Author Topic: Best Man in a wedding.... problem, and ideas?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Best Man in a wedding.... problem, and ideas?
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
I'm going to be the best man in my best friend's wedding over memorial day weekend next year.  I'm already trying to plan his bachelor party way ahead of time so I'm not caught scrambling at the last minute.  I want to do something as epic as possible, as my bachelor party was a disaster because of some unforseen health problems. 

Anyways, I was hanging with him last weekend and he mentioned that his fiancee's bachelorette party was going to be on April 20th, so he thought about it being then.  HOWEVER, that's my 30th birthday, and my wife and I were thinking about doing something awesome like going to Vegas for the weekend or something, since we can't really do that for her 30th since it's in the middle of the week (we'll still do something awesome over that weekend). 

How can I tell my friend I want it held over a different weekend?  Like maybe the next weekend or something?

Also, any ideas on what to do for his bachelor party?  I haven't gotten in touch with the rest of his wedding party to touch base on ideas yet, but I'm imagining not straying too far from where he lives (he lives in Iowa)... so Chicago is a possiblity (and I would like that since I not only know of a few things to do already but I have connections). 

Again, this is way ahead of time so I can get ideas, touch base, and hopefully change the date.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Best Man in a wedding.... problem, and ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »
He should understand you wanting to move it to a week later given the circumstances, so just ask him straight up. As for the party... I've got nothing  :-\
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »
If you need help with the toast, I can definitely help. I've done two and won people over.

I had a slide show for one where I had photoshopped me into celebrity weddings to make it look like I was giving a toast. The one thing all the celebrities had in common was that their marriage didn't last and in my speeches I give general marriage advice. The last picture was of the wedding that I actually gave the toast at and their marriage is still strong.  :P

...You had to be there I guess...

I have another one coming up in February for a civil union between my aunt and her girlfriend. Sadly, lesbian jokes are out of the picture. Can't do it. My opening line was gonna be

"Chick Fil-A was originally going to cater this wedding, but due to circumstances out of our control, they had to cancel."
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
Yeah I'm lost at the toast.  He gave the toast at my wedding, I gotta watch my wedding video (for the first time) and see what he saikd because I do not remember lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »
You got plenty of time on the toast.

I'm going to go in the opposite direction...I say make it the same weekend as the bachelorette party.  I guess its partly because I'm not big on birthdays, but there is no law that says you must celebrate your birthday on your birthday.  Hell, putting it off until you have a three or four day weekend might make for a better trip.  You're going to have other birthdays, this (hopefully) will be his only wedding.  Help accomodate him, he'll be less likely to get the third degree if his debauchery occurs at the same time as hers.  Vegas in the middle of the school year would be rushed...why not wait two months and make it a win-win situation.  Just my two cents, but then again I don't really care about my birthday because its never been anything to celebrate.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:43:33 AM »
I was a best man once.
My best advice. Do not take 2 percocet 20 minutes before the DJ hands you a microphone to make the toast. It didn't work out all that well for me. :biggrin:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:44:46 AM »
psh.. best man problems.. ill never know the feel of being a best man ... ;o;

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
Best man twice.

Know what your friends likes are and use that in the party.  Set it up when you want to.  It doesn't need to be on the same weekend.

My best friend didn't want to go to a strip joint so he loves golf and comedy.  We went golfing for the day and I set it up for 30 people at this golf club and then set up a dinner and for us to see some comedians after dinner.  Everybody had a great time.

As for the speech.  Make it a story on how you met your friend and what lead him to his fiance.  Talk about the courtship and the funny stories leading all back to it.  Close with a comforting line about the love and journey they are beginning.

Here's how I started my Brother's toast,

"Welcome to the roast of Erika and Brian Callahan.  I am your roast master Joe Callahan!!"  (Waits for applause) Then I went on how the 2 met, how Erika made my brother whole and life's journeys.

Hope that helps.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »
The trick is to get really smashed and then divulge in some nasty secrets about either bride or groom. Those toasts are the best.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
I met his fiancee for the first time last weekend.  It was kind of weird, because the last time I had seen him before he was engaged he was getting all pissed off that she was smothering him, and I was like dude, if you are unhappy you should just break it off.  I guess they talked because he was never complaining about her after that, and then all of a sudden he was engaged on fb.  I called him up right away to congratulate him and he's like dude you're my best man.  So that's that. 

Like i had stated before in another thread, what we really love is horribly awesome action movies (Under Siege, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, The Rock, etc)... what I want to do is have the bachelor party in Chicago and somehow end up at Trader Todd's and lo and behold Donald Gibb is there.  That would be awesome.  Don't know if it would happen, but you never know.  I know I don't want to do the strip club thing.  I've never been to one, and I know that he's been but he wasn't ever really comfortable going himself.  He loves golfing and that wouldn't be a bad idea, although I SUCK at golf lol.  If that's the case, the later the party is the better, since mid April is a little early for golfing in northern Illinois (unless we get another ridiculously hot March like we did this year). 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »
*There is nothing "horribly awful" about the action movie, "Under Siege"  In fact, every movie with Steven Seagal rules  :hat

The sooner you realize that, the better  :hat

*may contain absurd levels of sarcasm