Author Topic: The Math Lovers Club v. 3.1416  (Read 35643 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Math Lovers Club v. 3.1416
« Reply #280 on: February 10, 2021, 05:48:34 AM »
Yeah, so I had zero luck last night. Pretty sure I just need to bite the bullet and buy a miter saw.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: February 11, 2021, 10:40:49 AM »
I <3 All The Maths.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2021, 06:31:42 AM »
Here's the other thing you could do:   create one or two jigs that are a triangle with two sides of height h.   Gently glue one or both (depending on how long the pieces are) to the backside of your trapezoids, so that they sit, propped, at that 45o angle.  Then cut the trapezoid at a 45o angle from either base of the trapezoid, except the trapezoid itself will not lie flat on your saw, but will be propped at an angle.  Does that make sense?   I can make a makeshift video I think, with my phone if it doesn't.

I think I'm following. I'm not sure if that's really necessary because I have the ability to angle the blade on the table saw these are getting run through. Instead of having to jig/tilt the material to get my angle, I just angle the blade.

But isn't that the trick, though, to know how much to angle the blade?   I'm using brute force here to empirically cut a piece that fits, and then you can measure the angle. Because the "devil" is in that "slant" of the side trapezoids.  When you look down from the top, all the angles in 2D are 45 degrees. So you're "faking" the saw into cutting the real angle by angling the trapezoid to what it would be in real life without knowing what the resulting angle will be.

So I don't know if I understood what you were saying, or if what you said made me think of something that worked, but I finally cracked it over the weekend.

Test fit with wood:

Final material:

However, I already exceeded the weight limit (3lb) and had to reshape :/ I had to ditch the rear wedge to reduce overall surface area and changed the rear thickness from 1/4" to 1/8".

Managed to shave off close to .5lb
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:11:11 AM by Chino »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2021, 07:58:34 AM »
Happy Pi day

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #284 on: March 14, 2021, 08:40:23 AM »
Was tempted to translate it, saw what thread I'm in, and refrained.  Y'all can figure it out yourselves.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »
That looks like a David X Cohen joke. Exec Producer on Futurama and complete maths and science geek.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2024, 06:39:10 AM »
Long time with no activity here. Figured I would share this (Chino might get a laugh out of it).

Animation Vs. Math

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1J6Ou4q8vE

Animation Vs. Physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErMSHiQRnc8

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2024, 08:19:12 AM »
The vs math one says it was uploaded 6 months ago, but I swear I have seen it (or I guess something similar) a longer time ago. Still cool.

I have been teaching math for 12 years now. I really enjoy it, though this year has been the exception, but not because of the kids. I recently had a former student who is now an adult come back and tell me he is going to college for aerospace engineering (I think that is what he said, something along those lines) and that I was inspiration to him for loving math.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2024, 08:51:59 AM »
Yeah I have a vague memory of seeing something similar to the Math video a long time ago.

That's cool about the former student. I got my BA in education, and part of it was because of some of the great teachers I had during high school and middle school. My career took me on a different path though.