Author Topic: More DVD News -- Over the Edge Productions  (Read 140008 times)

Offline gagedez

Re: More DVD News -- Over the Edge Productions
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
Is the setlist pretty much locked in at this point? A few songs have already been recorded once or more times live...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
Is the setlist pretty much locked in at this point? A few songs have already been recorded once or more times live...

I'm 99% sure TSCO will be on this DVD as well. Which means it's one track I'll be skipping.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »
I can't wait to see this.  Finally a DT live concert on Blu-Ray!!! :tup :tup

And I echo the comments about the crowds down there. Loud crowds made live concerts that much more awesome. :coolio

I still wonder if they are saving a song or two they haven't played at all this year for those shows.  I remember that Innocence Faded hadn't been played in forever until like two weeks before the Score show, it got played a few more times and then showed up on the Score set list. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »

And I echo the comments about the crowds down there. Loud crowds made live concerts that much more awesome. :coolio

I still wonder if they are saving a song or two they haven't played at all this year for those shows.  I remember that Innocence Faded hadn't been played in forever until like two weeks before the Score show, it got played a few more times and then showed up on the Score set list.

Assuming DT don't lose complete touch with their fan base, then it's pretty certain that To Live Forever will show up on the DVD. However I (sadly) doubt any songs will show up on the DVD that have not been played this tour yet. Although since they did whip out Another Day and TLF randomly, I guess it's possible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
Live At Budokan is on Blu-ray.
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline gagedez

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »

I'm 99% sure TSCO will be on this DVD as well. Which means it's one track I'll be skipping.

My thoughts exactly...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 11:19:42 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot that that was recently released on Blu-Ray.  My bad.

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot that that was recently released on Blu-Ray.  My bad.
No problem. You should get that, it is quite awesome. Definitely an improvement over the DVD.
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
Maybe.  I don't even have the Budokan DVD anymore, and I didn't watch it that much when I did have it, so while the Blu-Ray would be sweet, not sure if it is still something I'd ever really watch. And with this new one on the way here pretty soon, I might just wait for that. :D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »
Please let there be a commentary. 

If only there were a thread where you could vote on that...

If only...

Is bosk implying that the thread to vote on what you would like to see most on the new DVD will have a real impact? ;)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »

I'm really hoping they pull out a few songs like this. I'd love to see To Live Forever on the DVD as well as Overture 1928/Strange DejaVu (in place of the heavily rotated 'The Spirit Carries On'), Peruvian Skies, and Caught In A Web.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Mladen

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
Exciting news is exciting.  :corn

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »
Interesting. I hope they'll pull out some rare gems for the DVD, but I'm honestly fine with whatever.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 11:45:35 AM »
This Blu-ray can't come soon enough. Any ideas on when this will come out? Score was filmed on April 1st, 2006 and released in late August later that year, so can we hope for a December release date?
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Adami

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
This Blu-ray can't come soon enough. Any ideas on when this will come out? Score was filmed on April 1st, 2006 and released in late August later that year, so can we hope for a December release date?

MP would have released it already.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »
I have a feeling that the special goodies will push us fans...

over the edge :neverusethis:

Offline Grinch

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »
Well we already are fairly

Close to the Edge  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
Hey guys, look.....another pun that is over the edge

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »
No Adami, not you too.

:neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
I would expect some time in the Spring of next year. Especially since there will be over 5 hours of concert footage to choose the best of the repeated songs, edit everything, sync up to make the film have continuity and not be awkward, film and edit the interviews, documentary and record the possible commentary, etc, etc. This DVD/Blu-ray will take the longest time to make, IMO.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:44:05 PM by Pockets17red »

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
I would expect some time in the Spring of next year.

I....I can't wait that long. This has to come out by January at the latest.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »
I would expect some time in the Spring of next year.

I....I can't wait that long. This has to come out by January at the latest.
Don't count on it. I expect March or April, and making a Blu-ray doesn't help with time, to encode the footage for blu-ray takes a looooooong time and burning the disc will be time consuming as well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:57:33 PM by Pockets17red »

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »
I love that they're shooting this in South America.  The DT fans down there are fucking loud.  They'll get a huge energy boost in the final product.

