Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300727 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
Links, links!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »
I ordered a microphone, which will hopefully turn up soon, so I can start demoing ideas on the guzheng, and even better, it's so retro it hurts. (Yes, I did deliberately buy a microphone that sounds like a 1930s one, and I am massively excited about it). Also: orbert, that sounds pretty rad.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
So I've started uploading.

There are two categories so far, the first is a collection of my solo pianotracks (with the winter-ey path picture), the second is my 'album' of modern-like compositions, made in the last couple of years (with the street as a picture)
A third categorie is starting to unwind (with the farm-ey background), with old idea's, and my more pop/rock type demo's.

Here's a link to a video of mine. Please let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdmO2dJqqDs

https://www.youtube.com/user/joostniekus
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
Any recommendation of what to listen to first in both categories? What's your personal favourite?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »
As for piano pieces, I think Be Good is great. And my orchestral works... Time Flies is special to me, A Glimpse Of... gives me goosebumps, and both Fading and Faded are great for hours like these.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2013, 01:36:41 AM »
Cool, I'll have a listen tonight!

First though, a full day of practice ahead for the Mozart Requiem. This is going to be intense.
Squ

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2013, 12:02:39 PM »
Finally in a band again. It's out of my comfort zone (I'm a drummer, but I'm playing bass), but it's great to be playing with other people again.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2013, 05:58:48 AM »
I've been playing guitar for about thirty years not that anyone would notice;-) I also play bass drums piano and sing:-) I've played pro and for fun in bands orchestras and done studio work but not so much now I am married with kids:-) now I play covers with a couple of friends it's coming together only had four rehearsals and its shaping up nicely!! If anyone is interested you can hear our first few sessions on my YouTube channel tartarus250 imaginatively enough lol comments and song suggestions welcome:-)https://youtu.be/oAt2SozD6iE sorry forgot to post a link :-)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:05:26 AM by tartarus250 »
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2013, 06:18:42 AM »
Tonight, we will finally play Mozart's Requiem to honor the dead of World War II. 4th of May is the Dutch remembrance day and my study association traditionally performs a Requiem in a church. Together with 100 others, amateurs and professionals alike, we will play the Requiem to about 800 people, the maximum that will fit the church. I'm really looking forward to tonight, I'm singing bass by the way.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2013, 07:38:39 AM »
Fuck yeah bass! o/

I've already said that once already, but Mozart's Requiem is really beautiful. The only one that can kinda compete with that is Verdi, though it's a lot more bombastic, so I'm not always in the mood for it, and Brahms' Ein deutsches Requiem. I especially love the Lacrymosa.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »
Mozart's Requiem is awesome.  I saw a performance of it years ago at a local church, and it was pretty mind-blowing.  Despite singing in a choir for years, I'm not really a huge choral music fan, but some friends of ours were in it so we went, and I'm glad I did.

We did the Lacrymosa a couple of years ago.  Man, that's an intense piece.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2013, 08:50:31 AM »
Orbert: may I ask for tips on how to start learning/practicing on the flute? I've ordered a Xiao and a dizi for a project of mine, and I was just wondering if there's any adive you'd give for someone who's not learned a wind instrument before.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »
Winds are interesting.  Unlike a keyboard, where the note is just sitting there, waiting for you to play it, and you can play up to 10 (or more) notes at a time, should the occassion arise, you get to play one note at a time, and you get it by combination of what your ten fingers are doing simultaneously.

Okay, that the logistics, which I'm sure you understand.  The point is that, to me, it's much more similar to singing than to playing.  You might have the melody, you might have a harmony in an ensemble, or a supporting line of some kind, but you get that one note at a time, so you're "always soloing", everything you're got, you put into that one note.

As for the physical process, I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of instruction, but here's a video that teaches you pretty much everything you need to know.  It's pretty short, but the part you want starts at 0:54.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNfGyIW7aHM

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »
Ah, awesome, thanks.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »
I know it seems like a huge mountain to climb, but as soon as possible, get to the point where you are not thinking about your fingers.  If you read a note, then have to think about which keys to press, then play it, then read the next note, then think about which keys to press, etc., you'll never learn to make music.  You'll merely be playing the instrument, which isn't the same thing.

