Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 119974 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1785 on: August 18, 2019, 06:29:23 PM »
There's a "Post of video of you playing" thread but not a "picture" thread.  I only ever seem to get pictures of me playing something, probably because that's pretty much all I do.  I try not to post too many in the picture thread in General Discussion because normal people post there.

Ruben (bass) was in my very first band, back in effin' junior high, 45 years ago.  He has a cute sister named Linda, who married Greg (guitar, vocals).  Dave (drums) jumped in, and they were doing "Going Up The Country" by Canned Heat which has the flute in it, so I joined them.  Ending up playing about half the set with them, mostly on keyboards though.

Offline Lax

• My "career" fb page
« Reply #1786 on: September 02, 2019, 01:28:24 AM »
Will not saturate the topic either but here my latest gig (june 21th)

I have left the band at the end of july, I'm now searching for the next project ^^
Plus preparing my wife's sister wedding little gig (playing some of her favorite tunes with my wife and a pianist friend) next june
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1787 on: September 15, 2019, 07:25:32 PM »
Nice Marvel shirt!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1788 on: September 15, 2019, 07:33:51 PM »
So this morning was a fun gig, another one of my crazy arrangements.  The Beatles "All You Need Is Love" except we don't have a brass band, but we do have a violin, flute, and melodica.  So we were both the horn section and the string section.  I also whipped up charts for guitar and piano, plus a lead singer and the choir doing background vocals ("Love, love, love" and the "ahs" during the verse).  Tim usually plays guitar but he jumped on bass.  By time we got to the last chorus and the whole place was singing, it sounded pretty cool.

Steve (guitar), Tim (bass), Jonah (lead vocal), Mijin (piano), Amy (flute), Orbert (melodica), Michael (violin).  Shirley conducting the choir and leading the congregation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1789 on: October 18, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
That's cool!  At my previous church (a couple of years ago), we did All You Need Is Love as well, but just with our normal praise team.

That was part of a sermon series that our pastor did where he would talk about themes from pop songs.  During that month, we also did Stuck in the Middle With You and Show Me the Way (Styx).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1790 on: October 18, 2019, 11:57:42 AM »
The Beatles have a bunch of songs with great, positive messages.  We've done "All You Need Is Love" a couple of different ways now, "Let It Be", "Got To Get You Into My Life", "Birthday" (on Pentacost Sunday, of course), plus "Give Me Love" and "My Sweet Lord" by George and "Imagine" by John.  There might be some I'm forgetting.  I love arranging music, the very act of taking a song and figuring out what parts play what so that they combine and do the coolest shit possible.  Like an aural jigsaw puzzle.  And people seem to like what I come up with, they keep asking me to do it, so it works out well.

When I did the regular praise band thing for a while, we'd work in pop songs when we could.  "The Power Of Love" by Huey Lewis, "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus (don't laugh it's a great song) and maybe a few others.  Our WL also wrote originals and we did a few of his songs.  They were right there with the Chris Tomlin and Phil Wickham tunes.  Good times.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1791 on: November 10, 2019, 05:58:22 PM »
Changed guitar strings for the first time in at least a decade today, forgot how much of a pain in the ass it is.
Photobucket sucks.