Author Topic: Thoughts on Alcohol/Getting Drunk  (Read 8165 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Thoughts on Alcohol/Getting Drunk
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2012, 01:39:07 AM »
True dat, at some point we all have to bend the wires of a chain link fence while repainting our shoes with our lunch.

:rollin

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Turning green, regurgitate, you shall dispense tequila from your faaaaace!
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:49 AM »
Jesus lord, no! Ian, you've conditioned yourself to borderline champ status through whisky and box wine consumption. If Planck Williams drinks that trainwreck you posted, his grandkids will be born hungover.

Probably. I mean, my 21st birthday was spent alone on the computer with a handle of Stater Bros. whiskey, so I don't really have any perspective on this matter.

At the very least, I still support a tequila shot. Get a decent tequila, with lime and salt, and it's actually pretty good.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2012, 01:46:51 AM »
*coughNOTCUERVOcough*

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2012, 01:49:22 AM »
I would recommend Cazadores, a blanco for sure though.

Mine I spent at a micro brewery, downed 5 pitchers of 7% ale with my two brothers, then tried to hook up with my neighbors wife(almost succesfully too). Good times.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2012, 02:02:03 AM »
bonestar
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:20 AM »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2012, 06:43:08 AM »
Echoing the "don't allow them to give you cheap tequila" sentiment.  Unlikely they'd have it, but my favorite is Lunazul tequila.  It is the smoothest tequila I've ever had and I've had LOTS.  It's damn near buttery, it's so good.

My brother hates tequila with a passion and countless people have pulled the "Oh yeah, well you haven't tried THIS kind!"  I mentioned to him that those are the people who've tried 1-2 kinds and found something tolerable and swear it's the best.  I have tried more different kinds of tequila than I can even keep count of and I swear by Lunazul.  So, armed with the info that I was sure I knew my shit, I told him "Forget about what all those chumps say about their tequila - if you drink this, I promise you will like it."  Though skeptical, he trusted that I knew him well enough to know that he'd like it.

He did.  Enough that a month or so later, he actually went and bought a bottle of it himself.

Now assuming they don't have that, yeah, stay away from Cuervo.  It's the everyman's tequila.  You want better.  Cazadores is good, 1800 is good, Herradura is good, Patron is good.  Basically, if it's a little more expensive and isn't Cuervo or some bargain bin tequila like Two Fingers or Montezuma.  I can see how people could swear off tequila because of a bad experience, but if you stick with quality stuff, your experiences with tequila do NOT have to go that way.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2012, 06:44:55 AM »
Yup.  My first job after college was a Kirby salesman.  It was a great way to work on my demonstration and speaking skills while waiting to find a real job.

My uncle had the same job  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2012, 06:48:49 AM »
Yup.  My first job after college was a Kirby salesman.  It was a great way to work on my demonstration and speaking skills while waiting to find a real job.

So did my wife, before we met.

Anyone ever have a Purple Alaskan Thunder Fuck?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2012, 06:57:42 AM »
I thought that was Kuma's special move in Tekken 2 :huh:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »

No, but I did once have a bartender consult the "black book" on how to make me a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
I do love beer. My current favorite is Staropramen. I find that I really like beer from Czech Republic.

I don't get shitfaced as I used to. One time, I even had alcohol intoxication and that was one of the most horrible experiences I've ever been through.

Nowadays, I strictly drink beer and nothing else. No drinks, no Jägermeister, not even an Appletini! :sadpanda:
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2012, 07:10:41 AM »

No, but I did once have a bartender consult the "black book" on how to make me a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

Can I borrow your towel?

I do love beer. My current favorite is Staropramen. I find that I really like beer from Czech Republic.

I don't get shitfaced as I used to. One time, I even had alcohol intoxication and that was one of the most horrible experiences I've ever been through.

Nowadays, I strictly drink beer and nothing else. No drinks, no Jägermeister, not even an Appletini! :sadpanda:

No appletini? No man card for you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2012, 07:14:13 AM »
My thing is this: at some point, don't you simply get tired of feeling like shit the next day after a long night of drinking?  Sure, you can justify it by saying, "I had a great time last night," but I can have a great time most of the time by having little or no alcohol.  The hangovers were what brought my regular drinking to a bare minimum years ago.  And as I have drank less, my tolerance has gone way down, which is why I get buzzed off of almost nothing now.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2012, 07:15:48 AM »
Can I borrow your towel?

