Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300565 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
The situation is just so different from any other band I've been in.  I've never been in a band before that didn't start with most if not all of the guys being friends first, and deciding to form a band.  Guys from school, guys I grew up with in the neighborhood.  The bond is already there; the music is better or at least more fun and worthwhile because it's your friends, and the friendship is strengthened by the music being made together.

Or at the very least, after a personnel change or two, it's an established, working band.  You've gelled, you have gigs, then someone suddenly can no longer play.  The answer there is pretty obvious; you have to replace them.  This isn't just for fun, there are contracts in place and money will change hands.

Here, the band isn't even working yet, and we're still mostly getting to know each other.  Bringing someone in temporarily is an idea, but in everyone's minds, it's temporary, and there's just that much less commitment to it, and that will affect things.  How fair would it be to the temp guy to send him on his way if/when Rob gets better?  No, at this point, the change must be permanent.  It's cold, but sometimes there is no easy solution.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
Text

...and more text.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences here. I’ve never been in a band before, generally just working on recording projects by myself, so I always enjoy when people share their band stories. It’s an interesting dynamic for sure.

I don’t think it is cold to move on from Rob at all. Nor should you feel bad about it. If you guys continue on like you always have, still leaving Rob at bass and expecting for him to continue his regular duties, that would be unfair to both him and the band. Especially if you guys want to start playing some more gigs. And after all, it is just a band and his health is the first priority for sure. 

Also, waiting for him wouldn’t be a good solution either. That would be unfair to the band, would stall the band’s progress. If he is a sensible person, he would probably see this.

The hard part of course, is telling him. I think the best solution would be have the entire band meet (or if there are one or two “leaders”) and just talk it over. Ask him how he is doing. Ask “How do you feel about playing in the band?” Say that you understand that he is going through a lot right now, will have a lot of commitments, and if he needs to drop out of the band, you guys completely understand. Leave the decision up to him, or set him up to make a decision. I think overall it’s the best decision for him and it’s the best decision for the band.

I think also, if he decides to leave and you guys part ways, offer to have him come and listen to a rehearsal if he feels up to it, or any shows. Still include him in the loop from time to time.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
Wow, just an hour ago I received an email update from John (our fearless leader) thanking Rob for his time with us and for having the courage to gracefully step down so that the band can continue to form and grow (they'd spoken privately - it's official).  John is a corporate executive with years of experience writing emails and and, on occassion, having to let people go both publicly and privately, so that was the short version.  His email regarding cutting Rick was similarly elegant.

The rest of the email outlined the next step, which is auditioning new bass players.  Priority is (1) Karen's husband Mike, who is currently in another project in the same formative stages but who would like to be in a band with his wife, (2) other bass players that anyone in the band knows and can recommend, and (3) a few leads out on BandMix.com, one of whom has already expressed interest.  John asked for people's availabilty this Sunday for auditions, so we're moving forward, and quickly.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »
Well, I typed all that for naught, but I'm glad to hear it worked out.

Do you think that both husband/wife in band could cause some potential issues, or do you think that age/experience/band dynamic make that a non-issue?
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »
It's a non-issue.  I played with Karen and Mike in the praise band at one of my other churches years ago, and then again last summer for a one-off thing.  They're both great people and super mellow.  They've been in bands together before, so it won't be a problem.

Also, as a practical thing, it makes some difference in that it will cut down on potential scheduling conflicts.  That is, if there's a time when either one of them might not be available, there's a slightly higher chance that the other also won't be available because they'll be at the same wedding, party, etc.  The total number of potential outside conflicts is reduced by having the two of them aligned.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:07 AM »
Well that's that sorted then, glad to hear.
I can't imagine how it would be to play in a band that has no friendship or no sort of connection prior to playing together. I've done gigs, either as a fill in, or as somewhat temporary, with people that I didn't know very well, but never an entire band of strangers. Takes courage to dive into something like that.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
It's weird.  We're all middle-aged professionals, each good at what we do, so I approached it initially as I would any project I'd be working on at my day job.  Everybody be cool, do your job, keep the overall goals in mind, etc.  Don't tell others how to do their jobs, but if you must, frame at as something different they might try that could be beneficial to everyone.  Over the course of even these past three months, I've gotten to know everyone a bit, and we've reached the point where we give each other shit (in a good-natured way) during rehearsals, and we mess around a bit musically.  So it's coming together.  I'm not yet at the point where I consider any of these guys friends, but I guess we're almost there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #357 on: March 31, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »
So Mike, Karen's husband, auditioned with us yesterday, and he's in.  There's no point in even considering anyone else.  Karen was out of town, so the audition was free from any bias or potential awkwardness which might have arisen from her presence, so that was cool, but I think it would've been pretty decisive anyway.  As I mentioned, I've played with Mike before and he's great, and he and Karen are both super mellow people, so I don't anticipate any issues with them being married and in the same band.  Also, I was mistaken in thinking that they'd been in bands together before.  Other than the praise band (which isn't really a regular band, not like a gigging band), and the one-offs we do from time to time, they've never worked together in a band, and both are looking forward to it.

