Author Topic: How should the Simpsons end?  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Stonestef

How should the Simpsons end?
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:34:10 AM »
I read this fan theory on reddit, sounds like a perfect ending to me! It is long but it is worth the read!

The show begins with the family watching Itchy and Scratchy. They announce that the show is coming to an end and the entire family gasps in horror. They then announce that the last episode will be aired in a years time, and until then, a contest will be running; this contest will offer the winner the chance to write what will happen in the finale. The entire Simpson family applies.
Krusty is in charge of choosing the winner. He falls in love with one of the Simpson's idea and puts it in winners box. He makes a mistake though, he puts all five of their ideas in the box by accident. He goes on his show to announce the winner and pulls out five cards out of the box. Stumped, he reads all five names out, "Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie."
Flash forward a year later and Bart is in class describing his take on the Itchy and Scratchy finale to Milhouse, while showing us Itchy and Scratchy with Bart's voice-over. He finishes and the class is silent, Edna Krabappel is staring at him and says, "After-school detention." The scene then cuts to the power plant and Homer is describing his finale to Lenny and Carl. He finishes, a bell rings and he gets in a radiation suit. The scene cuts to a supermarket and Marge is describing her take to Helen Lovejoy, she finishes and strolls Maggie in the trolley to another aisle. Here, Maggie sees the unibrow baby and starts describing her take via waving and motioning. She finishes and the scene cuts to Lisa, she begins describing her take to Sherri and Terri. She finishes and picks up her saxophone to go to music practice. She walks in the music room sits down and then sees the time. She realises the show is going to be on in ten minutes. She plays the Itchy and Scratchy melody on her sax and bolts out. It cuts to Bart, he's writing on the black board: "I will not talk in class ever again" he hears a bell, realises the time and runs out. Cut to Homer holding some plutonium at a conveyor belt when a bell rings at the plant and he too realises the time and runs off, dropping some plutonium. Cut to the supermarket and we see Marge and Maggie checking out and running through the exit doors. Cut to a birds eye view of their home and we see everyone rushing to take a seat in the couch. They look at each other, they smile, the Itchy and Scratchy music plays, and it cuts to credits.

Do you have any thoughts about how it should end?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: How should the Simpsons end?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:15:14 AM »
That sounds like a lame way of trying to work the intro into the episode, and doesn't actually sound like a coherent episode idea.

How should they end the Simpsons? Immediately. The show ended over a decade ago to me anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:16:56 AM »
That sounds like a lame way of trying to work the intro into the episode, and doesn't actually sound like a coherent episode idea.
Yeah, I get how the idea of a reference like that might be neat, but it just seems too forced.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:18:46 AM »
Yeah, I get how the idea of a reference like that might be neat, but it just seems too forced.

And when spread out over several minutes of an episode (or the whole episode), I think the reference would be weak and pretty much lost anyway.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:31:48 AM »
On the couch of course!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 06:53:02 AM »
With a full and frank apology.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 06:56:47 AM »
The question of course is, do shows of this kind ever end? It's not exactly like there is a huge overarching story connecting all the episodes into a single very long one. (Unless I'm mistaken, in which case I'm very sorry, to me shows like The Simpsons always feel like seperate episodes, ie you can watch one without having watched previous episodes)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 06:57:30 AM »
With a fiery explosion.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 07:00:48 AM »
The question of course is, do shows of this kind ever end? It's not exactly like there is a huge overarching story connecting all the episodes into a single very long one. (Unless I'm mistaken, in which case I'm very sorry, to me shows like The Simpsons always feel like seperate episodes, ie you can watch one without having watched previous episodes)

Just because it's not serialized, doesn't mean there's any less importance placed on the final. If they have time to prepare knowing it's their last episode, they'd definitely do a special final episode.

I hope the final episode ends with Homer waking up and realizing that every single Simpsons episode since 2000 was just part of his horrible nightmare where the world was devoid of humour. Everybody lives happily ever after.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »

Just because it's not serialized, doesn't mean there's any less importance placed on the final. If they have time to prepare knowing it's their last episode, they'd definitely do a special final episode.

I hope the final episode ends with Homer waking up and realizing that every single Simpsons episode since 2000 was just part of his horrible nightmare where the world was devoid of humour. Everybody lives happily ever after.

Rosanne ended with an "it was all a dream scenario" didn't it?

I do like your idea though.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »
That Itchy and Scratchy idea still sounds better than most recent episodes. At least it's not "Homer and Marge have a marriage crisis" or "All of Springfield worships a special guest star". But I really don't think the last episode should be anything special. Whatever they try, it will just flop miserably.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »
Word. I may not have even had pubes the last time they successfully pulled off a celebrity-centered episode.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »

The best such scenario was that in the show "Newhart" which tied back in to his old "The Bob Newhart Show."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 03:21:30 AM »

I swear to God I remember reading somewhere that in Home Improvement, Wilson is a fictional conjuration of some sort. I remember reading something about how it was originally planned in the finale to reveal that Wilson's house/fence was never there. I don't think I'm making this up, but I can't find any evidence to support it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »
I like Blob's idea because it's the truth. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 04:01:24 AM »
It should end immediately.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 04:31:34 AM »
How should they end the Simpsons? Immediately. The show ended over a decade ago to me anyway.

Came here to post this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
IT SHOULD HAVE ended years ago.  That would have been the way to end it.  The fact that it got so bad, AFTER BEING SO GOOD, makes the cancellations of Firefly and Arrested Development easier to take since they were prevented from embarrassing themselves the way this show has.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »
I've never watched Arrested Development, but your post assumes that Firefly would end up embarrassing itself had it not been cancelled. I understand that anything's possible, but I find that one hard to believe.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »

I swear to God I remember reading somewhere that in Home Improvement, Wilson is a fictional conjuration of some sort. I remember reading something about how it was originally planned in the finale to reveal that Wilson's house/fence was never there. I don't think I'm making this up, but I can't find any evidence to support it.

Didn't the whole family talk to Wilson? I'm pretty Tim wasn't the only one who had conversations with him. I think even Al talked to him at some point.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »

Didn't the whole family talk to Wilson? I'm pretty Tim wasn't the only one who had conversations with him. I think even Al talked to him at some point.

Yeah, I don't see how that was possible. Wilson was real and the whole family knew him and talked to him constantly.  I remember Tim and Jill having dinner in Wilson's house in one episode.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »
The guy who played Wilson (or at least another actor that looks like him) was in the Newhart episode/scene I mentioned. Maybe that's what you're remembering? Not sure though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »
The last episode should do the beginning credits but end with a collage of empty real-life sofas, to show that everybody stopped caring about the show.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »
"The Simpsons" is still on tv?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
Who cares as long as it ends.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »
Before Justin Bieber appears on it as a guest voice....

....crap  :facepalm:

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
With a fiery explosion.
Everyone survived.