Hey, you sass that hoopy black_floyd? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »
I ever tell you how swell you are Coz?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2012, 08:11:15 AM »

You said "swell"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »
My best advice for H is to pace yourself.  What you don't want is to be falling down shitfaced 45 minutes after you hit the bar.  Give yourself time to enjoy a nice buzz and hanging out with friends, so that you get more out of the experience than just a miserable 36 hour hangover.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
My best advice for H is to pace yourself.  What you don't want is to be falling down shitfaced 45 minutes after you hit the bar.  Give yourself time to enjoy a nice buzz and hanging out with friends, so that you get more out of the experience than just a miserable 36 hour hangover.

Sage veteran advice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2012, 08:48:46 AM »
Well said. If you're gonna drink, be sure to bring your friend Moderation. I've heard it's good to drink with him.

No appletini? No man card for you.
Hey, I never said anything about Nectarini. :hat
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
Zucchinitini anyone?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
Can I borrow your towel?

Hey, you sass that hoopy black_floyd? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.
It's OK, he's with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
Thanks Hef. Always knew you had a heart of gold.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »
Yeah this is probably the best advice. It's almost like a challenge, a test of mental fortitude. I'm really not a bar/club type person, so this isn't becoming a habit (so I say now), but the prospect of having the same rights as every other American adult is sweet.

I like to run early in the mornings, so I'm going to try my best to prove my consistency through the pain. Probably an awful idea but I'mma gonna try it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
Actually, a really good sweat is a pretty good thing to do when hungover.  Leave a bottle of Gatorade in the fridge for in the morning.  In fact, you should probably just go out and buy 6 bottles or so. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
Yeah, my bro is telling me to go with a few AMF's. Maybe later in the evening but not right away.

I'd avoid that one, and here are a few others to avoid...

three wisemen

Haha I knew that was going to be on the list as soon as I saw it.  When people bring up drinks to avoid, Three Wisemen is always the first thing that comes to my mind.  Maybe that's just because I don't like whiskey.

Drinking is a strange thing for me, though.  I'm 22 and in college, so I do get drunk quite regularly, but it is by no means a staple in my life.  I don't crave drinking or need it to have fun....it's just another way for my friends and I to enjoy a night on the weekend.  I don't get sloppy or aggressive or douchey when I drink...I just become a goofier, less self-conscious, and more outgoing version of my regular self.  Most of my friends are the same way so things always get quite ridiculous but never dangerous or reckless.

It's funny, because I had very similar sentiments on drinking/drugs as the girl in the OP until I was a sophomore in college.  I had plenty of fun for the first 20 years of my life without substances that altered my mind, so I was adamantly against drinking.  However, all my best friends would drink together every so often and eventually I kinda said ahhhh wtf I'll try it too.  I then realized that you don't have to be a sloppy raging asshole to enjoy getting drunk with your friends.  I can get drunk and stay in control while still having a lot of fun....then not get drunk for a month and realize that I don't miss it.  So if I were talking to the girl in to OP, I'd tell her that getting drunk is like a fun little novelty for myself.  It's not like I'm trippin on mushrooms and I'm outside of my god damn mind...I'm still me.  I'm still me when I'm angry, or when I'm tired, just as I'm still me when I'm feeling a bit goofy from alcohol (can't speak for everyone on this).  Basically, saying "drunk people get stupid and it sucks that people want to be like that" is a rather short-sighted statement as isn't necessarily how it is at all.

EDIT: and to H:

my advice:

EAT A LOT OF FOOD BEFORE YOU START DRINKING. You have to, or you will be in a state of "been got" by the end of the night.

Also, drink slowly....work your way into it.  Don't let people force you to drink fast or drink things you don't think you can handle.  Just drink at your own pace.

And before you go to bed, you HAVE TO DRINK TONS OF WATER.  If you don't you will be hung over.  You must rehydrate your body after a night of drinking, especially if you plan on running in the morning.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:18:46 PM by FiberglassMoon »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »
What is a ton of water?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
For every serving of alcohol try to have a standard cup of water, plus a few glasses before and after.  That should suffice as a ton, plus, it will help make you feel less likely to want to drink.

Keep this in mind, if you are drinking and you already feel bad, you're going to feel far worse in an hour and there's nothing you can do about it.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
What is a ton of water?

2000 lbs.

But seriously, I think a good idea is to force yourself to drink about 32 ounces before going to bed and then take that 32-ounce cup fully refilled with you and keep it within arm's reach so your degenerate booze-zombied ass can easily reach it in case the creature murks your will/ability to get up.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
Don't overthink it, don't go asking on a forum what to do, just enjoy.

Also lol21agelimit.

Also2; tequila = :puke: for me

• DT.net Member
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »
More like for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
More like for me.

This is how you become a "before" Model.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »

:o

Dude, what the fuck!!!!!!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »
Arj comes through with yet another humdinger :metal