Author Topic: Wintersun thread (New album, "TIME I", is out!)  (Read 26145 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Wintersun thread (New album, "TIME I", is out!)
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »
I'm not holding my breath  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2014, 07:32:46 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »
Posted by Jari on FB, doesn't seem we will see Time II anytime soon.

Reality Update About Crowd Funding, TIME II And Future Albums

I´m very happy to see that we have so much dedicated fans that would be willing to pledge and be a part of funding a studio for Wintersun, so I could make the next Wintersun album without it taking another 10 years again.

I´ve been thinking about this Kickstarter/Pledge crowd funding thing for a while and I´m very confident now that there is enough of you guys that would help us raise the money for the Wintersun studio! This would give me the freedom to make music efficiently and nonstop. It would eliminate lot of the problems I´ve struggled with all my life and still continue to struggle everyday. For example right now I need a studio to reamp guitars for TIME II. And not just any studio, my own studio where I can craft my sounds exactly like I want them. 3rd party studios have never worked for me and I´ve never gotten satisfactory results for the insane prices they charge.

I live in a small shitty apartment building and I have neighbors. It is very very hard to work like this. I can´t record vocals, I can´t practise my singing, I can´t record guitars, I can´t record guitars even with modelling amps, because the electricity is so bad in this shitty building so I get lots of interference, I even play and practise the electric guitar acoustically without an amp 99% of the time in my home, I can´t record drums or basically any acoustic instruments, I don´t have the room or cool space for a big computer farm which is a must for the orchestrations for the next album (the place is too small and hot even for the one computer I have), I can´t mix properly, ´cause the room is so bad and there´s always ambient noise in and outside the building. That´s why I usually turn my sleeping rhythm around and mix at nights, but that causes problems in my everyday life. I can´t do pretty much anything properly in this situation. Building a professional studio for Wintersun would erase all this and give us the freedom to make music nonstop. It would upgrade our album sound significantly and most importantly speed up the album making process significantly. This would even raise our live game. With proper preproduction, able to tweak our live sounds and setup properly we would sound pretty incredible live. We would also be able to rehearse more and that would allow us to be able to play live more often and come to places where we normally have not been able to come. The studio would allow us to have more time for everything.

But the problem is this. I have a record deal with Nuclear Blast. If I would do a Kickstarter with a downloadable album for example, they would come with lawyers and take % share (more than half) away from the money that is your money meant for the Wintersun studio and the album production. Would you even want to pledge if Wintersun didn´t get 100% of the money you´ve pledged for the album production? Then our management would take their % share away. Then there´s taxes of course. The Finnish government would take something like 40% away. This would leave me nothing. I would be totally screwed. I´ve been trying to have a discussion with Nuclear Blast about crowd funding, but they are totally freaking out. They see the crowd funding as a threat to their business and they would rather see Wintersun dead, than me doing a crowd funding. I think this would not hurt them at all, only benefit them, but they cannot see the big picture of Wintersun doing well. They actually told me point blank that I should just stop making music and they will never release Wintersun from the contract. It´s really like this, because they can´t or won´t loan me enough money to build a studio and fund an album, they don´t want other people (the fans) to fund it either… unless they get a crazy big cut of the funding (for doing absolutely nothing).

This is the way a record deal works: The label gives an advance to make an album. This is a loan and they will recoup every penny back from the record sales. The reason why TIME I&II has taken so long to make (and still is taking long to finish TIME II), is because I haven´t gotten enough advances (money) to make these complex albums. Not even close. So I´ve been struggling all these years and sacrificed everything to make these albums. I have never really made any money from Wintersun. All my money has gone to album production, but you can guess who have made tons of money from Wintersun. The point is that I need my own studio to make the future albums, but Nuclear Blast won´t be able to loan enough money to make that happen and then they won´t allow me to do a crow funding campaign either that would make it happen. And even if Nuclear Blast would be able to loan me the money for the studio, our management would take their share of that money and I would get only part of the money, but I would still have to pay back 100% to Nuclear Blast from the record sales. So I would actually lose big chunk of the album production money straight away, which makes no sense at all. And then there´s the taxes. So there´s no point of taking these “loans” either.

