Author Topic: Thoughts on Alcohol/Getting Drunk  (Read 8161 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Thoughts on Alcohol/Getting Drunk
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
As I am a recovering alcoholic, that should make my basic thoughts on drinking fairly clear. I don't have a problem with other people drinking, because not everyone has the problem I do. I also believe that very, very rarely is it true that a person who gets drunk suddenly loses all their inhibitions and becomes someone else. Like someone said earlier, they're just better at hiding it. When I drank, I was at turns sarcastic, surly, easily annoyed and was prone to being a total smartass. You know why?

Because I'm a person who is prone to being sarcastic, surly, easily annoyed, and a total smartass, that's why. Drinking just takes away the governor on your personality that allows you to throttle back when you notice you've gone too far.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
Forgive me for not reading two pages worth of replies and just answering the OP.

I rarely drink, and when I do it is almost always in a social situation and because others are drinking (peer pressure!  j/k).  I've only been buzzed once in the last 3 years, and the last time I was actually drunk was probably 2007.  My main things are a) I don't need to drink to enjoy myself and alcohol doesn't really make good times THAT much better, and b) going out for drinks is expensive, yet no one ever wants to just have a get together and make drinks.  I probably would have  drank more in grad school (can't comment on my current peeps yet) if my friends weren't so insistant on going to the bars - supposedly to "meet people" - even though we would all just end up at the same table and try to have conversations over the background din, which I thought was incredibly stupid.  Guess that's why I was always considered the smart one, even in grad school.

That said, I'm a beer snob, and I brew my own beer; namely for showing off my skills and the challenge.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2012, 04:35:08 AM »
I like craft beer a lot. I'd liken my zest for it to that of a coffee lover's affinity for exploring the diverse world of various beans and roasts except that coffee only makes me wanna bang fat chicks a tiny bit more than usual.

Craft beer makes me happy

Same here.  o/

I'm glad I'm in Raleigh because we have a lot of really good local breweries.
Another great area for great local breweries is Asheville.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2012, 05:06:22 AM »
Oh boy.  They wife drove last night.  I had a "few" craft beers and a shot of Hennessy.  My head is ok just a little cloudy.  Haven't done that in a while.  Needed a little release.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2012, 05:41:38 AM »
I'm allergic to alcohol, almost every time I drink it, I break out in cuffs. 

So I avoid it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
I :heart Jack Daniels.
Me too.  How do you take it?  I like it straight, room temperature, no ice, no mixer, no nothing.

Good that way, or with a little ice. Most often I have it with Pepsi.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2012, 09:08:47 AM »
I'm allergic to alcohol, almost every time I drink it, I break out in cuffs. 

So I avoid it.

My allergy comes out differently, when I drink, I tend to lose friends and family members.

(actually, now that I have had chronic, severe pancreatitis, I am extremely supceptable to it coming back. Any level of drinking would probably do me in, and knowing how I drink, there is really no going back unless I want to die)

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
I'm honestly surprised that the general attitude toward alcohol is on the negative side here.  But to each his own- I wasn't into drinking at all until I was about 23.

I'm 31 (fastly approaching 32...yikes) and I still love to drink.  I have cut back a lot but the main reason for that is time and money.  I've been doing the two-job thing for a year now and I just don't have the free time like I used to.

But when I can, I definitely like to get my drink on.  And occasionally, we get sloppy. But never violent or belligerent.  I've been told I'm an extremely fun drunk.  And my friends keep inviting me to hang with them so I guess I'm not too bad   :angel:
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
A couple of thoughts on this topic:

1. I don't drink, and I find that when I tell people that, especially at a party, I get blank stares. There's almost a tension in the air. I think it's very interesting how ingrained drinking is into our culture, and how if you don't do it, there are a lot of people who consider you weird.

2. A lot of my friends go out drinking every weekend, and if they don't, they still find a way to incorporate drinking into what they're doing regardless. If they're taking a road trip, they inevitably stop at a bar or brewery along the way. If they're going to a basketball or football game, they buy a few beers at the arena. If they're going to see a movie, same thing. I find it kind of bizarre that a lot of people have to incorporate drinking into their spare time no matter what they're doing.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
1. I don't drink, and I find that when I tell people that, especially at a party, I get blank stares. There's almost a tension in the air. I think it's very interesting how ingrained drinking is into our culture, and how if you don't do it, there are a lot of people who consider you weird.

Odd, because I haven't had that experience at all. I mean, I go to allegedly one of the biggest 'party schools' in the nation, yet I know plenty of people who don't drink (or didn't drink until they were 21) and have absolutely no problem getting on at parties with everyone else. I mean, maybe it's just the groups of people I hang out with, but if you tell them you don't drink at a party they just say "oh cool, more for me", offer you a non-alcoholic drink, and continue on with the conversation.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »

*snip*

I think we generally have similar thoughts on the subject, but I've found it's just easier to get one drink to not make it an issue.  When I used to sell vacuum cleaners, one of the things I learned is that when you have to connect with people, the best way is to just do what they do.  If we were offered a beer during a demonstration, we were told that the proper response was, "Sure, I'll have what you're having." since it builds a connection.  It's a situation I am finding myself in a lot lately as I'm spending time getting to know the faculty.  I'll have a drink if everyone else orders, one of the other new hires doesn't, and I'm finding that people are are making more of an effort to get to know me even outside of drinking situations because of it.  So, sometimes giving into peer pressure and doing the socially acceptable thing is the right thing to do if it keeps the spotlight off the subject.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »
Holy shit.  You mean there really was such a thing as door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesmen?  I always thought that was a myth created for television purposes. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
Yup.  My first job after college was a Kirby salesman.  It was a great way to work on my demonstration and speaking skills while waiting to find a real job.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »
I'm turning 21 on Thursday. My friends are taking me to a bar. Any drink recommendations?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »
I'm turning 21 on Thursday. My friends are taking me to a bar. Any drink recommendations?
Plenty of water afterwards.

