Author Topic: They're remaking Highlander  (Read 4511 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: They're remaking Highlander
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
No one quite plays an Egyptian like Sean Connery.

But really, they had a Swiss guy playing Scottish without even attempting a Scottish accent, and a Scot playing an Egyptian not even trying to hide his Scottish accent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »
Patrick Stewart laughs at your argument, Adami.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
Anyone who lets a remake/sequel/prequel/etc tarnish the awesomeness of an original has only themselves to blame.
An original stands on its own if you allow it to. 

I had three movies on VHS all the way through college.  GoodFellas, Wall Street, and Highlander.

OK, I had four, but I'm not counting Cherry Poppers 13.  :)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Adami

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
Patrick Stewart laughs at your argument, Adami.

Patrick Stewart can make anyone he wants British.

Hell I'm sure most people don't know that Professor X is actually an American and doesn't have an English accent. But he does now, why? Because Patrick god damn Stewart says so!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
Also, the article is factually incorrect:  Sean Connery's character was not a Spaniard.

Wait... he's not?  If Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez is not a Spaniard, what is he?

It's in the movie:

Connor MacLeod: I cannot swim you Spanish peacock.
Ramirez: I’m not Spanish, I’m Egyptian.

Well then he's a very silly person.  He assumed a very Spanish name, he dresses the part as well, but he's Egyptian?

I've seen the movie a couple of times, but it's been a while.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 09:53:23 AM »
Also, the article is factually incorrect:  Sean Connery's character was not a Spaniard.

Wait... he's not?  If Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez is not a Spaniard, what is he?

It's in the movie:

Connor MacLeod: I cannot swim you Spanish peacock.
Ramirez: I’m not Spanish, I’m Egyptian.

Well then he's a very silly person.  He assumed a very Spanish name, he dresses the part as well, but he's Egyptian?

I've seen the movie a couple of times, but it's been a while.

Yes, he assumed a new identity when he lived in Spain (serving as chief metallurgist to the King).  This was some time after he lived in Japan, where he got his sword. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
That all makes sense.  I guess I'm just saying that it's not really a huge mistake to say that Ramirez is a Spaniard.  Sure, there's a bit of dialogue where he clears it up, but as I said, I've seen the movie a few times and didn't remember it.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
They are remaking Red Dawn too.  Is nothing sacred?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

Actually, they already remade it a couple of years ago.  It's just that the film was not released because MGM was going through bankruptcy.  This is the second Chris Hemsworth film that was delayed in such a manner.     

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
That all makes sense.  I guess I'm just saying that it's not really a huge mistake to say that Ramirez is a Spaniard.  Sure, there's a bit of dialogue where he clears it up, but as I said, I've seen the movie a few times and didn't remember it.

This is the internet.  Every mistake must be pointed out and ridiculed, especially if it is about some obscure subject matter.   :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
I understand, and accept my punishment.

Online Adami

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
I understand, and accept my punishment.

You should change your title from "Recovering Musician" to "Recovering Spaniard".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Done.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »
Actually, I've never been a Spaniard before.  Feels good.

Online Adami

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
Actually, I've never been a Spaniard before.  Feels good.

Si?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
Si.

I've been mistaken for Hispanic, though I'm not sure if that's the same thing.  I went into Burger King one time, and the guy at the counter started speaking to me in Spanish.

Online Adami

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 03:27:25 PM »
Si.

I've been mistaken for Hispanic, though I'm not sure if that's the same thing.  I went into Burger King one time, and the guy at the counter started speaking to me in Spanish.

I assume the only reason one would speak to you in Spanish is due to confusion brought about by the intense fear that follows coming face to face with Bob Genghis Khan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
Adami & Rumbo.  Patrick Stewart mocks you drinking Earl Grey tea and not wine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »

Actually, they already remade it a couple of years ago.  It's just that the film was not released because MGM was going through bankruptcy.  This is the second Chris Hemsworth film that was delayed in such a manner.   

