Author Topic: Wintersun thread (New album, "TIME I", is out!)  (Read 26268 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Wintersun thread (New album, "TIME I", is out!)
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2017, 07:47:20 AM »
Sorry about the obligatory plugging, but the website that I write for did an interview with Jukka earlier this month about the crowdfunding campaign.

Online Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »
Full concert from Nummirock last weekend, semi-official bootleg uploaded by Jari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvrllx0xDPU

The show starts with Awaken from the Dark Slumber (Spring).
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2017, 01:08:04 AM »
Yeah I saw it a couple of days ago, Jari's live vocals have improved out of sight since he dropped playing guitar.
Three weeks today the new album drops, along with all the the other crowd funding goodies, can't wait.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #213 on: July 20, 2017, 11:40:25 PM »
Bumping this, as the new album The Forest Seasons is out today.
Got my link for the CF package around 0300, so I was tired but eager to sample.

Glad to say that the album is nothing like Time 1, but still has many layers to pick away and digest before fully appreciating.

Oh the isolated Time ! tracks are amazing and killer songs in their own right.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »
Unfortunately I am not really digging the new album thus far. Not really a hook that stood out to me, but I can't say it is bad either.

And a little pet peeve of mine is how Jari handles "choirs". He rallies up an x amount of dudes and let's them sing the same melody in a lower and higher octave, layers them over each other, and calls it a day. It can sound neat here and there as it sounds like a group of friends singing a song at a party, but it for his ambitious epics I find it lacking.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:01 PM »
It's actually a real love of mine with Wintersun and also Ensiferum do it now and then.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2021, 03:28:52 PM »
Their live studio version of Sons of winter and stars is still as epic!  :metal

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2021, 03:35:39 PM »
Got my hopes up when I saw this thread bumped.

But yeah, that DVD that comes with Time 1 is incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2021, 03:37:42 PM »
Yeah me too, I don't think Time II will ever come out now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: September 07, 2021, 03:41:34 PM »
I will say, I think The Forest Seasons is my fav Wintersun album, that's the one I go to anyway the most.  4 brilliant songs.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2021, 04:38:27 PM »
Oh sry guys, I know very well it's sensetive to bump this thread without news. Time runs slow in Jaris part of the world. :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2021, 08:56:51 PM »
Oh sry guys, I know very well it's sensetive to bump this thread without news. Time runs slow in Jaris part of the world. :lol

Runs backwards I'm pretty sure.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2021, 07:36:21 AM »
I will say, I think The Forest Seasons is my fav Wintersun album, that's the one I go to anyway the most.  4 brilliant songs.

TFS is actually an all Jari demo that he polished into a fully fledged Wintersun album.
He plays all the instruments, drum machine, with only the backing vocals from the other band members.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2021, 07:48:17 AM »
At the very least I hope he will just go into the studio and record that Time song that never released and that they played live like a decade ago.

Interesting, maybe I need to revisit it to see if I like it more.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2024, 02:43:59 PM »
Early April fool's day joke, Jari has posted that Time II is 100% complete  :biggrin:

WINTERSUN ALBUM UPDATE - BIGGEST WINTERSUN NEWS
TIME II = 100% DONE. Enough said.
"This album has been the biggest challenge in my life and I'm still kinda surprised it is finally done." - Jari
“The day finally came: TIME II is done!! Couldn’t be happier!” - Jukka
"I thought this day would never arrive and when Jari sent me a message that TIME II was ready I still couldn’t understand that we were finally done after all the obstacles and challenges. I am more than happy now. Cheers!" - Kai
"Whoa, I think Jari surprised us all! I’m happy that after all these years the album is finally ready!" - Teemu
Next week a little bit more information about the album release plans... Stay tuned!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2024, 02:51:35 PM »
Early April fool's day joke, Jari has posted that Time II is 100% complete  :biggrin:

WINTERSUN ALBUM UPDATE - BIGGEST WINTERSUN NEWS
TIME II = 100% DONE. Enough said.
"This album has been the biggest challenge in my life and I'm still kinda surprised it is finally done." - Jari
“The day finally came: TIME II is done!! Couldn’t be happier!” - Jukka
"I thought this day would never arrive and when Jari sent me a message that TIME II was ready I still couldn’t understand that we were finally done after all the obstacles and challenges. I am more than happy now. Cheers!" - Kai
"Whoa, I think Jari surprised us all! I’m happy that after all these years the album is finally ready!" - Teemu
Next week a little bit more information about the album release plans... Stay tuned!
So they took over 11 years to complete it, now is it going to take another 11 years to release it?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2024, 04:36:44 PM »
This album is fair in the 'believe it when I see it' category, but definitely interested and hopefully is does come out sooner rather than later.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2024, 05:52:17 PM »
... no way!   :omg:

Some of his music for me is the best of it's genre and both Wintersun probably would rank quite high in my top 50 albums of all time. A new Wintersun release will have my attention, but this will be one of those cases where it is hard to live up to the legacy behind it. Not just after Time I, but the fact that the whole Time thing began in 2006.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2024, 08:06:16 PM »

Some of his music for me is the best of it's genre and both Wintersun probably would rank quite high in my top 50 albums of all time. A new Wintersun release will have my attention, but this will be one of those cases where it is hard to live up to the legacy behind it. Not just after Time I, but the fact that the whole Time thing began in 2006.