Also, wow, we didn't realize how mediocre Rob was until Mike walked in, played all nine songs with us, and we even jammed on a few tunes, and it was great.  He was all over it, with a good, clean sound, lots of motion but never overplaying, pretty much everything you want in a bass player.  The band has once again "traded up".  If this is our final form, I think we're in good shape.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #358 on: April 01, 2014, 05:42:52 AM »
Great news, Orbert. Hopefully everything continues to run smoothly for you now. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #359 on: April 01, 2014, 06:57:34 AM »
Thanks.  Yeah, that's what we're hoping now.  First set is almost done, and we're looking at songs for the second set now.  We didn't even miss a beat.  Old bass player out, new bass player in, he already has all the songs down (and some even better) and we're moving forward.

Overall, I'm feeling much better about the band now.  Also, the whole "playing with strangers" thing is diminished, since there's now two others that I have history with, plus the rest of us are getting to know each other and joke around more.  Sunday's session went nearly three hours, but it flew by and was a good time.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #360 on: April 01, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »
My dad and I have both started playing the bass. We're both complete newbs at it right now, but we're both practicing. As for why we're picking up the bass... well, one of my friends is a really talented guitarist (seriously, he's insanely good) and he's been asking me to learn how to either sing or play bass so that I can jam with him and I think my dad wanted to learn how to play too both for fun and to give me a bit of competition/family support.

Any tips from the more talented folks here? :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #361 on: April 01, 2014, 09:55:02 PM »
Well, I play upright bass, to classical-modern era music (in other words not jazz), and if there's one thing I've learned, is to learn where you can play the same notes in multiple places. Playing any stringed instrument requires you to make efficient decisions on where to put your fingers to make any song playable even faster than normal.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #362 on: April 03, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »
I just play wierd things (which I am in the process of eventually recording).

Basically: my approach was just to play around with it and see what happened (which is perhaps not the best approach), but it does help to learn vague patterns which can be shifted around to other places to play different notes. Oh, and use a metronome.

Oh, and if you sound terrible when you first start, that's normal.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #363 on: April 03, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »
My dad got us a huge Bass Tabs book with all sorts of songs in various difficulties. I'm currently working on learning how to play "Day Tripper". My current goal is to have that whole song down and memorized by the end of the month, then work on another song or two over the rest of spring (I'm considering "War Pigs" or "You've Got Another Thing Comin'") and have "Hangar 18" down by the end of summer and "Roundabout" (which isn't in the tab book, but I'm sure I can find tabs for it rather easily) by either the end of the year or a year from now.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #364 on: April 03, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
Roundabout is a bitch.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #365 on: April 03, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »
Roundabout is a bitch.

Yeah, I can tell just by listening. :lol

But it looks like it'll be a ton of fun once I learn it, and I'll feel a bit better about myself if I can get that song down by the end of the year. :tup :metal :hefdaddy Heck, my dad and I just made it a bit of a competition for each other: we both have the rest of the year to learn the song. Dunno what the reward or consequence will be. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #366 on: April 03, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »
Nice, good luck on it.

The song I've always tried learning is Fountain Of Salmacis from Genesis's Nursery Cryme album (although because I don't have pedals, I end up playing the pedals part on the low B of the bass). One day, I'll get my head around that and then I may try Roundabout again.

But yeah, that song will be fun, it'll just be difficult to not get annoyed with it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #367 on: April 09, 2014, 10:43:37 PM »
We have a gig!

Okay, it's not a paying gig, but we will be playing live, in front of real people.  The neighborhood bash that John's neighborhood has every summer ("Countryside Oaks Summer Fiesta") is actually organized by John's wife Kay, and she put us on the docket.  It's in July, so we have three months to get our shit together, which shouldn't be a problem.  More details to follow, but I'm guessing we'll play a set or two, then eat hot dogs and drink beer.  Something like that.

This is exactly the type of thing we need at this stage.  Playing live, but low key, not for money, just for the experience.  It will help solidify the band.  I'm thinking we should have a second set's worth of tunes together by then, so it should be a good time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
Sounds like a good test run for the band, without the pressure of a paid gig.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #369 on: April 14, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »
Wow, more drama.  This is actually getting to be pretty amusing, a part of being involved in this band which is almost as entertaining as playing music.

I got a call last week from John (the leader) asking what I thought of our drummer Terry.  Terry's a good drummer, and a good guy overall.  Things that come to mind immediately are that he's always pushing for more rehearsals, and more frequently, because we'll never get any good otherwise, and also we should be looking at more modern stuff.  And less important, but still coming to mind, is that he's from a somewhat different culture.  He smokes, is pretty free with the profanity in casual conversation, and just seems a bit more "blue collar" than the rest of us.  As I said, that's pretty far down the list in terms of importance, though.  To me, anyway.

