Author Topic: Do we have enough Dream Theater threads in Polls/Survivors?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Do we have enough Dream Theater threads in Polls/Survivors?
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:53:12 AM »
For starters, I realize this is a Dream Theater message board therefore it's only natural for there to be a lot of interest in them. It just seems like the front page of P/S is beyond congested with DT threads at the moment since literally 31 out of the 44 threads on page 1 are for DT survivors which makes it needlessly annoying to have to read through the list to spot threads for other bands.

Could we maybe get a DT survivors subforum temporarily while these are going on? I also thought a stickied thread with links to all the DT survivors would be nice but I can't figure out where the threads would exist since they'd still need to be housed in an actual subforum.

Or if we do just leave them where they currently are, can we have a moratorium on the starting of any new DT series until one of the current ones ends? (Regular survivors, best moments, etc.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zydar

• Fenga papit
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do we have enough Dream Theater threads in Polls/Survivors?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »
I agree, it looks pretty flooded at the moment with different DT survivors - running and locked ones. A subforum for them seems like a good idea.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:13:48 AM »
Given some thought, I'm agreeing too.  Good points made, guys.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 05:30:02 AM »
Definitely good point. I keep looking for the Opeth survivor consolation rounds, but I can't seem to find them  :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
I see what you mean, but as far as I know, nothing is being done differently than they have in the past.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:33:03 PM »
I never recall DT threads occupying even a third of P/S' first page at any point in time, much less >70%, unless it occurred during my 9-month 2009 hiatus from here or my 9-month hiatus from mid-2010 to early 2011. That's 18 months of away time so it surely could've happened during those times but that's not really my point.

I just wish P/S wasn't so congested with the threads since in every other subforum it's fairly easy to find what you're looking for at a glance since the last time we really had an issue like this was around ADToE's release when folks got flat-out retarded by making literally dozens of "[album] vs. [album]" and "[song] vs. [song]" threads as if that was the only possible way in the universe to discuss DT and those of us who were very much burnt out on such a beaten-to-death thread style needed a fine-toothed comb to find DT threads pertaining to anything else.

Furthermore, a few years back, I recall being told that I wasn't allowed to run survivors for two different bands at the same time (Alice in Chains and Rage Against the Machine I believe) even though one of 'em wasn't even started by me and I was just taking over the AiC survivor since birchboy had lost interest in running it. The reasoning was that it caused unnecessary congestion on page 1 even though, technically speaking, I'd have been completely in the clear if I'd run the Rage survivor and birchboy continued running the AiC survivor since both of us would've only been running one survivor each.

It just seems like the guidelines of P/S are being handled in a somewhat wishy washy manner.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »
The chorus survivor is a new but everything else is just the way it was before, it did happen before this way where Splent and jingle boy were running their survivors at the same time. I agree it's cramped and a seperate sub forum would make it nicer but it's like rush hour, it will eventually pass anyway.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:16:23 AM »
How about deleting P/S threads that are more than two rounds old?  Frequent pruning.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »
Okay... I'm really not trying to be bitchy here, but splent has THREE DT album survivors going on currently - granted, Awake is almost finished, but come on...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:46:28 PM »
To be honest,  I couldn't care less. A sub-forum would be a good idea, I just don't know if it's worth the trouble.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
With three album survivors, three "moment" survivors, and at least two chorus survivors it IS hard to see the non-DT survivors.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
Yep. Especially since a year or two ago we were told nobody could run more than one survivor at a time so it wouldn't create congestion/clutter issues like we're currently having yet three different members are each running DT survivors and two of them are each running three simultaneously. Also, what happens if/when someone else steps up and says "Hey, what the heck? I'll start a DT survivor series too."

For weeks now, we've had 30 or more of the roughly-40 thread topics on P/S' front page being DT survivors. If that doesn't scream for a need for a subforum for it, then what level of saturation/borderline spam does?

I have nothing against the survivors or those running them but it's just a chaotic mess due to the sheer volume of it. Some organization would really be nice.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »
Maybe I'll start a DT best hair survivor.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »
I guess I'm partly to blame.  Sorry 'bout that.  I was initially only running two topics at a time, but at that pace, it wouldn't be until March that it finished.  Doesn't matter to me if there is sub-forum for the DT ones or not.  I think Splent started the same way (2 albums, but went to 3 in order to get it finished before 2013).