This all is stressing me out very badly and it´s slowing my workflow. I´ve got enough technical problems to deal with making these albums. I just want the freedom to make music, but I guess it is what it is. Honestly, I feel like I´ve signed a deal with the devil and I´m just a slave in the system.

I´ve got probably 5 long albums worth of new insanely good material! And there´s no filler material at all! The music is much more refined, much more advanced in arrangement/composition/productionwise. It´s diverse and beautiful, heavy, chaotic and exploring different styles&themes and some new dimensions I feel no band has explored before… The stuff is simply on another level, in a different universe than the debut album and the TIME albums combined. I wrote the TIME albums around 2006 and before, that was a lifetime ago. Think of the stuff I´ve written ever since to this day! And I just keep on writing, I feel like I´m on fire. The music is just flowing out of me. I´m so excited about all this new music and I can´t wait to start recording and sharing it with you… BUT I can´t without a studio, that´s the problem…

Jari

p.s. Should have stayed working in the post office!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2014, 12:38:48 AM »
Wow this is really bad :'(

I hope he'll find a way to solve these problems, because he's so passionate about his music and one of the greatest metal musicians ever in my opinion. This just sucks.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2014, 12:48:29 AM »
Sounds like he's better off without a label or atleast Nuclear Blast and do crowdfunding instead but then again i'm not sure how big their fan base are and if it's enough. You probably loose some other perks not being with a label as big as Nuclear Blast. It's really sad to hear!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:08:04 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2014, 09:35:01 AM »
Hey everyone,
We are aware of Jari’s recent statement on his current situation and business experiences with Nuclear Blast regarding the most anticipated “TIME II” album. We highly appreciate the strong reactions this statement has caused in the metal community as it once more shows how much people care about their fellow metal heads and especially the musicians that go through many hardships to give us what we all enjoy the most: A good blast of METAL
We also have always been metal fans at heart and we still strive for the same goal we have since the formation of Nuclear Blast 27 years ago: To support our artists in the best way possible and to get the music everybody deserves out to our fans worldwide.
This being said the business side of music can often be rough and especially with a project as extensive as the TIME series compromises have to be found to make an album both beautiful and feasible to all parties involved – the musicians, the fans and the label. This process includes many things that should not be discussed in public as debates sometimes get heated and misunderstandings occur, but we take great pride in the relationship with our artists until this day.
So be assured that we all love Wintersun as much as you do – nobody at Nuclear Blast wants to see them gone and we are working together with Jari and his management to find the optimal solution for his concerns.
Stay true,
Nuclear Blast

Nuclear Blast laid out a pretty respectful response to him. I've always liked Nuclear Blast, so I definitely won't be blaming them for one of their artists wanting more than what they can reasonably give.

Some person in the comments at Metalsucks said it best though:
i.e., "They burned through their advance long ago, and it's really not our fault that they can't find a way to record this album cheaply. We also have more than a few reservations about a guy who insists he can't just track a fucking album in a professional studio like every other professional musician is capable of doing, and needs to build his own damn studio instead.

And we're not going to let him start a crowdfunding campaign either, since we fucking own a piece of those crowd funded revenues under the language of our contract. Plus, he'd be able to use that studio to generate income down the road by tracking other bands that we wouldn't necessarily get a piece of. Fuck that."  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »
Hey everyone,
We are aware of Jari’s recent statement on his current situation and business experiences with Nuclear Blast regarding the most anticipated “TIME II” album. We highly appreciate the strong reactions this statement has caused in the metal community as it once more shows how much people care about their fellow metal heads and especially the musicians that go through many hardships to give us what we all enjoy the most: A good blast of METAL
We also have always been metal fans at heart and we still strive for the same goal we have since the formation of Nuclear Blast 27 years ago: To support our artists in the best way possible and to get the music everybody deserves out to our fans worldwide.
This being said the business side of music can often be rough and especially with a project as extensive as the TIME series compromises have to be found to make an album both beautiful and feasible to all parties involved – the musicians, the fans and the label. This process includes many things that should not be discussed in public as debates sometimes get heated and misunderstandings occur, but we take great pride in the relationship with our artists until this day.
So be assured that we all love Wintersun as much as you do – nobody at Nuclear Blast wants to see them gone and we are working together with Jari and his management to find the optimal solution for his concerns.
Stay true,
Nuclear Blast

Nuclear Blast laid out a pretty respectful response to him. I've always liked Nuclear Blast, so I definitely won't be blaming them for one of their artists wanting more than what they can reasonably give.

i.e., "They burned through their advance long ago, and it's really not our fault that they can't find a way to record this album cheaply. We also have more than a few reservations about a guy who insists he can't just track a fucking album in a professional studio like every other professional musician is capable of doing, and needs to build his own damn studio instead.

