Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300616 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
I just quote the first two paragraphs of your post to my band, awesome post man!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
Thanks.  Playing music for people is what keeps me going in my old age.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2012, 05:08:15 AM »
I may have to take that same philosophy. Thanks Orbert.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »
I just applied for a flamenco guitar course! :)

Have wanted to for quite some time and I have a little experience with it already, but now I'm going to for real. This is going to be fun, starting for the very beginning again :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Met with Songbai, the pipa player, yesterday to talk music. She spent most of the time playing the guzheng (one of her friends borrowed hers about a year ago, and mine was casually sitting there).We discussed both the music she'll be playing and chinese music, and it turns out I haven't recruited a pipa player after all.

I've recruited another insane multi-instrumentalist, and she's also interested in my eventual project which will be heavily chinese based. Either way, it means that that project will have at least eight possible different instruments (possibly rising to twelve depending on what each of us have got by then) and there are only two of us in that project yet. But yeah, she may also be a second keys player for us, as well as dizi, xiao, erhu and another guzheng player.

Excitement.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2012, 10:59:49 PM »
So, we played the Christmas Medley today during the service, and I recorded it on my ancient video camera mounted on a tripod in the balcony, 100 miles away.  Audio isn't too bad because the acoustics in our sanctuary are pretty awesome, but video is pretty horrible because of the distance, plus the fact that Facebook munges your video down for bandwidth purposes.

Click!

Left to Right:  Dan and Dusty on Guitar, Me and Debbie Jo on Flute, Michael on Violin, Nancy on Piano, Brian on Soprano Sax.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »
Hey Orby, I know you'r a church keyboardist...........so does that mean you can do awesome dark crazy church organ stuff?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
Man, church organ is tough.  I'm okay with doing two or three things with my hands, but once you get the feet involved, things get out of control very quickly.  I pretty much have to put my hands on autopilot so I can concentrate on what my feet are doing.  I just don't have it down, don't have the hundreds of hours of playing to where they can do their own thing.  I have keys to the church, but the organ itself is locked up when the organist isn't there, so I can't sneak in there and practice, either (I tried it).

Online Adami

« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »
Man, church organ is tough.  I'm okay with doing two or three things with my hands, but once you get the feet involved, things get out of control very quickly.  I pretty much have to put my hands on autopilot so I can concentrate on what my feet are doing.  I just don't have it down, don't have the hundreds of hours of playing to where they can do their own thing.  I have keys to the church, but the organ itself is locked up when the organist isn't there, so I can't sneak in there and practice, either (I tried it).

Woah woah, didn't mean THAT crazy lol. I just might actually need you. The next song I'm going to work on is going to have a church organ intro. I was going to write the melody, but am not enough of a keyboardist to put interesting church style chords and stuff behind it. I might not need it, but if I do, do you have any pro-tools midi recording ability?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
Sadly, I do not.

Online Adami

« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
Sadly, I do not.

WELL THEN WHAT GOOD ARE YOU?!?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
I have often asked myself the same question.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
Anybody else spending the time off during the holidays for lots of practising?
Squ

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Not me.  I had last week off (and yesterday and today), but did a bunch of singing and playing at church, so I did more playing than practising.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
Ok, so I've looked up the Liang Zhu violin concerto (unfortunately could only get piano and violin version) as I want to understand how chinese music is put together, so I can write things for Songbai, our Chinese multi-instrumentalist (pipa, guzheng, dizi, xiao, erhu and also keyboards) as she's not currently comfortable with improvising.

As a result, I've found a couple of things. First, as I learned electronic keyboards and wasn't overly good, as opposed to piano, and also because I find it vastly easier to play from memory, I have found I don't understand a few of the notation devices. Most notably is the rest with a dot and crescent on top. I am probably very much mistaken as it's five years since I last closely used sheet, but dot and crescent rings a bell as being staccato. That or the other thing that comes to mind is that it's some sort of volumey thing. Now, I don't know about you, but I have never heard anyone comment on how amazingly impressive the dynamics of a rest were. I would very much appreciate correction so I can understand what the hell this notation on the rest means.

Second: finding the full orchestral score is a bitch, and if anyone knows where I can find it, I'll be greatly appreciative.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »
A dot and crescent?  Surely you don't mean a fermata, do you?

A fermata over a rest means the same thing as it does over a note, that it's held for a relatively long, yet unspecified amount of time.