I can stop making the 'voting closed' post ... which ends up bumping them back to the top if that helps?

Frankly, I was a little leary of starting mine with the album Survivor in progress, and was kinda surprised a third DT themed Survivor would be started at the same time.
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?
And TAC can suck it  :biggrin:, this is heavy in all the right places.  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »
Dude - I personally am not blaming you, splent OR H.  How were you guys to know that you'd all start your various survivors at the same time?

But that said - having you three doing that is causing a TEMPORARY clog in P&S.  Won't be forever though.

I personally agree that a DT Survivor subforum would be great, but that's up to TPTB.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »
Oh, I didn't feel any "blame" coming at me from anyone, just a figure of speech.
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
Oh, I didn't feel any "blame" coming at me from anyone, just a figure of speech.

I know, I just wanted to clarify how I felt so that it wasn't an issue for anyone. :)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
I sincerely wanna make it completely clear to all of the members running the three DT survivors that I mean no ill will toward them when I address these issues but I feel compelled to bring up some valid points:

1. Some of us also have been/will be running survivors for a very long time as well and it's kind of a bummer to have this page 1 roadblock going on when I've just started the playoffs (consolation and eventually finals) for a 10-album Opeth survivor. It's the most important part of the whole survivor and it's just getting lost in the shuffle. I figure the threads closer to the top have a better shot at bringing in new voters since folks that just have a casual glance at P/S every now and then won't bother reading through the whole page if they just glance at it and it looks like the only game in town at the moment is DT stuff.

2. I used to be concerned about survivors spilling into the next year as well but it's really not any worse than blocking up P/S just to meet arbitrary deadlines especially since we can just immediately start that survivor cycle for 2013 as soon as the current one ends. Heck, I'm still on the 2011 Opeth survivor partly due to my as well as a few others' desire to have extra time to "study" Heritage since it was only 3 and a half months old at the end of last year.

3. The main justification for the DT thread logjam that keeps being brought up is "It's only temporary." Well, it would make perfect sense to just move 'em over to DT-side then. We can sticky a thread in P/S letting folks know that it's been moved and it'll probably even get better traffic there since most new members start off in that subforum anyway which means the P/S sticky will avoid the loss of the current voter base while exposing it to plenty of potential new voters.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 06:29:16 AM »
It's all cool man.  I'm not so concerned about the 'end-of-year' thing ... just don't want to be doing this for 6+ months.

If a sub-forum gets created, I'm happy to drop mine in there.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 07:52:18 AM »
How about the creation of a DT-related child board on P/S?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »
^I think that'd work pretty well too.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
Anything happening on this front?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »
Good question.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 01:31:44 AM »
Looks like it's down to about 20 or so. It appears we're making a little headway. As long as folks only post one thread  per survivor series at a time the congestion should clear up really well.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 06:41:42 AM »
Yeah, but splent's been slowing down lately, once he gets back to full mast (figuratively), then we have the problem again. Same with Jingle. Therefore, I'm still in support of a child board.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »
Looks like it's down to about 20 or so. It appears we're making a little headway. As long as folks only post one thread  per survivor series at a time the congestion should clear up really well.

Well, we still have the kerfluffle of Plank, splent and Chad all running their DT survivors at the same time AND The Letter M wanting to do one as well for the epics with numbered parts (I know I'm not explaining that well at all).

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
I think we should just have a rule of no more than one survivor series per band at a time. If that makes it to where folks can't all fit their survivors series into a given calendar year by taking turns then I really can't imagine it not being completely clear that we would benefit from having a child board for it or even a subforum depending on which ever would best acommodate this particular situation at the time it were to be addressed.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Well... forgive me if this is a dumb question, but wouldn't that negate your Opeth consolation and non-album survivors being run at the same time?

It IS the most fair suggestion though.  IMO, of course.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »
Nah, you're right. I'd gladly abide by it too if everyone else did. It seems like there's a hell of a lot of interest in these DT survivors too so I think the best way to go about it would be the child board/subforum route and just let folks go nuts with it and if that thing gets too cluttered they could appoint a mod whose only authority clearance would be to prune expired threads in that area in order to mitigate clutter.

As far as the simultaneous running of the Opeth survivors, I'm not a big fan of it myself and it's the first time I've ever done it. I was mainly trying to insure that once the finals were over that the whole thing was over and the only other alternative would've been to suspend the regular survivor while the non-album one played out.