And we're not going to let him start a crowdfunding campaign either, since we fucking own a piece of those crowd funded revenues under the language of our contract. Plus, he'd be able to use that studio to generate income down the road by tracking other bands that we wouldn't necessarily get a piece of. Fuck that."  :lol
:facepalm: Why is it that people always think that the artist owes them something more than what they actually pledge for? If someone wants to start a studio and you pledge for the project, you pledge for the start up process for the studio and not to actually run the studio. If I back an album by an artist, I pledge for the album to be made, I don't get any revenue for the album sales even if the album becomes a hit and the artist becomes a millionare. Stop pledging if you don't like those scenarios!

I'm not saying that Jari should do crowdfunding I just get annoyed by donaters thinking they are shareholders/producers by pledging $10 to a project.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Yeah me too. I would gladly donate a couple of hundred dollars towards getting Jari a decent studio.
I would not expect anything in return, except more Wintersun albums and a little speedier in the making  :metal

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »
Hey everyone,
Stay true,
Nuclear Blast

:facepalm: Why is it that people always think that the artist owes them something more than what they actually pledge for? If someone wants to start a studio and you pledge for the project, you pledge for the start up process for the studio and not to actually run the studio. If I back an album by an artist, I pledge for the album to be made, I don't get any revenue for the album sales even if the album becomes a hit and the artist becomes a millionare. Stop pledging if you don't like those scenarios!

I'm not saying that Jari should do crowdfunding I just get annoyed by donaters thinking they are shareholders/producers by pledging $10 to a project.
That's not about donators, that's with Nuclear Blast. I just posted that person's comment because it's pretty much what Nuclear Blast wants to say but has the manners to not fling shit publicly like Jari did.

They gave him an advance that should have covered recording the album. They don't like the idea of crowd funding to make recording an album that they already get a part of the profits possible, when they already gave him the funds to go into a studio to record it.
There are PLENTY of studios around the world, that are all more than what he needs to record this album, he's just unwilling to work with them which ridiculous. He doesn't NEED his own studio to reamp guitars, it's absolutely ridiculous that he's even claiming that and just goes to show how stubbornly immature he's being.
Also maybe Jari should consider not spending like at least $60k on live equipment. Don't get me wrong, it's all nice and stuff, but a lot of it isn't necessary and they could have saved a lot of money making compromises with their gear, and have more than enough to record the album.
https://www.metalsucks.net/2013/07/30/rigged-wintersun/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:43:00 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »
Niether you or me know how much or if any, advance NB gave Jari.
Any advance would go on the recording of the album and as Jari has said any money made (from live shows, merchandise) goes back into equipment.
I'm sure there are loads of studio's around thew world, but they wouldn't be cheap. Add to that the cost of flight's, hotel and other expenses.

No he does not need his own studio, he said it would make things a lot easier.
He is hardly immature, just very passionate about music and is clearly frustrated with it all.
He must have thought long and hard before posting his rant, the potential backlash not only from NB but also fans.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
I do have some doubts about Jari's capability of managing his recording/mixing/mastering process to be honest. There are a lot of bands which seem to have less of a following than Wintersun/Jari and they seem to be capable of putting out pretty complex albums that sound good.

I do hope he gets the stuff he needs and will continue to make awesome music/give good live shows. I love his artistical side and the two Wintersun concerts I saw were really awesome.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »
That's not about donators, that's with Nuclear Blast. I just posted that person's comment because it's pretty much what Nuclear Blast wants to say but has the manners to not fling shit publicly like Jari did.

