Author Topic: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?  (Read 27180 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
You know, I don't think it's a cultural thing at all.  I think it's the style of game. 

There is baseball in other countries and yet it's not as big as it is in America and Japan ect....  because of the down time between pitches and the speed of the game.  I've heard that a lot from my Euro friends before. 

I can equate it to Nascar racing in the states.  I am no fan Nascar but there is strategy to it that appeals to some and I think that applies to American football.  And yes I do understand that there is strategy in all sports but to some, it's a personal interest is certain styles.

Whereas many others would say of Nascar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVdFJIEk5wY
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
 :lol

I can do that watching football too! :lol

And I do!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
Um, football isn't clunky at all. It's completely fluid. People who say that have never seen a good play sequence.

Just because there is occasionally a good play sequence doesn't mean it isn't clunky the rest of the time. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »
Um, football isn't clunky at all. It's completely fluid. People who say that have never seen a good play sequence.

Just because there is occasionally a good play sequence doesn't mean it isn't clunky the rest of the time.

"occasionally".

Watch a good team.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
I've been watching football all my life.  My dad is a huge fan who tried very hard to get me and my brother into the sport.  Also two of my best friends growing up both played the sport, so I watched their games and they constantly wanted me to watch it with them on TV.  Don't assume I've never seen it just because I disagree with you.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »
The only time I watch football during the year is the Superbowl.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
I've been watching football all my life.  My dad is a huge fan who tried very hard to get me and my brother into the sport.  Also two of my best friends growing up both played the sport, so I watched their games and they constantly wanted me to watch it with them on TV.  Don't assume I've never seen it just because I disagree with you.   :lol

Stop it.  All sports have these moments.  The are clunky games in all sports.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2012, 08:31:23 AM »
I agree, but it's my honest opinion that football has more than its fair share, and that even at its best it still isn't 'completely fluid.' 

Sorry, I know I'm being a buzzkill, but I've often asked myself why the sport is so popular in America, not why it isn't more popular elsewhere.  *shrug*
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Cable

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »
Right...so what name would you invent?

Well, considering I think the sport is boring as paste to watch, I doubt it'd ever be on my shoulders to come up with a new name for it.  For all I care, just call it Gridiron. 

I maintain this is what it should be called.

I agree, but it's my honest opinion that football has more than its fair share, and that even at its best it still isn't 'completely fluid.' 

Sorry, I know I'm being a buzzkill, but I've often asked myself why the sport is so popular in America, not why it isn't more popular elsewhere.  *shrug*

Not the only reason, and American football trying to expand in other countries is a bit like spreading yet more American imperialism IMO. But the sport as others have said need A LOT of people for pick-up games. That, and it is expensive to play (number two to ice hockey?) Soccer, or real football is extremely easy to organize and cheap to play (a ball only is needed). This is why I maintain real football will always be a huge global game, because so many various backgrounded individuals can participate.
---

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »
Because football is fucking stupid, and the pro players are the least intelligent, most overpaid douches in all of pro sports
Are they less intelligent than this post?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
Then it's more of a personal thing and I get that 100%

To each his/her own.  It's just like music.  It's all subjective.  One person see a chess game and other see no worth to it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
Then it's more of a personal thing and I get that 100%

To each his/her own.  It's just like music.  It's all subjective.  One person see a chess game and other see no worth to it.

This is the only way I see it, a matter personal and cultural taste. I never enjoyed soccer until I worked with Mexicans every day, if I wanted to be part of the conversation, I had to learn the talk. Now we teach each other our respective sports.

Arriba los Xolos de Tiujana!!!!!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
- The sport is extremely complex, it has too many complicated rules, and it's just not appealing to watch for an person who's not familiar with it. Imagine a 15-year old girl who watches tennis just because she's in love with Roger Federer. Even though she may not know the details about the scoring and the tie-break rules, she can still follow the game, and have a very good idea of what's going on (ball out, ball in, simple as that). The same happens with soccer: I know many people who are only interested in games that are big (World Cup finals, national team's games, etc.) and watch only 2-3 games per year, but they can still get excited and follow the game. They know what's going on.

I feel like this matters more than I originally realized.  I think back and realize that I was basically raised on Football.  I have a friend who got into Football in his late teens, and the reason he was able to do this is because he used Madden to teach himself the game.

- The slow pace and constant interruptions also detract the uninitiated from watching it.

I still don't get this.  For me, the stops between plays were opportunities to ask my parents what just happened so I could understand next time.