Edit: changed "specified" to "unspecified"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:52:26 PM by Orbert »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2013, 06:36:25 PM »
Don't you mean unspecified? It just makes the note over which the fermata is placed 'longer', but it doesn't tell you how much longer. It's a feeling-thing, just drag it out a little, but not too much.
Squ

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »
Argh.  Yes, I meant unspecified.

It's a feeling thing for sure, unless you're in an ensemble with a conductor, in which case you follow the conductor.  That's the only time I've seen fermatas over rests.  One of more other parts are holding a note, but you're not playing, so you have a fermata over a rest while they have one over the actual notes they're holding.

Online Adami

« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:26 PM »
So I'm writing/recording epic soundtrack music.

This is a first for me and I have no idea if what I'm doing is any good. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
The best soundtracks "interact" with what's happening on screen.  I like it when specific things happen musically that underscore visual things.

Other than that, as long as the music sounds good and fits the mood of the scene, etc., I usually like it.

Online Adami

« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2013, 09:33:44 PM »
The best soundtracks "interact" with what's happening on screen.  I like it when specific things happen musically that underscore visual things.

Other than that, as long as the music sounds good and fits the mood of the scene, etc., I usually like it.

Well my soundtrack is to a comic book haha. I figure this way there's a visual story with which I can connect, but there's not already a sound track to throw me off.

And I do interact them, actually I go a step further. I am using the music to tell the story.

For instance. The comic I'm doing is from the X-Men. And the first song is called M-Day based on....well....M-Day. At the end of M-Day the mutant population goes from about a million to 200. So to signify that I ended the song played a big epic version of what I call the mutant theme and then end it with playing the same thing on a lone piano to signify the immense drop in population. I do that kind of stuff with all of it. Still hard since I barely know how to play keyboards and I'm doing everything on keys.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »
Sounds like you've chosen a pretty good challenge for yourself, especially for something you've never done before.  Good luck!

Online Adami

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »
Thanks!

Once I re-work the cable and hope themes, I'll put the online in a few days. Maybe some of you guys can take a listen and let me know if I'm even doing a remotely okay job?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2013, 03:00:01 AM »
Aaaaah, thanks. That explains why I never came across it, as almost all of my lessons were on electronic keyboard rather than piano, so I was always dealing with a constant backing rhythm rather than unspecified note holdings.

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2013, 05:05:06 AM »
Hi guys, I'm a guitarrist and lead vocals in my band is called Bulprick. We're kinda Heavy/Thrash/ Metal but we do much more than that, right now we have 2 tunes that are considered Progressive Metal. Check it out

https://soundcloud.com/bulprick

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2013, 06:13:50 AM »
Thanks!

Once I re-work the cable and hope themes, I'll put the online in a few days. Maybe some of you guys can take a listen and let me know if I'm even doing a remotely okay job?

I'll be interested in that. I like soundtracks where you can tell the composer has put effort into matching it to the story, in using specific variations of themes, or in the orchestration.

I'm just getting back into some music stuff myself for the first time since upgrading to Windows 7 (using VSTis), and for some reason my ASIO driver cuts off all other audio on my computer. The sound works perfectly in my music program, but then everything else, such as my music player, cuts off, so I can't listen to any other music, which makes it impossible to actually do anything.
I'm not sure whether it's to do with the hardware or the software, but I don't know how to use any other programs to try instead.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »
Okay, here it is. Be kind please. But since I clearly have low self esteem I'll do the whole listing what's wrong with it so you needn't.

1. It's crappy orchestral sounds, sorry.
2. It's literally my first time doing this type of music.
3. I'm not a kangaroo.
4. If some of the transitions seem odd, keep in mind it's supposed to act like a complimentary piece to a comic that I doubt any of you have read.

https://soundcloud.com/adamigordon/sets/messiah-complex
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2013, 12:26:34 AM »
Those orchestral sounds weren't bad. Still a big improvement over stock MIDI. :tup

I really liked it once it kicked in at the 2 minute mark, but I feel like it needed more low end, like the double bass or some tuba.
And I liked the piano at the end, but if that's going to be the very end of the song, I feel like the tempo should be a bit more free-time and slow down a bit. Maybe just play it live without any click instead of programming it?

I'm not experienced with this kind of music at all, but those were just my thoughts upon listening to it.

