Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300685 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #280 on: August 06, 2013, 03:22:47 AM »
GIVE ME SOME MONEY! ;D

Offline adastra

« Reply #281 on: August 06, 2013, 03:26:20 AM »
GIVE ME SOME MONEY! ;D

Just sell your old ones!   :laugh:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #282 on: August 06, 2013, 03:35:57 AM »
Hmm I have an old acoustic that would maybe make 50€, one incredibly shitty Strat copy that nobody would buy and an Ibanez RG that I love too much to sell it. Not really that profitable :lol

I'm still a student after all ;)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »
I'm thinking of uploading some videos of me playing random stuff on Youtube, but I don't really know where to start. Anyone else that does this? I'm thinking along the lines of guitar covers / solos etc.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #284 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
Nobody? :p
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
I would offer advice, but I have none.  I have a bunch of videos of a couple of musical things I've done, and decided to upload them to YouTube last year sometime.  That's when I discovered that YouTube had been changed and "upgraded" to the point where they're trying to make it like it's own social medium or something.  I figured I had to set up an account, but I also had to set up a home page and a bunch of shit that seemed like "Facebook lite" or something.  Then after uploading a few videos, I discovered that no one could see them because I'd managed to put them in the equivalent of the "comments" section and not on my main page.  Or something.  I never did figure out what the fuck was going on, and just gave up.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
Soundcloud is often popular.

I played the 8 string for the first time in months today. Ah, I've missed that thing.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »
Nobody? :p

DO A COVER OF THE FOUNTAIN OF LAMNETH  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

J/k. But when/if I make a band, The Fountain of Lamneth will be on the early recordings  ;D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2013, 06:00:59 AM »
Soundcloud is often popular.

I played the 8 string for the first time in months today. Ah, I've missed that thing.

Yeah, I know, but you can't really upload a video there right? I want to do some stuff of me playing along to records, so I figured Youtube would be the best place.

Also, is that an 8-stringed guitar? I still need to try that sometime!
Squ

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #289 on: September 19, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
Ah video, true.

Nope, it's an 8 string bass (octave strings ftw)
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2013, 03:27:04 AM »
Sounds cool! I've never seen one. That thing must have a HUGE fretboard, right?
Squ

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #291 on: September 24, 2013, 04:45:45 AM »
Sounds cool! I've never seen one. That thing must have a HUGE fretboard, right?

I don't think so actually since the four additional strings are octave strings as Sketchy said. A 12 string guitar's fretboard isn't much bigger than a 6 string one either :)

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #292 on: September 24, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »
It's a little larger than a four-string fretboard, but not as large as my five string's fretboard. Here's a pic of it (and my two four string basses) from a couple of years ago.

I need more basses, evidently.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #293 on: September 25, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
I only have two, but it might as well be three since one of them is as big as me  ;D

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2013, 12:15:03 AM »
What type of bass is it? Human sized bass sounds cool.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:50 AM »
Squ

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »
1. I should have thought of that.
2. That's awesome.
3. DO WANT (But want nice keyboard and fretless 5 string first, as like hell do I have room for one of those until July at least).

Offline Lucien

« Reply #297 on: September 26, 2013, 05:29:14 PM »

I sometimes feel really humbled when I see someone cover a song like Panic Attack on Youtube.

But then I remember that I can play this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmBk0v1hp88 almost perfectly.

Loletudesfororchestra. I was just inspired to post a video of me doing that song, and the other song I'm doing for Region (which is significantly for difficult but slower)

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »
Is the upright particularly difficult to play?

(Granted, I should probably practice the hell out of my other instruments soon, the more obscure ones have been a little neglected this month).

Offline Lucien

« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2013, 08:09:19 AM »
Upright can be difficult to play. It generally doesn't get hugely difficult parts in most composition unless it's a solo or etude, or just one of those pieces where everyone gets a hard part. Intonation and tone are the real problems playing a bass. It's very easy to get out of tune (it's non-fretted duh). Tone is easier to get right, you just need to have good habits (DON'T POINT THE BOW AT THE FLOOR).

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #300 on: September 27, 2013, 10:53:38 AM »
I'm used to intonation problems, as I have a fretless, but I'm still a bit shit. (The fretless is the one with the black fingerboard).

Offline Lucien

« Reply #301 on: September 27, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »
My video is uploading at this very moment  ;D

I also did a bit of random crap the end. Upright bass can replace a Continuum, by the way.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #302 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
Excuse me while I squeal with excitement.

Offline Lucien

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #304 on: September 27, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »
I'll give it a listen after this Godspeed album finishes.

What cruel bastard gave that line to an upright? Also: nice use of DT in there.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:01:41 PM by Sketchy »

Offline Lucien

« Reply #305 on: October 23, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »
So, I just realized that I have an auxiliary adapter for the cord you plug your electric bass/keyboard/electric guitar into your amp with. AN AUXILIARY ADAPTER.

I have a microphone, an electric bass, and a keyboard I know I can do this with.

Next week I'll make some music with the assistance of my computer :caffeine:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #306 on: November 09, 2013, 07:45:11 AM »
Grrrr.   :angry:

Off to practice.  Praise band, we're playing in a fund-raising thing tomorrow which will suck because almost all of the conditions which were givens and were considered when we agreed to play have turned out to be crap.  No sound check.  There was supposed to be someone at least running sound, but no, we'll be doing it ourselves from on stage.  There was supposed to be microphones and P.A., but no, we're providing that ourselves and we don't even have enough for the whole band.  We're gonna go up there, we'll have ten minutes tops to set everything up, then play three songs.  There are ten area bands playing, and that's our slot.  We'll have no idea what it sounds like out there, and no way to fix anything anyway.