Yes I know this, but they are also changing the bad guys too (To Korea from China, for obvious reasons).
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
Si.

"Hispanic" refers back to the original areas conquered by Spain, collectively called Hispania.  This basically includes people from all of the Spanish speaking countries.  So, technically, Spaniards might be included, but I don't think that's the way the term is usually used. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »
I think I may have known that definition at one time.  Where I live, there's a rather large Mexican immigrant population, so around here, "Hispanic" usually just means "Spanish-speaking" or even "Mexican".  Kinda the same thing, but not completely.  I've also noticed that calling someone Mexican is often considered racist, while calling them Hispanic is not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
I've also noticed that calling someone Mexican is often considered racist, while calling them Hispanic is not.

Which is kind of stupid if they actually are Mexican.  I don't know any Mexicans who consider it a problem.  The only people I have ever seen consider it a problem generally fall into one of two groups:  (1) white people who are overly afraid of not being politically correct enough, which is dumb, or (2) other Hispanic people who are not Mexican, in which case it is understandable that they would be a bit miffed that it was assumed that they must be Mexican rather than whatever their actual nationality is.

Kinda reminds me of a situation awhile back regarding the term "African American."  A particular gentlement went on what I consider to be a well-taken rant on that subject.  I don't remember it word for word, but to paraphrase, the gist of it was basically:  "Quit trying to be politically correct.  It's just stupid.  There are a number of people like me who are neither African nor American, so quit assuming that every Black person is African-American because you are afraid of hurting feelings by using the wrong term, which inevitably leads to using the wrong term anyway.  I'm Black, and I'm not ashamed of that, so you shouldn't be afraid to call me that."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »
The best (that is to say "stupidest") example of that was when Star Trek: Voyager first hit the air, which was around the same time that "African-American" was replacing "black" as the politically correct term of the month.  The character of Tuvok was Vulcan, and he was played by Tim Russ, who is black.  The backstory was simple: There are different races of Vulcans just as there are different races of humans.  I think it was TV Guide who referred to him as the first "African-American Vulcan".

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
I've also noticed that calling someone Mexican is often considered racist, while calling them Hispanic is not.

Which is kind of stupid if they actually are Mexican.  I don't know any Mexicans who consider it a problem.  The only people I have ever seen consider it a problem generally fall into one of two groups:  (1) white people who are overly afraid of not being politically correct enough, which is dumb, or (2) other Hispanic people who are not Mexican, in which case it is understandable that they would be a bit miffed that it was assumed that they must be Mexican rather than whatever their actual nationality is.

Kinda reminds me of a situation awhile back regarding the term "African American."  A particular gentlement went on what I consider to be a well-taken rant on that subject.  I don't remember it word for word, but to paraphrase, the gist of it was basically:  "Quit trying to be politically correct.  It's just stupid.  There are a number of people like me who are neither African nor American, so quit assuming that every Black person is African-American because you are afraid of hurting feelings by using the wrong term, which inevitably leads to using the wrong term anyway.  I'm Black, and I'm not ashamed of that, so you shouldn't be afraid to call me that."

Bill Cosby or Morgan Freeman?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »
Whoopi Goldberg had a great quote, which I don't recall exactly, but the gist of it was that she does not consider herself African-American; she is American.  It's the hyphen, the whatever-American that reinforces our differences and prevents America from becoming the true melting pot that it wants to be.

I thought that was awesome.  Ever since then, when people ask me if I'm Chinese, or Asian, or whatever, I tell them that I'm American, born in Detroit.  But my grandparents were Chinese.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
I think I may have known that definition at one time.  Where I live, there's a rather large Mexican immigrant population, so around here, "Hispanic" usually just means "Spanish-speaking" or even "Mexican".  Kinda the same thing, but not completely.  I've also noticed that calling someone Mexican is often considered racist, while calling them Hispanic is not.

I think Latino/Latina is preferred over Hispanic.  I think where "racism" comes into play is if you assume every Latino is "Mexican".