- It's difficult to expand it to other parts of the world simply because it's an expensive sport, which requires a lot of resources accessible only to people with high income. Being an American, you may not think of this as a big factor, but if you were from almost any other country you'll see my point. Parents and schools cannot afford all the necessary equipment, not to mention the fields with all the specifications. The games need  to we timed acurrately, and such systems require technology  not accesible everywhere. Compare this to football: you only need a ball to feel you're playing the real thing, while playing a dumbed-down version of American football like ultimate football is not attractive at all.

Good point.

- Unlike other many sports that are reasonably safe (not only tennis but even football or basketball, contact sports where almost any form of violence is against the rules), you need to significantly commit your physical well-being in order to play it. Not many people is willing to make that commitment. Small, thin guys are already discarded. Women won't play it. Seniors say guacala. 6-year olds won't get permission form their moms (I think that even in the United States many moms don't like their children playing it). If you think about it, only a small fraction of the population has the physical condition (being big enough) and mental condition (enjoying getting beat enough) to play it. On the other hand, a 4'6 kid playing football against a 6'0 guy is the most natural thing in the world, short stature is not an obstacle to being good at it. My dad is 62 and he still plays football in a competitive league for veterans. A 5-year old can get permission to play and enjoy the game. We have girl's football teams everywhere that don't require putting lingerie on.

The part about the physical risk of the game is important.  In elementary schools in this country, flag football instead of tackle football is apparently becoming more common.

The part where you talk about the equal opportunity nature of Soccer is interesting though.  I feel like there's an implied undercurrent to your argument that says "In Football, you have to be able to meet certain standards.  In soccer you don't.  Everyone can play!"  If your mindset is more collectivist, this is probably more innately appealing, as opposed to America which is at least ostensibly more individualistic.  (Not judging either for the sake of this thread, just pointing out how mentalities influence other things).

Heck, after writing this, I've realized the real question is why is American football popular in America. The rest of the world doesn't care about it, and it has every reason for that.

Football is intellectually and viscerally entertaining.  There is no part of your brain that isn't engaged while watching Football.

This clip says a fair bit about the perspective of other cultures of American sport and in a lot of ways of American culture in general. Though to be honest, Stephen Fry was trying to create a positive image of America on this show, so he sugarcoats a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cl-f8NABMM

Maybe this is what really matters.  When the Jets flew over, all I could think was "God, America is awesome."

There have been two, maybe three occasions in my life where American football's on TV and I spend fifteen minutes watching and trying to make sense of things and give a shit.

Well......

Reapsta, it kind of says it all that you're trying to pass off the extreme complexity of the game and the amount of downtime during the game as a good thing.

Normally, I feel like I'm insane when I argue these things.  But in this case, I know I'm not.  It's not like Football is some marginally popular thing, and I'm explaining why the play stoppages are only theoretically part of the appeal.  I've watched Football with other human beings, and I know for a fact that the play stoppages are crucial to the viewing experience.  During parts of the game where there are fewer stoppages of play (no huddle comeback drives at the end of games for example), the game becomes a completely emotional and primal experience.  But the human brain can't watch a sporting event this way for 3 hours.  The play stoppages are chances to breathe and digest during the game.  And to socialize.  It's totally gotten a bit out of hand because of the commercials, but the natural stops in the game are good for it.

the game offers them very little opportunity to display talent, and at the end of the day, watching athletes display talent is what makes sport entertaining, to me, at least.

Mmmm?  Every play inevitably features at least one borderline super human act.

This is why I've never understood the argument that American football is more of a "coach's sport" than most other sports and less of a "player's sport", and that that's somehow a good thing.  I don't watch sports to see two coaches match wits while a bunch of players stand around doing fuck all. I watch sports to see two coaches match wits within a game system in which athletes can actually perform. If a sport is written in a way that I can't turn on the TV and rely on seeing players doing that, on a minute for minute, or even second for second basis, why would I watch it? 

- I can't think of a sport where the coaches have a bigger role than in Football.

- It's a good thing because it means that every play, no matter how interesting, has a level of overall strategic depth to it that no other sport has.  The beauty of Football is the way 11 different players are acting in concert to achieve a result, and seeing if the play succeeds or fails.  This is actually impossible in other sports because of the level of improvisation.  There's a reason stars matter in Hockey, Basketball, and Soccer moreso than they do in Football, because the team aspect of those games is less important.  The regimentation of Football means that every member of the team, from the quarterback to the right guard, is crucial.  In Basketball, you can have a bad player on the court to simply absorb a defender while your star player makes things happen.  In Football, a bad player potentially ruins everything.

