Author Topic: More DVD News -- Over the Edge Productions  (Read 139100 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: More DVD News -- Over the Edge Productions
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
And hopefully it isn't like Van Halen's live CD where the crowd cheering is a constant loop. They took a snippet of the crowd cheering wildly and looped it throughout the 2.5 hour CD. It's really bad once you pick up on it.

God, Van Halen made a really bad live CD/DVD.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline PetFish

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »
^^

I would refer you (johncal) to Rush in Rio which is unlistenable due the crowd chanting the entire time thereby completely ruining the show and basically taking my money that I paid for it and cramming it into the shredder.

This is my fear for this new DT release and I will be extremely disappointed and pissed-off if I can't hear the music for the noise.  You want to sing along to the WORDS?  Great.  You want to clap along with James if he decides to be a frontman?  Sweet.  You want to chant the guitar solos and quiet piano parts and clap and scream during Beneath the Surface?  STFU.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:23:10 PM by PetFish »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
^^^

Couldn't agree more. I'm extremely worried that the crowd will be too high in the mix that it completely ruins the DVD for me.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »
I've only heard YYZ from Rush in Rio and I enjoyed it. Even the instrumentals they chant to.  :lol

I don't really have a problem with that though, the energy is almost palpable on the live CD which I find to be quite unique. Although, now that I am listening more to Rush In Rio, (as I type this, I have Tom Sawyer) I do kind of see what you mean. They chant to everything which is kind of getting annoying...
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline PetFish

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »
^^

I pay to hear Dream Theater, not a bunch of yahoos taking over the concert.  If that's the case, they should advertise it like "Dream Theater LIVE with special guests the entire population of South America and their world-famous, overly-loud chanting" and then at least I'd know what I was buying... but then I wouldn't buy it cuz I wouldn't be able to hear what I want to hear.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
You guys are goofy. The louder, the better, I say.  If you want the songs with no crowd noise, that is what the studio albums are for.  Besides, bands feed off energetic crowds, which in turn results in a better performance, visually and musically.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »
You guys are goofy. The louder, the better, I say.  If you want the songs with no crowd noise, that is what the studio albums are for.  Besides, bands feed off energetic crowds, which in turn results in a better performance, visually and musically.

This. A loud crowd will definitely not ruin the DVD for me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »
Unless you are Van Halen. Then you still get a crappy cut/paste live DVD  :P
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »

I think the key is to be balanced with how much crowd noise is in the mix. Not to be sterile, but not overpowering either. I get that the band feeds off energetic crowds, and I want the band to have that (can't tell you how disappointed I've been with the crowds in southern California), BUT I don't need to hear that loudly throughout the entire show. At key times, sure. But to have the crowd noise high in the mix throughout the show takes away from the recording. If you want the audience that high in the mix, listen to an audience bootleg from those shows.  :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »

I think the key is to be balanced with how much crowd noise is in the mix. Not to be sterile, but not overpowering either. I get that the band feeds off energetic crowds, and I want the band to have that (can't tell you how disappointed I've been with the crowds in southern California), BUT I don't need to hear that loudly throughout the entire show. At key times, sure. But to have the crowd noise high in the mix throughout the show takes away from the recording. If you want the audience that high in the mix, listen to an audience bootleg from those shows.  :P

Except live albums have far better sound quality than bootleg recordings. I'm with Kev on this. Frankly Rush in Rio is the perfect example of what a live album should be. The crowd of that show makes me feel like I'm at the show when I'm watching guys up on stage.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:51:41 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »
The crowd noise is one of the reasons Death On The Road is my favorite live Maiden album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
I thought the crowd noise on Score was pretty spot on.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2012, 06:53:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind hearing the chanting throughout, as long as I can still hear the band clearly.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »
I just don't want to have to wait a full pregnancy for this Blu-ray to come out. If they work hard everyday, then there's no reason why they can't have it out by December. Again, Score was recorded in April and released in August.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
I think it's now a matter of Over the Edge productions and how fast they produce and edit the whole thing (and how fast the audio's mixed).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
Fucking THIS.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
I think it's now a matter of Over the Edge productions and how fast they produce and edit the whole thing (and how fast the audio's mixed).
Which is awesome. I love that they are bringing a professional company into the fold for this DVD. They are professionals, so you know it will be good.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
Which is awesome. I love that they are bringing a professional company into the fold for this DVD. They are professionals, so you know it will be good.

Yep. Their work on TSCO was really good, so we already have an example or their work.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
Woah. Why is everyone getting so anxious about the crowd noise? I for one would love to finally see a DT show with good crowd participation, considering both Live at Budokan and Score are like watching DT perform in front of the Terra Cotta warriors.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Woah. Why is everyone getting so anxious about the crowd noise? I for one would love to finally see a DT show with good crowd participation, considering both Live at Budokan and Score are like watching DT perform in front of the Terra Cotta warriors.
At least the Terra Cotta warriors have a good taste in music.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »
Just went back and listened to the end of Learning To Live on Once in A Livetime when the crowd chants the keyboard line. It's fucking awesome. Nevermind my previous posts, if the new DVD is like this, it will be amazing
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
Is the setlist pretty much locked in at this point? A few songs have already been recorded once or more times live...

I'm 99% sure TSCO will be on this DVD as well. Which means it's one track I'll be skipping.

Serious question: will you also "pout" if War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All makes it again as well, which would made it 3 out of the last 4 live DVDs (vs 3 out of the last 5 for The Spirit Carries On)?

And I use the word "pout" affectionately. :biggrin:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »
I don't dislike those two songs as much as I dislike TSCO.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
Honestly, I don't care what songs are featured on this release. Just give me pro-shot video from this tour and I'll be sound as a pound.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2012, 10:13:33 PM »
if War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All makes it again as well

I kinda hope not.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:34:49 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »
I'd rather see The Great Debate on the DVD, personally.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2012, 10:54:24 PM »
I really wouldn't be surprised if they did a crazy version of SDV. Jordan And James already did it and I feel like DT needs to pull out some crazy stuff for this DVD. I'd like a good recording of Another Day as well as a new instrumedley.

Offline 6sAllTheWay

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »
I don't have any issues with crowd noise. It is singing the guitar riffs that gets to me - the crowd can make as much noise as they like otherwise  :biggrin:

Online Adami

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
The only thing about crowds that piss me off (aside from bootlegs where some drunk guy is singing louder than anything) is them attempting to clap before the drums come in and being WAY off time.

It reminds of that video I saw of Pain of Salvation where they started playing a song, then stopped cause the audience clapping was throwing them off. Then they started again, then they stopped again. Daniel had to teach the audience had to clap in off time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2012, 11:56:09 PM »
Usually Prog fans are good with clapping  :D

I always remember what my worship leader told me before a school chapel:
"I want a crazy chapel with these rockin' songs, but I don't want you guys to get everybody clapping! A room full of white people can not be counted on to keep time."
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2012, 12:16:15 AM »
I guess I'm the one who don't like crowd noise and clapping. I mean, yes, the atmosphere and energy add something to the live performance at some level but this is the DVD you can't get everytime. Since this DVD belongs to my favourite band I just want to focus their live performances instead of irritating and abrasive crowd's inharmonious singing and clapping.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2012, 12:47:41 AM »
^^

To help your point I shall cite an example for you with that awful and completely inappropriate up-tempo "happy" clapping in The Answer Lies Within from Score.  Super lame.

By all means, sing the WORDS.  Cheer when James yells "how we doin'".  Clap along and headbang at appropriate times.  But DO NOT SING THE F*CKING GUITAR AND KEYBOARD SOLOS.

Or, how about the men sing the bass lines and the 5-10 women sing the leads?  Why don't we try that?  Sound ridiculous?  Where's the line?  Get Scatman Jack to do Mangini's parts and you have a full-on three-ring circus.

The only way to please everyone is to have an audience overdrive track and a band-only track but I wake up in a dead sweat every night with horrible thoughts of Dream Theater meets Rush in Rio.  *shudder*

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »
Yeah, well that's where the editing comes in. That has nothing to do with the audience. Sometimes a good audience can change songs forever.

Think of how the crowd chants have basically become a part of "Fear of the Dark".

And don't even act like this isn't magical.

Online Adami

« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2012, 01:14:55 AM »
Imagine hearing Creeping Death live without the loud chanting from the audience. Ew.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PetFish

« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »
^^

I don't have to act, that's absolutely AWFUL.  Halfway through all I can think about is how off the clapping is which takes me even further out of the moment.  Holy crap that is horrible.  If I paid good money to go see a show WTF am I paying to go see/hear?  Apparently, not the actual BAND, so why don't we all just gather around a campfire with 80,000 people and sing the songs ourselves?  The band doesn't even need to show up.  Total garbage.