelin did. I hear more influence from other bands of the era.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:36:16 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #624 on: January 29, 2015, 01:30:26 AM »
Ok I'll put it in simpler, less offending terms. It's been what, 45 years since LP changed everything? And even today people still talk about them and are still relevant. 20 years from now people will talk about Nirvana and the revolution they brought into the 90's, which is their legacy. What will people remember about Poison? The lipstick and eyeliner and maybe Every Rose Has its Thorn.

So I'll be clear once again. I'm not comparing Nirvana to LP, one can't simply do that. All I'm saying that it is very likely that Nirvana will be remembered in rock and roll history almost as much as LP is remembered today.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: January 29, 2015, 02:33:38 AM »
Ok I'll put it in simpler, less offending terms. It's been what, 45 years since LP changed everything? And even today people still talk about them and are still relevant. 20 years from now people will talk about Nirvana and the revolution they brought into the 90's, which is their legacy. What will people remember about Poison? The lipstick and eyeliner and maybe Every Rose Has its Thorn.

So I'll be clear once again. I'm not comparing Nirvana to LP, one can't simply do that. All I'm saying that it is very likely that Nirvana will be remembered in rock and roll history almost as much as LP is remembered today.

Why do you only keep mentioning Poison? Nobody would ever argue that they're one of the better or even representative hair metal bands. It's an ignorant comparison that shows a clear bias, and/or a lack of knowledge on the subject.

And you actually are comparing Nirvana to LZ by saying that. Nirvana might be remembered, but they'll never be placed on the same level as LZ, nor do they deserve to be. Zeppelin is already remembered for a lot more than Nirvana ever was, with so many iconic rock songs that have been endlessly copied through the decades (and I'm not even much of a fan of them). I'd say all that will be remembered of Nirvana will be Teen Spirit and suicide.

Calvin6s

« Reply #626 on: January 29, 2015, 03:07:26 AM »
Wouldn't Van Halen be the better equivalent?  With that in mind, I think Van Halen blows Nirvana out of the water as far as long term musical relevance. 

I typed up some explanation, but this *debate* is kind of ridiculous as it is just two biases fighting one another.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #627 on: January 29, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
I'd say all that will be remembered of Nirvana will be Teen Spirit and suicide.
I don't like Nirvana, but this is just ridiculous.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #628 on: January 29, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
Wouldn't Van Halen be the better equivalent?  With that in mind, I think Van Halen blows Nirvana out of the water as far as long term musical relevance. 

I typed up some explanation, but this *debate* is kind of ridiculous as it is just two biases fighting one another.

I agree that this nothing but people who disagree with each other and nothing img will change their minds. As for EVH, I don't consider them hair metal, even though they sort of adopted the look in the 80's, to me EVH plays the EVH genre lol!

To me hair metal is the likes of Mötley Crüe, Cinderella, Poison, Skid Row, Slaughter, and the countless others that wore way too much makeup and hairspray. They all have quite a few great songs, but the image was downright embarrassing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #629 on: January 29, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »
I'd say all that will be remembered of Nirvana will be Teen Spirit and suicide.
I don't like Nirvana, but this is just ridiculous.

It might be a harsh opinion but I agree with Blob. In the long-run that will be what people remember most.