Author Topic: I Had A Dream  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
I Had A Dream
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
No, not a Martin Luther King type.

Seriously. I had a dream last night that had me waking up in a cold sweat. Dreams I know can be quite unrealistic in retrospect but this one shook me up.

In the dream I was living in a community of people that were all very close knit together. Times were hard and the world economy was on the brink of total collapse.

Rumors were circulating that the time was short, as far as the global economy goes and people were stressed and very worried.  Something ominous was coming sooner than later. Then it happened...

The bulletin came across the news that the global economy had completely crashed. There would be no jobs to go to. No food to be had. No gas or oil for heating. The world because a completely dark place void of any solace in the blink of an eye. No government anymore. Every man for himself.

The world went into a mass panic. Global chaos ensued as there were no answers. No solution. Total destitution.
People were trying to formulate plans to band together and move into remote locations to try and survive any way possible.
I have to be honest the dream scared the shit out of me and I woke up at 5 am with my heart racing.

I thought about why I would have such a dream and if the situation could ever become a reality. Then I thought to myself. If may not go down like it did in the dream, but in all reality, why couldn't it happen at some point?

When I think about the wall street crash in 08 and the panic that took place I help help thinking at some point something worse could be in store for us in the future.

Maybe you all think I'm nuts but the dream brought me some sobering thoughts.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: I Had A Dream
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
Charlie?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
Charlie Dominici. He has certain 2012 visions, to say it mildly :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »
I think your nightmare tapped into Praxis's perfect world.

Did you have a lot of guns and love the idea of shooting people who even looked at you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »
Charlie Dominici. He has certain 2012 visions, to say it mildly :lol
I did have this dream last night and the more I meditated it the more it disturbed me. I don't know if its more fiction or science fiction. I'd love to know these Charlie story's you speak of?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
I think your nightmare tapped into Praxis's perfect world.

Did you have a lot of guns and love the idea of shooting people who even looked at you?
There actually were no guns at all in the dream, just wide spread fear, chaos, confusion, and panic. It all seamed so real. It shook me up quite a bit, because it seamed so possible.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »
In all seriousness, no, I don't see any reason that Tick's dream might ever conceivably come true.

Things don't look so great in the Western world today.  There's been a magnificent recession, one that hit America hardest and that we're still struggling with.  Additionally, our political system has become increasingly stagnant and contrarian and ineffective.  However, I honestly think that this doesn't mean our system will ultimately fail; this is just an issue of refinement.  Anarchy isn't being taken very seriously as a solution to these problems; we just need to straighten out the details.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »
A very wise man once said that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.
Quote from: Cyril
I'm going to fall on top of you if I do and we'll both go down together

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
This is very characteristic of the malaise felt by many Americans in the 1970s, and hey, we got through that just fine. I also find it interesting that - and I'm going to cover this in September or October on my blog - people in Western culture are so obsessed with this idea of total civilizational collapse, and I don't think it's just a coincidence.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
The global economy could collapse but there would still be governments. I would imagine governments would become much more influential than they are now. They would be desperate for resources and start fighting wars irrationally.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:35:41 AM »
The global economy could collapse but there would still be governments. I would imagine governments would become much more influential than they are now. They would be desperate for resources and start fighting wars irrationally.
Governments with no power have little authority.

Will a government that can offer no help or solutions at that point have an ounce of power? What good would they be? Would people have an ounce of respect for that authority? Seriously. Government could call itself government but if there was an absolute collapse they would have very little power to control what would take place.
I do think my dream is not beyond the realm of possibility. Maybe not outlined in a blueprint of what I dreamed but in some capacity it could happen.

If the worlds economy completely collapsed tomorrow what do you think the result of that would be?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 06:03:04 AM »
Well with an apocalypse as vague in nature as the one you've proposed, how can we hope to answer either of those questions?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 06:05:34 AM »
Well with an apocalypse as vague in nature as the one you've proposed, how can we hope to answer either of those questions?
Easily. Simple question. If the world economy completely collapsed( which it could) what power and authority would any government have?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 06:23:09 AM »
What kind of authority and power did government have for the thousands of years during which humans used the barter system? Quite a bit, actually. Certainly more than today.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 07:20:07 AM »
What kind of authority and power did government have for the thousands of years during which humans used the barter system? Quite a bit, actually. Certainly more than today.
Sadly, I believe humans are not adaptable enough to take drastic steps backwards. That's what would have to happen to survive as in days of old. Just my opinion.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 07:20:33 AM »
Yeah, I don't see really much evidence for any of your prophecies. The worst collapse the world has seen was in 1930 with the Great Depression, and that had far worse things leading up to it.