They gave him an advance that should have covered recording the album. They don't like the idea of crowd funding to make recording an album that they already get a part of the profits possible, when they already gave him the funds to go into a studio to record it.
There are PLENTY of studios around the world, that are all more than what he needs to record this album, he's just unwilling to work with them which ridiculous. He doesn't NEED his own studio to reamp guitars, it's absolutely ridiculous that he's even claiming that and just goes to show how stubbornly immature he's being.
Also maybe Jari should consider not spending like at least $60k on live equipment. Don't get me wrong, it's all nice and stuff, but a lot of it isn't necessary and they could have saved a lot of money making compromises with their gear, and have more than enough to record the album.
https://www.metalsucks.net/2013/07/30/rigged-wintersun/

but my post was aimed towards backers and pledgers not about Jaris situation or Nuclear Blast and their stance against crowdfunding. I only commented on that guys post and the attitude alot of backers have which I don't like.

Whether you agree or not with Jaris post it was a vent of frustration from his POV. Having fans asking about the album 24/7 can't be an easy thing and I think that led him to do the rant.

If you have a contract with a label they of course will not be happy if you start a crowdfunding campaign. No question about that. Of course NB would never express themself like Jari because they are a company.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »
@Gazinwales
We may not know how much they gave him, but that's what record labels fucking do. They give their signed artists an advance to go record their album. He specifically said he was given this loan, that it just wasn't enough, which I find hard to believe. Studios may not be cheap, but you can always find affordable ones that are still quality studios. The fact that he wants to make his own studio to simply reamp guitars when bands on low budgets do this in their own homes to great effect is hilarious. Not only is that an option, but renting out a studio wouldn't cost that much if he simply needs to do simple shit like that. He can still mix back at his apartment and everything perfectly fine, that's what headphones are for.
His rant was childish, makes a ton of accusations that Nuclear Blast are these evil, money mongering monsters who want to see him and Wintersun perish musically, which is fucking hilarious.

And then he goes on to talk about how they could improve their live sound with a studio when they already have like top of the fucking line gear that they use.

I just have a hard time believing that Nuclear Blast is the one in the wrong here, I've never heard any other bands talk shit about them, and most seem to really like the label. I also find it hard to believe they would let one of their more popular bands die and never release music again, they're a business, and they obviously know that you don't let your money makers die.
Here's a comment from somebody on Metalsucks, he doesn't source anything, but it was all pretty public stuff I guess and the guy said he's a huge fan of Wintersun.
Here's the thing man - we know that NB fulfilled obligations to Wintersun. Back in 06, the band tracked all the guitars, bass and drums in a studio. Then Jari said he would program the synths and do vocals and solos in his home studio. Time dragged on (pun intended!) and he didn't deliver. The label fronted him extra advances for a 64 bit PC he publicly said he needed, and he still didn't deliver; this was back in '08 if I remember correctly. Keep in mind that over all these years, the feasibility of making return sales for an album was exponentially decreasing as people stopped buying albums. From a business perspective, NB seemed pretty helpful; it was Jari/Wintersun, that didn't deliver, and NB watched their investment disappear.

I really loved the first Wintersun and greatly anticipated Time, just to make that clear. I really respect Jari as a musician, he seems like a good guy and it's a testament to him that his band and label stuck by him for 8 years. But by his own admission in interviews, he's said he is living on welfare and not working. It isn't NBs obligation to help him out of whatever sad personal issues are going on with him, and that's the sad reality of all this. What he has is probably great as is - I just wish he'd have the confidence to release it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »
Ummm.....no other band on Nuclear Blast or any other metal label seem to have these sorts of issues and churn out albums at a steady pace.  I don't get it.  Why does he need his own studio, can't he hire a place like everyone else?  Isn't it about getting music to the fans?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
Dark Castle is pretty much spot on.

@Mr. Boom - I crowd find a lot of things, and I've never seen the attitude you are talking about.  We want what we paid for, and nothing more.  I've never seen people extrapolate it to a shareholder situation.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
Also, I just want to clarify that I love Wintersun and their music, I just can't get behind what Jari is saying at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty much with you Dark Castle.