It has to get to the point where you see the dot on the paper and your fingers already know which ones go down and which ones come up.  Obviously this will take some time, but if you're a musician, you already know how to make music; you're just learning a new instrument.  When a guitarist plays, he's not thinking "third string, fifth fret, play; third string, fourth fret, play" -- he's thinking about the notes.  And eventually it's not even the notes, but the entire line at a time.

Practice, practice, practice.  Absorb the instrument.  Become the instrument.  It's the only way to make it happen.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #225 on: May 18, 2013, 11:45:56 PM »
Jammed at the Whisky with some friends a few months ago. Here's the video. We're not a band, just some friends jamming. Ignore the singing - the guy who sang isn't a singer, he was just a friend who wanted to help out cause we needed someone to sing. I'm on guitar. Fucked up a few times, but what can ya do? hahaha. (please no trolling about the singing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbRj-fLvrM
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2013, 11:03:46 AM »
The flutes turned up. So far I've not managed a note from the xiao, although my housemate did in a single attempt (he used to play clarinet, it turns out). I have managed some notes from the dizi, although they seem to also be able to summon confused-looking dogs.

My work mates found it funny I spent my lunch break in a disused car park trying to reliably get sound out of the dizi.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »
Obviously they're not musicians.  Musicians understand these things.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
I think it was more I was blowing a flute in a deserted area for half an hour. They're software engineers, they understand those things instead.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
A deserted area is the best place to practice, especially when you're new to the instrument.  I almost never practice at home if there's someone else home.  It bothers me knowing that someone else can hear me while I'm trying to work something out.  My wife and daughter tell me not to worry about it; it all sounds fine to them, or they just tune it out and turn the TV up a little bit.  That's not the point.  I know it's wrong.  I'll sit there and play something five times wrong in a row before my fingers finally get it, and I don't want anyone to hear that.

There's performance, but everything else is private.  At least that's how it is for me.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
Yeah, and as I'm still at the stage of "maybe it'll make a note... oh no, the membrane's come loose again", I quite like the not being heard. I don't mind so much when playing something I've been playing for a while, although I still really get uncomfortable when someone walks into the room when I'm playing, even though I do a pretty good job of ignoring them.

Oh, and then I pretend that there's no-one living in the flat below, although I'm quite aware the guy there can hear me when I play the zheng.

Offline adastra

« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2013, 12:43:12 AM »
Dear God! It amazes me how fast UPS/Finnish Postal service works!;

Last Sunday I bought guitar from Missouri. Today (Friday) the guitar has arrived at my local post office at Seinäjoki, Finland.
Fast!! O_O
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
Wow, there is also another DTFer from Seinäjoki! You and ? there, I should have to move there from this lazy Orimattila...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
my local post office at Seinäjoki, Finland.
You're from here too? :omg:

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
Dear God! It amazes me how fast UPS/Finnish Postal service works!;

Last Sunday I bought guitar from Missouri. Today (Friday) the guitar has arrived at my local post office at Seinäjoki, Finland.
Fast!! O_O

My friend has the version of that without the whammy. Good choice, that guitar does heavy pretty damn well, and is all round nice.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2013, 05:09:53 AM »
I play a bit of guitar, though I'm still very much a beginner. Otherwise I make music digitally, I've found some good software and a lot of plugins that sounds fairly authentic, and that's currently how I'm making my music. It's done digitally and it feels a bit cheap since it's plugins - sounding like real instruments, but at least it's a way for me to learn sounds and to make songs.

In the long run, I would love to go over to something with real instruments instead of plugins sounding like instruments. :P

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
I sometimes consider going that route.  I have real instruments, but my keyboards aren't exactly pro quality and while I love playing woodwinds, I'm just not that good at it.

But with software, I can create music and "play" it.  I can take my time, do whatever I want with the arrangements and instrumentation, and possibly come up with some pretty cool stuff.  The few times I tried it, though, it wasn't really satisfying.  I don't know; it all felt very artificial.  I'd composed the music, arranged it, everything, but it only existed as bits and bytes.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
I have written stuff in midi, but ultimately, I generally prefer to write it on physical instruments predominantly, partly as I like to see how other people take my ideas, meaning it comes out as something unexpected, and also the writing process largely feels more organic in a "this sounds pretty cool if I play it like this" way, rather than when I use midi, when it feels more of an academic exercise, where I usually end up overapplying theory and changing section just because it arbitrarily seemed like a good idea.

That said, there have been some things I've come up with in midi, including entire songs, which I have decided to actually work with properly, as I've liked the effect of that section/song/arrangement.