Interestingly, John had the same concerns.  All three.  The pushing for more rehearsals and more frequently, newer songs, and the fact that he's the slightly odd man out in the group.  John is very much about making sure everyone in the band is a "good fit" on all levels.  And it's his band, so what the hell, I'll go along.  Terry is a blue collar man.  Works construction, overhauls cars and trucks on the side as a hobby and secondary source of income.  Comes to practice clean but stinking of cigar smoke.  I don't give a shit about any of that.  In fact, I thought it was kinda fun and made it more interesting that we have such different personalities, but can all play, and play well together.  But we don't all have tons of free time as Terry does, and the band was started with "classic rock" as one of its tenets.  There may be some good, newer stuff out there, but none of the rest of us know any of it, and really, we're more into this just to play some old songs that we like.

I got an email from John today asking what people's availability is this Saturday to audition a new drummer.  Whoa, I guess we're moving right along.  Sunday is Easter, and most of us won't be available, but John wants to try this new guy out.  Emails go around, and there's a two-hour window when we're all available, so John laid out six songs, and maybe we'll have time afterwards to jam a bit and get a feel for each other.

Like a revolving door.  Hell, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I found out at some point that I'm out.  But until then, ride the lightning.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
Like a revolving door.  Hell, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I found out at some point that I'm out.  But until then, ride the lightning.

I was just thinking that. :lol
Maybe they're having the conversation right now.

"So hey, what do you think of this Bob guy? He plays well enough, but he's too quiet, and keeps voting members out of the band." :neverusethis:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #371 on: April 15, 2014, 08:23:48 AM »
I know, right?  John has mentioned in passing a few times when he's bounced ideas off of his wife Kay, so he's not doing this in a vacuum.  I bounce things off of my wife as well, including this latest development.  She pointed out that if Terry's not a perfect fit now, if he's frustrated by wanting to practice more and play newer songs, then he's eventually going to leave the band anyway.  If he's that good (which he is), then he'll find a band that plays more music that he likes, and has a work ethic more in line with his own.  A better fit.

As for me, I think I'm safe.  John sent me a Friend request on Facebook last night.  Steve and Karen are also friends, so that just leaves Mike.  But Mike doesn't get on Facebook very much, so he probably just hasn't accepted the request yet.  I took this latest move as a "confirmation" of sorts.  I may be wrong, but it seems weird to Friend someone you're thinking you might axe later on down the road.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: April 15, 2014, 08:34:15 AM »
If it's taken this long for him to add you, then I'd probably take it as confirmation, unlike had he done it as soon as you joined/formed the band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
Exactly.  I kinda did that, at least I started searching on Facebook just to see what the others had out there, and couldn't find John.  His last name is also pretty common, so there were dozens, but of the ones with pictures I could see, none were him.  Probably had it set to private.

I took this latest move as him consolidating things a bit.  I find this whole process interesting.  Forming a band, corporate style.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2014, 02:17:56 AM »
Wow you should make a TV series about this :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #375 on: April 16, 2014, 03:45:23 AM »
Over The Edge are down to produce

"The Orbert Carries On"

Ya heard it here first folks

Thanks to Over The Edge for the facts
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2014, 03:57:50 AM »
 :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2014, 07:14:32 AM »
Oh you guys (and girl).  :P

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »
Orbert's Den

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
I might be forming a band with two buddies of mine. They both know I'm a newb on bass, but they've offered to help me improve and gel with them. Should be interesting. :)
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2014, 10:57:28 AM »
Good luck!  :tup

Also, your avatar cracks me up.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #381 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »
Good luck!  :tup

Also, your avatar cracks me up.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. We might actually form two bands together; both of them play guitar and drums. Stephen writes metal and JT writes rock, so the idea is that:

Metal Band
Me - Bass, Vocals
Stephen - Guitar
JT - Either drums or guitar if we can find another drummer

Rock Band
Me - Bass
Stephen - Drums
JT - Vocals, Guitar

And yeah, I love this avatar! :lol A friend of mine briefly used it on his Facebook page, but I loved it so much that I saved it and decided to use it here. Goes well with the Flash Gordon theme~ :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #382 on: April 20, 2014, 12:51:03 PM »
Originally I am a drummer but now I play more guitar than drums. I also play bass and know the absolute basics of keyboard/piano. I write music constantly and am very proud of the recent stuff I have made. I write mostly progressive music under the name of Black Ink and I make all sorts of prog stuff like 20+ minute songs and complicated concept albums.

I will start recording with a friend soon.

Hey, that´s awesome. I´m a guitar player and now making my way into the drums. I´m loving the experience. I´m facinated by guys like Portnoy (DT) and Matt Garstka (Animals as Leaders).
The metal-jazz fusion is something that has been capturing my attention.
As a guitar-drums player yourself, would you recommend any albums that would help me improve my drumming technique?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #383 on: April 20, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
Not sure why I never posted it before - some people already know it, but most of you don't - my one attempt writing and recording electronic music, "4°". Made in cooperation with a friend of mine - we both recorded sounds and came up with the concept, but I did most of the editing/mixing/whatever that you do on the computer.

https://www5.zippyshare.com/v/46296769/file.html
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin