Author Topic: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?  (Read 27197 times)

Offline Fourth Horseman

• I know all about the honor of god, Mary Jane.
Re: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?
« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
You can say what you want about the sport in terms of your interest and your preferences, but the bottom line is that the skill position players in football (Wide Receivers, Running Backs, Linebackers and Defensive Backs) are some of the most if not the most athletic people in the world. Much more so than any European sport, (not taking anything away from the sports themselves, which are great)

I have a hard time imagining any AF player running a straight 90 minutes on a soccer field. They get a lot of rest in-between plays. They are very buff, I give you that, but in terms of endurance I think soccer players beat AF players.

Yes, but that doesn't mean either group is more or less athletic.  Sprinters don't necessarily make good marathon runners, and marathon runners probably aren't quick enough to win a lot of sprint titles.  But I would have a hard time saying that either group is somehow a lesser group of athletes than the other.

Yes you are right, most football players do not have the endurance. But when I talk about athleticism, I'm talking all physical attributes (Speed, Strength, Power, Agility, Endurance, Stamina) combined.  Soccer players are great athletes in that they have speed, endurance, stamina, and agility. But when you look at the overall athleticism of someone like Calvin Johnson, there's just no contest in my opinion.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »
If we are talking altheticism, I think you need to consider Australian Rules players here too. They routinely travel 10-15kms (~6.5-9 miles) over the course of a game which involves tackling, jumping, kicking and hand passing. After doing some research, the record for a player to travel in a single game is 19.4 kilometres...

Plus the game is way better anyway ;D
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2012, 11:36:18 PM »
Just had our first game of the season. I play in the marching band, so of course I see every home game. I don't know the ins and outs of the strategy or the metagame, yet I still find it enjoyable at times.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: August 31, 2012, 01:00:16 AM »
Just had our first game of the season. I play in the marching band, so of course I see every home game. I don't know the ins and outs of the strategy or the metagame, yet I still find it enjoyable at times.
Awesome! What do you play?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »
I play trumpet. And our college isn't really big on football. Usually only 100 fans show up to each game. :/

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »
Sky Sports has just announced a new 3-year contract to show 60 live NFL games per season here in the UK. I'm no American football fan, but I think I'm right in thinking that's a significant increase on what had been shown before.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
I went to see an American Football match the other day with a manager that came from the US. It was the Michigan vs Alabama game. I brought up the discussion on why that sport isn't popular outside the US and he mentioned the fact that the sport requires a lot of money for equipment and stuff as the main reason.
Regarding the game itself, I still think the problem is that the game itself lasts 1 hour yet I spent more than 3 hours at the bar before it was finished. Don't get me wrong, I drank a lot of beer, ate some chicken wings and fries (all for free) and had a good time but I can do that without a game on the screen.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline 6sAllTheWay

« Reply #288 on: September 07, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »
I went to see an American Football match the other day with a manager that came from the US. It was the Michigan vs Alabama game. I brought up the discussion on why that sport isn't popular outside the US and he mentioned the fact that the sport requires a lot of money for equipment and stuff as the main reason.
Regarding the game itself, I still think the problem is that the game itself lasts 1 hour yet I spent more than 3 hours at the bar before it was finished. Don't get me wrong, I drank a lot of beer, ate some chicken wings and fries (all for free) and had a good time but I can do that without a game on the screen.

Yup this, the 3 hours it takes to finish a game and the fact that the networks cram commercials in whenever they can. You get a block of commercials every time there is a small stop in the game. In European football a game is 90 mins and that is 2 times 45 minutes of game and NO commercials as long as the half is on.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #289 on: September 07, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »
Chess can have mere minutes of action over hours, yet it is fascinating to people around the world.  Strategy can hold people's attention as well as action.  It may not be as immediately visible to new viewers, but it also doesn't take more than basic learning to be able to appreciate.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #290 on: September 07, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
Chess can have mere minutes of action over hours, yet it is fascinating to people around the world.  Strategy can hold people's attention as well as action.  It may not be as immediately visible to new viewers, but it also doesn't take more than basic learning to be able to appreciate.
This, exactly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: September 07, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
This, exactly.

i agree, but there are no commercials in between that get you distracted every 5 minutes

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »
i agree, but there are no commercials in between that get you distracted every 5 minutes

No one's defending the commercials in Football.  They've become overabundant.  Sports leagues are trying to figure out how to not lose the attention of their audience to smart phones.  Less commercials would go a long way.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #293 on: September 07, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
This, exactly.