- I don't feel like you're appreciating the level of split-second decision making that goes on in the game.  Partially this is because they don't really show the defensive backfield on TV, which is the NFL's fault.  But I don't see how you can't appreciate how hard it is to be an NFL QB.  I can't think of a more difficult job in any professional sport.

That doesn't make it pansy, it makes it fundamentally negligent. Why should any sport be written in a way that if you aren't wearing an insane amount of padding, your life is at threat? Especially where all you're doing is running a ball towards a line and your only obstacle is other human beings.

Not-so-coincidentally, safety in Football is becoming a huge deal in this country.  I expect/hope this will pay off in better protection for the players.

But also, people make choices.  No one is forced to play Football.  I think it's a good thing that people are now better understanding the neurological effects of the game.  Uninformed choices aren't really choices.  But if you know the risks and still decide to play, that's on you.

Not to mention that people wearing massive padding are limited in what they can do, and thus in its current form, we're seeing a diluted version of what those athletes could do were the sport written properly and they weren't wearing cushioned space suits from the waist up.

I also feel less inclined to watch a sport where I can't recognise, and thus can't really empathise with, the people underneath cushioned space suits. A fairly vital human element is gone.

Both of these arguments are completely valid.  They're why I've started watching Basketball in addition to Football.  It's a different experience.

I feel like Football is more like Gladiatorial combat in a Roman Colosseum though.  It's like watching miniature armies marching up and down a battlefield.  The fact the people mask up is actually part of the aesthetic.  Remember - a lot of watching sports is following them outside the game.  I know what Michael Vick looks like.  The helmet in the game doesn't take from the experience.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
Totally agree on being a qb as the hardest job in sports. Athleticism, speed, intelligence ate all needed. In a span of ten seconds, he must discect a defense, analyze if his offense is executing properley, track up to four receivers and as many befensive backs, so as to make the right throw,all while waiting for a 250lb freight train to fucking plaster him from the blindside at full speed.

Then get 35 seconds to get ready to do it again.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »
How is football intellectually stimulating?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2012, 10:02:45 AM »

Let me try to contextualize what you just said.

You write a lot about big action movies on your blog.  You talk about their quality as if they were serious movies and you analyze the subtext they carry with them.  Now, imagine someone said to you - "How is an action movie anything more than people just punching each other?"

You'd find this question absurd, wouldn't you?  You also wouldn't know how to explain it.  You'd probably also feel mildly offended at the notion that you should have to.  The interesting qualities of action movies seem self-evident.
Over and over again

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
Exactly. People have different tastes, and sports isn't any different. The reason soccer and football are popular and not in places is the perpetuation of the culture. It's been this way for years. People grow up with their respective popular sports. A majority people will continue to follow them because of that.

Offline Cable

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »

The play book for one can has hundreds upon hundreds of variations, movement and formations (thus why playing QB in *most* systems requires a high level of intelligence). These plays can be changed based on the many different looks a defense may give an offense. Probably the second hardest intellectual position to play is an offensive lineman, which are considering the ogre grunts to many.

How many WRs do you have? Where do they line up? How do they line up? Any TE's? How many? RBs? How many, where? These factors change on virtually EVERY PLAY.

What is the defense showing? How many DBs do they have? Are they playing man or zone coverage? Are the blitzing? How many do you think will drop into coverage?
There are many situations and factors evident on every play, at different points of games.

An offense at its core is run or pass; but there are so many different ways and reasons to do so.
The things I mentioned are just on the offense side and perspective.

There is a reason why many american football coaches are war history buffs. There are some analogies, and a lot goes into every move in just the game. NFL head coaches notoriously work at least 100 hours per week.

Now, I have no idea how this game CANNOT be considering intellectually stimulating. The things mentioned are the exact reasons why I basically only follow pro football for my sport watching. I do not like seeing people get smashed and violence; I love the challenge of each play and everything behind it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:45:56 AM by CableX 1814 »
---

