Author Topic: Leaving your car running  (Read 6053 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Leaving your car running
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
The problem as I see it down here is that the people who drive vehicles 2 tons larger than they need are the exact same people who would never consider parking towards the back and walking a few extra yards.  Myself, I'll park at the back by default just to avoid those assholes. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »
Continuing the trend of bitching about parkers, just because you can cram your God damned H2 into a spot marked "compact only" doesn't mean you should.  Had to park next to somebody during lunch who'd crammed her big-ass mini-van into a narrow spot, and I noticed when I was leaving one of the back quarter-panels was crunched up from a previous attempt that was unsuccessful.  Yet another person who shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Or the dickwads who park so close to your car that getting into yours is an adventure.  And I am 5'11" and 195 lbs., so it is not like I am a huge guy who needs tons of room to open the driver's side door and squeeze in, but when you park so close that even I have trouble getting in, it is a problem.

Totally agree with both of you.  It's maddening!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
No kidding. I've ridden with people who apparently would rather spend 10 minutes cruising around the front of the lot waiting for a space to open, rather than park another 150 feet away and spend an extra, oh I dunno, 20 seconds walking to their destination.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2012, 03:32:49 PM »
I'd do that for a shady spot, I have to be absolutism positively sure there are no available shady spots before I give in :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
Says the man from the desert. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
An Egyptian saying goes "He who's tongue got burned by soup blows at yogurt" ;D
Sounds wiser in Arabic heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 03:50:20 PM »
I'd do that for a shady spot, I have to be absolutism positively sure there are no available shady spots before I give in :lol

Exactly this.  The best parking spot is the one with the shade, regardless of how far it is from the door. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 03:57:13 PM »
The problem as I see it down here is that the people who drive vehicles 2 tons larger than they need are the exact same people who would never consider parking towards the back and walking a few extra yards.  Myself, I'll park at the back by default just to avoid those assholes.
I usually park in the back of a parking lot too. Mainly so I don't need to deal with people trying to get out of their spots. It's a quick and easy in and out. And I really don't mind walking a few extra yards.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline PetFish

« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
The best are the people that leave their laptops and stuff in plain view in an underground parkade and then piss and moan when it gets stolen and it had all their wedding photos on it and blah blah blah.  It's not even about leaving your car running or unlocked.  Just why act so shocked and beg for sympathy when you do dumb shit like that?  And it happens soooooo often people still don't get it.

Just last week some dumbass left her 250-year-old $250,000 violin in the back seat in an underground parkade at the 3rd biggest/busiest mall in Canada (just up the street from where I live).  She goes into the mall, buys TWO Macbooks from the Apple store, walks back to her car and puts those in the back seat then GOES BACK for more shopping and comes back an hour later and guess what?  ALL GONE!  Obviously thieves watch for people carrying purchases back to their cars, especially at Christams.

And of course it's front-page news here and we're all supposed to feel sorry for her when it's 100% her own damn fault.  She also had her iPhone and camera in the vehicle.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »
Even if it was a dumb thing to do (and, don't get me wrong--it was), why NOT feel sorry for her?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
Even if it was a dumb thing to do (and, don't get me wrong--it was), why NOT feel sorry for her?

Apparently if people accidentally put themselves in a situation where others can harm them or similar, then they deserve it.

Or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »
Well, I think that in some of those situations, they DO deserve it.  But whether they deserve it or not doesn't mean one cannot be compassionate and feel bad for them anyway. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
Well, I think that in some of those situations, they DO deserve it.  But whether they deserve it or not doesn't mean one cannot be compassionate and feel bad for them anyway.

Well yea if a person leaves a baby in the car with the windows rolled down, then of course they deserve to have their baby stolen and subsequently eaten by ruthless cannibals.

However merely leaving something of value in plain sight doesn't qualify you to deserve to have it stolen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »
Mmm...babies...  :cannibal2:

Online Adami

« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »
I could watch that for hours.

Of course if I do, the babies will go bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
New favorite emote.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
The best are the people that leave their laptops and stuff in plain view in an underground parkade and then piss and moan when it gets stolen and it had all their wedding photos on it and blah blah blah.  It's not even about leaving your car running or unlocked.  Just why act so shocked and beg for sympathy when you do dumb shit like that?  And it happens soooooo often people still don't get it.

Just last week some dumbass left her 250-year-old $250,000 violin in the back seat in an underground parkade at the 3rd biggest/busiest mall in Canada (just up the street from where I live).  She goes into the mall, buys TWO Macbooks from the Apple store, walks back to her car and puts those in the back seat then GOES BACK for more shopping and comes back an hour later and guess what?  ALL GONE!  Obviously thieves watch for people carrying purchases back to their cars, especially at Christams.

And of course it's front-page news here and we're all supposed to feel sorry for her when it's 100% her own damn fault.  She also had her iPhone and camera in the vehicle.
I couldn't agree any more with the things you posted above. People like this are complete idiots.

On the subject of being sorry for her, there are a few things she did that doesn't qualify her for my sympathy. Leaving a $250,000 alone in a vehicle is a horrible idea in itself. You shouldn't leave something that expensive unattended, locked car or not. Secondly, coming back to her car with the MacBooks and then returning to shop more is idiotic because people will see you doing that and will likely think about stealing it from you. If you purchase something at a store (especially something that is expensive), either 1) move your car and act like you are leaving (or go to another store to continue shopping) or 2) take the stuff home and then return to the mall.

It also helps A TON to hide any valuables that you must leave in the car. Got an iPod? Hide it in the center console. Got a laptop? Put it under a seat, so it is out of sight. This is almost common sense. If you leave stuff in the open, you are begging people to steal your stuff and deserve no sympathy once your stuff is stolen.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »
Amen to that, RMV.

Leaving your iPod, cellphone, purse, etc. out in the open in your car is just inviting someone to steal them.

Having said that, it is hard to not feel a little sorry for the woman in PetFish's story.  While it was dumb to leave all of that stuff sitting out, to get stuff that expensive jacked is awful.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2012, 10:00:14 AM »
I think there's a big difference between stupid and forgetting for a split second since in the cases where it's accidental, the people that did it wouldn't have done so had they not had a momentary distraction. It almost seems like you've got some grudge against those folks and thusly call them stupid out of spite.

No more of a grudge than against people who do any number of other stupid things.
I hope nothing unfortunate ever happens to you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2012, 08:30:28 AM »
If you leave stuff in the open, you are begging people to steal your stuff and deserve no sympathy once your stuff is stolen.

I think it's a pretty sad commentary on the state of the world leaving stuff in the open is 'begging people to steal your stuff.'  Not that I disagree or anything, it's just sad. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
My father used to live in Inuvik, Northwest Territories, and up there they used to leave their cars running all day during the winter.  Because if you turned them off you couldn't get them to turn on again.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
I think there's a big difference between stupid and forgetting for a split second since in the cases where it's accidental, the people that did it wouldn't have done so had they not had a momentary distraction. It almost seems like you've got some grudge against those folks and thusly call them stupid out of spite.

No more of a grudge than against people who do any number of other stupid things.

Thanks, but I'm sure I'm about due to do something really boneheaded (again) soon. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »

That quote makes you sound very...Italian.  :dimitrius2:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
15 minutes can save you 15% when you call Geico.
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »

Thanks, but I'm sure I'm about due to do something really boneheaded (again) soon. 

You aren't gonna save a bunch of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon