Poll

Which song do you prefer more?  You or Me (the demo with a moderately different arrangement) or You Not Me (the final album version version)?

You or Me
34 (55.7%)
You Not Me
27 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: You Not Me or You or Me?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

You Not Me or You or Me?
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »
I can't believe this poll has never been done. 

Clearly we all know You or Me will win this poll but I want to know by how much.

I personally prefer You Not Me.  I always liked the riff, I thought it had a good groove, and the lyrics aren't great but are not the worst ones DT has ever written.

For the longest time I had never heard You or Me.  When I finally got the Ytsejam Bootleg, that was the most anticipated (with the jam session of Metropolis Pt. 2) and I was majorly let down.  I thought the wind was taken out of it or I guess more appropriately to say would be that it never had any wind to begin with.  It was interesting and not horrible but it just seemed sorta..."there."

I also feel like the addition of Desmond Child hurt You Not Me simply by having his name there.  I know not everyone cared but it is kind of like a taste test where you know the product beforehand.  Because of his association with glam rock I think *some* people (not *all* or even *most*) already made up their mind about the song along with people like MP openly bashing it.

In the occasional thread I have seen some people say they actually prefer the album version (a minority for sure) but now we are going to get an actual count. 

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: You Not Me or You or Me?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
You or Me, by a mile. The chorus is so much better.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:14:36 PM »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »

And the few other bits the demo has also just add to this victory. So, for me, I'd say it's a 5/3 miles.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »
REALLY tough choice.  But I guess if it came right down to it, and you literally put a gun to my head and said, "you MUST choose one of them to listen to," I think I know what my answer would be:  pull the trigger. 
:justshootme:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Not on topic, but you should REALLY rename that emote :cobain:.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
REALLY tough choice.  But I guess if it came right down to it, and you literally put a gun to my head and said, "you MUST choose one of them to listen to," I think I know what my answer would be:  pull the trigger. 
:justshootme:
Because it so tough, or because you dislike both of them so much? :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 03:29:41 PM »
You Or Me definitely needed a little more words, and something a little "smarter", in that chorus in order to be a good, catchy tune. But You Not Me clearly failed in this field, and in every other field; the demo is vastly superior.

I would also like to add that I had no clue about Desmond Child, nor MP bashing it, nor the FII situation when I first heard the song - I mostly listen to music first and explore later. And yet I always felt that song is a bit icky. It got out of the "radio-friendly" and entered the "washed up" zone by a mile.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Onno

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »
I would also like to add that I had no clue about Desmond Child, nor MP bashing it, nor the FII situation when I first heard the song - I mostly listen to music first and explore later. And yet I always felt that song is a bit icky. It got out of the "radio-friendly" and entered the "washed up" zone by a mile.
Same here. For me, it has been the worst DT song since I first listened to it, and at that time I didn't know the backgrounds of FII.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »
While You or Me is better as a song, let alone a Dream Theater song, sometimes I actually find myself feeling like listening to cheesy pop and whatnot. And the vocals, while cheesy like the rest of the song, are just more interesting in the final studio version.

So to me it's a tie. I guess it won't be the same for another person who's not open to absolutely any sort of genre and kind of songwriting, including complete junk (not calling You Not Me complete junk, just saying that I do listen to junk too every now and then if it makes any sense).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
I bought FII when it first came out, and didn't know who Desmond Child was, let alone anything about the making of FII till many years later. I thought YNM was alright. Lyrics have to be really bad for them to bother me, and these didn't qualify. The music was ok, not great, but better than other stuff on that album. It just became a song I skipped, but didn't actively hate.

Then I heard YOM, and I cared for it as much (or as little) as YNM. I only listened to it once for curiosity, it didn't warrant a second listen.

Are people picking YOM because they actually like it, or just because it is the lesser crappy song?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 03:57:13 PM »
They both suck.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
That's like asking me to choose between shit and crap......well maybe.  I would have to go back and listen to them both again????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

:puke:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »
You or Me, definitely.  YNM's chorus is just plain bad, and I'm not saying this as a prog-snob who hates everything "pop".

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
You Not Me definitely. Neither are impressive but YNM's brevity and better sound quality make me like it better.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
Maybe I'm weird but, I've never really had a problem with You Not Me. I like it more than Burning My Soul. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
Album version. I don't get people bitching about it. It's not actually a bad song, just underwhelming for DT's standards. There's actually two songs that are worse on the same album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
Maybe I'm weird but, I've never really had a problem with You Not Me. I like it more than Burning My Soul.

I always liked Burning My Soul (better than YNM) but I like YNM wayyyyyyyy more than Just Let Me Breathe. 

I'm surprised to see the vote split like it is.  I figured me and maybe one or two other people would vote for YNM instead there are 7 other people at the moment that think like me!

I also intended for sound quality not to be an issue since they obviously didn't get the chance to record a "proper" version of YoM but even withstanding that YNM gets an easy win. 

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »
I don't care for either, but You or Me is slightly less worse.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »
I'm not sure whether to pick one or the other :neverusethis:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
You Not Me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
I picked YOM. But I actually quite like both songs.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »
Yo or me by a mile.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 10:56:50 PM »
This is like being asked, would you rather someone punch you in the balls or in the head of your penis?  Both options are very unappealing.

But if forced to pick, You Not Me is less bad.  You Or Me's plodding verses are atrocious.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
This is like being asked, would you rather someone punch you in the balls or in the head of your penis?  Both options are very unappealing.

But if forced to pick, You Not Me is less bad.  You Or Me's plodding verses are atrocious.

LOL

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »
Album version. I don't get people bitching about it. It's not actually a bad song, just underwhelming for DT's standards. There's actually two songs that are worse on the same album.

Yup.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:56 AM »
I think YNM is slightly better, but we're splitting hairs here. Either way it's not a great song. I don't think it's quite as bad as people generally say it is, but it never would have been considered a good DT song in either arrangement.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 12:32:16 AM »
They are both equal to me. I think they are okay songs, and I enjoy listening to them both sometimes.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 05:37:37 AM »
I much prefer You not Me. It seems to me it's more dynamic and melodic than You or Me.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
I picked YOM. But I actually quite like both songs.

This. 

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »
I voted for You Not Me, but You Or Me does have that cool middle section.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 09:22:51 AM »
You or Me wins because it has that great piano part after the second chorus, saving an otherwise weak song.