Disagree 100%.

As long as the crowd doesn't overpower the band who I actually want to hear I'm ok with it.

This. South American crowds are great and energetic, but the rhythmical 'hey, hey' chanting they always do gets on my nerves fast. I wouldn't want that plaguing the DVD.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
I was watching the Chile bootleg the other day and found that the crowd was really good and added to the energy. Before the encore, it seems that its customary to go say "oh" on a very rhythmic manner. It was interesting to watch. The only thing that bugs me was whenever there was a build-up, you could hear them just saying "Dream, Dream, Dream" over and over again and it didn't make sense
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
When you are part of that crowd it makes total sense. Trust me  :)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
I get that, and I love the enthusiasm. It's an adjustment for me
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »
Ever since I attended my first DT concert in '93, I've discovered that Dream Theater is *INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT* to chant.

:mehlin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2012, 02:21:15 AM »
I'd rather see one show in it's whole than two where they'll cut and paste the best parts.  :-\ I hope they mix up the setlist a bit.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2012, 10:26:18 AM »
I hope they decide to release the better of the two shows, and have bonus songs from the other night which weren't included in the main show's set, maybe as part of the bonus features. Then everyone would be happy.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »
I'd rather see one show in it's whole than two where they'll cut and paste the best parts.  :-\ I hope they mix up the setlist a bit.

Why? Bands do shoot over too nights all the time, and most of the time you'd never know unless someone told you first-- and then you'd still be pressed to find evidence. Some extremely classic (And very good recent) live albums/videos were shot over two nights.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »

Why? Bands do shoot over too nights all the time, and most of the time you'd never know unless someone told you first-- and then you'd still be pressed to find evidence. Some extremely classic (And very good recent) live albums/videos were shot over two nights.

This. As long as it isn't done badly, then I have no problems with this. Live After Death was shot over two nights as well and it's one of the best live albums that I know.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
So was Queen Rock Montreal (and most Queen DVDs) and Rush's Snakes and Arrows Live. And Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize. And lots of other concert videos. And tons of classic live albums like Yessongs and Made in Japan.

If a band can manage to sell-out a big venue two nights in a row, filming over both those nights is a win-win. Not only do we fans get more material, but we get better performances of the really important material that got played both nights.

Offline 6sAllTheWay

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
If a band can manage to sell-out a big venue two nights in a row, filming over both those nights is a win-win. Not only do we fans get more material, but we get better performances of the really important material that got played both nights.

Exactly. We get the best of both nights, the best performance of the songs and the play between band and audience.

Without trying to offend anyone here on the DTF from South America I only have one bad suspicion about filming the show in Argentina and that is that I know that the crowds in South America love to do sing along to the guitar parts. I know many bands LOVE that, but I find it rather annoying.

Offline johncal

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »
I don't know why everyone is so ocncerned about the crowd singing along.

First off, they'll be getting their raw tracks out of the sound board. They don't just stick 2 mics in the stadium and record it that way. Secondly, they'll have a few mics around the crowd and mix in what they think is appropriate. They're not shooting this with camera phones. Then they'll go back and mix everything and add effects or change whatever they need to to balance the sound, etc in the mixing stage.

Relax, it'll be awesome! ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
I don't know why everyone is so ocncerned about the crowd singing along.

First off, they'll be getting their raw tracks out of the sound board. They don't just stick 2 mics in the stadium and record it that way. Secondly, they'll have a few mics around the crowd and mix in what they think is appropriate. They're not shooting this with camera phones. Then they'll go back and mix everything and add effects or change whatever they need to to balance the sound, etc in the mixing stage.

Relax, it'll be awesome! ;D

I think the concern is that the crowd will be too high in the mix, and I think it's a legitimate concern as there have been times when the crowd is too loud in the final mix of other live albums. Two that come to my mind are Rush in Rio and Rush's Grace Under Pressure Tour video - I love both those recordings, but don't like the fact that the audience is as loud as it is throughout those shows. Not that I want it to sound sterile like a straight from the soundboard recording (where there's almost no audience sound) - I (and I assume others) just don't want it to be overpowering.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.