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
Alright, well my apologies because I didn't know. :) All I've ever seen is the stuff on TV, with the guys yelling "Hike!" and promptly clobbering each other.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
In reality it is more that than the romanticizing in the previous two posts, but you could do that with any sport.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
sorry if i offended, i was more blunt than i intended. just IMO, from what i've seen of football, the players tend to be less intelligent and more thug-like than in any other major sport in america.  that doesnt make them all bad or worthless people, but i feel like with baseball your players are more likely to have had a good education, and speak like a normal person in an interview (again, generalizing).  and considering how overpaid most athletes are, the fact with football it's people with more muscle than brain are getting paid that much, it's kind of disturbing how much our country idolizes these players like celebrities.  Part of the problem is the fans too, I'm in norcal and have to deal with raider fans, the whole mentality of these over the top football fans can just be too much to handle for me.
Again, i'm sorry if my previous post was offensive or rude to anyone, i wasnt able to type much so i kinda over-generalized my point.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »
You still are generalizing that all football players are dumb and that all fans are over the top, and that all baseball players are intelligent which is so far from the truth.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
During parts of the game where there are fewer stoppages of play (no huddle comeback drives at the end of games for example), the game becomes a completely emotional and primal experience.

You know, I think it's worth dwelling on this point for a moment - the most exciting part of a football game is when they throw coaching and strategy out the window and just try to get the damn ball into the end zone. 

They're behind and trying to come back in the last minute or so, and they try to run the ball out of bounds every play so they can stop the clock and get a chance to breathe, but if they fail, if they get tackled before they get a chance to stop the clock, well, shit, the whole team just lines up and charges right on ahead again, no pause for thought, no stoppage, just do whatever the hell you have to do in the moment to score. 

That's the thing for me.  You can talk about coaching and strategy all you want, and I respect that it does take skill and is an important part of the game, but my favorite part is when they give the ball to someone and he runs like a maniac, juking and dodging tackles, flying past or over blockers, and making a 50 yard touchdown. 

And to me, it says something about the sport that the most exciting moments are when they break away from the regular format. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
During parts of the game where there are fewer stoppages of play (no huddle comeback drives at the end of games for example), the game becomes a completely emotional and primal experience.

You know, I think it's worth dwelling on this point for a moment - the most exciting part of a football game is when they throw coaching and strategy out the window and just try to get the damn ball into the end zone. 

They're behind and trying to come back in the last minute or so, and they try to run the ball out of bounds every play so they can stop the clock and get a chance to breathe, but if they fail, if they get tackled before they get a chance to stop the clock, well, shit, the whole team just lines up and charges right on ahead again, no pause for thought, no stoppage, just do whatever the hell you have to do in the moment to score. 

That's the thing for me.  You can talk about coaching and strategy all you want, and I respect that it does take skill and is an important part of the game, but my favorite part is when they give the ball to someone and he runs like a maniac, juking and dodging tackles, flying past or over blockers, and making a 50 yard touchdown. 

And to me, it says something about the sport that the most exciting moments are when they break away from the regular format.

Again your taking this from one fan.  I have been a season ticket holder for the N.E. Patriots since 1986, (I was 17 at the time)and I don't believe that statement to be true at all. 

It's the same old saying for the casual fan that says in any sport that, "All I really need is to watch the last 5 minutes of the game."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »
In reality it is more that than the romanticizing in the previous two posts, but you could do that with any sport.

Dude, believe me, CableX's post actually widly understates how complex Football is.  I don't understand it.  I was listening to a conversation between Bill Simmons and a football analyst.  The Football analyst said that because of the new coach's tape, this will be the first year sportswriters will truly be able to see the defensive backfield and understand the game.

That's not what happens when you are running a two minute drill.  At that point, being a great strategist matters the most because you have to make decisions quickly.

This is why great quarterbacks matter.  If you have someone like Peyton Manning on your team who can call his own plays and do it well, your team is at a huge advantage.

Which usually happens because a good play was called to get them open.

The whole game can't be a 2 minute drill though.  The 2 minute drill is exciting because of the context within which it exists. 

You wouldn't make a movie that was all action sequences, would you?  Even the Transformers movies have breaks.  It's about ebb and flow, which Football has.

It's the same old saying for the casual fan that says in any sport that, "All I really need is to watch the last 5 minutes of the game."

True.  Basketball for example is way more fascinating if you appreciate the emotional flow of a whole game.
Over and over again

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »
Again your taking this from one fan.  I have been a season ticket holder for the N.E. Patriots since 1986, (I was 17 at the time)and I don't believe that statement to be true at all. 

Well, fair enough, but all I'm really doing is offering my perspective.  Watching them try to slowly and methodically drive the ball down the field to get it into touchdown range, no matter how much skill or strategy it might involve, just isn't fun to watch for me.  When I watch football, I always feel like I'm just waiting for something interesting to happen. 