Try going to the games.  I get to look at the bench and figure out their strategy.  Thank god for binoculars. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: September 07, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
Sure, the next time I'm in the US I'll stop by your place and you can invite me  ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: September 07, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »
Not defending the commercials , but at least football usually has the best commercials.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »

No one's defending the commercials in Football.  They've become overabundant.  Sports leagues are trying to figure out how to not lose the attention of their audience to smart phones.  Less commercials would go a long way.

From my perspective (and I believe quite a few others share my perspective), it's not just that they have too many commercials, it's that there is room for so many commercials.  Staring at the coach as he talks to the players to call the play wouldn't make it any more interesting for me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
I will say that the counterbalance for this argument (play stoppages) is that there is actually MORE riding on every single play.   And in a close game, the tension builds because *EVERY PLAY* is "make or break"...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2012, 07:15:12 AM »
You know?

https://deadspin.com/5941348/they-wont-magically-turn-you-into-a-lustful-cockmonster-chris-kluwe-explains-gay-marriage-to-the-politician-who-is-offended-by-an-nfl-player-supporting-it

I might have judged American football too soon.

Great stuff, though it has very little to do with American football itself - the person involved simply happened to be a football player, and it therefore doesn't really change my opinion on American football.

Still, a rather refreshing read - thanks for sharing.  :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
Not sure how much this has been discussed thus far, but the psychology of fandom is important here. If you're not raised with a sport, you're less likely to like it. Furthermore, if the culture you live in doesn't care about a sport, you're even less likely to like it. Add in the fact that American Football is so strongly associated with America and suddenly you've got a sport that isn't so appealing to a Frenchman, or a Russian, or a Japanese dude.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
So very true.  We know what we know.

Though I do like to check out sports from other countries.  it's just hard if you don't understand the rules and that is the hill to climb.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
Well, and then there's also the fact that AF has "simmered" for long enough in one country that it has acquired a lit of American elements. Look at Kendo. It has acquired such uniquely Japanese features that it's never going to be big outside its native country.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »
I think that's even true for sports played in both continents.  Look at hockey.  The styles are so different in Europe to the American/Canadian style of play.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2012, 08:12:43 AM »
Social benefits are important too, I think. In America, there's a substantial social benefit to liking American Football, especially in college. No such benefit exists from liking the sport in Germany or India.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in this country who doesn't give a shit about American Football.

Which sucks, because I live in a college town.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »
I woke up and just spent my entire day either watching Football or driving to different friends' houses to watch Football.

How can anyone not care about this again?
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
I woke up and just spent my entire day either watching Football or driving to different friends' houses to watch Football.

We Canucks are just as in love with hockey.  Why don't you obsess over it and maple syrup?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »

Very very easily, I assure you.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »
We Canucks are just as in love with hockey.  Why don't you obsess over it and maple syrup?

Hockey has a legitimate following in America.  Its fans are super duper passionate.

To me, Hockey seems like it appeals to a very specific kind of person that happens to be very common in Canada.  I guess you could say that American Football applies to a specifically American mentality as well.  Who knows.
Over and over again

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »

Actually, some of the northern States do obsess over those things.  :)  Curling is big around the Great Lakes, too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2012, 04:53:14 AM »

Hockey has a legitimate following in America.  Its fans are super duper passionate.

To me, Hockey seems like it appeals to a very specific kind of person that happens to be very common in Canada.  I guess you could say that American Football applies to a specifically American mentality as well.  Who knows.
I think that has been the gist of the entire thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #312 on: September 13, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19549703

Article doesn't say much that's new or that will surprise anyone, but yeah.

There's also a link in there to this article, which is a kind of reverse of the topic of this thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14725789

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »
Those are two very interesting articles. I'm eager to see if rugby can make a way into popular sports in the US

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2012, 10:46:27 PM »
Aaaaaand today, I saw this article.

https://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406-lMyQjAxMTAwMDEwNTExNDUyWj.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

"According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays.

So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour. As many as 75 minutes, or about 60% of the total air time, excluding commercials, is spent on shots of players huddling, standing at the line of scrimmage or just generally milling about between snaps. In the four broadcasts The Journal studied, injured players got six more seconds of camera time than celebrating players. While the network announcers showed up on screen for just 30 seconds, shots of the head coaches and referees took up about 7% of the average show."

Man, I'd watch the shit out of that. Even without the ads, 75 minutes of players standing around with their thumbs up their asses. 7% of the time (about thirteen minutes, by my trusty laptop calculator) spent on shots of coaches smiling and pumping their fists/raging and ripping their nighties, and referees. That's the smallest percentage given, and it's still longer than the actual gameplay. Gotta get me some of that.