I agree.  With the build up and hype of this for so long, no matter how good it could be, it probably still won't meet the collective expectations.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2024, 09:36:55 PM »

I agree.  With the build up and hype of this for so long, no matter how good it could be, it probably still won't meet the collective expectations.
I don't know, my expectations are pretty low at this point. I thought Time I was a step down from the first Wintersun album. And then The Forest Seasons was another step down.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2024, 05:06:01 AM »
Yeah, fair enough.  I guess I couldn't really care myself truthfully.  Maybe living up to the hype.....or anticipation is a better term.  I dunno, Forest Seasons is actually my fav so what the hell would I know.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2024, 10:35:05 AM »
People are more than justified to be skeptical at this point. At least with Fear Inoculum, Tool didn't claim to actually be working on the album for all that time it took to come out. :P

Apparently around a year ago the band (which is to say, just Jari) uploaded a "limited time" single to Bandcamp called Warning, and this RYM review is one of the most hilariously brutal things I've read on the website. :lol

Jari slapped together this desperate, pathetic, sad and embarrassing 2-minutes of djenty cringe so that he could shill some new guitars. This song and music video are nothing more than ad space.

It's probably not even worth commenting on the fact that this sounds nothing like Wintersun of the past or that despite Jari's well-developed self-cultivated image as some kind of autistic perfectionist when it comes to mixing his tracks, the mix on this sounds atrocious.

Wintersun is quite possibly the longest-running, most successful scam in all of metal. It's the grift that keeps on giving. The utter train wreck that is this "band" is nothing if not entertaining, and if there is anything to be gleaned from this release, it is indeed a warning that the future of Wintersun looks bleaker and more comedic than ever.

Stay classy, Jari.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2024, 02:06:27 PM »
I'm actually cautiously optimistic because this material was written simultaneously with Time I. He can ruin it with too many bells and whistles, of course :biggrin:
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2024, 04:58:53 PM »
The Time album was originally supposed to be released as one complete album.
NB forced Jari to give them a partly completed album, hence Time I.
Time II was supposed to be out 12 months after the first Time, but as we know that never happened.

Down the years Jari stated on his FB page that Time II will never be completed and a bunch of other diatribe.
Which asks the question, will Time be released as a complete album and will the Time I material, be remixed, re-amped to sound the same as Time II?

Put it this way Wintersun has actually only released one full album, the S/T debut.
Time I was only half an album and TFS was a Jari demo that he sold us as a proper WS album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2024, 08:35:30 PM »
He did redo Time I about 6 years ago or so and released it on their Bandcamp. That's the version I have, which he called Time I 1.5.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #235 on: January 15, 2024, 07:03:39 PM »
Time II crowdfunding campaign starts March 1st....
I'm getting a bulk supply of popcorn for this one  :biggrin:

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #236 on: January 15, 2024, 07:10:17 PM »

BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #237 on: January 15, 2024, 07:10:51 PM »
He did redo Time I about 6 years ago or so and released it on their Bandcamp. That's the version I have, which he called Time I 1.5.

This was first sold as part of the original CF package and not really that much different from the original NB version.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #238 on: January 15, 2024, 07:21:31 PM »
I mean I'll buy the album if it actually comes out, but I'll pass on that crowdfunding deal.

I imagine it'll reach its goal pretty quickly, though. People don't learn.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: January 15, 2024, 07:22:34 PM »
I'm getting a bulk supply of popcorn for this one  :biggrin:
Wait.....is this real?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2024, 07:31:41 PM »
lol I didn't even bother to check.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2024, 07:34:49 PM »

Yeah.......nah.  I'll pass.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2024, 07:39:45 PM »
TIME II RELEASE AND WINTERSUN CROWDFUNDING II (FOLLOW-UP UPDATE)

So last Friday, we dropped the biggest news and gave a Wintersun album update of a lifetime! And yes indeed, TIME II is finally done. 100% DONE! And it sounds massive!

Were you guys surprised? 🙂

Thank you to everyone for supporting and helping us to get it finally finished! We’ll be dropping more information along the way about the album and how all this happened.

Now… We need just a little bit more patience from you guys while we prepare everything for the release. The album booklet (Gyula Havancsák is working on it), promo photos (we have a photoshoot soon with Onni Wiljami Kinnunen), merchandise, physical release (CD, vinyl) with Nuclear Blast, etc.

If everything goes according to plan, the album release will happen in the late summer of 2024, the latest early fall.

Before that, we will launch the second crowdfunding campaign, planned to start on March 1st, which will be a pre-order for a very big PACKAGE that will include TIME II. More information about this later, but let’s just say that there are a lot more surprises we have in store for you!

Wait, I don't get it, if it's all getting done now with the release, what's the crowdfunding for?  What would happen if he didn't meet a specific financial goal?  I'd hate to think.  :lol

Unless he's just trying to get as much of the costs back as possible in quick turnaround?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: February 29, 2024, 05:15:54 PM »
To be fair, the package for the price is actually pretty damn good.  Lots of content.