You wouldn't make a movie that was all action sequences, would you? 

First of all, if you think of sports as being comparable to movies, we will never be on the same page on this one.

Second of all, no, I wouldn't make a movie that was all action sequences, but if I'm watching a movie and the only parts exciting me are the action sequences, I consider it a poor movie.

Thirdly, I also wouldn't make a movie where there's a brief intermission after each scene to give the audience a chance to rest and socialize.  I understand that the coaches need the stoppages to plan and the players need the stoppages to catch their breath, but you will never convince me that I, as a viewer, should appreciate the stoppages.  Because of the breaks between plays, it really does feel to me like watching fragmented bits of excitement broken up by pauses at regular intervals.

(Just to clarify, I'm not trying to change anyone else's opinion, I'm just explaining mine.)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
First of all, if you think of sports as being comparable to movies, we will never be on the same page on this one.

Which is fine, but virtually all sports fans view the games as reality television more so than sporting events.  Football games, like movies have three acts (1st Quarter, 2nd/3rd Quarter, 4th Quarter) and the commentators go to great pains to emphasize the storylines before and during the games.  The sports business is ultimately a form of entertainment.

Second of all, no, I wouldn't make a movie that was all action sequences, but if I'm watching a movie and the only parts exciting me are the action sequences, I consider it a poor movie.

True.

Thirdly, I also wouldn't make a movie where there's a brief intermission after each scene to give the audience a chance to rest and socialize.  I understand that the coaches need the stoppages to plan and the players need the stoppages to catch their breath, but you will never convince me that I, as a viewer, should appreciate the stoppages.  Because of the breaks between plays, it really does feel to me like watching fragmented bits of excitement broken up by pauses at regular intervals.

If you really like the continuous experience, I can't say you're wrong.  I hate foul calls in Basketball because they break up the action.  Especially when the refs try to "control the game" and it becomes almost torturous.

But Football's different.  The stoppages are part of the excitement.  It's fun after every play to turn to the person next to you and say "Oh my god, he just didn't see that coming.  He was so fixated on trying to find a receiver that he was just killed."  Stuff like that.  It puts the next play into a more defined context and actually makes it more exciting.  "They have to pass on this third and 10, but he hasn't thrown the ball well at all this whole game.  Maybe if they just call a short passing play and hope the receiver can run five yards afterwards."  This can't really happen in the other sports because there's no time to talk about it.
Over and over again

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
But Football's different.  The stoppages are part of the excitement.  It's fun after every play to turn to the person next to you and say

Eh, difference of opinion, and I respect that, but I just don't see it that way.  This seems (to me) like saying commercial breaks are exciting because they give you and your friends a chance to discuss what just happened in the story. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
Reap, I admire the passion for football but stuff like dissecting plays mid game among fans is not really a football exclusive thing. Hell you can do that with pretty much any sport.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
There's no flow to the game.  It's constantly stopping and starting.  The longest plays might last for 15 seconds. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »
I don't think anybody will change their opinions. How exciting something is and why can be very subjective.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
You still are generalizing that all football players are dumb and that all fans are over the top, and that all baseball players are intelligent which is so far from the truth.

I never said ALL, i said that many tend to be, and most of that has to do with the fans and teams i see around where i live.  and while i admit im being general, i never said every single player is a moron, because that isnt true

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
Here's an angle that hasn't been touched yet I think:

When you grow up in a soccer culture, you expect a certain "visceralness", a direct connection, from a sport. Everybody in the audience of a soccer stadium has played with a ball and a makeshift goal out of two cans in their youth, and when they watch a professional soccer game, it really isn't any different; it's just 22 guys who are really good at it, going at it with full force for 90 minutes.
In contrast, American Football, to a soccer fan, is a very "artificial" sport. It involves helmets and massive body padding, judges who confer video screens and replays, interruptions all the time, etc. etc.. There is no "men against men" aspect in AF, and I think a lot of soccer fans (including me) find that pretty unappealing.
Somewhat related, I always scratch my head when I see a group of guys playing touch football. It's clumsy, and gets nowhere near the real thing. Whereas a soccer game with 6 guys already has the same visceral appeal going that a 22-guys one has. So, I think that disconnect between low-level sport and high-level sport in AF is missing for soccer fans.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
The NFL isn't popular outside the US, in large part, because it doesn't need to be,  It is a multi billion dollar business, and is the number one sport in arguably the most desirable market in the world.  The risk/reward and feasability to successfully push the sport in other markets just isnt worth the massive effort.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29