Prairie Fire

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
And before.

And during.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »

Appletini :metal
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
And before.

And during.
Aye.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
Prairie Fire
I have no experience drinking and even I think wtf at the thought of drinking that.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
And before.

And during.

If they offer you a Nazi Taco, pass on it.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
I didn't start drinking until I was 20. At the time, it was centered around house parties and getting completely smashed. It was a lot of fun. But in only 3 years since that time, my attitude has changed a lot. I rarely get out of control like that anymore. These days, my drinking habits mainly consist of getting a nice buzz from a few craft beers and calling it a night. It's a bit of a hobby of mine now. I keep a list at BeerAdvocate of every beer that I try. It's probably nothing to a more experienced beer drinker, but I've now tried about 140 beers.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
Yeah, my bro is telling me to go with a few AMF's. Maybe later in the evening but not right away.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2012, 10:19:12 PM »
Feel free to turn down drinks.  If someone buys you something you don't want make them drink both.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »
Also don't feel the need to drink in general.

If you want....sure. But don't feel like you have to just because you're turning 21.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »
Yeah, my bro is telling me to go with a few AMF's. Maybe later in the evening but not right away.
I had to look that up, but man, it sounds terrible. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »

Appletini :metal

Fuck that.  Do a shot of Jameson.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »

Man, if that ain't the truth. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »

I'd avoid that one, and here are a few others to avoid...

'anything' iced tea
Car bomb
touchdown
gorilla fart
three wisemen
stoplight
mind eraser
jager bomb(or anything jager for that matter)

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll come up with more, I have done extensive research in this field.

I do feel a proper shot of tequila is a must though. Good luck.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
Oh the irony of tequila being the shot you DO mention after concluding the list of what to avoid.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2012, 01:09:39 AM »

Rum and coke.  Sorta like vanilla coke with a spicy kick.  If you're only having a few, you should be fine, but down a 32oz bottle of Gatorade beforehand.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2012, 01:19:10 AM »

Rum and coke.  Sorta like vanilla coke with a spicy kick.  If you're only having a few, you should be fine, but down a 32oz bottle of Gatorade beforehand.

And eat, please for God's sake eat.

Oh the irony of tequila being the shot you DO mention after concluding the list of what to avoid.

Some rights of passage must be taken here, don't you agree?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2012, 01:22:46 AM »
AMFs are just fucking retarded.

To me, '21st birthday first drinks' should be solid standards and a few 'party' type drinks:

Pint of a good beer
JD and coke
Gin and tonic
A good straight scotch
Proper tequila shot (i.e. with salt and lime)
Vodka shot
Irish car bomb (because it's fucking delicious, though don't be afraid to make it a half pint)
Jager bomb
Others that I'm sure I'm forgetting now.

And eat before hand, have some water in the middle, and keep a few water bottles by your bed. You have no idea how many times my life has been saved by bed water.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

• DT.net Member
Turning green, regurgitate, you shall dispense tequila from your faaaaace!
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »

Well yes but:

1. I don't exactly consider hugging porcelain a rite of passage.

2. I'm pretty sure he'll end up violently vomiting from getting shitfaced at least once in the next couple years anyway so there's no real urgency in the matter.

AMFs are just fucking retarded.

To me, '21st birthday first drinks' should be solid standards and a few 'party' type drinks:

Pint of a good beer
JD and coke
Gin and tonic
A good straight scotch
Proper tequila shot (i.e. with salt and lime)
Vodka shot
Irish car bomb (because it's fucking delicious, though don't be afraid to make it a half pint)
Jager bomb
Others that I'm sure I'm forgetting now.

And eat before hand, have some water in the middle, and keep a few water bottles by your bed. You have no idea how many times my life has been saved by bed water.

Jesus lord, no! Ian, you've conditioned yourself to borderline champ status through whisky and box wine consumption. If Planck Williams drinks that trainwreck you posted, his grandkids will be born hungover.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:36:42 AM by black_floyd »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Turning green, regurgitate, you shall dispense tequila from your faaaaace!
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2012, 01:34:11 AM »
1. I don't exactly exactly consider hugging porcelain a rite of passage.

Not MY idea of a good time, that's for sure.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Turning green, regurgitate, you shall dispense tequila from your faaaaace!
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »

Well yes but:

1. I don't exactly exactly consider hugging porcelain a rite of passage.

2. I'm pretty sure he'll end up violently vomiting from getting shitfaced at least once in the next couple years anyway so there's no real urgency in the matter.

True dat, at some point we all have to bend the wires of a chain link fence while repainting our shoes with our lunch.