Offline adastra

« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2013, 01:35:03 AM »

Yeah O_O  I'm from Seinäjoki.
Originally I'm from Rovaniemi, but I came to work at Seinäjoki. Seinäjoki is the WORST PLACE EVER! :D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2013, 01:39:20 AM »

Originally I'm from Rovaniemi, but I came to work at Seinäjoki. Seinäjoki is the WORST PLACE EVER! :D

When Seinäjoki and DTF Unite  :D
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2013, 01:48:44 AM »

It is - I can't wait to get out of here :lol

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #241 on: June 03, 2013, 05:59:55 AM »

It is - I can't wait to get out of here :lol

Us finners slowly taking over this forum... Today we hit the studio to record drums!

- Tiko

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #242 on: June 03, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »
So Mrs. C's kid has been getting me to show him some things on guitar.  It gets me to thinking about how far I've come in 23 years.  I remember startng out, seeing sheet music and saying (for example) "No way, that can't be right, nobody could be jamming on this song and just hit a specific couple of strings amidst all the others and get it right, etc".  Now when I'm showing him the chords to Rock You Like a Hurricane, he's all "How am I supposed to just hit three strings and not the others?"  Suddenly, I'm 14 years old again, wondering the same thing.  Then I realize that now, I can pretty much hit pretty much whatever combination of strings I need to pick, without much thought.  2-string open chord?  Check.  3-string power chord?  Check.  Across the neck 6-string A chord?  Check.

Time and practice, pal.  The words NO 13 year old wants to hear.  I didn't want to hear it.  I look at my playing and realize that I've changed and tweaked and adapted the way I play to such an extent that if a beginner tried to emulate what I'm doing, it could be confusing, so I have to try to deconstruct all that and look at things from a beginner's perspective.  It isn't easy.

And with all of that practice and learning of new songs (lots and lots), over time, it has become easier to pick stuff up quickly on a 2nd-3rd listen, but it has been work to get there.  I never have to be the one that holds back band practice because I can't seem to learn a song that everyone else knows.  There have been many times at practice where everyone else knows a song that I don't know and I tell them to just go and I'll find a way to follow along.  It is something that I try never to take for granted.  The downside is that whenever I go see live bands now, I'm evaluating them from a musician's standpoint as opposed to a casual listener's standpoint, which is a huge difference.  It's hard to just sit back and enjoy a band when you're hearing every "mistake" that the average listener might not notice.  The plus side is that you also hear cool things they do that you're inspired to try yourself.

I'm not where I want to be and I probably never will be (is any musician ever as good as they want to be?), but when I look back to the frustrations and limitations and uphill climb I faced 23 years ago, and where I'm at now, it's hard not to be just a little proud of myself.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
I play upright bass (with a bow) and I intend to get a bass guitar soon. I haven't completely coordinated having for than one finger plucking at a time, so that will need to be worked on. (been playing for 6 years since I was 11, I'll be 17 this Saturday.)

I can sing, but I haven't had any formal anything about it and people tell me my singing sucks. I can remember almost any lyric I hear, however, and I do stay in tune.. My voice is just not pleasing to the ear when it comes to singing.

I'm barely learning how to play piano.

Intend to become a music major at Northwestern State University of Louisiana (*gulp*).

I jam, and I would soon like to record a jam or two of mine (upright bass with a bow only) so I can arrange some schtuff.

Someday, I will either: 1. become a music teacher 2. go into a band (I have several ideas about this), or 3. simply compose music and make money off of it, and write fiction (I'm actually a decent writer)

About whatever band I would create, I was thinking about having me (upright bass, bass guitar), another (vocals), another (bassoon), another (tuba), and another (timpani, bass drum), and we would all make crazy bass crap.
The name of the band would be The Lower End.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2013, 02:13:17 AM »
*rest of the story*

I'm not where I want to be and I probably never will be (is any musician ever as good as they want to be?), but when I look back to the frustrations and limitations and uphill climb I faced 23 years ago, and where I'm at now, it's hard not to be just a little proud of myself.

Ah, the wonders and joys of practicing! I can relate to pretty much all you said there, except I've been playing for considerably less than 23 years. I too am nowhere near where I want to be, but I have also found great joy and gratitude in teaching others to play. I used to coach bands of children aged 8-15 and teach them stuff on guitar. It was fun and teaching others always reminds you of the fact that you were once there too.
Squ