I'll never understand why people are so keen on the apocalypse.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »
Yeah, I don't see really much evidence for any of your prophecies. The worst collapse the world has seen was in 1930 with the Great Depression, and that had far worse things leading up to it.

See, the thing is I don't see it as an apocalypse. I see it as a total global financial collapse to the point of no return. Something far beyond the scope of the depression. Its certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. If it were to happen its anyone's guess what the ramifications would be.
If the depression could happen, who's to say that's the worst we could ever face?

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
I think about it all the time. With everything online, its very very.fragile. Once the computors crash, things will get funky, only buisnesses with paper files will last a little longer. People will resort to the old ways of living. Planting, hunting. The world will be cleansed.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
^I don't see how that's possible at all.  I don't know if there's anything you could do to permanently break all the world's computers at once.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »
A massive solar flare could destroy the power grids of every developed country. Maybe they've made more progress than I'm aware in dealing with this threat, but that's a very real possibility.

Not that it would mean complete chaos. People would still remember how to create power, transport it, etc, so we wouldn't descend into a dark age, maybe just a few dark years.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
Easily. Simple question. If the world economy completely collapsed( which it could)

Er, no, it couldn't.  Not in the manner you are describing at least.  Maybe watch less science fiction and avoid eating pizza pockets before bed time, dude  :lol   (I'm kidding, OK, so don't kill me!)

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »
A massive solar flare could destroy the power grids of every developed country. Maybe they've made more progress than I'm aware in dealing with this threat, but that's a very real possibility.

Not that it would mean complete chaos. People would still remember how to create power, transport it, etc, so we wouldn't descend into a dark age, maybe just a few dark years.

I'm not familiar with the threat; are you saying this would short all my home electronics, or something?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »

See, the thing is I don't see it as an apocalypse. I see it as a total global financial collapse to the point of no return. Something far beyond the scope of the depression. Its certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. If it were to happen its anyone's guess what the ramifications would be.
If the depression could happen, who's to say that's the worst we could ever face?

Let's be honest, humankind has prophesied cataclysmic events since its inception. You are in "good" company I guess with your prophecies, I just don't understand people's desire for them.

rumborak

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »

I'm not familiar with the threat; are you saying this would short all my home electronics, or something?

Guess it could do that, but you can't run a computer without power, and a huge solar flare could basically destroy every transformer on the grid. There's ways to prevent this from being as big of a problem (including, making more localized and smaller grids), but it would wreak havoc on the power grid. Our huge power grids a basically a huge magnet.

It could also destroy a ton of satellites, which we rely on for communication.

But it's also something we know about, which means it's much, much less likely to be a problem. Operators put sattelites in safe modes when there's known solar activity, and we're constantly monitoring the sun now. You'll notice that when there's a big solar flare anymore, it makes the internet news. This is the reason why it's become newsworthy, but it also really minimizes the potential damage.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »
Easily. Simple question. If the world economy completely collapsed( which it could)

Er, no, it couldn't.  Not in the manner you are describing at least.  Maybe watch less science fiction and avoid eating pizza pockets before bed time, dude  :lol   (I'm kidding, OK, so don't kill me!)
Hot pockets are gross. That is all.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »

Let's be honest, humankind has prophesied cataclysmic events since its inception. You are in "good" company I guess with your prophecies, I just don't understand people's desire for them.

rumborak
I didn't place an order for my dream, it just happened. As far as it being my desire....umm no.
I am saying that the world come arrive at such a place at some point and time. Why couldn't it? If you don't think it could you have far more faith in mankind than I do.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »
Obviously you didn't "order" that dream, but from your posts here it's pretty clear that in general you do have this outlook on the future. I sometimes frequent the Ron Paul Forums (even though they've gotten pretty dull lately), and there that weird mixture of doom saying, but at the same time eagerness for it to have themselves proven right, is all pervasive.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »
Although technically, the finiteness of the universe and our own planet requires civilization to end eventually. Nowhere near in our lifetime, but hey.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 04:58:03 PM »
Obviously you didn't "order" that dream, but from your posts here it's pretty clear that in general you do have this outlook on the future. I sometimes frequent the Ron Paul Forums (even though they've gotten pretty dull lately), and there that weird mixture of doom saying, but at the same time eagerness for it to have themselves proven right, is all pervasive.
I don't have any outlook as such. I had a dream. I spoke of it. I meditated on it. Its plausible. That's all.