Online Adami

« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »
Those orchestral sounds weren't bad. Still a big improvement over stock MIDI. :tup

I really liked it once it kicked in at the 2 minute mark, but I feel like it needed more low end, like the double bass or some tuba.
And I liked the piano at the end, but if that's going to be the very end of the song, I feel like the tempo should be a bit more free-time and slow down a bit. Maybe just play it live without any click instead of programming it?

I'm not experienced with this kind of music at all, but those were just my thoughts upon listening to it.

It has a good amount of low end, but you're listening to a compressed MP3 for obvious reasons.

And I totally hear you about the piano piece at the end being off from the click, maybe I'll give that a try.

And none of it is programmed. The closest I got to programming is playing arpeggios in one key and instead of learning it in another, I just shift it or something similar.

I wouldn't even know how to program an actual song. Playing is a lot easier.

And did you listen to just M Day or Birth of Hope and War on Three Fronts as well?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:36:10 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2013, 01:11:03 AM »
I only listened to M Day, but I'll listen to the rest right now. (I also forgot that I'm listening to music outside of my music player without my EQ, and my headphones have balls bass without the EQ, so that's probably why I didn't hear the low end).

I really liked War on Three Fronts. I don't have anything constructive to add there. And the only comment I have for Birth of Hope is that because of the 5/8 time sig, I had a bit of trouble grasping the rhythm of the unaccompanied intro on first listen. That might not be an issue for people listening to it as a "score", although listening to it isolated, I thought I'd mention it.

Online Adami

« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2013, 01:16:30 AM »
Yea, the 5/8 part was kind of odd, but overall I liked it. Gave it a sense of uneasiness. Since its supposed to represent a decimated population with no sense of hope.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2013, 07:24:02 AM »
I like all of it.  It sounds like soundtrack music.  Music which is good enough to be listened to as one might listen to an orchestral work, but which is really meant to underscore something else, something visual.  I found that it often evoked visual imagery, just based on the title and the music itself.

You have a great feel for orchestration.  The way the strings, winds, brass, and percussion complement each other and work together is great, and no less than what I would expect from a more experience soundtrack writer.

That piano bit at the end of "M Day" was fine.  It reprised the theme in a completely different way.  There was definitely a contrast to it, a "this is the end" or "this is where we are afterward" feeling to it.

The 5/8 starting off "Messiah Complex" was neat.  Different.  I like how the theme was played without rhythm and the meter wasn't obvious right away, kinda the same thing that Blob had trouble with, I guess.  Then it changed, which was nice, rather than fall into the cliché of adding a countermelody or simply adding rhythm while repeating the theme.

"War on Three Fronts" was pretty kickass.  Sounded like a great war soundtrack.  I love when the "choir" comes in.  That dramatic effect.  Okay, it's probably overused in general, but it's practically expected in soundtrack music of this type, and there isn't too much of it, which is good.

Bravo!  I could never write stuff like this.  Well maybe, but I'd never have the time to devote to it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »
So, do we have any singers here on DTF who have the means to record themselves? I'm messing around with putting a sort of cover song together for a project I'm thinking about, and I can't do the vocals myself, and it would require a pretty decent vocal range (up to a C#5 ideally, although a B4 would suffice).
Just thought I'd ask around and see if we've got anyone who might be able to help out.

Online Adami

« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
I like all of it.  It sounds like soundtrack music.  Music which is good enough to be listened to as one might listen to an orchestral work, but which is really meant to underscore something else, something visual.  I found that it often evoked visual imagery, just based on the title and the music itself.

You have a great feel for orchestration.  The way the strings, winds, brass, and percussion complement each other and work together is great, and no less than what I would expect from a more experience soundtrack writer.

That piano bit at the end of "M Day" was fine.  It reprised the theme in a completely different way.  There was definitely a contrast to it, a "this is the end" or "this is where we are afterward" feeling to it.

The 5/8 starting off "Messiah Complex" was neat.  Different.  I like how the theme was played without rhythm and the meter wasn't obvious right away, kinda the same thing that Blob had trouble with, I guess.  Then it changed, which was nice, rather than fall into the cliché of adding a countermelody or simply adding rhythm while repeating the theme.

"War on Three Fronts" was pretty kickass.  Sounded like a great war soundtrack.  I love when the "choir" comes in.  That dramatic effect.  Okay, it's probably overused in general, but it's practically expected in soundtrack music of this type, and there isn't too much of it, which is good.

Bravo!  I could never write stuff like this.  Well maybe, but I'd never have the time to devote to it.

Wow dude, thanks!

....I kinda want to hug you now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »
I'll consider myself hugged.