I don't even know if I enjoy playing in this band anymore.  I'm the "leader" just because I have the most experience, and can arrange tunes.  If the pastor asks us to play a certain song, some of the others might be able to find it on YouTube.  None of them would be able to just pick out their parts and learn them.  So I write up chord charts for the guitars, vocal charts for the singers, lead parts for the sax, flute, violin, whatever else I can work in to make it sound like something, learn my own part of course, and lead the rehearsals.  I'm the only one who knows how to do any of that.

The only reason I keep doing it is because it's all we have.  If I quit, not only would I be a quitter (again), but the band would completely disintegrate.  It's still my church, I'd still be going there, and everyone would know that Alpha is no more because Bob just didn't want to do it anymore.  It was too much work.  What a whiny baby.  So I keep doing it.  We actually suck, but people like hearing us, and the rest of the band likes doing it.  As long as I'm doing all the work.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #307 on: November 09, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »
Rehearsal was not a total disaster.  Actually, after working pretty hard on the vocals the other night (arrangements courtesy of yours truly), we dug up whatever P.A. we could find out of the closet, set it all up, and rehearsed with it.  It was not horrible.  If we can set up quickly tomorrow, and convince them to give us a few minutes just to check levels and stuff, we might be okay.  It's a fundraiser, so we're not getting paid (we never do) so they'll be getting their money's worth.  Actually, the people attending will have paid a $10 "contribution" so it would be nice if we sounded good for them.

It's not that I don't want to sound good.  A gig's a gig, and I'll be giving it all I have.  I'm just not overly optimistic.  All I can hope for is an audience that's not particularly demanding, and a lucky break on how the sound works out.  On stage, we're gonna sound about as good as we can.

I love show biz.   :yarr

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #308 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »
Apparently we didn't suck.  The sound was a little low, and people said it was kinda hard to hear the vocals, but what they did hear sounded really good.  I would make a remark about the relatively low standards of the audience, but that's pretty much a given.  We couldn't hear the monitor at all, so that meant that most of the singers didn't sing very loudly.  The old problem with not singing out because you can't hear yourself and don't know how you sound.  I think this is why people said they couldn't always hear the vocals.

Also, while moving things, the pedal for the piano fell and broke, but I didn't realize that until we set up and started playing, and I had no sustain pedal.  So I got to play the entire 3-song set doing the thing where you hold the keys down as much as possible while playing, to provide sustain.  So that was fun.

In total, 11 churches were involved in this fundraiser.  We raised a total of $5200, of which $3200 came from our church.  The main guy who set everything up and organized everything was from our church, three of the bands were from our church, and we gave well over half the money.  It's like no one else had any interest.  The reason why it was so poorly organized was because our guy was doing it all, and it was supposed to be a big group effort, but no one else helped out and he had no experience with this kind of thing.  Even the ushers and ticket-takers were all ours.  Where the heck were the people from the other churches?

Oh well.  We were a big part of raising over five grand for youth services in our area, people thought we were great, and our church is already asking if we're gonna play a Christmas gig again.  Looks like I keep doing this for a while.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #309 on: November 18, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »
Went and set up the recording gear for the first time in a while.

... It'd be nice to get "Watching" recorded this year...

Also, nice one Orbert. Hope it continues going well.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #310 on: November 18, 2013, 12:56:40 PM »
I love that feeling, the exciting feeling of setting up the gear for the first time in a while.  The anticipation.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »
I restrang and retuned the guzheng recently too, now that thing is sounding gorgeous, but during the restring, I did end up covered in blood (turns out the strings for that thing are sharp at the end). But yeah, getting gear back out is so damn fun.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #312 on: November 18, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
Damn, covered in blood just from setting up your gear!  Who says musicians don't sacrifice for their art?

Offline Lucien

« Reply #313 on: November 18, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
So using this awesome program called MuseScore, I'm slowly composing a 5 part suite, bookended by arrangements (No One at the Bridge by Rush, and a song from a slightly obscure video game that I love).

I'm working on the arrangements first, and I've currently finished the finale of the song.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
Another Christmas season, another Advent Pageant (fancy name for the Christmas play the kids do at the church).

This year, the play itself is not a musical, for the first time in many years.  Straight drama, but there will be some Christmas songs before and after, and we have a bunch of kids who can play instruments.  So they've asked me to whip up some kind of instrumental parts to "augment" the songs.  I'm thinking adding a countermelody here and there, and of course the old standby of letting a solo instrument play the intro.  Yay.

The new youth minister is pretty nuts, and she asked me if I could come up with some kind of prelude for the kids to play.  A challenge!  I've got a 4th grader who plays violin, a 7th grader who can play piano and viola, a 6th grader who plays percussion (including tuned percussion), an 8th grader who plays the flute, and another 8th grader who plays flute and electric bass.  Whoa.

Silent Night.  Marimba lays down a 3/4 pattern.  Violin comes in with the melody.  Viola comes in on the third strain with a "bass" line.  First verse finishes as a trio.  Flutes in harmony for the second verse, viola continues bass line, marimba line is simplified, violin echoes first two strains then wanders off into a countermelody/harmony thing.  Occassionally, the viola gets to do something interesting in the bottom, and once in a while things come together into a classic quartet, with the marimba as continuo. 

It's crazy because of the relatively limited skill levels of the kids, but Christmas music lends itself to that.  Simple parts, but if you play everything reasonably in tune, it will sound pretty nice.  Cooked most of it up in my head last night, wrote it up this morning, we rehearse it on Sunday.

I love show biz.  ♫♫