Author Topic: Electronic Arts is promoting partnership with weapons manufacturers  (Read 1200 times)

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
EA is promoting its partnership with real-world weapons manufacturers for Medal of Honor: Warfighter by letting players buy the real thing.

https://www.gamespot.com/features/ea-guns-and-the-dangers-of-brand-identity-6391777/

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this?

BTW shoud this be in the P/R section maybe? If so, feel free to move! :)

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Electronic Arts is promoting partnership with weapons manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »
I heard about this, it's really bizarre.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »
Christ.  Can you imagine if Rock* did this?  I want a Nico Bellic signature PSG1!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
Christ.  Can you imagine if Rock* did this?  I want a Nico Bellic signature PSG1!

:lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
E...A...Sports! Itsinthechamber!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:05 PM »
These games that glorify war already made me really uncomfortable (not that I didn't play them anyway...), but this is really just too much.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
These games that glorify war already made me really uncomfortable (not that I didn't play them anyway...), but this is really just too much.
I totally agree!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »
I'm torn.

On one hand, I hate that "OHMYGODWEAPONSARESCARY!!!!!" bias inherent to the negative reaction to this.  Weapons are cool.  If you don't like them, please don't make life boring for the rest of us.

On the other hand, the last thing you want to do is trivialize the purchase of weapons.  "Hey kids, buy one copy of or Medal of Honor this September, and we'll also give you an AR-15 free or charge.  Order in the next 24 hours, and we'll give you a 30 round clip!"  There's like zero hint of the need to be responsible involved.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
This reallllllllly doesn't sit well with me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
I'm torn.

On one hand, I hate that "OHMYGODWEAPONSARESCARY!!!!!" bias inherent to the negative reaction to this.  Weapons are cool.  If you don't like them, please don't make life boring for the rest of us.

On the other hand, the last thing you want to do is trivialize the purchase of weapons.  "Hey kids, buy one copy of or Medal of Honor this September, and we'll also give you an AR-15 free or charge.  Order in the next 24 hours, and we'll give you a 30 round clip!"  There's like zero hint of the need to be responsible involved.
Yeah, I agree.  There's also the problem that there's really no correlation whatsoever between gaming and shooting real guns.  They shouldn't be trying to draw the connection.  Particularly since that asshat Jack Thompson will almost certainly sue another game maker the next time some kid flips out and kills his classmates, and this might actually help him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
There's also the problem that there's really no correlation whatsoever between gaming and shooting real guns.  They shouldn't be trying to draw the connection.

Good point.

Fortunately though, Jack Thompson was disbarred.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 01:45:45 AM »
All they did was provide a link? Judging by the OP, I thought it was something like "Pre-order at GameStop and get an AK-47!"
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 02:04:25 AM »
All they did was provide a link? Judging by the OP, I thought it was something like "Pre-order at GameStop and get an AK-47!"

Yeah, I thought it would be more, although I think it was a very silly idea anyway.
The vast majority of people playing these games aren't looking to buy real weapons, they just want a fun video game where they can shoot shit up. There's not really a strong correlation as far as I'm concerned. And even by providing links on their site, they're opening themselves up to the anti-video game types and for lawsuits when that one idiot goes on a spree with a gun.
"Oh look, Timmy owns a violent video game, and this video game site provides links to weapons, so obviously the problem is video games!" I don't think it's in anyone's best interests to try and make a stronger connection there. And for the people who actually do buy these guns, they manage just fine without going through a video game's website anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »
Did anyone actually read the article?

[UPDATE]: Within a couple of hours of this story being published, EA deleted the partner site and Greg Goodrich post links from its Warfighter page, and one of Goodrich's posts. EA has since provided GameSpot with a comment in regards to this, which can be found at the bottom of this article.

"After listening to feedback from the community and reviewing our program for supporting veterans, we have withdrawn the Tomahawk from the promotion and removed related URL links on our website. We continue to work with gear manufacturers to provide an authentic videogame experience and to support veteran’s organizations. Medal of Honor is committed to delivering an emotional, authentic depiction of the today’s war and today’s soldiers. It is inspired by real people, real places and real operations. The game is M-Rated and a work of historic fiction. Though a work of entertainment, the themes, scenarios and battles are a sensitive subject and may stir conversation among press and players."

Still, a really strange move. Who's bright idea was this?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.