Author Topic: Beyond This Life  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Beyond This Life
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
Just listened again, and fuck my earlier opinion, this song kicks major ass. The Budokan version is waaaaaay over the top, but the studio version is pretty cool.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
Just listened again, and fuck my earlier opinion, this song kicks major ass. The Budokan version is waaaaaay over the top, but the studio version is pretty cool.

Now that's the spirit  :tup

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2021, 05:56:48 PM »
One thing that occurred to me recently is that Beyond This Life is basically strongly influenced by Paranoid Android by Radiohead, and a technical comparison of both songs will show stylistic and compositional commonalities in sections of it. (granted one is metal and the other isn't)
Given that though, Beyond This Life has a whole instrumental section (including the legendary "Zappa-section") which is completely unrelated to this comparison.

This comparison also makes historical sense given that Portnoy brought OK Computer to the studio for both SFAM and SDOIT.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
Probably my #1 DT song of all time, tbh. At least #1 on SFAM.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2021, 07:18:19 PM »
Probably the song that got me hooked on DT. First time I heard it was the Budokan dvd. The extended solo section blew my mind. Fav song on that album is Home though.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline rab7

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2021, 08:44:31 AM »
Beyond This Life was my gateway song to DT.

The news had just come out that Portnoy would be part of A7X's new album, so I decided to look into DT's work.

It just so happened that Beyond This Life was the first song I listened to. It blew my mind: the 5/4 time signature, the 11+ minute length (instantly the longest song on my itunes library), the general heaviness, and that fucking instrumental section.

After that, the next song I heard was Finally Free, and the story got me interested in trying to hear the rest of SFAM.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2021, 09:55:23 AM »
Very skippable as are a handful of others from that album. When I'm forced to listen to it though, well....I kind of think, "Man, I was a bit too harsh on this song." Afterwards I have zero desire to go back and listen to it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »
Funny enough, I didn't listen to SFAM until years after I first got into DT. Only song I knew from SFAM was TSCO. Though I listened to TOT, IAW, Awake, FII and Octavarium in full, and a few songs from WDADU, SDOIT, SC (Latest release at the time).

Around the time before BC&SL release, I was talking about JP's playing with a friend of mine at the time and he asked me "What do you think of the solo in Fatal Tragedy", he was surprised to hear I didn't know the album so I went home and listened.

Beyond this life was an instant favorite. Though nowadays there are 3 other songs I enjoy more from the album.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »
MAJOR necropost!

I did not like BTL at first.  However, the middle, instrumental section always appealed to me, and I eventually grew into liking the song as a whole -- particularly after seeing it on LSFNY.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Trav86

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2021, 10:07:14 AM »
When I first listened listened to SFAM this song was the “song with the weird bits in the middle” to me. But I grew to really appreciate everything else, and the weird bits as well.
The Metropolis 2000 video won me over.  When they go into that last unison line, and the split  camera makes it look like JP is looking at JR.  And gives him a little nod. Classic.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
I only listen to a concept album in it's entirety. Honestly, it's difficult for me to distinguish tracks, since the whole record it's just one piece of music for me.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...