Also, how did he record the last album then?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
Very

Very

slowly.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »
Tracked instruments at a studio, did everything else on a computer Nuclear Blast bought for him after he went on about how he didn't have the proper equipment to mix and do orchestration and vocals at his own place with the computer equipment he had.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »
He just sounds like a little bitch.  No wonder it took so long for the second album.  Screw him, if we never get Time 2, oh well.  A shame, cause I loved both albums.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »
Dark Castle
Yep you make some valid points that I agree with.
But having just started the long road of my own dream of recording my own music, I can sympathize with Jari.
He is obviously a perfectionist, as I am with all things, so he sets the bar pretty high.

I bet he drives NB crazy and they have obviously invested a lot f time and money in Wintersun.

As a massive Wintersun fan (both albums are the most played in my collection) it's incredibly frustrating with the delays and Jari's excuses.
We've pretty much heard it all, before Time I, it was software, hardware and the rest.
I like many fans though everything was all recorded and Time II only needed mixing and mastering to be finished.

BTW was exactly is reamp the guitars?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-amp

In short, it's where you record a dry run of an instrument(usually have a DI, and then an amp just so the guitarist or instrument player has something to listen back to there), and later go back into the studio, and play the recorded track through various amps and other effects like reverb, etc to bring it to life and test out different sounds.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »
Dark Castle is pretty much spot on.

@Mr. Boom - I crowd find a lot of things, and I've never seen the attitude you are talking about.  We want what we paid for, and nothing more.  I've never seen people extrapolate it to a shareholder situation.
I've seen it though but as you say there are alot that are aware on what they pay for and that's cool. I guess the most vocal are probably a minority which should not come as a surprise.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-amp

In short, it's where you record a dry run of an instrument(usually have a DI, and then an amp just so the guitarist or instrument player has something to listen back to there), and later go back into the studio, and play the recorded track through various amps and other effects like reverb, etc to bring it to life and test out different sounds.

Thanks mate, I would have thought that you can do that at home on computer, I know you can do with Logic Pro X and probably with Pro Tools and all the other various recording software.

Great see some activity on the Wintersun thread.
What's everyone's fave WS song?
Mine is Sons Of Winter and Stars  :metal

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »
Same favorite song as you :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »
Hmm pretty hard. Currently it stands between Battle Against Time and Sons Of Winter And Stars.

BAT because it's just a pure energy pill with epic choirs and tight drumming. I love the overal dry production.
SOWAS because it has everything above but turned up to 11 except the dry production. Epic is just the first name. Another cool factor is that it triggers my love for fantasy and reminds me of GoT.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:20:55 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
Funny read - https://lairofthebastard.blogspot.com/2014/07/jari-maenpaa-his-stupid-fucking-face.html

I just think Jari is trying to use the anticipation of his album to get a couple of extra benefits as well instead of just moving on and dealing with whatever problem is going on at the moment.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »
Whatever you might think of Jaris post that was an even bigger rant and just stupid.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »
Whatever you might think of Jaris post that was an even bigger rant and just stupid.

I know and that's why I found it funny.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2014, 01:47:38 AM »

I know and that's why I found it funny.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2014, 02:33:02 AM »
Sons of Winter and Stars, for me pretty much sums up Wintersun to a tee.
Fast, slow, heavy yet melodic, and some great growls and some of Jari's finest clean singing.

Picking a song from the first album is tough.
But I would pick Death and Healing, works for me with the clean singing on the album version and the growls on the demo.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2014, 02:37:19 AM »
Yea it has everything. Really love his clean voice.
Death and the Healing is a good choice.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2014, 02:41:24 AM »
I found a really good multi cam version of The Way Of The Fire.
I didn't want to hear it, but given the news from Jari yesterday, I wouldn't expect to see Time II this year.
I couldn't resist and boy is it an epic and going to sound amazing on the studio version.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2014, 07:18:56 AM »
My favourite Wintersun song is by far Winter Madness. The solo, the chorus, the harmonies and lead guitar and, well, every other aspect of the song. My favourite melodic death song in general.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »
I remember my friends' and my first collective listen of Time I, when the clean vocals appeared, we were all like HOLY SHIT HAS JARI IMPROVED OR WHAT.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise